Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Okay...I am not sure what has happened.  Is there where we post our thoughts on current House Hunters episodes?

Yep. They put the old House Hunters thread in the vault. See the very 1st post in this thread for the location of the old HH thread which was vaulted.

Edited by ECM1231
  • Love 1

Thanks.  I hate to sound really dumb  or out-of-touch (I am well past 70)...but does the "vault" mean that those posts/threads are archived?  And we can no longer post anything in them?  If so....

I do miss the narrator for the newer House Hunters.  And do they still produce the "where are they now" shows?  

There have been quite a few shows lately based on lakes, water, ocean...probably ponds.  I would just like to know where/how so many of these families get the money for second homes. But I love looking at the houses.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Kemper said:

There have been quite a few shows lately based on lakes, water, ocean...probably ponds.  I would just like to know where/how so many of these families get the money for second homes. But I love looking at the houses.

Who knows? Family money? Savings? 

Put them on the list with the home make-up artists and local musicians who can afford million dollar homes. 

I haven't watched last night's episode yet about the women with the bright Hawaiian shirts and their real estate agent who looks like one of the HHs from the recent Portland episode. 

• Love 1

We moved several times when raising our kids.  Over the years we have sold 5 homes and are living in our sixth.  Never, when looking at houses when our kids were little, did "making memories" occur to us when house hunting.  I am not saying that it isn't a nice thought...it is just that we never thought of it when we were in our house-hunting years.  

It was mostly how many bedrooms, what was the yard like, how big was the kitchen, were there other kids in the neighborhood for our kids to play with, how were the schools, how long was the commute for work.  Just us?  

• Love 13
6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Seattle: A $1.2 million house without air conditioning? 😳 I know it’s Seattle but still...

The problem is $1.2M isn't a big budget in Seattle. That will get you a nice-but-normal house, and almost no existing houses there have air conditioning.

(We lived there 20 years, did some traveling, and now are trying to move back. We will not consider a house that doesn't have A/C, which almost certainly means we have to buy a new build BEFORE it's built, so we can add A'C to the plans. )

I can't imagine living w/o A/C anymore, but I live in south Louisiana.  Grew up w/o it, but that was many years ago before everyplace had A/C.  Guess I won't be moving to Seattle.

I got a chuckle out of the husband miscounting the children at the beginning, and then saying he was thinking about the number of dogs instead.  Also liked it when he would jump up and down on what I assumed was a concrete slab floor and declare the house sturdy.  His reasoning was good though, since he was from a country where earthquakes are not uncommon.  Wonder what company he works for?

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

The problem is $1.2M isn't a big budget in Seattle. That will get you a nice-but-normal house, and almost no existing houses there have air conditioning.

Statistically, Seattle has been impacted by climate shift which is why few existing homes have AC.  The average July temp in 2010 was 75 while last year it was 83.  I could live comfortably without AC when it's 75 - not so much at 83!  And it's only going to get worse.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Statistically, Seattle has been impacted by climate shift which is why few existing homes have AC.  The average July temp in 2010 was 75 while last year it was 83.  I could live comfortably without AC when it's 75 - not so much at 83!  And it's only going to get worse.

Portland is the same way. I grew up there, and no one had AC--in the '70s and '80s, it rarely got above 80 degrees (27 C) in the summer

I don't live there anymore, but yesterday the high was 96 (36 C)

• Love 1
(edited)

Grapevine, TX episode:  The house hunters said that they worked for an airline and were gone a lot of the time.  My thought was:  what happens with their teenage daughter when they're gone?  Who is watching her?

I liked the third house, myself.

Edited by Babalooie
(edited)

With the Grapevine couple, I figured that they travel a lot, but probably rotate their schedule to cover being home for the daughter.    Or else they have live in help, or have other arrangements.       I really liked the houses in Texas.     I love it when they show a different town.

The Portland episode last week was so much fun for me.    The fact that the homeowners compromised was so nice.     I loved the back yard on the house they picked, and love that they were tackling the inside of the house to make it what they want.   Plus, I'm sure the location of the home they picked will really up the value quickly, especially with the remodeled inside.  

It was strange at first having the narrator gone, but I don't miss the scripted 'issues' that were added before, and I think the home buyers have stopped most of the really strange requests.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

I think they love their kids, but every parent of a small child needs a breather, even if it's just to read the daily paper and have a cup of coffee.

A playroom for the kids when they are little is really wonderful--for them and the parents.

• Love 5

Also, some people just need space to decompress even from their family because that is just how they are weird it doesn’t mean they don’t love their partners, children, family or friends.

• Love 1

Oh, I get parents needing a breather, but I saw a show today where the parents were delighted the house had a room where they could "put" the kids where they didn't have to see or hear them. Just seemed cold. I didn't grow up in such a house. I don't remember either of my parents wanting to get away from me.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Seattle: A $1.2 million house without air conditioning? 😳 I know it’s Seattle but still...

I was shocked when I saw the size of those houses. My brother lives in Seattle and he paid about that. His house was built in the 1920's, is way smaller and I think he had to add AC.  Of course his house is in the city proper. Maybe they were looking like an hour out.

• Love 3

This Montana couple is really annoying. He wants a "hidey hole", she's a complaining shrew.

I expect it to end in divorce. 

And I miss the old forum. Not excited about changes here these days.

• Love 15

I thought it was odd that the Nigerian house hunters (the man was named Chidi, which made me smile as I love the character in The Good Place with the same name) were looking in New Jersey. Not Montclair or Camden or Trenton ... just New Jersey. They spent way more than they planned - $100K more than their budget AND renovations. Yikes. They were nice though, and a good-looking couple. I liked that the wife was like, yeah, we need two sinks, I'm messy as hell.

• Love 8

OMG, what grown man whines about a "hidey hole" and "can't feel the creativity" incessantly.

And the wife came across as a total bitch.  Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine.

They acted like they couldn't stand each other - how did they even manage to have kids?

Couldn't stand either of them.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
5 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

This Montana couple is really annoying. He wants a "hidey hole", she's a complaining shrew.

I expect it to end in divorce. 

Exactly what I was thinking. They should just buy two separate houses and be done with it.

And if he says "hidey hole" one more time, I may scream.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
Just now, Bubbacat said:

And if he says "hidey hole" one more time, I may scream.

And there is still 10 minutes to go.  Ugh.  I don't even care what they choose, one of them will hate it anyway.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Seriously, have any of you ever used the phrase hidey hole? I didn't even know that was a thing. The wife is a harpy. Neither the wife nor the husband are appealing AT ALL. 

• Love 8

I think he locked her out of the car on purpose. [Shrew voice] "Can you let me in?" I'd have a lot more respect for him if he'd driven off and left her standing there. And if he never ever said "hidey hole" again.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4

He’s not great, but I completely understand why he needs his own space (no, I won’t use their childish term). She’s too self absorbed to understand why he bolts to find one the minute they walk into a house. My least liked couple in years. This will be her forever home. Him, not so much. He’ll be in a 1/1 apartment once the kids are gone. Also... those countertops SHE HAD TO GET FIRST were super fug. 

• Love 7

And I thought it was just me. These Montana people are ridiculous. They don't even like each other. I think their budget is way too much. Over $2000 a month? They are going to get in trouble financially again.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, rhofmovalley said:

Montana couple HATE each other. Maybe they decided to go on the show to try to prove who's "right".

I hardly ever watch the regular version but caught a minute with them in the car and had to change the channel.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Pickles said:

Seriously, have any of you ever used the phrase hidey hole?

Because "man cave" is so last year.

10 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Maybe they need a 2 family house. I'd need soundproofing if I lived with her.

She was so loud! I was like, is my volume all the way up? No?

9 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

And I thought it was just me. These Montana people are ridiculous. They don't even like each other. I think their budget is way too much. Over $2000 a month? They are going to get in trouble financially again.

He's a cop and she was an office manager (I think - IIRC her title had "manager" in it), so $2K a month didn't strike me as out of reach. They were awful people though.

Hidey hole hidey hole hidey hole!

• Love 1

Wow, the Montana couple did not seem suited to each other at all.  All of that drama about having to find their "forever" house could have been avoided if they had just rented an apartment for a few months while looking for a house to buy.  If it's to be a forever house, you don't want to have to be pushed into making a rushed decision, but I guess that was the contrived drama assigned to this episode.   They certainly weren't homeless, as the wife so dramatically put it.

I understand that people make important decisions in different ways, and I think the husband was more introverted, and deliberative in his decision making than the wife who looked for different things.  I don't think that should have been a negative when they toured the houses and went separate ways at first.  I can understand the husband wanting a separate space for himself, especially with the type of job he has.  Most people benefit from a place to have some time/space for themselves.  The wife probably has one too, but either won't admit it, or it's not as important to her.  She admitted they made decisions differently, and she admitted that she acts more quickly.  She also said she was trying to be more inclusive of his opinion in buying the house, but I think she needed to work on that last one a bit more.  

One of the houses they toured had a very odd narrow storage room, with customized shelving in the basement.  Looked like a place where you could store tons of food.  I was thinking maybe the former owners had built it in preparation for some catastrophe.  I love it when a house has some quirk like that.           

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

She was so loud! I was like, is my volume all the way up? No?

He's a cop and she was an office manager (I think - IIRC her title had "manager" in it), so $2K a month didn't strike me as out of reach. They were awful people though.

Hidey hole hidey hole hidey hole!

Empress1, guess I have no idea what mortgages are. That just seems high for Montana. Lived in North Dakota for 4 years,  and ours was under $1000 for a lovely 3br, 3 ba. I guess I'm thinking since they've been in financial trouble before they want to be really conservative this time. Plus with 2 teenagers and the soon-to-be lawyer fees that's a lot of expenses in the near future.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

Empress1, guess I have no idea what mortgages are. That just seems high for Montana. Lived in North Dakota for 4 years,  and ours was under $1000 for a lovely 3br, 3 ba. I guess I'm thinking since they've been in financial trouble before they want to be really conservative this time. Plus with 2 teenagers and the soon-to-be lawyer fees that's a lot of expenses in the near future.

Heh.

I'm a lifelong urban northeasterner, so $2K a month for 3000 square feet of housing (which is what I think the wife said she wanted - not sure if that's how much they ended up with) doesn't sound high to me; I've seen people pay more for way less space (including on this very show!).

I am sometimes surprised by how much stuff costs in parts of the country I don't know, which is why I like the show. 

• Love 4

I was so annoyed with the hidey holers that I forgot about that nice Nigerian couple in New Jersey.  I was surprised that they took the house that was supposedly so far over their budget, but then I figured the couple was just creating tv drama.   They both seemed to have nice families too.   

• Love 4

I loved the New Jersey couple, and how proud they were to be the first homeowners on either side of their families.

I loathed the Montana couple, and hope for the neighbors sake that the couple stay home a lot with their kids.    If anyone used the term "hidey hole" to me, I'll slap them until they stop.  

• Love 5
On 6/13/2019 at 4:40 AM, rainsmom said:

(We lived there 20 years, did some traveling, and now are trying to move back. We will not consider a house that doesn't have A/C, which almost certainly means we have to buy a new build BEFORE it's built, so we can add A'C to the plans. )

We bought our latest home ten years ago, 4 blocks from our old home in Woodinville, and it has AC.  The home was built in 1989, and the AC was added in 2008.  You may be surprised how many people have added AC. Half of our neighbors have added them and natural gas generators.  Power outages have gotten worse.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4