Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

House Hunters

Recommended Posts

If she wants all the bedroom suites in her new home, why  are they even downsizing.  Couldn't stand her voice and her makeup was overdone for during a day at home.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

8 hours ago, laredhead said:

The Florida wife needs to face reality and get a life that doesn't revolve around her grown children.  I thought the doctor was a "neurological surgeon", but unless he operates daily, I doubt he works 100 hours a week.  I will say that the lunch Caprese salad she was making looked better than so many of the bought veggie trays or scoops of mac & cheese we so often see in these episodes.  Yes, I pay attention to the food details - lol.

I think he was a urological surgeon. And if he works that much it's to get away from her and his sons. I feel bad for their future spouses. Hope they aren't close to their own families....

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

And if he works that much it's to get away from her and his sons.

I laughed when he said he loved his sons but the empty nester thing wasn't a problem for him. I found it very refreshing. (I had a coworker whose son moved back in with her after college and she was like "I CANNOT WAIT for him to get up out of my house.")

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Naples, FL: The realtor’s Kristen Chenowith voice drove me nuts! 😱

that is where I have heard that voice!

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, laredhead said:

The Florida wife needs to face reality and get a life that doesn't revolve around her grown children.  I thought the doctor was a "neurological surgeon", but unless he operates daily, I doubt he works 100 hours a week.  I will say that the lunch Caprese salad she was making looked better than so many of the bought veggie trays or scoops of mac & cheese we so often see in these episodes.  Yes, I pay attention to the food details - lol.

I’m surprised we haven’t seen more women like the Fla woman.  There have been a few episodes where mommy was massively concerned about how her older son was going to handle having a smaller room than he’s used to, but I’m really expecting to see more HH who are looking for places that include bedrooms for their adult returnees.  I just read where 53% of adults 18 to 25 still live with their parents, even after graduating from college.  I really would like to see how HH parents handle this. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/21/2019 at 9:45 PM, LittleIggy said:

Naples, FL: The realtor’s Kristen Chenowith voice drove me nuts! 😱

WHERE do these women get the idea that putting on that totally fake baby voice is cute? And I don't buy for one second that's her natural voice. It's a put on, 100%.

Those poor sons. Mom seems like the type to use guilt to get them to live with her forever. "I just want my boys baaaaaccckkk!!!!" Run, boys, run!

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I’m surprised we haven’t seen more women like the Fla woman.  There have been a few episodes where mommy was massively concerned about how her older son was going to handle having a smaller room than he’s used to, but I’m really expecting to see more HH who are looking for places that include bedrooms for their adult returnees.  I just read where 53% of adults 18 to 25 still live with their parents, even after graduating from college.  I really would like to see how HH parents handle this. 

Yeah, I didn’t understand the assumption that the sons were gone from the nest just because they were off to college.

Share this post


Link to post

The Atlanta couple was so bizarre - they went from not being on the same page about anything to getting engaged. I know the show is fake, but their story in particular felt really disjointed.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

The Atlanta couple was so bizarre - they went from not being on the same page about anything to getting engaged. I know the show is fake, but their story in particular felt really disjointed.

I felt uncomfortable watching them.  They were already living together, planning to buy a house together, but didn't seem to have spent even a moment talking about their plans for the future?  Not only did the one partner 'forget' to mention that he wanted to get a dog once they got a house, he never mentioned that he wanted kids?  And vice versa? That isn't the same as one preferring a 2 story and the other a ranch.  I cringed when they got to the proposal.  If any of what went on in the episode was true, that is going to be one bumpy marriage.

The houses were fine, nothing too exciting about them, IMO.  I thought they chose the best one for them and it certainly looks like there will be a dog and probably a child in their future. And, I fear, a custody agreement and division of assets after that.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

I hated the show in California last night.    The couple had lost everything before, and after two years in a new business they decide to spend $800K or more on a new house, with land, high end finishes (a phrase I hope I never hear again), and tons of room.       

When the wife said the higher end, huge kitchen in the Spanish style house, on 12 acres wasn't fancy enough for her, and needed to be totally redone, I was through.     Funny though, they never asked about maintaining the private road to the second, Spanish mansion house, or the insurance costs.   All the kitchen in that house needed was maybe wall paint, and a back splash, but that wasn't good enough for her either.   It was funny to see the wife's face when her husband mentioned snakes at the second property, but didn't mention the other creatures that I'm sure were close by.  

I turned it off until the last minute or so, and had to laugh when they bought the fixer that needed a ton of work.     

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hated the show in California last night.    The couple had lost everything before, and after two years in a new business they decide to spend $800K or more on a new house, with land, high end finishes (a phrase I hope I never hear again), and tons of room.       

When the wife said the higher end, huge kitchen in the Spanish style house, on 12 acres wasn't fancy enough for her, and needed to be totally redone, I was through.     Funny though, they never asked about maintaining the private road to the second, Spanish mansion house, or the insurance costs.   All the kitchen in that house needed was maybe wall paint, and a back splash, but that wasn't good enough for her either.   It was funny to see the wife's face when her husband mentioned snakes at the second property, but didn't mention the other creatures that I'm sure were close by.  

I turned it off until the last minute or so, and had to laugh when they bought the fixer that needed a ton of work.     

The first place with the huge acreage was gorgeous but the price was way too steep so I am glad they nixed that one. FWIW the place with the 7 acres that was basically just an unusable, steep hill behind the house, was the one that she raved about with the 'high end' kitchen finishes she desperately wanted. I was scratching my head at that one b/c it was basically just standard white shaker style cabinets. It didn't even have the nice finishing touches of molding on top. I hate when cabinets just stop and there's a huge gap on the wall. Years ago there used to be a false soffit that started where the cabinets ended. Nowadays that is out of fashion but we see more cabinetry that is extra-tall going up to the ceiling. I can't even remember what the countertops were but I saw nothing extraordinary about that kitchen. In the end they didn't choose that one and went with the cheapest tract home. The husband didn't get his desired acreage but I agree that was the best choice for them as it was the cheapest. I can't remember if that was the one that had the nice wood-toned cabinetry with the nice granite countertops. I thought it was lovely. I do agree that the floors needed updating but they will now have the money to make changes.

Edited by ECM1231
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

The brown cabinets with the high end granite were in the second Spanish style house with so much land, that was way over budget.        The first house actually had the most useable land with the flat decent sized back yard.      That kitchen was a gut job, it needed everything redone in the kitchen.   Before move in they were changing the floor in the entire house, (it had carpet in the master bath before too), gutted the kitchen, and probably redid all of the baths.  

The third house had granite counter tops I think, but I don't think she liked them anyway.    That house had nice finishes, but the useable yard was tiny, however you still pay taxes on the entire lot size. 

The third one with 7 acres that only a mountain goat could use would be horrible during torrential rains.   All of the water would be in the back yard, probably with tons of dirt in it, and who knows how many rattlers would come down the hill in the rain runoff.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

California wife got on my nerves with the "high end finishes" crap.  I wanted the realtor to ask her what specifically she meant by that. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Castaic Lake couple were obviously going to take the "tract" home with the very large backyard. The estate was beautiful but completely unrealistic as the costs for maintaining the grounds including a private road would have been huge. That is the kind of place that needs a full time helper to handle.

I don't know who wants a home backing up to a 2 acre hill. That is generally puts a damper on a property as you need to maintain the hill without having any kind of benefit. At least if you are perched ON TOP of a hill that you own, you generally have the benefit of a great view and more importantly don't have to worry about flooding or a landslide.

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt in terms of the finishes. It's pretty clear what people mean when they say high end or modern finishes and it's a home that has been remodeled or built after 1990. The kitchens and bathrooms were objectively ugly and the pricing of the homes reflected that they were either going to be remodeled prior to the new owner occupying or the buyer wanted to be in a specific location and was trading off a larger ugly house in terms of what they could afford. These people could afford $850,000 or so and decided that it would be less expensive to remodel a fixer upper.

I don't think these people were fiscally stupid as he was just a victim of the industry he was working in reorganizing so there were no jobs at his level in Los Angeles any more. Obviously both he and his wife had excellent skill sets and used whatever expertise they had in their former careers to start what one can only assume is a thriving company. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, amarante said:

It's pretty clear what people mean when they say high end or modern finishes and it's a home that has been remodeled or built after 1990.

Actually no, it's not clear to some of us.  Also, I don't necessarily equate "high end" with "modern."

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Actually no, it's not clear to some of us.  Also, I don't necessarily equate "high end" with "modern."

Modern as in new and not necessarily what is technically a modern style. 

If one is selling or buying real estate and one doesn’t know what a high end finish is, then you shouldn’t be either buying or selling. Obviously a new home can have more traditional high end finishes or contemporary style. 

Builder grade is another term of art in the real estate world. 

This is a show about people assessing real estate to purchase and it’s pretty silly to pick on buyers or agents for terms that would normally be used when assessing a home. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, amarante said:

This is a show about people assessing real estate to purchase and it’s pretty silly to pick on buyers or agents for terms that would normally be used when assessing a home. 

Except that this is a tv show, so I would expect that the buyers (and agents) would/should realize that viewers might not necessarily understand what they're trying to convey.  Furthermore, this is something that they agreed to do.

So, in sum, as a viewer, I'm free to comment on what I've seen. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, amarante said:

Obviously a new home can have more traditional high end finishes or contemporary style. 

Sorry, I disagree. What is normally provided, unless a home is custom built, is builder's grade. Only the model homes have "high end".

Sadly, many buyers consider "high end" what is promoted by these kinds of shows.   Stainless steel appliances cook exactly the same meals as white ones but have been proclaimed "high end" due to heavy marketing.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I had to laugh a bit at the Castaic episode, when the husband talked about rattlesnakes being a possible problem at the second house.  Rattlesnakes are a problem anywhere in Southern California when living close to open, undeveloped landscapes or semi-wilderness areas - especially in the foothills/mountains (where Castaic is).  Also, other kinds of wildlife that may or may not be to your liking, such as skunks, raccoons, coyotes, mountain lions, bears, and bobcats. 

And then there's the wildfire danger, which really is far more frightening and destructive than any of the creatures that may wander in and around your property...

The house they chose had all the renovations that wifey said she DIDN'T want, but that's why they got it at such a low price (by SoCal standards).  And that house had the best backyard, by far, of the three homes shown. 

Edited by mousegirl
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

My bad. CrazyIn Alabama.  I mixed up houses 1 and 2. I thought the super expensive 15 acre overbudget was the 1st one and tract was number 2. I may need to take notes if I am going to post. Nah, that will never happen. 😁

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Arkansas: That couple was a bit annoying, especially the wife. If she wants two toilets, that’s fine. But don’t get pissy when you don’t see two toilets in the houses you tour. When have two toilets ever been a standard feature in a home? Ever? 

I’m sure there were some producer hijinks going on with their backstory. If they were willing to spend a million dollars on their home, no way would they live in an RV for a full year with their 3 young kids rather then getting a short-term rental. In fact, the house was probably already done when they were looking around. The parents and kids all looked the same at the end of the show as they did at the beginning. But the kids were entertaining little actors: “Why is it so SMALL?” when walking around the RV. LOL

And when did it become a thing for non-farm associated people to keep chickens? And having space for their chickens becomes a deal breaker. Maybe they’re getting eggs from the hens. But this couple also had a rooster. Why? Just why? 

Edited by topanga · Reason: Thought I misspelled ‘their,’ but there was no there, there.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The Arkansas wife and her toilet demands. I am sure it was producer driven, but it is just TMI to hear how she likes a tall toilet and her husband enjoys a standard size toilet. I was waiting for her to explain how the tall toilet helped her empty her bowels.I have no doubt they had already moved into their new build home at the time of filming. Once again, they didn't want to go over $1 million and then spent $1.25 million. That fridge was enormous. Seemed crazy for the four of them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Keeping chickens is something a lot of the most annoying house hunters do.     Some places (Portland I believe), and other cities allow chickens in regular yards.    Fortunately, I've only lived places that restricted farm animals, including chickens, to properties with at least a couple of acres.       Most HOAs restrict them also.     One rooster can really make a lot of noise.    The hens cab be pretty noisy sometimes too.       Some roosters aren't human friendly either.   I think the roosters are to defend the hens, but that doesn't always work out too well.  

You can't tell me the Arkansas people weren't ready to move into their new build just in time for the cameras, and I'm sure they were only in the RV for a day or two for filming.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

16 hours ago, mousegirl said:

Also, other kinds of wildlife that may or may not be to your liking, such as skunks, raccoons, coyotes, mountain lions, bears, and bobcats. 

I would add mice to that list.  But I can see why you in particular might not.

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, topanga said:

And when did it become a thing for non-farm associated people to keep chickens? And having space for their chickens becomes a deal breaker. Maybe they’re getting eggs from the hens. But this couple also had a rooster. Why? Just why? 

That seems to have become a thing in the past few years. There are cities(!) now that allow people to keep chickens in their yards. I live in a suburban area that purposefully tried to develop in a way that kept as many trees as possible, so we're not the typical treeless tract home suburb. We're almost rural/forest, so my next door neighbors learned the hard way that chickens walking around freely in your yard (as interesting as they were to see) are also a tasty snack for the red foxes that freely roam our neighborhood (also interesting to see). 

If we were actual farmers, my neighbors would probably have known that those chickens needed to be properly protected from predators.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, TVForever said:

That seems to have become a thing in the past few years. There are cities(!) now that allow people to keep chickens in their yards. I live in a suburban area that purposefully tried to develop in a way that kept as many trees as possible, so we're not the typical treeless tract home suburb. We're almost rural/forest, so my next door neighbors learned the hard way that chickens walking around freely in your yard (as interesting as they were to see) are also a tasty snack for the red foxes that freely roam our neighborhood (also interesting to see). 

If we were actual farmers, my neighbors would probably have known that those chickens needed to be properly protected from predators.

Poor chickens. 

Stupid homeowners. Sorry if they're your friends. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I don't believe those Arkansas people stayed in the travel trailer other than for filming the show. It was plopped in a field with no utilities hooked up to it.

Wife telling us she had a Masters in Food Science, like that made her so special, and therefore needed a fabulous kitchen - sorry, not seeing the connection. Now if she had graduated from culinary school, maybe.

I don't understand why they had a rooster. Were they planning on breeding chickens? If all you want are eggs, just have chickens.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Keeping chickens is something a lot of the most annoying house hunters do.     Some places (Portland I believe), and other cities allow chickens in regular yards.    Fortunately, I've only lived places that restricted farm animals, including chickens, to properties with at least a couple of acres.       Most HOAs restrict them also.     One rooster can really make a lot of noise.    The hens cab be pretty noisy sometimes too.       

You can't tell me the Arkansas people weren't ready to move into their new build just in time for the cameras, and I'm sure they were only in the RV for a day or two for filming.  

I just read an article where these Millennials are buying chickens for their property because it’s the cool thing to do.  BUT, when they realize that chickens are loud and dirty with poop, they don’t want them.  One 29 year old was quoted as saying that he didn’t know chickens made noise.  Shelters in some areas are finding chickens being dumped at their doors.

Was it the California realtor who said her couple was very difficult to deal with?  That cracked me up, and I wish more agents would be as honest. 

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

I just read an article where these Millennials are buying chickens for their property because it’s the cool thing to do.  BUT, when they realize that chickens are loud and dirty with poop, they don’t want them.  One 29 year old was quoted as saying that he didn’t know chickens made noise.  Shelters in some areas are finding chickens being dumped at their doors.

Also, these "non farmer" millennials and others don't realize that they can get salmonella if they aren't careful in handling the chickens. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Statistical Outlier, you just majorly cracked me up! 

Just for the record, I don't care much for mice either - which you would know if you'd seen me going after the mice that showed up in my apartment last year with my assault-broom.  Fortunately, my landlord came to the rescue soon thereafter and thoroughly plugged up all cracks and holes they were using as doorways.  No more mice since!

"Mousegirl" references a nickname a very, very dear (and now deceased) friend bestowed on me years ago.

Edited by mousegirl
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I finally finished the Arkansas episode a few minutes ago after being interrupted last night.  Loved the castle house, but of course, that was not a viable option.  I loved the storage room in that house.  Wow - just wow, to have a room like that where you store things neatly and have them be accessible when you need then.

I agree that the camper scenes were staged because their house was already finished, so I guess they were recreating their time in the camper for the show.  We all know that so much of this show is fake anyway, and certainly not filmed in real time in some cases, so that didn't bother me too much.  The two toilet thing did bug me.  No one gets two toilets in one bathroom w/o custom designing a bathroom.  I wonder what food distribution company they work for?  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, topanga said:

Poor chickens. 

Stupid homeowners. Sorry if they're your friends. 

A really nice family otherwise, but no, that was not one of their best decisions 😜

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, TVForever said:

A really nice family otherwise, but no, that was not one of their best decisions 😜

Our next door neighbors had really noisy chickens for a while. Their own dogs had a "winner, winner, chicken dinner" moment and...no more chickens. Even domestic animals (like the Labrador retrievers next door) can be a menace to chickens.

The neighbor did bring me eggs once and they were very tasty 😊

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/25/2019 at 6:13 AM, Pickles said:

The Arkansas wife and her toilet demands. I am sure it was producer driven, but it is just TMI to hear how she likes a tall toilet and her husband enjoys a standard size toilet. I was waiting for her to explain how the tall toilet helped her empty her bowels.I have no doubt they had already moved into their new build home at the time of filming. Once again, they didn't want to go over $1 million and then spent $1.25 million. That fridge was enormous. Seemed crazy for the four of them.

That was so irritating.  She is only a few inches taller than her husband, but she continued putting him down with all the toilet talk.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/26/2019 at 3:01 PM, Mrs Huffnagle said:

That was so irritating.  She is only a few inches taller than her husband, but she continued putting him down with all the toilet talk.

I was yelling at her “Oh for shit’s sake.  Buy a freaking ADA height toilet, you idiot”.  I have those in my house and they are just fine.  At least none of those houses had those 1990’s super low boy pots, where you really feel like you’re copping a squat. 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't understand Toilet Woman's issue with the toilet height.  I mean, it's not like she was 7 feet tall.  It seemed to me she just wanted to highlight the fact that her husband was shorter than she was. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/22/2019 at 8:13 AM, Pickles said:

The Naples wife is going to have a breakdown when her sons have girlfriends or wives and want to spend a holiday with the in-laws. She was too much. And I am guessing the Naples husband/wife enjoyed sex in the hot tub? She talked about enjoying it while naked and then said--believe me, he (the husband) wants lots of privacy in the hot tub. Ok....ick. Also, not buying that the husband (urological surgeon) routinely works 100 hour weeks. If he works primarily M-F, that is 20 hours a day.

The agent's voice. Omg. I feel like we have seen her before.

Haha, I’m sure her sons were thrilled to hear how much their parents enjoy their naked hot tub time!  As did all of us!  😂 good for them, but we all don’t need to know!

lady, your sons will come back home or not based on the family and relationships you’ve built during their formative years, not whether there is an en suite or shared bathroom. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/22/2019 at 8:46 AM, Empress1 said:

Also, I would be mad if my realtor showed me a house half a million dollars more than I wanted to spend because I was "approved for it." What I'm approved for is whatever; I told you I wanted to spend $x, so show me stuff in that price range.

Think it was a humble brag? I'm with you, and once she said the price I would have said "get back in the car." And because of this approach to spending, I am in my mid-50s and able to retire if I wanted to barring a market meltdown or health issue. Just because one *can* afford something doesn't mean one should buy it!

On 10/26/2019 at 1:01 PM, Mrs Huffnagle said:

She is only a few inches taller than her husband, but she continued putting him down with all the toilet talk.

Maybe it's less about the input and more about the, er, output? In other words, perhaps she is full of ...

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/25/2019 at 1:11 PM, TVForever said:

That seems to have become a thing in the past few years. There are cities(!) now that allow people to keep chickens in their yards. I live in a suburban area that purposefully tried to develop in a way that kept as many trees as possible, so we're not the typical treeless tract home suburb. We're almost rural/forest, so my next door neighbors learned the hard way that chickens walking around freely in your yard (as interesting as they were to see) are also a tasty snack for the red foxes that freely roam our neighborhood (also interesting to see). 

If we were actual farmers, my neighbors would probably have known that those chickens needed to be properly protected from predators.

Yes! WTF, I am unfortunately for me, living rural. I see chickens all the time on the side of in just in the road. I am told they are free ranging it. Like that's ok. I guess they don't care if the "herd" needs to be thinned by a tractor trailer. What is wrong with people and their ideas that pets (usually cats) and farm animals can be left to their own devices.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/27/2019 at 7:25 PM, Ohwell said:

I didn't understand Toilet Woman's issue with the toilet height.  I mean, it's not like she was 7 feet tall.  It seemed to me she just wanted to highlight the fact that her husband was shorter than she was. 

As someone who has had a couple of joint replacements, the taller toilet is a lot easier to use if you've got a bum leg.  She didn't mention it, but, as soon as she said she wanted a taller toilet, I was waiting for her to talk about her arthritis.  But, that's just me.  I wouldn't, however, have expected to find a bathroom with both a taller and a regular height toilet while house hunting, though.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I have friends, she's quite tall, and he's much shorter.   With age they get the taller toilets, and they're both fine with that.   

The Nashville couple last night were so cute.  Since one partner doesn't drive, then walkability would be the most important factor in the house hunt.      Note to the house hunter about toilets and new builds equals no one used the toilet before you. Yes, they have used your toilet, everyone from the construction guys, the realtors, the other house hunters.  On the pre-Civil War condo, did they ever mention the condo fees?    The converted mills where I've lived are very pricey, and have huge condo fees.    

House #1 wins.     I really thought when they had furniture in the mill conversion condo that it was their choice, but I like the first house.    The third one with a smoke alarm in the master bath was ridiculous.   That alarm would go off with every shower.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I laughed when the Nashville real estate agent said all the appliances were new in house #1, a new build. I've never heard of a builder putting in used appliances. Note to producers - have the agent save that line for a house that isn't new.

I see (hear) the narrator is back. At least the annoying recaps are gone.

Here's a link to their restaurant. The names of their menu items are a hoot.

Mockingbird Restaurant

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

 The third one with a smoke alarm in the master bath was ridiculous.   That alarm would go off with every shower.  

What are you doing in your shower?!?! 😮

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Steam sets the smoke alarms off, in many cases I've run into.     

However, a funny story about my family's first smoke alarm.  No one read the directions, so it was screwed into the kitchen wall, right over the toaster oven.    Guess how long until it was moved?    It was out of the kitchen too. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Steam sets the smoke alarms off, in many cases I've run into.     

Yes.  I have to close my bathroom door when I take a shower because the smoke alarm was placed a little too close to the bathroom.  I still remember when I first moved here, being in the shower and the smoke alarm went off. 😱

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

The Nashville restaurant couple were charming but I don't understand getting a home that wasn't within walking distance to the restaurant. Restaurant work especially if one is the chef is grueling with long late hours. I can't imagine wanting to bike home late at night after having worked in a hot kitchen for many hours. However, I just kept thinking uber but that wouldn't have made for as much drama :-).

I live in Los Angeles in a fairly walkable urban part of the city and there are a very few people who don't drive. Their lives are so circumscribed and dependent on others. Even if one has a morbid fear of driving, he could learn how to drive so that he could at least drive himself back and forth on errands in the neighborhood and to and from work - avoiding freeways which seems to be a bugaboo for many people.

As for toilet lady, I don't understand the need for two height toilets. I am short - I doubt whether the husband is shorter than I am and have a so-called comfort height toilet and it's a great height. It's not as if these are Alice in Wonderland type six feet "thrones". On those occasions when I use a standard toilet, I realize how uncomfortable rising from one can be because you really are stressing the hips and knees. 

And of course the whole living in a trailer was bogus. The new build was obviously finished by the time of filming because HH doesn't wait a year for a reveal - you have to actually have your home in escrow and ready to film to even be considered. I also don't understand why they wouldn't have made life easier by just renting an apartment for a year - how expensive could a rental be in Alabama? I just finished a remodel and rented an apartment to live in while my place was under construction. It was an expense but my sanity is worth it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

On the pre-Civil War condo, did they ever mention the condo fees? 

I think they were $400 a month. The building looked to have quite a lot of amenities - I remember there were two pools.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

So last night's new one was Ada, Oklahoma.     They went with the first house, over budget, with a master bath shower the husband couldn't stand up in?  My guess is after they pay for the massive amount of fencing (by the way, in tornado country, chain link is so much better than the wooden privacy fence), they're going to make the shower bigger, so the shower head won't be way too short, and have a ceiling that he's not hitting with his head?   My guess is that shower has probably been gutted already, and the entire bathroom is  redone.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size