Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

House Hunters

43 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I think they did show the name of the suburb on the screen but they didn't say anything about neighborhoods.

With the Peekskill couple, that was another one where I was like "Do y'all like each other?" And I agreed with the brunette about the garage - with all the cold and snow, I would think that would be important - but I also agreed with the blonde that her moving appeared to be the bigger sacrifice so they should take more of her wants into account. (I am also admittedly pro-historic charm and have described modern as "sterile.") Did anyone else think that the condo they looked at was just another unit in the same place where the brunette already lived?

They actually said it was another unit in the same complex.

I agree with you about the rest, although as always I'm mindful it was likely for the camera.  I was surprised the brunette ultimately went for and seemed excited about the farmhouse, which was a tipoff, given how anti old house and being farther from the water she'd been.  Not knowing the area or where the places were (which is one of the most disappointing things the show does these days), so ignoring these factors, that was definitely my choice.

If they said the name of the Chicago 'burb I missed it, and it always makes me mad that they now won't say the Chicago 'burb (usually, at least) or neighborhood, which seems to be the thing these days.  I can often guess or figure it out, but it takes a little work, and it really influences my perception of the comparison.  Same for other places, but if I don't know them at all of course I would have to look up the areas to understand the differences more.

Edited by msmarjoribanks
  • Like 1

The Chicago couple bought that house in Hinsdale. It did flash up on the screen. That is a really nice suburb. And didn't they say that the husband's family lived there? So, you know that was their plan all along.

The Peekskill couple last night. I figured they would go with the first farmhouse place. It had the high tech locks on the front door and the one woman said she was really into technology. You know that she was the one who had the locks put in. Lol.

• Like 3

When the brunette kept asking about smart technology I thought “just add it!” I think that about appliances too. “I wanted all new appliances.” Me: “ ... Then buy them.”

There’s no way I’d buy a different unit in the same complex when I’m “a few short years,” as she put it, from paying off the one I already owned. I wondered why renting it out wasn’t an option; it looked like the blonde was requiring that the brunette sell it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

There’s no way I’d buy a different unit in the same complex when I’m “a few short years,” as she put it, from paying off the one I already owned. I wondered why renting it out wasn’t an option; it looked like the blonde was requiring that the brunette sell it.

When it comes to having almost paid off the current condo, how is buying a different unit in the same complex different from buying something not in the same complex?  I don't understand why being in the same complex would be a disqualifier, if the new unit works better for them.

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

When it comes to having almost paid off the current condo, how is buying a different unit in the same complex different from buying something not in the same complex?  I don't understand why being in the same complex would be a disqualifier, if the new unit works better for them.

I didn't see enough of a difference between the two units, though admittedly we didn't see much of the unit she owned.

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

The Chicago couple bought that house in Hinsdale. It did flash up on the screen. That is a really nice suburb. And didn't they say that the husband's family lived there? So, you know that was their plan all along.

The Peekskill couple last night. I figured they would go with the first farmhouse place. It had the high tech locks on the front door and the one woman said she was really into technology. You know that she was the one who had the locks put in. Lol.

Thanks. I believed they showed it, but missed it. 

Yeah, the "just saw it when driving to a family event" was really fake.

23 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I didn't see enough of a difference between the two units, though admittedly we didn't see much of the unit she owned.

I think the one they looked at was quite a bit bigger.

On 11/14/2019 at 8:01 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I would have chosen the third house for the Indian couple.    I'm totally over the "house must face" a specific way too.    The four bedroom would have been better, the living/dining area was huge, and the kitchen was lovely.   The back yard wouldn't have been that bad to clean up, level, and they could have done a lot of maintenance free artificial turf, or something similar to minimize the yard work. 

The first house was OK, but is going to need so much work, that I don't think it was a bargain at all.    They could also hire someone to mow, and I bet  it wouldn't take 20 minutes to do the front and back, and if they got rid of any bushes they wouldn't have to maintain them either.    

The husband was a real A Hole , they picked a crappy house so he didn’t have to mow the lawn !

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

16 hours ago, Lady J said:

The husband was a real A Hole , they picked a crappy house so he didn’t have to mow the lawn !

They deserved each other.  Neither one was a prize.

In regards to the two women who purchased the old farmhouse: 

I thought probably the brunette had lived in her place with a previous partner, and the blonde who was moving to be with her simply wanted a place without memories of the past.

• Useful 1

1 hour ago, answerphone said:

I thought probably the brunette had lived in her place with a previous partner, and the blonde who was moving to be with her simply wanted a place without memories of the past.

Could be, but they said they had been dating 2 years. That's a long time to hold that kind of resentment/concern. I'm with the blonde for not wanting shared walls. I've had bad experiences in both a condo I owned and an apartment I rented. Shoot, I'm now in a single family home, and have trouble with neighbors in the summer when they feel inclined to share their music with the whole neighborhood. Assholes.

• Like 3

The Chicago lady sounded like AOC. I got through the episode but it was a struggle. At the beginning they showed the little toddler saying banana and she sing songy says from the fridge You want some berrrrrrries? No he wants a banana. Listen to what the kid is saying. And it was downhill from there for me. The house they picked was nothing special as I watched several other shows with the same what has become generic style.

I liked the house facing no lawn mowing couple. Not once did they mention the catch phrases that other homeowners think makes them special. I liked their backstory, liked the sister and brother in law sequence at the beginning. I really wanted some of that food. The HH wife was super beautiful. I did get a little thrown off because I thought they would get the last house, not the first. Also loved his thoughts about training the little boys to mow the lawn and then seeing them all pushing the mower in the yard. It was cool to me that one of his pleasures was playing with his boys. Those boys have a fun dad, to me.

I didn't even make it beyond the first minute of the long distance lady couple before just deleting. I don't usually have that reaction but between the ladies and the blip of houses that were going to be shown, I had zero interest.

Edited by LucindaWalsh · Reason: I used cool way too much so deleted
  • Like 1

I forgot to add my point about relating to the house facing HH. In my previous long term was going to be my forever home the house faced east and my bedroom was at the front with a window so from my bed I could look out and see the sun come up. Then in the evening we would see the sun set behind the trees. That house was destroyed in a tornado so we bought another house down the road, on the opposite side of the road and while my bedroom is still facing the front, I get a sunset and not a morning sun wake up and I have never adjusted to it, even after almost 10 years of being here. When we downsize I have already told the hubby that my bedroom window will face the sunrise. I think my reasoning is different than hers but I guess I would be annoying if I were on the show as well because I would be looking for a home facing a certain direction. My son is building on our old land and I was so glad that they have a bedroom facing the sun rising.

Edited by LucindaWalsh
  • Like 1

Wanting to have the sun to wake you up in the morning has a logic to it. It's the people who want facing a certain way because of some superstition that annoy me. Same with house numbers - those are so arbitrary. But then I'm a scientist and don't believe in any of that crap.

• Like 5

On 11/16/2019 at 4:53 PM, answerphone said:

Wow. Those two were insufferable. Good luck planning a wedding, ladies. At least the setting will be nice.

• Like 1