Type keyword(s) to search

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It's been so long since season 3. I'm debating whether I want to start the show from the beginning. 

About 50 half hour episodes is 25 hours. If I knew when the interactive special was coming out (besides sometime in 2020) I could time it out so I would be ready for the special. But I also kind of want to skip over lesser episodes or plotlines that got dropped. Basically, I want to remember all the bunker stuff and mole women stuff and most of what's been going on with Tituss but I want to skip over Kimmy's relationships that didn't go anywhere and episodes or plots that just weren't very funny.

My favorite part was getting “Wow. You killed me all three ways.” Yes. Yes, I did.

I need to rewatch. The first time through I had some kind of glitch and didn’t realize it. The choices weren’t popping up for a long time after the dress one and I thought it was just poking fun at the concept as it just kept talking about choices and then doing whatever.

• Love 5

I was surprised at how dark things could get when you made the "wrong" choices...I assumed this would be less stressful than Bandersnatch (which is very dark), but in some ways it wasn't because I know these characters and care about what happens to them!

Looking forward to going back and trying some other options. I've seen clips of other storylines circulating and want to figure out how I can get them.

• Love 4

Despite all the silliness I surprisingly found the correct choice of Kimmy not killing the Reverend to be one of the most emotionally honest moments the show did.  Maybe it was because it had the two of them face to face, but you could just see her put the trauma behind her.

Don't get me wrong, I think writing Legends of Greemulax was the perfect ending, but like anything this show did about PTSD, I was there for it.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, starri said:

Despite all the silliness I surprisingly found the correct choice of Kimmy not killing the Reverend to be one of the most emotionally honest moments the show did.  Maybe it was because it had the two of them face to face, but you could just see her put the trauma behind her.

I originally picked "stomp him" because it sounded like it would be silly, and I wasn't expecting her to literally kick him to death.

That's what I mean, shit got dark! I also killed Kimmy, Jacqueline, and Buckley in a plane crash* and let the Reverend get away with the other mole women because I hadn't read the book.

*The plane crash scene was worth it for the reference to the college admissions scandal. Of course Jacqueline would be involved in that.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

I originally picked "stomp him" because it sounded like it would be silly, and I wasn't expecting her to literally kick him to death.

Go back and pick all three of the wrong choices in a row.  You get a funny bonus scene.

I didn't manage to find Mimi Kanassis, 

• Love 4

There is apparently some way to get Mimi and Xan singing karaoke at Frederick's bachelor party. No idea how that's possible, but I've only played it through once.

Forgot to mention Daniel Radcliffe is an absolute delight in this. I was a Harry Potter kid so I'll always have a special place in my heart for him, but he fit into the world so seamlessly.

• Love 3

I loved this! I wasn't sure - Jon Hamm isn't my favorite, but I love him as the rev and this didn't have nearly as much of him in it as I thought. And I really didn't know what to expect with the interactive part of it, and thought at first it was going to be too gimmicky, but it was SO well done. I laughed my ass off. (Well, I wish. My quarantine 15 needs help...)

I have recently binged some Ally McBeal — Jane Krakowski has been amazing for so many years, heh. And Danielle Radcliffe was great! 

I'm going to miss Kimmy. I would legit watch a show about her being married to the Harry Potter King of England. (Maybe she could start a Kimxit.) 

• Love 3
(edited)
23 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Same here! I thought that she would just give him one little kick, not kick him to death and then become a crazed hill person for Xan to make a documentary film about! As wacky as this show is, shit gets dark. 

That was a ton of fun, like a more madcap Bandersnatch (and yet I kept killing people by making bad choices in both) I feel like I need to play again to see what other choices I can make now that I got the correct ending. The connection with those old choose your own adventure kids books was clever, and as goofy as it was, Kimmy letting the Rev live and saving another batch of women he kidnapped was a really strong way to end Kimmys story and her character arc. They even shot Kimmy holding her hand out to the first women out of the bunker in a similar POV shot as the opening credits when the SWAT guy helped her out of the bunker back in the pilot. That really was a fascinating transition, opening credit song guy. 

Danielle Radcliffe really fit into this show well, he could really match Kimmy in high energy whimsy. My favorite bad endings were probably when things went seemingly well without much happening, before they admitted that this seemed like a boring ending with a lot of loose plot threads, and when I told Kimmy to go after the Rev and not babysit the gas station baby, and Mickey showed up to tell me that I was making bad choices for Kimmy. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

They even shot Kimmy holding her hand out to the first women out of the banker in a similar POV shot as the opening credits when the SWAT guy helped her out of the bunker back in the pilot. That really was a fascinating transition, opening credit song guy. 

"It's here! It's all still here!" I 100% teared up.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

"It's here! It's all still here!" I 100% teared up.

She and the first woman she pulled up hugging is what got me.

And I do like that when you make the right choices, the Reverend gets kicked to death in prison, so I still get what I want.

Kimmy’s “That’s not the world that I want to live in” just sums up her character so well and is so powerful.

I watched it this weekend. This was so fun! I don't know how I did it but I did get Mimi doing Karaoke. I didn't get Xan doing it though. I also got KJ 1 attending the wedding once. I liked that even when you were successful, there were still little possible ways to be surprised. 

I also liked the killing the reverend all 3 ways. I didn't think 'splode him would do what it did. But ultimately of course Kimmy wouldn't kill him. 

I really enjoyed this! I got (what I think) was the "best" ending the first time, and only "messed up" twice, which I was proud of since the pathways to good options weren't as obvious as I expected. The second time I played, I got to the wedding again, thinking I somehow did well again, only to have Jacqueline tell me I messed up. I definitely want to go back and try some other options... I got several "story ended too soon" endings but I wonder how many choices can still get me to the wedding.

I was pleasantly surprised by how they added in different takes on replays (at first I thought I was losing my mind, lol). The Reverend's "NY bagel" line delivery was the same the first two or three times and then different the last time I played. Exploring all the options is already a way to get us to keep watching but knowing there are so many different takes to catch is great, too.

On 5/14/2020 at 7:47 PM, helenamonster said:

That's what I mean, shit got dark! I also killed Kimmy, Jacqueline, and Buckley in a plane crash* and let the Reverend get away with the other mole women because I hadn't read the book.

*The plane crash scene was worth it for the reference to the college admissions scandal. Of course Jacqueline would be involved in that.

That's what I thought too! I mean, it was right by 'splode him, which also sounded cute and probably fun. Nope. LOL. I don't know how I felt about all the extremely dark endings (watching Kimmy kill the Reverend was like watching a totally different show) but it was probably in line with choose-your-own-adventure books.

On 5/14/2020 at 8:02 PM, starri said:

I didn't manage to find Mimi Kanassis, 

I caught Mimi on a second run-through at the start of the karaoke scene but after two short scenes, she disappeared. It felt like one of the random scene changes rather than one of my choices leading to her being there.

On 5/14/2020 at 7:50 PM, Frisson said:

Skip the theme song. It’s worth it. 

I was like, "best 'wrong choice' ever!" I guess I should have known it would be an interactive spot since the skip button was on the left side of the screen rather than the usual right (unless Netflix moved it over there and I haven't noticed).

• Love 1

I really liked this. I have been through a few versions. I really liked when the had Jacqueline basically cancel the Me Too/Times Up movement. This was an outcome that REALLY came out of left field. 
I wanted more of Mikey but him being the moral center and calling me out on not making the right choices for Kimmy was spot on. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

This was so fun. Jacqueline’s son flying the airplane was hilarious even though it was a dead end. I also loved Titus singing Free Bird (we chose the option where he knew the lyrics)

I got to the wedding and then at the end Jaqueline gave it an A- because there were better options for her and Titus. I’ll have to go back and make more changes later. 

• Love 1

That was a lot of fun. Kind of a bit long but still a lot better and with a way more coherent story than Bandersnach (which was just a bunch of random stuff). The Reverend in hell with Mr. Frumpus was hilarious. I kind of want to try again since I want to see Mimi and I never saw Josh Groban. Plus in my version Jack McBrayer didn't really do anything and I assume he actually has stuff to do. 

Picking the dress at the beginning and having it pay off at the end was good. And I like that it was a lot easier to go back and fix your mistakes (I never picked read the book). I thought with black mirror there was a couple of times where if you made a few too many bad choices you just got a crappy ending.