Type keyword(s) to search

The Big Bang Theory - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/18/2019 at 8:25 PM, Homily said:

I'd take the card catalogue!

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I'd fight you for it!

And while you two are fighting I'll sneak out with it! It will be easy now that the elevator is working...

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, wknt3 said:
On May 18, 2019 at 7:25 PM, Homily said:

I'd take the card catalogue!

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'd fight you for it!

And while you two are fighting I'll sneak out with it! It will be easy now that the elevator is working...

Oh yeah? You and what army? Elevator, schmelevator. </retired librarian rant>

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/21/2019 at 11:52 AM, PentaHookUp said:

"In my spot."

It just popped out one day when a co-worker pilfered “my” parking spot. 

Now, I used it all the time.

I just used that the other day, commenting on a video of a cat darting across a room to steal a chair out from under the person who was about to sit in it. 

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:21 PM, SpiritSong said:

Since we can talk about the sets here, I have a question for y'all. If you could take one item from the BBT sets, which would it be? I've always coveted Raj's UFO lamp.

Amy's harp?  I don't know how to play it, but it would be kind of cool to just have a harp hanging out in my apartment.

• Love 4
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:31 PM, Driad said:

What BBT lines etc. appear in your real life?  Example from my family: "Is your wifi password still pennyisafreeloader?"

"I informed you thusly. I so informed you thusly."

'I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested."

and "Hugh people need to listen to me."

• Love 2

I loved the pilot episode. But during the second episode- The Big Bran Hypothesis- the boys had a discussion about the physics of Superman- and I was hooked. A few of my college friends had THAT exact discussion. And I knew this was a show about my people. My husband is brilliant- he is a cross between Sheldon and Leonard. Not quite a clueless as Sheldon- most of the time, but occasionally, yeah. He is not as into the nerd culture. But what he loves- he loves. He does complicated math to keep himself awake while driving. I sing Neil Diamond- like normal people.

I do agree that I wish the women had been more Nerd Culture about a few of the things. At times, it almost seemed like they weren't even as excited about science as they should have been. I love that Amy was into Little House. But Penny and Bernadette should have been into something at least. I guess with Penny it was wine and shoes. 

And here's kind of a tangent. But Revenge of the Nerds was on last week. And I watched. As I watched, I thought- you know the REAL Revenge of the Nerds is now. I mean think about it. The "Cool" things now are computers, superhero movies, TBBT is the biggest comedy on air, even Forged in Fire did a "make up a sci-fi knife" episode, I just kind of like it. 

• Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:21 PM, SpiritSong said:

Since we can talk about the sets here, I have a question for y'all. If you could take one item from the BBT sets, which would it be? I've always coveted Raj's UFO lamp.

Cinnamon. Wait- she isn't a prop. Dibs on Amy's Tiara, and if I can't have that, then the Bernadette Action Figure. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bali said:

Cinnamon. Wait- she isn't a prop. Dibs on Amy's Tiara, and if I can't have that, then the Bernadette Action Figure. 

OMG, how could I forget the tiara?! I've been telling everyone I'm a Princess since I could talk, lol.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, jewel21 said:

OMG, how could I forget the tiara?! I've been telling everyone I'm a Princess since I could talk, lol.

Sorry. I called Dibs. 😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

From the annals of divergent opinions: This year's (2018-2019) Primetimer Awards.
The Readers under Favourite Comedy Show picked The Big Bang Theory as Runner-up for Favourite Comedy Show.

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/94566-and-the-2019-winners-are/?tab=comments#comment-5395122
The Moderators under Worst Show on the Air picked The Big Bang Theory as Runner-up.

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/94583-the-mod-2019-primetimer-awards-winners-are/?tab=comments#comment-5396314

Overshooting in both directions, if you ask me.  Big Bang Theory was never a great comedy, even at its peak, and certainly not in the final season.

But it wasn't THAT BAD either.  A competent, if uninspired, show.

There’s really not much stock to be put into the regular polls vs the mod results. The regular votes were several hundred vs voting results of only a dozen mods. The percentages swing a lot wider with a smaller voting sample size.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Has anyone else played the Big Bang Theory version of "Clue"?  The rooms are in S&L's and Penny's apartments, and the suspects are the main characters except Sheldon.  Instead of a murder, the mystery is who did what nasty thing to Sheldon: stain his couch cushion, erase his whiteboard, etc.  So instead of weapons there are a little couch, whiteboard, etc.  It is slightly more fun than regular "Clue."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I have not but now I desperately want to, lol. 

I miss this show, I've been recording some of the episodes the past few weeks. It's a great show to have on in the background while you're doing other stuff. 

Recently I've seen the episode where the gang forces Sheldon to learn how to drive. Sheldon shrieking on the back of Howard's scooter continues to make me cackle every single time. And when he 'drives' into the pet store, Leonard's response kills me. It's all in the delivery... "Aww, not the pet store."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I have not but now I desperately want to, lol. 

I miss this show, I've been recording some of the episodes the past few weeks. It's a great show to have on in the background while you're doing other stuff. 

Recently I've seen the episode where the gang forces Sheldon to learn how to drive. Sheldon shrieking on the back of Howard's scooter continues to make me cackle every single time. And when he 'drives' into the pet store, Leonard's response kills me. It's all in the delivery... "Aww, not the pet store."

Whenever I need a good laugh i watch that scene on YouTube 

• Love 2
(edited)

I know in real life girls are just as involved in nerd culture as guys are, sometimes more so, BBT had spent years immersing the guys in nerd culture I am sure the show wanted to go another way with Bernadette and Amy.  Plus it would have been repetitive if they all went to the comic book store.   It’s more likely the show wanted the girls to hang out with Penny and yet have a lot in common with the guys so they went middle of the road writing them.

Besides the episode where the girls tried to figure out comic books was hilarious and when the guys stood at the door listening to them fight about Thor’s hammer still makes me chuckle.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
(edited)

What I sometimes found annoying was what is considered nerd culture on BBT.  Mostly I think they got it right but every now and then it seemed to me that they confused nerd culture with popular culture.  The Simpsons, Game of Thrones and Buffy the Vampire Slayer are the first examples that come to mind.  I guess the key difference with the guys is that they are obsessive fans - when they like something the LIKE it to infinity and beyond.  But still it often struck me as odd that they would act as if watching very popular movies/TV shows was somehow nerdy.  If that's the case what isn't nerdy?

Edited by Homily
  • Love 6
On 7/24/2019 at 4:40 PM, Homily said:

What I sometimes found annoying was what is considered nerd culture on BBT.  Mostly I think they got it right but every now and then it seemed to me that they confused nerd culture with popular culture.  The Simpsons, Game of Thrones and Buffy the Vampire Slayer are the first examples that come to mind.  I guess the key difference with the guys is that they are obsessive fans - when they like something the LIKE it to infinity and beyond.  But still it often struck me as odd that they would act as if watching very popular movies/TV shows was somehow nerdy.  If that's the case what isn't nerdy?

Well Raj really liked the Good Wife which was often a source of jest.  But that is a popular show.  So just because something is popular like sports which only Sheldon understood doesn’t mean the guys liked it.   I think the more apt term for the guys would be  sci-fi geeks.  

• Love 1
On 7/24/2019 at 4:40 PM, Homily said:

I don't think they were confusing nerd culture with pop culture, but often chose areas of overlap that their broader audience knew in order to avoid having to spend time on exposition since they didn't have enough time to tell stories as it was and because there is more resonance with the audience. And as you've pointed out it's not the liking of a particular show/movie/multimedia franchise that makes them nerds it's the way they relate to it. I think just about every viewer can relate to the divide between those who watch something because it's fun and like it and those who obsess over it, the differences between different versions of the story, buy all the related merchandise, overanalyze it on the internet, etc. I think it is fair to say that over the course of the series they did move away from the areas of nerd culture that haven't taken over pop culture (such as RPGs or the Alphas story) but I don't think that was due to a lack of understanding as much as it was a general decline in the writing away from the original premise towards becoming a show about relationships.

• Love 2

I've been doing a rewatch and just finished season three and almost done with season four. I have been laughing out loud with every episode.  I think three and four might have been the funniest. Bringing in Bernadette and Amy added a different level to the show and it really made it funnier.  It gave the guys different characters to play off.

• Love 4

There has been discussion here before about how old Sheldon was when he moved to California with me taking the POV that he had to be at least 18.  Tonight they reran the BBT episode where Tam comes to Caltech and at one point the guys clearly say that they have not seen each other in 20 years.  I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things but I feel good knowing that Mary and George were not sending Sheldon off to California at 14 😊.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Homily said:

know it's not important in the grand scheme of things but I feel good knowing that Mary and George were not sending Sheldon off to California at 14

I think he was in Germany at 14 or 15.

40 minutes ago, Homily said:

I feel good knowing that Mary and George were not sending Sheldon off to California at 14

Although they must have wanted to, sometimes.  

I sometimes mix up Sheldon's backstory with that of Charlie on Numb3rs.  IIRC, Charlie went away to college quite young.  His mother went with him, and his father and older brother stayed home.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I think he was in Germany at 14 or 15.

The summer is was 15 according to Pancake Batter Anomaly. 

2 hours ago, Homily said:

There has been discussion here before about how old Sheldon was when he moved to California with me taking the POV that he had to be at least 18.  Tonight they reran the BBT episode where Tam comes to Caltech and at one point the guys clearly say that they have not seen each other in 20 years.  I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things but I feel good knowing that Mary and George were not sending Sheldon off to California at 14 😊.

They’ve never stated when he moved to California but have repeatedly confirmed that he was out of the house by the time he is 14 and his father dies. 

Edited by Guest
5 hours ago, Dani said:

They’ve never stated when he moved to California but have repeatedly confirmed that he was out of the house by the time he is 14 and his father dies. 

Yeah, but I think Sheldon was still fairly local. Like his undergrad stuff was in a nearby city. Houston or Dallas, maybe. For all the shit Sheldon liked to dish out about his friends' alma maters, the writers never said what Sheldon's was.

13 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Yeah, but I think Sheldon was still fairly local. Like his undergrad stuff was in a nearby city. Houston or Dallas, maybe. For all the shit Sheldon liked to dish out about his friends' alma maters, the writers never said what Sheldon's was.

Probably for his undergrad but they’ve been consistent that Sheldon completed his undergrad at 14 and is not around after George dies. It surprised me when they stuck to that and his time in Germany in the episode when Sheldon reconciles with his brother. I was expecting them to retcon it to give Young Sheldon more wiggle room. 

4 hours ago, Dani said:

Probably for his undergrad but they’ve been consistent that Sheldon completed his undergrad at 14 and is not around after George dies.

They also say on more than one occasion that Sheldon has two PhDs so it's plausible that his initial three degrees were all taken at universities within a reasonable commuting distance of home.  Where I would expect he was boarding in a private home or living with Meemaw or his his mother - definitely not living on campus or in an apartment on his own!

1 minute ago, kariyaki said:

Sheldon wasn't there as a student and it always sounded to me like he was only there for a few weeks.

This episode contradicts that George dies when Sheldon is 14 and also leads us to believe that Sheldon could actually teach - although maybe teaching in another language (or in English but to students who's first language isn't English) was easier for him.

What languages does Sheldon speak or read?  He said in BBT that he learned Hindi at age 9 (this has not been mentioned in YS), and in BBT he tried to learn Mandarin, rather unsuccessfully.  In the Science Bowl episode he said his Spanish was not good ("This is either her son or her butcher.")  I don't recall German or other languages.

Howard has several languages.

6 hours ago, Dani said:

Probably for his undergrad but they’ve been consistent that Sheldon completed his undergrad at 14 and is not around after George dies.

When exactly does his dad die? In the first season when Missy came to visit they said it was because Sheldon had to sign papers regarding their dad's estate.

4 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

When exactly does his dad die? In the first season when Missy came to visit they said it was because Sheldon had to sign papers regarding their dad's estate.

The first few years of BBT I don't think they nailed it down.  Depended on the episode.  It's later that they decided to make Sheldon 14 and stuck with it.  And later that they made the marriage of George and Mary a typical Chuck Lorre marriage - one full of hate and infidelity!

Edited by Homily

There could've been any number of reasons that Sheldon needed to sign something so many years after his dad had died. First thing that comes to my head is that George's will left the house to Mary AND the children, so if she sold it, once they were adults, she'd need all three of them to sign off on it.

3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

There could've been any number of reasons that Sheldon needed to sign something so many years after his dad had died. First thing that comes to my head is that George's will left the house to Mary AND the children, so if she sold it, once they were adults, she'd need all three of them to sign off on it.

There also could have been bonds that matured.  Stocks that they were going to sell.  Or a trust fund that they get full access to at x age (although that one's pretty doubtful).

• Love 1

I actually feel the exact opposite. As the new fall season is about to commence, I feel myself really sad that there will be no new season. In fact, I've been recording all the repeats and watching them every night this summer. 

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I actually feel the exact opposite. As the new fall season is about to commence, I feel myself really sad that there will be no new season. In fact, I've been recording all the repeats and watching them every night this summer. 

OMG, I’ve been doing that too! I let them build up and a night like tonight, when my baseball team isn’t playing and I have no game to watch, is when I burn through the backlog. 

I will miss not having it on the schedule this year. It was a staple for 12 years and its absence leaves a big hole. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

OMG, I’ve been doing that too! I let them build up and a night like tonight, when my baseball team isn’t playing and I have no game to watch, is when I burn through the backlog. 

I will miss not having it on the schedule this year. It was a staple for 12 years and its absence leaves a big hole. 

Absolutely. It also feels weird to have "Young Sheldon" premiering soon without it being accompanied by BBT. I feel like my whole world is turned upside down, lol. 

• Love 2

I was thinking over the history of the show and I realized many of my favorite moments involve Howard.  Almost any scene where's he interacting with his mom, when Bernadette tells him she is pregnant with their first child,  realizing he and Amy have a shared love of Neil Diamond, the letter from his father, and my all-time favorite line of the series, "I ate a butterfly."

• Love 6