Type keyword(s) to search

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend got 2 Emmy award nominations, and the only nominations for CW!

Outstanding Original Music And Lyrics

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend • I Have To Get Out / Song Title: Antidepressants Are So Not A Big Deal
CW • CBS Television Studios in association with Warner Bros. Television
Adam Schlesinger, Music & Lyrics by
Rachel Bloom, Music & Lyrics by
Jack Dolgen, Lyrics by

Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
CW • CBS Television Studios in association with Warner Bros. Television
Rachel Bloom, Theme by
Jack Dolgen, Theme by
Adam Schlesinger, Theme by

• Love 1

CXG has won a juried award for choreography:

Outstanding Choreography For Scripted Programming

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend • Routines: Don’t Be a Lawyer; Antidepressants Are So Not a Big Deal • CW • CBS Television Studios in association with Warner Bros. Television
Kathryn Burns, Choreographer

... Kathryn Burns lands her second Emmy and the first awarded in the new juried category Outstanding Choreography for Scripted Programming. ...

Juried categories require all entrants to be screened by a panel of professionals in the appropriate peer group with the possibility of one, more than one or no entry being awarded an Emmy. Therefore, there are no nominees but instead a one-step evaluation and voting procedure. Deliberations include open discussions of each entrant’s work with a thorough review of the merits of awarding the Emmy.

All of the juried awards for these categories will be presented at the Creative Arts Awards ceremony on Saturday, September 14, except for Outstanding Choreography For Scripted Programming, which will be handed out during the ceremony on Sunday, September 15. ...

Emmys: TV Academy Unveils Juried Award Winners

• Love 2

This is from a few months ago (right before the cast was performing at Radio City Music Hall,) but here's Vincent Rodriguez III pulled up from the audience to sing "A Whole New World" with Lea Salonga at a concert of hers. He's adorably nervous to be singing with her and talks a little about when she guest-starred on CEG.

• Love 1

Skylar Astin is on a new show called Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist. He plays the best friend of the main character and there is going to be lots of singing (and they have cast several Broadway singers) so even if you didn't love Skylar as a Greg replacement, you still might like this show:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Also, I presume, if we did love him as a Greg replacement? 🙂 

That bit of frivolity aside, I recognize him, Peter Gallagher, Stephanie Styles, and (really stretching a point) Lauren Graham as people I've seen sing in stage shows. Are they the ones you meant, or should I recognize other names in the cast?

Edited by Rinaldo

Rachel Bloom is currently seven months pregnant and on her way back to LA after the holidays, she found herself stranded in Bakersfield due to the roads being closed. She and her husband tried getting a hotel room for the night but they were all booked (the only hotels with available rooms were two hours away and she thought they were going to have to sleep in their car in the parking lot at Denny's that night) so she went on twitter to see if anyone had a place that she could stay. A nice couple offered to let them stay at their house. Awwww!

https://twitter.com/k_hua/status/1210790498681536513/video/1

90s sitcom The Nanny to become a Broadway musical with music/lyrics by CEG's Rachel Bloom and Adam Schlesinger

Honestly, we should have put two and two together a while ago when Drescher was showing up to the premiere of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. When her hit CW musical show ended, Bloom mentioned Drescher in an interview with The Los Angeles Times.

“I’ve become friendly with Fran Drescher,” Bloom said earlier this year, “and I’ve been talking to her about this because I was at the final sound mix and I was sobbing — it was a good grief. And she was saying that, ‘oh yeah, when The Nanny ended, it felt like a friend had died,’ and that she’d talked to other women and she talked to Valerie Harper, who said the same thing. And I think there is something about when you embody someone, especially when you embody someone and then create someone, they’re not only a part of you, but they’re a family member.”

[...]

“The Nanny was a fundamental part of my childhood because it was the first time I saw an openly Jewish female protagonist on television,” Bloom said in a statement. “The story of Fran Fine, however, is a universal one that has touched the hearts of people of every race, religion and orientation. I am so proud to be using the characters established by The Nanny to tell a new story about one woman’s journey to becoming proud of who she is and what makes her different.”

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I am so proud to be using the characters established by The Nanny to tell a new story about one woman’s journey to becoming proud of who she is and what makes her different.”

I had heard about this, but was wondering how they would translate an entire TV series to a musical; I guess this partly answers my question!

11 hours ago, Trini said:

And this is probably old news, but if anyone else is as late as I am: Rachel voices a character in the Trolls: World Tour movie:

My son and I watched it on Easter.  She was great in it!  Actually, the whole movie was super cute and I kind of liked it better than the original Trolls movie.  Highly recommend!

• Love 1
(edited)

This weekend's free Andrew Lloyd Webber show is a musical called By Jeeves which features Donna Lynne Champlin as Honoria (the Broadway cast was filmed in 2001). It's only available to watch for a few more hours so catch it if you can (if you're short on time, her first appearance is just after the 41 minute mark)

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I haven't watched it yet, so I can't comment about it; but the cast did a second Stars in the House in September:

CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND REUNION!!   We are welcoming back the cast with Rachel Bloom, Skylar Astin, Kat Burns, Donna Lynne Champlin, Peter Gardner, David Hull, Erick Lopez, Vella Lovell, Michael McMillan, Clark Moore, Burl Moseley, Esther Povitsky, Vincent Rodriguez III and Gabrielle Ruiz!! 

• Love 1

Some song from the show popped up on Youtube, then I watched about 30 more and now I'm done re-watching the first two seasons and holy crap, I did NOT grasp the brilliance of the season 2 finale at the time. Sure, Rebecca's interactions with the Westchester Sperm Machine always read uncomfortable, but I don't think I've realized before that they're recreations of her interactions with Josh. First it was the text message. This is Rebecca's message to Josh when she moves to West Covina:

tumblr_okubtfGoWL1qi0ke6o1_500.jpg

Even the writing process is the same. Then, there are the chords of Love Kernels playing when she goes bananas after Silas actually shows up to the rehearsal dinner. End then, as the final nail in the coffin, when the dance instructor mistakes her and Silas for a couple she recreates the scene when Dr Phil confused her and Josh for a couple.

Transcript of the scene with Dr Phil, 01x07 - I'm So Happy That Josh Is So Happy!:

You guys make a really cute couple.

Oh. That's so funny. We're not a couple. No, no, no. We're just friends. That's so funny. He thinks we're a couple. That's so funny. We're not a couple. He thinks we're a couple. That's so funny, but we're not a couple. He thinks we're a couple.

Transcript of the scene with the dance instructor, 2x13 Can Josh Take a Leap of Faith?:

You two are such a handsome couple.

Oh! Oh, my God. He thinks we're a couple. That's so funny. We're not a couple. But he thinks we're a couple. We're not a couple. But that's so funny. He thinks we're a couple! We're not a couple. But he thinks we're a couple.

Ho. Ly. Shit. I'm left mouth agape.

This is it, this is the explanation of her Josh Chan obsession laid bare and I missed it so completely the last time round.

• Love 8

Stars in the House did an 11 hour telethon on Saturday to raise money for the International Rescue Committee's efforts in Ukraine. The whole thing is wonderful, but I thought you might be interested to see Rachel Bloom reading donations at the 1 hour and 12 minute mark. But more importantly, to watch Santino Fontana and Daivd Hull (White Josh) sing "Love Is An Open Door" together at the 7 hour and 57 minute mark. Donna Lynne Champlin is there as well.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I've been rewatching the show--so great to see those season 1 episodes again. On "I'm Going to the Beach with Josh and His Friends!", I was surprised to see D'Arcy Carden (Janet from The Good Place) pop up, in a total extra role! She's "this girl should pluck her eybrows" in "Women Gotta Stick Together." I love catching before-they-were-famous moments.

18817892_DArcyCarden1.thumb.jpg.342580cf60ea0a8bc481116e65e872f0.jpg1259073125_DArcyCarden2.thumb.jpg.4a65660bbcd535a9cc9c5596244dfbb5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Another discovery I made while rewatching, from season 4, episode 13 ("I Have to Get Out.") During "Anti-Depressants are So Not a Big Deal," one of the people in the ensemble is Josh's sister Jayma, the one who got married in season 1! We first see her near the start--Right after "the movers, the shakers," she and her husband come out (with a baby) singing, "The happy homemakers." And then she's present through the rest of the number.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 413.jpg

• Like 4

CEG Ranked #1 on TVLine's list of musical TV shows:

https://tvline.com/lists/musical-tv-shows-ranked-best-worst/crazy-ex-girlfriend/

CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND

The CW’s colorfully quirky musical rom-com took us inside the mind of Rebecca Bunch, a truly hopeless romantic who ditched her life to move across the country and pursue her childhood camp crush. That pursuit was accompanied by an explosion of elaborate musical numbers that ranged from doo-w** to hip-hop and everything in between. The original songs were a marvel of creativity and damn funny to boot, helping to illustrate Rebecca’s inner struggles and putting a happy face on some very dark material. This show was so wonderfully weird, we’re honestly amazed it ran for four seasons on a broadcast network… but we’re so glad it did.

• Like 1
  • Love 5