Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

They must have said the word at least 20x in 25 min in case we didn't get it the first time and lots of threesome references.  It seemed like all the tall wife's idea.  She dominated.  Let's not forget the two kids.

• Love 6

I started to watch last nights episode but I'm sorry as soon as they showed the threesome with kids, I was like "no" and proceeded to turn it off. I'm sorry but that bothered me. I feel like marriage should be between two people (don't care about gender or sex) but there is no way that is a committed relationship especially since two are married and then you add in children. That being said people can do what they want and it's not my business. Personal feelings aside, they were annoying and probably actors.

• Love 13
28 minutes ago, blueray said:

I started to watch last nights episode but I'm sorry as soon as they showed the threesome with kids, I was like "no" and proceeded to turn it off. I'm sorry but that bothered me. I feel like marriage should be between two people (don't care about gender or sex) but there is no way that is a committed relationship especially since two are married and then you add in children. That being said people can do what they want and it's not my business. Personal feelings aside, they were annoying and probably actors.

I got the same impression, that they were auditioning for their own reality show. 

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I got the same impression, that they were auditioning for their own reality show. 

When the short one said she sleeps in the middle of the king-size bed I gagged and then felt really bad for those children.

NO. Just no HGTV. No more throuples, puhleeze. I didn't even know that was a "thing" and don't care to see any more of it on HH.

• Love 17

I didn't see it to say whether or not I found them annoying, but on general principle I think it's great that people in a polyamorous relationship were included on a house-hunting show.  It reminds me of when the show first started, and how nice it was to see gay couples among the HHs.

• Love 4

The type A Personality NYC lawyer, who can’t pronounce the letter T, (Manha-in:  There are two T’s in Manhattan, Idiot) was a pain.  The couple has only been married for a year, but I don’t see them lasting more than 3.  She really put him down a lot with comments like “Are you finished”.  Of course, she got her way. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

The type A Personality NYC lawyer, who can’t pronounce the letter T, (Manha-in:  There are two T’s in Manhattan, Idiot) was a pain.  The couple has only been married for a year, but I don’t see them lasting more than 3.  She really put him down a lot with comments like “Are you finished”.  Of course, she got her way. 

I think they picked the best place. That brownstone in Harlem had such amazing historical details. I couldn’t believe that the condo had a $3000+/month fee! Louie the dog was adorbs.

• Love 5

Those three broke the annoying meter when whining that none of the vanities having three sinks. Husband tried pointing out where a third could be added (unlike wife 1, who did that to their marriage).

Meanwhile, any spin-off would revolve around wife 2, the one who had to have things in perfect symmetry (sans irony), who, having sacrificed her two MUST HAVES of white kitchen/3-car garage, plots her revenge.

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Husband tried pointing out where a third could be added (unlike wife 1, who did that to their marriage).

Did that? No one forced the husband to stay or to marry her in the first place. 

• Love 1

Just coming here to discuss the throuple. Wowza. I know there is polygamy but this doesn't seem to be the same because those folks, like Sister Wives, sleep in separate rooms or even separate homes. And the wives don't hook up. This threesome all share...bed and each other. And there are kids there to put 1+1 together. Sometimes giving in to your id (Freud) any way you like isn't the best way to navigate adulthood. I see a flaming disaster at the end of that throuple relationship. Even the Sister Wives members have their share of misery. Shocked that HGTV would go there and do this show, honestly.

• Love 11

Throuple ep:  I don't care what consenting adults do behind closed doors, but having THREE annoying people whine about not getting what they want in a house is just too much!  Do three people really need to be getting ready in the morning at the exact same time that they need 3 sinks?!  Come on!  I agree with the others about them auditioning for a reality show.  

NYNY:  $3500k for monthly fees?!  They were a very mismatched couple and the wife was beyond annoying! And seriously with the dog? UGH!  I hope they do a WATN ep - I would love to see this house after it's renovated.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Throuple ep:  I don't care what consenting adults do behind closed doors, but having THREE annoying people whine about not getting what they want in a house is just too much!  Do three people really need to be getting ready in the morning at the exact same time that they need 3 sinks?!  Come on!  I agree with the others about them auditioning for a reality show.  

NYNY:  $3500k for monthly fees?!  They were a very mismatched couple and the wife was beyond annoying! And seriously with the dog? UGH!  I hope they do a WATN ep - I would love to see this house after it's renovated.  

The dog was the best member of the family!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, juliet73 said:

That condo was soooo overpriced. But I felt bad for the wife. She had to be her husbands freaking mother/secretary. I just hope she does good by that house and doesn't take out everything great and paint all the wood. 

• Love 1

Throuple

When HH began I started watching because I loved to see the interiors of various types of houses. Loved the different styles and regions. But it seems to have transitioned away from being about the houses and real estate, to a show that is more about people and relationships and needs. It is no longer interesting to me. 

I have nothing against polyamory. That threesome was just plain annoying. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The dog was the best member of the family!

I am a dog owner and lover, but it really bothers me to see a dog inside a restaurant.  Outdoor seating is fine with dogs, but yuck to inside.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, edie3 said:

I am a dog owner and lover, but it really bothers me to see a dog inside a restaurant.  Outdoor seating is fine with dogs, but yuck to inside.

Then don't go to France. The French take their dogs inside restaurants a lot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Then don't go to France. The French take their dogs inside restaurants a lot.

A friend of mine who went to Paris told me that.  He also said he was constantly sidestepping dog poop on the sidewalks. 😨

• LOL 1
1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

A friend of mine who went to Paris told me that.  He also said he was constantly sidestepping dog poop on the sidewalks. 😨

That's definitely a problem in the cities.  Guess dog owners don't want to be bothered with carrying plastic baggies with them when they walk their dogs.   

• Love 1

I was sitting at a banquette in an upscale Parisian restaurant for an hour before realizing the couple next to us had a pup beside them napping. When it woke up, the waiter brought a silver bowl with water and announced to everyone, Pour le chien, le champaigne! 

I may take to watching HHI and HH muted---seeing the houses, especially overseas, is the only thing I care about. No more whining, faux concerns, vocal fry, bs stories. Unless it's an Adrian, Richard or Ken(?) episode!

Edited by buttersister
Spelling
  • Love 5

I finally tried to watch the “throuple” episode.  That is definitely not a polygamist family.   Just 3 very weird people with strange sex preferences who want to be on TV.     The first wife was so annoying, very attention seeking.   I wonder what the children think?  Especially now that is was shown to the freaking country.   Again I tried to watch it and finally turned the channel after 15 min.  

Edited by MissT
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, buttersister said:

I was sitting at a banquette in an upscale Parisian restaurant for an hour before realizing the couple next to us had a pup beside them napping. When it woke up, the waiter brought a silver bowl with water and announced to everyone, Pour le chien, le champaign! 

I may take to watching HHI and HH muted---seeing the houses, especially overseas, is the only thing I care about. No more whining, faux concerns, vocal fry, bs stories. Unless it's an Adrian, Richard or Ken(?) episode!

You mean cutie Kevin (aka, Baby Elvis) in Germany? 

Portland: I loved the Mid-century Modern houses.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MissT said:

I finally tried to watch the “throuple” episode.  That is definitely not a polygamist family.   Just 3 very weird people with strange sex preferences who want to be on TV.     The first wife was so annoying, very attention seeking.   I wonder what the children think?  Especially now that is was shown to the freaking country.   Again I tried to watch it and finally turned the channel after 15 min.  

Why are people so more accepting of polygamy where it's all for the husband's benefit? What's wrong with a women getting what she wants in a marriage?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

The wife in the NYC couple reminded me of the co-host Stacy on What Not to Wear.  There was no way they would have been able to live in that 1100 sf condo with the $3,000/mo fees.  It was way to small.  Maybe he was thinking about it as an escape for himself and the dog - lol. 

Would be interesting to see the after results on this renovation, and to find out how much they finally spend.  I guess they eat out a lot, because neither of those kitchen areas were functional for more than making coffee - IMVHO.  No way could I live there.  The triangle "thing" in the corner being classified as a closet made me laugh out loud. 

I also watched the episode with the very tall husband (7'2" or 6'14" as he put it).  I was happy they found the right house for them.  I love model trains, and would be happy to find someone who likes them as a hobby.  One of my neighbors added a room to his house for his train set up, and it's fantastic.  

Edited by laredhead
  • Love 4
On 2/14/2020 at 8:23 AM, Lamima said:

Just coming here to discuss the throuple. Wowza. I know there is polygamy but this doesn't seem to be the same because those folks, like Sister Wives, sleep in separate rooms or even separate homes. And the wives don't hook up. This threesome all share...bed and each other. And there are kids there to put 1+1 together. Sometimes giving in to your id (Freud) any way you like isn't the best way to navigate adulthood. I see a flaming disaster at the end of that throuple relationship. Even the Sister Wives members have their share of misery. Shocked that HGTV would go there and do this show, honestly.

Agree! And even taking the whole unconventionality  aspect off the table, I have to wonder why any realtor would think that three adults would somehow be bankable enough to guarantee house payments for at least 30 years especially with at least one of the three having no legal ties to the other two. It's tough enough to maintain house payments for decades on end for bonds involving TWO people not legally bound together. At least with folks who ARE legally wed to each other, if the whole thing blows up, one or both will STILL have obligations to make sure that the payments keep happening and/or can be compensated by the more financial secure legal spouse. Yes, I know that court orders get ignored/unenforced,etc. but at least legal couples have that recourse whereas folks in unconventional bonds don't even have that to fall back on or, for that matter, to bank on. 

IIRC, there was an early episode in which a legally married couple and a man described as a family friend all bought a house together and I wonder how THAT worked out in the longrun  (even if they all stayed nice and chummy ). Oh, and I think there was a child involved in that one,too. 

Inasmuch as I don't want to head offtopic or chance going on a major rant,  I'll forgo   expressing my views at this time of unconventional bonds of this nature openly played out in front of minor children.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
On 2/9/2020 at 1:08 PM, Empress1 said:

He commented that she was doing all the wedding work and that he didn't really know what was going on. He laughed about it; I didn't find it funny at all.

I know the show is fake but I found the "we're house hunting three weeks before the wedding" thing so fake as to border on insulting.

IF they took out the fake ass drama, the full of shit wish list, introducing us to their kids and all their family b.s. we could be seeing another house or two. Or better yet, show more of the 3 houses! They leave out so much. 

• Love 7

To any of you who live in NYC, what the heck do you get for $3,000 a month fee?  Heck, I saw one HH show where the monthly fee was $1200 a month.  This was for a condo in Fla, and the amenities weren’t all that.  I lived in a condo on a lake, and the fee was only $245 a year, but we did get special assessments from time to time.  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

To any of you who live in NYC, what the heck do you get for $3,000 a month fee?  Heck, I saw one HH show where the monthly fee was $1200 a month.  This was for a condo in Fla, and the amenities weren’t all that.  I lived in a condo on a lake, and the fee was only $245 a year, but we did get special assessments from time to time.  

There was that great rooftop entertainment area, but for that price, I would expect an indoor pool and gymnasium.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I have heard some agents mention that heat is included in the monthly HOA, that may have been the case here.  I would imagine if there is a doorman, and another other full time employees, that would increase the monthly cost.  Having said that, I need to go back to school and major in whatever subjects will get me a job like these people had. 

• Love 2

I’ve got to gripe about something with HGTV.  I’m getting sick and tired of their pop up promos of their upcoming shows, that are so big that they block a portion of the screen.  If they have graphics for the show that’s on, those obnoxious pop ups block the graphics.  A few times you couldn’t see the location of the house, the size of the house and the price because they just have to promote so many of their upcoming shows. To be honest, so many of these networks are overusing those pop ups.  I remember when Hallmark had a huge Christmas ornament plastered on the screen that was so bad it blocked the actors faces.

• Love 14

The wife in the Rochester, NY episode was dressing to show off her gym body.  She said several times she didn't want to go back to work in order to pay for a higher priced house.  I'm sure a job would eat into her workout time.  I did laugh at the end when she said they would get a pool installed, and the husband asked her what kind of job she was planning to get.

I knew they would buy the 2nd house.  It didn't have furniture. 

Edited by laredhead
Correct the name of the city
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, laredhead said:

The wife in the Albany, NY episode was dressing to show off her gym body.  She said several times she didn't want to go back to work in order to pay for a higher priced house.  I'm sure a job would eat into her workout time.  I did laugh at the end when she said they would get a pool installed, and the husband asked her what kind of job she was planning to get.

I knew they would buy the 2nd house.  It didn't have furniture. 

Of course, that’s always the giveaway. I also think the wife was showing off her boob job. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, laredhead said:

The wife in the Albany, NY episode was dressing to show off her gym body.  She said several times she didn't want to go back to work in order to pay for a higher priced house.  I'm sure a job would eat into her workout time.  I did laugh at the end when she said they would get a pool installed, and the husband asked her what kind of job she was planning to get.

Except for the pool it also sounds like the mom in the Rochester Mich episode. 

• Love 1

Gym bod woman was the Rochester episode (definitely not Albany), dontcha know.  She said she would have to "do something special for Matt" to get him to overlook the price of the house she wanted. That was before he suggested she go back to work or give up her gym membership.  I wonder what she had in mind...

Edited by kirklandia
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Kirklandia, thank you for the city correction.  Sometimes, I can't keep the locations straight.  Yes, I caught the "do something special for Matt" comment too.  On another note, I always wonder what the utility bills are in those huge houses, especially the ones that have cold winters.  

• Love 2

When I see those huge houses with the sweeping staircases, I immediately think of all the work it would be to keep them clean.  And how do they get the spider webs off those very high ceilings?  I guess that's why I prefer a ranch style house from the 70s......I can reach the ceilings with a dust mop.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

People with huge houses can afford housecleaners. Heck, I don't have a huge house and haven't cleaned mine in 30 years. I have a cleaning service that comes every 2 weeks, so it's just a matter of cleaning up after myself. We have a 2 story great room with ceiling fans. We use an extension rod with a duster to clean them.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

When I see those huge houses with the sweeping staircases, I immediately think of all the work it would be to keep them clean.  And how do they get the spider webs off those very high ceilings?  I guess that's why I prefer a ranch style house from the 70s......I can reach the ceilings with a dust mop.

I always roll my eyes when people buying relatively expensive homes bitch about cleaning or lawn maintenance or maintenance in general. In my experience people generally have at least a cleaning person to come in and they hire lawn care people for the lawn. I might of course know exceptionally lazy people but at a certain income level - especially if both people work - time is money and people are paid to do things because it makes more sense to pay someone else to clean your toilets or mop your floors rather than spend your limited time on the weekend or after dragging home from a long day in the office doing it.

It is also not my experience that working people who aren't employed in the trades do it yourself on full scale bath or kitchen renovations. They hire people. On the other hand, whenever a HH mentions that they are involved in construction or any other kind of trade, they are going to pick a home that needs renovation just as surely as any home that has been "abandoned" in mid-renovation is actually the home on which the HH have already started to renovate.

Edited by amarante
  • Love 2