Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/26/2022 at 10:28 PM, rhofmovalley said:

I was just about to post that.

She seems, um, "spacey". She owns her own management company? I hope she has a really great CEO. Unless she's putting on an act, which would still be ridiculous.

She reminded me a little of Anna Nicole Smith.

• Love 5
On 1/27/2022 at 12:50 AM, LittleIggy said:

She really needed a bra. I was embarrassed for the dog from “Hungaria” having to wear that hat. Samantha did look very stylish. Her hijabs were lovely.

That poor dog...the husband drove me cray cray with his non stop blabbering about "investment", equity and sweat equity.

• Love 4
On 1/26/2022 at 4:27 PM, mojito said:

Marietta, GA

Nice couple. I think they're going to flip that house and then buy that big spread that he wants. I understand he'd like to have cows.

That second house was maybe the first house I've every seen on HGTV that actually fits the definition of "modern farmhouse". The moment the exterior came on the screen my husband I and screamed "MODERN FARMHOUSE!!!!!" (and then we said jinx lol). 

• LOL 6
On 1/13/2022 at 10:33 PM, Grizzly said:

Columbia, MD. Here we go, wanting everything for a low price. Do these people not watch this show? The realtor has his own style. About all he has going for him since no commission could make up for the time he's spent with this couple. Mike being all excited about the bidet was funny. Of course she got a deal.

Hated her. And who wants to sit on & utilize somebody’s use portable bidet. 🤮 I’ve always thrown away the toilet seat in every place I’ve lived. 

• Love 2
On 1/12/2022 at 12:13 PM, rhofmovalley said:

I don't recall how long the former Navy woman served, but if it was a full 20 years she would have a very nice pension. She has small children, so it may have been fewer years. But her pension could still be considerable.

I didn't think she would take the third house mainly because it only had 2.5 bathrooms. So only one full bath for 5 children unless she shared her en suite with some of the kids (she would almost have to).

Kids were super cute.

Makes me really wish I had joined the military and gotten a desk job ( no way am I brave)  Doubt Navy  woman was on active duty she must’ve had a desk job for 20 years but it still enabled her to buy a half $1 million house . holy shit. I know that you get many perks, tax breaks, discounts,  being retired military besides a good pension that you can take while you are still young. Not bad if you can get one of the safe jobs. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I’ve always thrown away the toilet seat in every place I’ve lived. 

It never even occurred to me to do that.

But I'm gross, because I like carpet.  And I just realized another reason I like carpet--it's quieter.  I really hate the noise when people walk on hardwood floors.  Even slippers make a flappy, scrape-y sound.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Me neither, and it's not anything I'd start doing.  All I need is for a toilet seat to be clean; I toss one if it's broken or the finish has worn off, not if someone else has been sitting on it.

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

And I just realized another reason I like carpet--it's quieter.  I really hate the noise when people walk on hardwood floors.  Even slippers make a flappy, scrape-y sound.

I'm always barefoot in the house, so I don't deal with that on my hardwood floors, but that's another valid reason which never comes up when the rare HH to want carpet is featured; it's always some nonsensical reason instead.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Me neither, and it's not anything I'd start doing.  All I need is for a toilet seat to be clean; I toss one if it's broken or the finish has worn off, not if someone else has been sitting on it.

I'm always barefoot in the house, so I don't deal with that on my hardwood floors, but that's another valid reason which never comes up when the rare HH to want carpet is featured; it's always some nonsensical reason instead.

Makes you wonder how people manage when they visit someone's house, stay in a hotel, need to use a public restroom. Well, know the answer to that last one -- they hover and pee all over the floor.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

Makes you wonder how people manage when they visit someone's house, stay in a hotel, need to use a public restroom. Well, know the answer to that last one -- they hover and pee all over the floor.

Because you obviously can’t change out the toilet seat when you’re visiting  or when you’re using a public restroom. But just for shits and giggles just think about how many people actually unclasp their toilet seat and take it off and clean behind there because you will probably vomit if you looked at your own definitely at a rental or a new purchase  so if you want to sit in that shit literally,  go right ahead

12 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But I'm gross, because I like carpet.  And I just realized another reason I like carpet--it's quieter.  I really hate the noise when people walk on hardwood floors.  Even slippers make a flappy, scrape-y sound.

Is it just me? I’ve always insisted that the carpet be steamed cleaned before I moved into a rental and I will do it myself in a new home if I can’t remove it because God knows what went on on that carpet. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

Because you obviously can’t change out the toilet seat when you’re visiting  or when you’re using a public restroom. But just for shits and giggles just think about how many people actually unclasp their toilet seat and take it off and clean behind there because you will probably vomit if you looked at your own definitely at a rental or a new purchase  so if you want to sit in that shit literally,  go right ahead

Is it just me? I’ve always insisted that the carpet be steamed cleaned before I moved into a rental and I will do it myself in a new home if I can’t remove it because God knows what went on on that carpet. 

I use a seat cover or, if one is not available, cover the seat with toilet paper. You're supposed to center yourself on the seat, not put your genitals on it.

53 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

I use a seat cover or, if one is not available, cover the seat with toilet paper. You're supposed to center yourself on the seat, not put your genitals on it.

I do actually sterilize my toilet seat thoroughly when I clean and I do use a seat cover or TP when using a public restroom or at a hotel. I don't know what diseases I can contract through my butt cheeks or thighs. Especially once the seat has been cleaned with a disinfecting cleaner.

As for carpet, a good steam cleaning will take care of any grossness. And don't wear shoes indoors or go outdoors barefoot or in your socks, problem solved.

Anyway...I did like the location of Akron guy's home. That beautiful, peaceful forest setting...

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Really, didn’t know that🙄

• LOL 3

Island in Virginia. Really, Alana is willing to buy a 2 bedroom vacation home for 2 families just because it's cute? Sure, the kitchen was gorgeous. For 1 family. Project house was too expensive plus renovations. Off island did seem to be the best value. I'll never understand these people.

• Love 2

Virginia Island: You’re going to have to paint when you buy used. That’s not a renovation. I hope they didn’t paint over the July 4th powder room, which was horrible but went with the house’s vacation purpose — that’s a major holiday they’ll be spending there. I didn’t like the kitchen counters, but they were in good shape and would last for a while. Not a deal breaker if the cost or effort to replace were prohibitive. They were acting like the house was a complete gut job and they were moving load bearing walls and oh dear their husbands didn’t want projects.

The one woman even pretending to consider the first house was a non-starter. I kinda rolled my eyes.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

I thought for sure they would show, or at least mention, the ponies.  Misty of Chincoteague was a childhood favorite and my ears perked up when I heard where they were looking.

Alas....

Yeah, I was hoping we'd at least get a shot of some of the ponies as an intro to one of the segments.  My late sister loved Misty of Chincoteague.  Her first grandchild was born this summer and I gave her a copy of it with a note about her grandma at my niece' baby shower.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Island in Virginia. Really, Alana is willing to buy a 2 bedroom vacation home for 2 families just because it's cute? Sure, the kitchen was gorgeous. 

Gorgeous? Really? It looked like nearly every flipped kitchen out there.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Longview, WA. How many pairs of ripped jeans does Brianna own and does she wear them to work? I would like to be friends with Kaheen, yum. The mom gave good advice, it was a pleasure to have her along.

• Love 6

Wrestler in LA

Wow. She was sure an upbeat, glass-half-full kind of lady. Her budget was $400K and you can imagine the kind of places she had to choose from in that market. She surprised even her agent at how appealing she found some of the grungier aspects of the homes that she looked at.  

And then there was that furry car....

Although somewhat uncomfortable to watch (I don't do grunge very well), I'm glad that HH gave me a look at the lower-end real estate of the area.

• Like 1
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Longview, WA. How many pairs of ripped jeans does Brianna own and does she wear them to work? I would like to be friends with Kaheen, yum. The mom gave good advice, it was a pleasure to have her along.

What did Brianna do for a living. I missed the beginning few minutes. Yes, the realtor was a hottie! 

• Love 4

Chincoteague Island:

11 people in an 1000 sqft house? Not worth it just because its “on island”. I would leave the island if I had to stay there with 10 other people. 

I am surprised (but glad b/c of sqftage) they chose house 2 (fixer upper) after Alana’s husband “Abner” supposedly said he didnt want projects and she mentioned that every chance she got. Then He came on screen and was like “Oh this is fine we can fix this.” 

9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

What did Brianna do for a living. I missed the beginning few minutes. Yes, the realtor was a hottie! 

Executive assistance to a President of a college 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, answerphone said:

I was expecting this board to explode regarding the colorful lady wrestler in LA.

I’m watching now and it’s certainly an entertaining segment 🤪

Aw I liked her! Such a nice change from the “ I must have open concept, white kitchen, house exactly like my childhood home” folks. She was so excited and happy. 

• Like 1
  • Love 22

Lady wrestler bought a house in one of the worst, most crime infested areas of Los Angeles county. Yikes. There's a reason why there are bars on all the windows.

However, she seemed so happy with her little dump in a crappy neighborhood! I have to say good for her for seeing only the positives. Normally Susie Sunshine types get on my nerves but it was hard to be annoyed at her happiness.

As for Longview woman, yikes at the ripped jeans. Those were kind of awful. I thought hottie realtor wants to date her. Lucky her!

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I liked the wrestler lady but I wouldn't want to get within 10 feet of that house or her.  They both were grungy.  

She also talked about having a wife and kids in the future, and I hope she moves to a better neighborhood before having kids. 

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, buttersister said:

She did! With long-range, realistic-sounding plans for improvements. Figure she'd kick the ass of anyone who bothered her.

I used to work in that neighborhood. We were told very firmly to never park on the street and to never go out to lunch alone. There were frequent shootings and person to person crimes were rampant. Packs of stray dogs roaming around and trash all over the streets. It seemed like the local government was unconcerned. It didn't really help if you were trained in self defense as that wouldn't be effective against weapons.

That being said, I hope things have gotten better over the past few years. And I'm glad she's happy.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

There's a reason why there are bars on all the windows.

And non-decorative iron(?) fences around the fronts of all the houses.  It was a really dispiriting area. 

I also noticed that there were used tires in the yard next door.

Also, that covered carport?  Was it a trellis, with stuff growing on it?  It didn't look impermeable, which means her furry car is going to get wet even parked under there.  And what does she do if she needs to go to work when it's raining?  Really, even in Southern California, having a car you can't take out in the rain seems like a not great idea.

ETA:  When the episode ended, I was trying to remember what her current place looked like, but then realized they never showed it.  I'd really like to see it.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
35 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

And non-decorative iron(?) fences around the fronts of all the houses.  It was a really dispiriting area. 

I also noticed that there were used tires in the yard next door.

Also, that covered carport?  Was it a trellis, with stuff growing on it?  It didn't look impermeable, which means her furry car is going to get wet even parked under there.  And what does she do if she needs to go to work when it's raining?  Really, even in Southern California, having a car you can't take out in the rain seems like a not great idea.

ETA:  When the episode ended, I was trying to remember what her current place looked like, but then realized they never showed it.  I'd really like to see it.

She needs to invest in a non-furry car cover.

I wonder if she already has one but the producers wanted an unconventional storyline.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Y'all got me curious enough to watch, and normally someone who smiles that much would make me stabby, but I enjoyed her.  I like the way she spoke about all the homes, and watching someone charmed by a tiny rundown home in a very rough area was a nice change of pace.  I laughed at her friend-agent saying, "You're the only client I have who wouldn't gut this kitchen." 

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Based on the discussion here about the wrestler in LA, I had to watch. What a fun episode. She sure was quirky. More fun, happy, non-picky house hunters please.

I saw a chyron for a new show, Home Inspector Joe? Nice to see them have a show addressing home inspections besides Holmes.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Oh yeah, hot realtor !

• Love 7

Durham, NC. Two young professionals with a more realistic budget. Agree with Taylor that house #1 is too small. It wasn't laid out well. I thought #2 was a good option. Did #3 have a second bathroom? Really only that European bathroom needed renovating. The kitchen was fine. I thought at 309, it was going to be a train wreck. I never thought of NC as a big snake state. 

It’s kind of appalling that a $400k budget only gets you those rundown crappy houses in LA….the buyer was quite likeable though. She is a true “look on the bright side” type of person, and that was refreshing to see. I hope the purple house works out for her. It looked very sketchy to me. 

I thought the Durham couple picked the right house. Blowing out the wall and creating a large master bath and closet in the 3rd house was not going to be cheap, and I assume that the post was in the middle of the living room because that wall is load bearing, so fixing that wasn’t going to be cheap either. Also, that bathroom was just bizarre. I’ve never seen an American home have a bathroom like that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Durham, NC. Two young professionals with a more realistic budget. Agree with Taylor that house #1 is too small. It wasn't laid out well. I thought #2 was a good option. Did #3 have a second bathroom? Really only that European bathroom needed renovating. The kitchen was fine. I thought at 309, it was going to be a train wreck. I never thought of NC as a big snake state. 

I called it a Chinese bathroom. I had to use one like that in China. 
Compare what Candy Pain got in SoCal with what they got in Durham, NC for prices in the same ballpark. 🤦‍♀️

• Love 2