Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

NC: The husband who wanted a lakeside house was exhausting to watch! I couldn’t believe they had moved so many times in a short period of time in the same area.

Thought he was insufferable and she was right up there with her perfect kitchen even though she proudly proclaimed that she doesn't cook.

• Love 7

I really didn’t like the Roswell husband. From the very beginning he came off as bullying, telling his wife to stop playing with their dog to get dressed and stop eating her breakfast so she could get dressed.  On the other hand, the wife seemed like a spoiled princess.  Not surprised with their choice.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I really didn’t like the Roswell husband. From the very beginning he came off as bullying, telling his wife to stop playing with their dog to get dressed and stop eating her breakfast so she could get dressed.  On the other hand, the wife seemed like a spoiled princess.  Not surprised with their choice.  

That wasn't really bullying. They were running late, and she was putzing around. I'd  be annoyed too. Her ridiculous we need room to entertain, but everyone will be in the kitchen was weird. I loved how HER mom was on his side moneywise. 

• Love 7

I got the idea that the Roswell wife would have been happy to have lived with her parents longer so that she could have breakfast served to her daily, and linger at home with the dog.  Perhaps the solution to the "we're going to be late" problem would have been to drive separate cars, then he could be on time for work, and she could consistently be late for work, lose her job, and then have to settle for a less than a starter home  at a reasonable price.  Just kidding, but having lived with a person who put promptness way down the list of priorities, I know it can be continually frustrating to live with someone like that.  I soon realized why he wanted a basement retreat.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

The couple looking for the home on Lake Norman in North Carolina- that guy cant be as big a jerk as he appears on the show.  No one can be that big a jerk.  I don’t see a forever home in their future, I see a forever divorce.  I spent only 23 minutes with him and wanted to throw him in the lake. I can’t imagine being married to him. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, SoCalAgain said:

The couple looking for the home on Lake Norman in North Carolina- that guy cant be as big a jerk as he appears on the show.  No one can be that big a jerk.  I don’t see a forever home in their future, I see a forever divorce.  I spent only 23 minutes with him and wanted to throw him in the lake. I can’t imagine being married to him. 

I felt bad for his sons. Imagine the pressure they must be under to be the perfect athlete. 

• Love 1

Boston area: OMG! All those fake blonde sisters with the fake tans! That skin tight outfit the wife was wearing at the tour of House 1...🤦‍♀️

Colorado: How could an almost million dollar home not have AC upstairs? 🤨 The views were amazing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

The Houston episode - did y'all hear that she had been waiting 8 years for him to propose?  A person would have been drunk if they had taken a drink every time she said that.  I guess the next thing she will harp on constantly is a baby.  I didn't like the setting/location of either of the townhouses.  Absolutely no green space visible, and one of them looked like it was in an alley, and perhaps the development had failed because you could see weeds on the vacant land next to the unit.  I did agree with her on one thing, and that was the gray theme throughout one of the townhouses.  I'm not a fan of gray, so if it was used extensively on things that are expensive to change, it would probably be a deal breaker for me.         

• Love 1
7 hours ago, laredhead said:

The Houston episode - did y'all hear that she had been waiting 8 years for him to propose?  A person would have been drunk if they had taken a drink every time she said that.  I guess the next thing she will harp on constantly is a baby.  I didn't like the setting/location of either of the townhouses.  Absolutely no green space visible, and one of them looked like it was in an alley, and perhaps the development had failed because you could see weeds on the vacant land next to the unit.  I did agree with her on one thing, and that was the gray theme throughout one of the townhouses.  I'm not a fan of gray, so if it was used extensively on things that are expensive to change, it would probably be a deal breaker for me.         

Yeah, I noticed the weed garden lot. That was a red flag to me.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, LucindaWalsh said:

HH is becoming way too much trouble to catch. 

Huh - all I have to do is tell my DVR what show to record on a particular channel, and it does, doesn't matter what time it comes on. Recording a time slot does seem like too much work.

• Love 9

Ugh, I'm so sick of women that that one in Houston. If you want to get married propose. Stop whining about eight years, acting like you have no power over your own life.  And the place they moved into was pretty darn grey. 

• Love 4

I liked the small foundation houses too!  I though he should have picked the 2 bedroom one that had all the grass in the fenced in front yard, though.  That would have been much nicer for the dog.  Saying it was "too big" did not fly with me!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, izabella said:

I liked the small foundation houses too!  I though he should have picked the 2 bedroom one that had all the grass in the fenced in front yard, though.  That would have been much nicer for the dog.  Saying it was "too big" did not fly with me!

I think it was the price tag that was really too big. 

• Love 3

I see that in addition to bringing the narrator back, the show is back to the she wants, he wants conflicts that have the HH saying the most ridiculous things. Cue the Des Moines couple - she wanted a newer home because who knows how many people have lived in an older home. WTH difference does that make?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I see that in addition to bringing the narrator back, the show is back to the she wants, he wants conflicts that have the HH saying the most ridiculous things. Cue the Des Moines couple - she wanted a newer home because who knows how many people have lived in an older home. WTH difference does that make?

It's the same with 'I want a new home so I can put my own stamp on it' when they're looking at new homes that are already built or the builder has chosen all the finishes and the buyer only gets a couple of options.  If putting their own stamp on something is so critical, then buy a lot, find and architect and do it yourself.  Even new houses have someone else involved in their design.

• Love 6

I liked the Tudor in Des Moines.  The owners should have done something about that black stuff on the garage though.  It looked like mold but I've never seen black mold in the open air.  It was nice to see three fairly distinct styles. 

I muted the episode -- wife's voice had a nasal quality, hard to listen to.  Made me feel sorry for her husband, but I suppose he's accustomed to it.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I think it was the price tag that was really too big. 

Most likely.  I think the house itself was like only 50 sf bigger than the others.  So much nicewr for his dog though...he should have ponied up the extra dollars.  lol

• Love 1

AuntiePam, the black stuff on the garage in the Des Moines episode was mildew.  I live in the deep South, and that stuff is present on many, many north facing, or shaded roofs and walls.  A power wash with some bleach will remove it instantly.  I really feel old when I watch some of these episodes and the HH's think a house built in 1993 is ancient.   

I just watched the Chattanooga episode, and what a whiner that wife was.  Everything was about her, and what she wanted.  He had been commuting for over a year, and said their lives were in Cleveland on the weekends because they had a boat, and I'm assuming there was a lake/river that they frequent in the boat.  His plane is also in Cleveland, as well as his job.  I liked the house in the Cleveland area, but the yard was massive, and if they like to travel and do recreational things on the weekend, they probably weren't interested in a big yard.  That was never mentioned.  I don't know anything about real estate in downtown Chattanooga, but $210,000 sounds like a good deal, even if the house has only 2 bedrooms.  Looked like it has potential with an addition of another bedroom and some closet space.  I do hope they don't remove that beautiful green tub.  Yeah, I'm a fan of those colored bathroom fixtures if they are in good shape.  The renovator could have done a better job in choosing colors and finishes in that bathroom to coordinate with that tub.  As it was, everything was gray and white and the tub stood out like a sore thumb.     

• Love 5

Chattanooga was very confusing.  How much longer will her degree take to finish?    Then only her job will be close to the house.   One factor is that some hospitals require personnel in some jobs to be within a certain distance of the hospital.   The wife came off as totally selfish.   

Plus, when you say you have to get a finished home, and then buy one with the intention of adding on a huge addition, (probably with a huge closet, and spa level bathroom), to fill the entire back yard, it's not saving money.     So when they add on, he still won't have a real garage, and they'll have a home that's way over budget, and probably priced over the neighborhood homes.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Chattanooga: I couldn’t stand the wife either. She apparently thought she was too cute for words, but she wasn’t. She came off as very selfish. 

She wasn't very considerate of her husband's commute.  At least he got his Craftsman-style home and garage, even though the garage was rather small.  I liked the house they looked at that was out in the "sticks."  I did think that the bright yellow cabinet/hutch in the kitchen was an odd choice of colors.  It clashed with the rest of the kitchen.  That's an easy fix, but for a newer home, I thought it was odd.    

One thing that did bug me was the narrator's way of pronouncing Chattanooga.  It's not 'Chatt----anooga.'  It's 'Chatta-nooga.'   I live in the south and the second way is the only way I've ever heard it pronounced.  Anybody living in that area feel free to correct me if I'm saying it wrong though!!   The downtown area of Chattanooga with the Tennessee Aquarium is a lot of fun to visit.  If I lived there I would have a season pass to it!    

• Love 4
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

How much longer will her degree take to finish?    Then only her job will be close to the house.   One factor is that some hospitals require personnel in some jobs to be within a certain distance of the hospital.       The wife came off as totally selfish.   

She may have to take call and be required to live close to the hospital, but, from what she said, she was only working part time.  Also, hospital based nurses are in demand.  There is no reason why she couldn't have found another nursing gig in a hospital closer to Cleveland if she wanted. Presuming she is getting a master's or maybe becoming a nurse practitioner, she probably will have her degree in another year anyway and then find a new job to take advantage of that.

I got the impression that she really is a selfish nag. Her constant nattering about how he promised her they would live in Chattanooga.... He kept his part of the bargain with their rental where they lived for over a year.  But that's not enough and he is never allowed to move closer to his job and the plane?  It sounded like he got a much better job when they moved which is probably why they can afford for her to work part time and go to grad school.  Seems to me like she has more than taken advantage of the move.

I did think the 2 bedroom place they chose was adorable and I'd have jumped on it too.

Edited by doodlebug
6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

How much longer will her degree take to finish?    Then only her job will be close to the house.   One factor is that some hospitals require personnel in some jobs to be within a certain distance of the hospital.       The wife came off as totally selfish.   

Well, if she did get called in and they lived in Cleveland, he could fly her over the hospital and let her parachute in!

• LOL 6

One more thing about the Chattanooga wife - the husband is letting her foster cats and kittens, folks.  He also has tools and evidently knows how to use them.  He's a pilot with a plane.  He's been commuting for year to please her.  Just based on those things, he sounds like a pretty good guy.  She needs to think about all of that before she continues to demand her way all of the time.  If she's like that in real life, and not just for the show, her attitude would get very old very fast.  

• Love 6

They're showing a "new" episode, of a California couple moving to Kauai.     This looks like a recycled Hawaii episode, and the couple look very familiar.    This is absolutely a repackaged episode of another show on HGTV.     The show is a few years old, and I wasn't sure it was a rerun until the probably with the adorable donkeys. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

How did that wonderful man in the Chattanooga episode end up with nagging, selfish wife? She has all of the characteristics of an only child who was "Daddy's Princess". She was insufferable and NOT cute. I can't imagine getting stuck with her as a nurse. She should be very thankful she was able to marry "up". And, Chit Chat, you are right, you emphasize the "nooga" in Chattanooga. 🙂

Edited by SpecialKay
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They're showing a "new" episode, of a California couple moving to Kauai.     This looks like a recycled Hawaii episode, and the couple look very familiar.    This is absolutely a repackaged episode of another show on HGTV.     

I had never seen this one and loved seeing Kauai. It is my favorite place on the planet and I wish I could afford a house there.

2 hours ago, NJMom said:

I had never seen this one and loved seeing Kauai. It is my favorite place on the planet and I wish I could afford a house there.

I loved the property with donkeys because...donkeys! 🥰 I understand why they didn’t pick it (no toilet while having to build a real house), but those donkeys were adorbs.

• Love 1

The reason I wouldn't buy a house near a freeway, like the Des Moines home, is a friend lived next to the interstate in Colorado.    He had cars end up in his back yard twice, and his house had a big yard between his house, and the shoulder of the road.    One car was going so fast when it went off the road, it stopped rolling right next to his house back wall.      So the noise wouldn't bother me as much as the risk of ending up with a car in my yard.    The Des Moines couple were cute.  

I would have picked a home in Cleveland, TN over Chattanooga.    It's a smaller town, but not tiny, and has a lot of coffee shops, and restaurants (a relative lived there for a few years), and I bet the crime rate is lower too.  However, I would have picked a home closer to the center of town, and with less land.   The prices are probably better than Chattanooga too.   

• Love 2

Kansas City wife.  Did she really think that she could have horses and animals on just a 1/2 acre lot within city limits and her way too much eye makeup.  Thinking the 24 year old son came with her in this marriage.  Felt sorry for the husband.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cameron said:

Kansas City wife.  Did she really think that she could have horses and animals on just a 1/2 acre lot within city limits

Also, if he has to be within 30 minutes of the hospital, isn't that the beginning and the end of the story? (Which the realtor pointed out more than once.) Like, they can't be on a farm out in the sticks because of his job, which pays for the house they're buying. Case closed.

The wife reminded me a little of Snooki. I was done with her when she wanted to look at a house that was TWICE the price they agreed to. 

I much preferred the NJ couple. I think they were in north Jersey - they mentioned Montclair. One of my best friends lives (rents) in Montclair. It's a very nice town.

• Love 5

NJ wife was a jerk to her husband in the beginning. I'm glad she wasn't as snide to him when they were looking at the houses. My gaydar was going off with the husband and not because of his horrible man bun.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Has there ever been a couple on this show who wanted the same kind of house?  If so, it's rare.....unless they've been told by the producers of the show to create some drama.  And I'm so tired of women with a family who don't cook.  

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

Has there ever been a couple on this show who wanted the same kind of house?  If so, it's rare.....unless they've been told by the producers of the show to create some drama.  And I'm so tired of women with a family who don't cook.  

The producers have a script they tell people to follow. For awhile last year when they ditched the narrator, they also seemed to have dropped the she wants, he wants baloney. Now it's back.

• Love 2

Lots of men like to cook and are very good at it, my son being one of them.  However, it just seems strange that so many women say they don't cook when they have children.   It's probably a more recent thing with young women, especially those who have full-time jobs.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

However, it just seems strange that so many women say they don't cook when they have children.   It's probably a more recent thing with young women, especially those who have full-time jobs.

Why should it be strange that they don't cook? There are two adults in the house. Why should the women automatically cook? Their saying that they don't cook is more recent true. Their wanting not to cook is not. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Also, if he has to be within 30 minutes of the hospital, isn't that the beginning and the end of the story? (Which the realtor pointed out more than once.) Like, they can't be on a farm out in the sticks because of his job, which pays for the house they're buying. Case closed.

The wife reminded me a little of Snooki. I was done with her when she wanted to look at a house that was TWICE the price they agreed to. 

I much preferred the NJ couple. I think they were in north Jersey - they mentioned Montclair. One of my best friends lives (rents) in Montclair. It's a very nice town.

OMG! I was calling her “Texas Snooki” while watching the episode! 😆 The blurb for the episode said the husband was a surgeon. I knew he was an orthopedic surgeon when I saw how big he was. I hate that they are going to refinish those beautiful floors. Guess the “bougie” daughter is going to have to share a bathroom after all. 🙄

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Genuine, no-snark question: what does his size have to do with his profession?

I don't know, but Snookie's husband had too much personality compared to any ortho doctor that I've encountered.

4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I've witnessed that a number of orthopaedic surgeons are former athletes. Plus it is one of the medical specialities where being fit is a big plus both in the theatre and out. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I remember many years ago reading a physician’s memoir, and he said big ex-jocks usually went into orthopedics. For some reason, that’s stuck in my trivia bank! 

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I just caught the new episode in Phoenix.    Both house hunters were whining all the way through.      The man had ferrets, and wanted an entire bedroom for them.     They bought a home with five bedrooms, an office, a pool, and it was well over 3,000 sq ft., and were talking about changing the office to a bedroom.   I'm hoping that was for visiting relatives that don't do stairs, but who knows.     

The funny thing is they bought in Sun City West, which sort of is/sort of isn't age restricted.  The zip code is Sun City West, and part of it is the actual part of Del Webb's age restricted community, but a lot of it isn't.     The woman was whining about lack of privacy for the pool, because of the wrought iron fence, but that gives them a view, and it was all desert landscaping behind the fence, so no one will be waltzing by.     

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Aside from the fact that a lot of orthopods get their interest in the specialty from being athletes and getting injured themselves; to do the big joint surgeries, it is very helpful to have a lot of upper body strength.  There's a lot of carpentry work involved: hammering, sawing, drilling and it helps to be strong, especially when manipulating hips and knees.  There are some who are not particularly big, but many of them specialize in hand surgery, etc where strength isn't as necessary.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Aside from the fact that a lot of orthopods get their interest in the specialty from being athletes and getting injured themselves; to do the big joint surgeries, it is very helpful to have a lot of upper body strength.  There's a lot of carpentry work involved: hammering, sawing, drilling and it helps to be strong, especially when manipulating hips and knees.  There are some who are not particularly big, but many of them specialize in hand surgery, etc where strength isn't as necessary.

Yeah, that’s what I remember the doctor/author writing in the book I read.

• Love 2

Miss Snookie from Kansas just thought she was too precious for words.  Those cuteness acts wear thin after a certain age - like 5 or 6.  This is obviously his 2nd marriage and the 24-year old son is his from the 1st marriage.   His need to be within a certain distance of the hospital should be the priority, because he's the bread winner and bringing home a lot of bread.  

I loved the first house, and yes, it was old, but so beautifully preserved.  I do wonder if it was really for sale.  Cannot believe they are redoing that kitchen, and the floors in the house they bought.  I guess he agreed to do that in order to shut up her whining about light/dark, and whatever else she didn't like at the time.     

• Love 5