Type keyword(s) to search

Castle - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

I just caught the second half of S08.E17 "Death Wish" in which:

The murder of a man connected to smuggling Turkish relics sends Castle, Beckett and the 12th Precinct on a search for a stolen antique believed to be Aladdin’s lamp, in hopes that it can lead them to the killer.

(see also vaulted episode discussion here).

It was charming in a lot of ways and would definitely go on my list of Castle Episodes Worth Re-Watching

Any others?

My favorite episodes include One Life to Lose, The Final Frontier, A Rose For Everafter, and The Lives of Others (Rear Window homage) - off the top of my head. They usually did a good job with the parody/spoof episodes.  And NF/AM had such a sweet chemistry in Rose. 

For some bizarre reason my husband really likes the one where Adam Baldwin guest stars - only because it's AB, I guess. (Jayne was his favorite Firefly character.) 

Castle is up next in our re-watch queue. (Got about a week and a half of Numb3rs left.) I'll probably come up with more later on. 🙂 

• Love 3
On 6/23/2019 at 10:27 AM, tessaray said:

My favorite episodes include One Life to Lose, The Final Frontier, A Rose For Everafter, and The Lives of Others (Rear Window homage) - off the top of my head. They usually did a good job with the parody/spoof episodes.  And NF/AM had such a sweet chemistry in Rose. 

For some bizarre reason my husband really likes the one where Adam Baldwin guest stars - only because it's AB, I guess. (Jayne was his favorite Firefly character.) 

Castle is up next in our re-watch queue. (Got about a week and a half of Numb3rs left.) I'll probably come up with more later on. 🙂 

I love those three among others. I love how excited Beckett is about Nebula 9 and how disappointed she is that Castle hates it. All the different Sci-fi costumes and the fake out of them showing up at the building with all the lasers on them and its turns out to be a guy who makes blasters. I used to love soaps and love watching One Life to Lose seeing Ryan and Greenelee! How upset Lainie was about her favorite character was killed off (been there Lainie!). I always loved that the show casted so many soap actors and actresses during the eight years. I loved the Loves of Others the first time and love that Beckett set it up for Rick because he was bored. It a was really fun episode and really sweet of Beckett.   

On 6/25/2019 at 2:26 PM, tessaray said:

Oh, and any episode with a mystery writer poker game is always a plus IMO.  I loved that the show got those guys.

I love when ever those guys show up I loved Castle talking about cases with the writers and getting advice from them. They almost always gave really good advice. I really liked the one with Castle and Beckett discussing their case with the Mayor and the Judge   

• Love 5
11 hours ago, tessaray said:

Another reason I like One Life to Lose is Susan Sullivan gets to shine. (Long time soap fan myself.) 

I always love then Martha/Susan Sullivan got to do more. She's a fantastic actress and a really fun character. 

• Love 3

I'm surprised nobody mentioned The Blue Butterfly (Season 4, Episode 14).  The filming and all the characters acting in a different time period was incredible.

There's really too many to list.  I like the Los Angeles episode and the one where that time traveling guy was a murder suspect.  Pretty much anything from the fifth season after Beckett and Castle officially became a couple.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Utpe said:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned The Blue Butterfly (Season 4, Episode 14).  The filming and all the characters acting in a different time period was incredible.

There's really too many to list.  I like the Los Angeles episode and the one where that time traveling guy was a murder suspect.  Pretty much anything from the fifth season after Beckett and Castle officially became a couple.

That was a great episode. There really are so many great episodes throughout the series. I do like in the early episodes Castle starting to realize the reality of murders like in the second episode asking if Beckett really had to call the victim's parents and tell them or in the robbery episode wondering how many people in nice parts of town get murdered. I like that Ryan always has a copy of Castle's books in the early seasons. Or Castle realizing the importance of the bunny in Lost Girl because he had a daughter. Castle wanting to scare Alexis's prom date I almost wish we had gotten to see it. There were so many great episodes Inventing the Girl, Fool Me Once, When the Bough Breaks, Vampire Weekend, Kill the Messenger, Famous Last Words, One Man's Treasure, Kill Me Dead, Love Me Dead, the Fifth Bullet, A Rose Forever After, Tick, Tick, Tick, Boom, Wrapped Up in Death, the Late Shaft, Food to Die For, Overkill and A Deadly Game and that's just season two! I love Castle bumping into Alexis's old babysitter and learning that kills any interested he had in her, helping the amnesia Jay, the fiancée being fake in One Man's Treasure, feeling guilty when a psycho goes after Beckett because of Nikki Heat, finding a woman dead in the sewer leading to a baby switch and the surprise that the other mother didn't know anything about it. I love watching Castle and Beckett working together and all four of them working together. The banter, betting and fun. 

• Love 4

We just watched "When the Bough Breaks" last night. Such a  creepy, cowardly husband switching out his own doomed child for someone else's healthy baby. And it was nice to see Beckett acknowledge Castle's contribution - even if it was only because she assumed he was going off to write Bond novels.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

We just watched "When the Bough Breaks" last night. Such a  creepy, cowardly husband switching out his own doomed child for someone else's healthy baby. And it was nice to see Beckett acknowledge Castle's contribution - even if it was only because she assumed he was going off to write Bond novels.  

It was so creepy. It was his son. His own flesh and blood and he had no problem switching him with someone else's son and raising him. Zero remorse and even at the end he has zero signs that he cared at all for that baby. That's just so....cold. I know he claimed he didn't want his wife to go through it. But its hard to believe that was the reason since he could so easily switch his son with someone else's and go on his merry way. And so coldly murder his mother. I like that Beckett acknowledge Castle's contribution and also the mother's Eliska's who had been the first to figure out the babies were switched. I liked that his wife Melissa turned out to be a really nice woman and didn't know what she was suppose to do after finding out she was raising someone else's son. That she invited Eliska's husband to meet Zane and asked him about her baby that died. I love the B storyline of Castle so excited to be offered to write 3 James Bond books given how much Castle loved him and that's what got him interested in writing. Hearing how good Nikki Heat had done. Becket assuming Castle was going to write James Bond books and being mad about that and at the end telling him he would do a great job. The launch party. I really loved all the various stories with Castle's books, writing, and stuff. It was really fun. 

• Love 2

Last night I caught 4.5 "Eye of the Beholder" in which a "sexy insurance investigator" (Kristin Lehman) who is also a former(?) art thief  "helps" Castle and Beckett with a murder and theft of a valuable sculpture.

I loved the end because of the way the the women respectfully, generously, and peacefully resolved their unspoken competition for Castle's affections -- even if it did objectify him a bit:

[SERENA TO BECKETT]: I want to thank you. I couldn't have done this without you. I'm really grateful.
[BECKETT]: So does that mean you're cutting me in on the finder's fee? 
[SERENA]: I'm not that grateful.
[BECKETT]: Well, I, uh think we all ended up with what we wanted.
[SERENA]: Yeah.
[BECKETT]: Um, you know after you and Castle went on that date
[SERENA]: -- More like a sting.
[BECKETT]: -- He never thought that you were involved.
[SERENA]: Oh.
[BECKETT]: He believed in you, even when I didn't.
Why are you telling me this? 
[BECKETT]: I just--I, I think that you should know what kind of person you're dealing with.
[CASTLE]: Here we are, ladies.
Thank you.
Thank you.
[CASTLE]: Anything wrong? 
[BECKETT]: Uh, no. I should-- I'm just gonna go and file some stuff.
[SERENA]: Uh, and I'm--I'm going back to my hotel. I would ask you to come, but it's like I said, I don't steal things that belong to someone else. [SERENA EXITS]

[BECKETT TO CASTLE]: You guys didn't go out? 
[CASTLE]: No.
[BECKETT]: Why? 
[CASTLE]: Because I can't afford it. The museum just slapped me with a bill for that exhibit I broke.
[BECKETT]: Whoa.
[CASTLE]: I know. You'd think they cut me slack after the whole "helping to solve the murder" thing.
[BECKETT]: I guess the least the NYPD could do is take you out for a hamburger.
[CASTLE]: I accept.
[BECKETT]: Let's go.

See a full recap of this (and other episodes) at castle.fandom.com

• Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Last night I caught 4.5 "Eye of the Beholder" in which a "sexy insurance investigator" (Kristin Lehman) who is also a former(?) art thief  "helps" Castle and Beckett with a murder and theft of a valuable sculpture.

I loved the end because of the way the the women respectfully, generously, and peacefully resolved their unspoken competition for Castle's affections -- even if it did objectify him a bit:

[SERENA TO BECKETT]: I want to thank you. I couldn't have done this without you. I'm really grateful.
[BECKETT]: So does that mean you're cutting me in on the finder's fee? 
[SERENA]: I'm not that grateful.
[BECKETT]: Well, I, uh think we all ended up with what we wanted.
[SERENA]: Yeah.
[BECKETT]: Um, you know after you and Castle went on that date
[SERENA]: -- More like a sting.
[BECKETT]: -- He never thought that you were involved.
[SERENA]: Oh.
[BECKETT]: He believed in you, even when I didn't.
Why are you telling me this? 
[BECKETT]: I just--I, I think that you should know what kind of person you're dealing with.
[CASTLE]: Here we are, ladies.
Thank you.
Thank you.
[CASTLE]: Anything wrong? 
[BECKETT]: Uh, no. I should-- I'm just gonna go and file some stuff.
[SERENA]: Uh, and I'm--I'm going back to my hotel. I would ask you to come, but it's like I said, I don't steal things that belong to someone else. [SERENA EXITS]

[BECKETT TO CASTLE]: You guys didn't go out? 
[CASTLE]: No.
[BECKETT]: Why? 
[CASTLE]: Because I can't afford it. The museum just slapped me with a bill for that exhibit I broke.
[BECKETT]: Whoa.
[CASTLE]: I know. You'd think they cut me slack after the whole "helping to solve the murder" thing.
[BECKETT]: I guess the least the NYPD could do is take you out for a hamburger.
[CASTLE]: I accept.
[BECKETT]: Let's go.

See a full recap of this (and other episodes) at castle.fandom.com

That was a great scene. I really liked Serena in the episode. She was interesting and fun. I liked after all their twists and turns from looking for Falcone and thinking he was hired by the woman's soon to be ex-husband and turned out he had been hired by the victim. Ryan and Esposito teasing Castle that if Serena really is the killer he knows how to pick him. Martha trying to fix Castle up with a girl in her class and then with Serena. Castle thinking she's be a great character and then really liking Serena. That the murder ended up being the soon to be ex-wife trying to screw her husband out the art piece that he didn't even want. But that last scene is the best Beckett trying to assure Serena that Castle had been on her side and never once believed she was the murder. Even though she loves Castle it was really nice to see her saying that to someone he seemed interested in. I really like that Serena declining asking Castle out with her remark of she doesn't steal something that belongs to someone else. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1

I love when we get to see Castle as a good dad. From comforting Alexis in the Hayley Blue episode and doing the right thing by calling Paige's parents in Vampire Weekend after Paige had too much to drink at the senior party. As much as I like Castle telling the dad in that episode to tell his daughter the truth. I wonder how poor Rosie handles learning her mother murdered her dad's first wife so she could be with him and then murdered her brother because he found out the truth. That's so going to be hard for anyone to deal with let alone someone Rosie's age.

I love Jessup from Love Me Dead. He was so funny and he got along so well with Castle. I wish we saw him again. I laugh every time Becket makes that remark when Jessup says he wants to be a locksmith. He did end up helping with the case I wonder if Beckett ever did agree to vouch for him. If not I'm sure Castle did. 

I do like Castle reminding people in Kill the Messenger that Olivia's family. Since he had no idea at the time who his father was. Its not surprising he would. His ought rage towards the man who assaulted and killed Hayley Blue. 

• Love 1

Watching Den of Thieves Castle's teaching Alexis how to play Texas Holdem it never occurred to me until that episode that Alexis didn't know how to play. I know we never saw her but I just assumed since Martha and Castle both play poker that she did too.

The Late Shaft-I really wish Castle was more angry with Ellie Monroe. He asked her if she was sleeping with him for the role of Nikki Heat she cries and acts all hurt and outraged. Except it turned out that's exactly what she was doing. He should have been a lot more upset with her when she came to his apartment. He was way too nice and I really hope he was lying about still recommending her for the role. 

On 8/6/2019 at 8:20 AM, tessaray said:

Castle's mother and first ex-wife are actresses. He knows and understands them. I got the feeling that after the first twinge, she was mentally moved into that familiar category. 

Probably, but I still wish he was at least a little upset about it. He liked her and thought she liked him and believed her when she lied about being with him to get the role. I do love that he's apparently her favorite author but the only book she talks about is the Nikki Heat one. I know they only had a few seconds but most people who meet their favorite author would mention several of the books they like and characters. 

But I am curious but his marriages and they didn't really get into it. Did he really love Meredith or was she rebound from Kira? After Kira didn't think he could get another woman like her? Meredith seems like a flake but she also ditched Castle pretty coldly just running off with another man and sending him divorce papers and completely bailing on Alexis. Which is probably a good thing in the long run but then he marries the polar opposite Gina but from what Gina says about their marriage he keep her away from Alexis. That it was just the two of them and he always had the hero. He lets Gina be the hero for Taylor Swift tickets but he wasn't going to until pointed out he was doing the same thing he did when they were married. It almost seems like Castle married her but did everything he could to push her away. Was it because he'd already been ditched twice before? But the Alexis part could also be the only thing he really ever had. Growing up his mother was constantly busy with her career she loved him but was a single parent and theater is a busy career and didn't know who is father was. Kira left him, Meredith left him but with Alexis. The one person who didn't leave and he could keep, raise and be the two of them. And have her complete attention and love. With Gina I could see him thinking he was keeping Alexis from getting hurt just in case things didn't work out like it didn't with her mother or like the many husbands and boyfriends his mother had while he was growing up. But in doing so he made sure the marriage didn't work. It could tie into what Alexis says in season three when Martha wants to break up with Chet because the sparks are gone that maybe both he and Martha break off relationships too early which seems to be a pattern with Martha and Castle.

• Love 1

We watched Knockdown (S3 - E13, I think)  last night.   There were some good scenes (and some real heat in the pretend drunk make-out scene) but I've always disliked the Kate's mother's murder plot from here on out. 

And I'm already missing Montgomery, knowing what's coming up.  I like PJJ but it took a while. 

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, tessaray said:

We watched Knockdown (S3 - E13, I think)  last night.   There were some good scenes (and some real heat in the pretend drunk make-out scene) but I've always disliked the Kate's mother's murder plot from here on out. 

And I'm already missing Montgomery, knowing what's coming up.  I like PJJ but it took a while. 

Yeah, after that episode I really disliked Kate's mother's murder and usually skip every episode it comes up. It also ends up making zero sense. I miss Montgomery too. He was a really great guy and great captain. I really hated that they made him part of Kate's mother's murder it really felt like they threw him under the bus. It took awhile but I really ended up liking Gates too. Her and Castle bonding over the Wives of Wall Street is one of my favorite episodes. 

• Love 6

In Nikki Heat, why does Alexis keep saying how much she likes Natalie Rhodes movies and then remark 'If I had seen the movie which I hadn't'. Was she not allowed to watch those movies? Which seems weird since Castle the two seemed to watch all kinds of movies together including horror or slasher movies.

I think it's one thing when a kid watches that kind of stuff with a parent and the "adult" aspects go over their head and quite another to see it register on  dad's face when he realizes said kid gets the nuances. Which is why it was sweet of Alexis to give Castle a bit of deniability for a little longer. 

I really liked the Castle/Alexis relationship the first few seasons.  It started to get awkward after the 3rd season and then later on, Alexis was very, very  annoying. (IMO)

• Love 2
On 8/14/2019 at 4:30 PM, tessaray said:

I liked it until S5. I even was okay with the S5 premiere but I wasn't wild about any of the ones after that. (The least of all S8 but that a whole different subject 😉 )

• Love 2

For me it was season 6. There were some episodes I liked from season 5 like Secret's Safe with Me Castle being so excited to finally say "The Butler did it", Murder He Wrote, the Final Frontier, Swan Song, Under the Influnce, Death Gone Crazy, Reality Star Struck, Scared to Death, The Life of Others, The Fast and the Furious and Still. I loved seeing Becket so excited to meet the cast of her favorite sci-fi story and disappointed that Castle hated it, watching everyone "acting" for the camera crew in Swan Song including Lanie! 

Other parts I didn't like Beckett being upset when Castle says he's single on the TV interview even though it was Beckett's idea to keep it a secret and the whole date thing, the stupidity of After Hours, Beckett being upset about Meredith staying at Castle's, and I really hated Castle being all jealous in the Squad and the Quail of Beckett being Erik's bodyguard. I really, really hate when characters do that. I didn't  really like Alexis's kidnapping episode mostly due to  Castle's father stuff. I love the actor but didn't like meeting his father. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I didn't  really like Alexis's kidnapping episode mostly due to  Castle's father stuff. I love the actor but didn't like meeting his father. 

I agree with most of your post but I'm a sucker for Paris backdrop porn.  And Castle's father handing him a book once upon a time was a nice touch.  James Brolin was perfectly cast, so no complaints there.  

My eyeballs do get quite a work out in those 2 episodes though. :-) 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I liked it until S5. I even was okay with the S5 premiere but I wasn't wild about any of the ones after that. (The least of all S8 but that a whole different subject 😉 )

Haha. I've mentioned before that we have the first 5 seasons on dvd, so that's where we stop in a rewatch.  As for why, I explained to my husband what happens in the later seasons and he's fine with it. He's such a closet romantic and loves Caskett.  (Totally out of character for him, the macho western-watching old guy.)

He did see a few random scenes/episodes from later seasons and couldn't quite wrap his head around the visible changes.   

• Love 1
On 8/17/2019 at 5:28 AM, andromeda331 said:

For me it was season 6.

With the exception of a couple of episodes, I like S5 in general. I'm mostly not wild about the Beckett's mother's murder mystery after the S5 premiere.

S6 has probably more episodes which I don't like than S5 but for the most part, I like S6 as well. I think S7 also had more good episodes than bad ones. What annoys me the most about S7 is the character "assassination" that happened with Castle's disappearance and that they didn't seem to know what to do with Castle and Beckett outside the precinct when there's so much that they could have touched on.

The Life of Others,

Unfortunately, I'm really bad with titles, so I mostly don't know which episodes you're referring to but this one I know. It's not among my favorites. I think it was a really well-done tribute but I had an issue with the fact that they more or less made Castle think he's crazy. It's not the kind of prank I would appreciate.

Still.

That one I know, too, and it's one of my favorite episodes and probably the best episode of that particular style ("bottle" episode with flashbacks) that I've seen. This is how every of those episodes should be done, in my opinion.

Other parts I didn't like Beckett being upset when Castle says he's single on the TV interview even though it was Beckett's idea to keep it a secret and the whole date thing, the stupidity of After Hours, Beckett being upset about Meredith staying at Castle's, and I really hated Castle being all jealous in the Squad and the Quail of Beckett being Erik's bodyguard. I really, really hate when characters do that.

My feelings about those two episodes are the other way around. I understood why Beckett was upset about Meredith staying at the loft. Castle is a big, old softy at heart but Meredith showed up without asking and I think he really should have said no. Or, at the very least, he should have talked to Beckett before agreeing and he certainly should have put an end to whatever it was that Meredith was trying to do. Although, I do think that Beckett could have agreed to them staying at a hotel. Why say no to a couple of days of getting pampered in a nice hotel suite? (I know why she did it but still, why? :-P)

I'm not a fan of jealousy episodes to begin with (with the exception of Nicki Heat because not only was the episode so well done, it was also Beckett who got a taste of her own medicine for once) but like Beckett's displeasure with Meridith, I kind of understood Castle's jealousy. Beckett acted like a love-struck teenager right in front of her boyfriend's eyes and not like someone who was in an exclusive, mature relationship. I also don't think she had any right to get upset with Castle because not only did she allow the guy to kiss her when she was in an exclusive relationship, she also acted highly unprofessionally.

I didn't  really like Alexis's kidnapping episode mostly due to  Castle's father stuff. I love the actor but didn't like meeting his father. 

What I didn't like about it was that Castle took off without Beckett in the second part. I certainly could have lived without these episodes but there are others which I like a lot less. My favorite part of the episode(s) is that Beckett comforts Castle at the precinct and doesn't care about Gates. It's a small thing but I feel that it says so much about their relationship at this point.

• Love 2

I didn't like the jealousy of Meredith because I get why Castle said yes. For Alexis. For once Meredith had actually showed up to do some parenting to Alexis for the first time probably ever. Alexis probably never had that before and he didn't want to ruin that for her. Although he really should have talked to Alexis first seeing how she encouraged her mother to Paris. She might have been up for a plan to send her mother away sooner especially considering the season one episode with Meredith Alexis isn't really too thrilled to have her mother around and had that talk with Castle about loving her mom but not wanting her around. I do kind of wish we got a scene with Alexis telling her mother off. There was only one scene when she left for college that she ever expressed any anger towards her mother. But nothing came from it. 

What do you think about Esposito and Lanie? I liked them together during the first time they dated. Then they looked like they were going to put them back together after the hostage situation with crazy bomber only to break them up two episodes later. 

I also really liked Ryan's and Jenny's relationship.

7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I didn't like the jealousy of Meredith because I get why Castle said yes. For Alexis. For once Meredith had actually showed up to do some parenting to Alexis for the first time probably ever. Alexis probably never had that before and he didn't want to ruin that for her. Although he really should have talked to Alexis first seeing how she encouraged her mother to Paris. She might have been up for a plan to send her mother away sooner especially considering the season one episode with Meredith Alexis isn't really too thrilled to have her mother around and had that talk with Castle about loving her mom but not wanting her around. I do kind of wish we got a scene with Alexis telling her mother off. There was only one scene when she left for college that she ever expressed any anger towards her mother. But nothing came from it. 

I was never convinced that Meredith was there only for Alexis. Her reasons seemed a lot more ambiguous. Didn't she also say something along the lines of being there to check out Beckett at the end? (It's been a while since I watched Castle. Castle is one of the shows that I can't just watch one episode of, so as much as love the show, I tend to avoid a rewatch because it keeps me from doing things that need to get done 😉

I think that Castle could have let Meredith stay but he should have asked Beckett before he agreed. And Meredith definitely shouldn't have paraded around the apartment in her sleepwear and the nutmeg incident also seemed highly inappropriate. I think both was intentional on Meredith's part and meant to provoke, though. I also think that Castle should have told her to please stop doing either and that he would appreciate if Meredith respected that he was with Beckett now.

That said, as I mentioned, Beckett could have just agreed to stay at the hotel with Castle. Yes, Castle screwed up but there was nothing either one could have done about it, so why not grab the opportunity and appreciate that he's trying to make up for it?

I think the majority of the jealousy episodes weren't as black and white as they made them out to be. Usually both contributed to the situation but often times, it was only Castle who got blamed.

What do you think about Esposito and Lanie? I liked them together during the first time they dated. Then they looked like they were going to put them back together after the hostage situation with crazy bomber only to break them up two episodes later. 

Yes, I like them at the beginning but then TPTB kind of didn't seem to have a plan for them. I don't mind that they didn't become a couple at the end but I wouldn't have minded if they did.

I also really liked Ryan's and Jenny's relationship.

Me too. For the first few seasons, it felt like their relationship was foreshadowing Castle's and Beckett's relationship a bit. Too bad they didn't keep with it in later seasons, too.

• Love 3

Meredith was an easy way to add conflict and didn't bother me one way or the other.  I also didn't mind Esposito and Lanie but it was really only cute when they were trying to keep it secret.  Lanie deserved a great guy and Javi could be a jerk sometimes. 

As the show went on, I missed Lanie's friendship with Beckett - it was a nice part of the early days of the show.  It wasn't Jane and Maura level of female friendship but on network tv, I'll take anything I can get.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, tessaray said:

Meredith was an easy way to add conflict and didn't bother me one way or the other.  I also didn't mind Esposito and Lanie but it was really only cute when they were trying to keep it secret.  Lanie deserved a great guy and Javi could be a jerk sometimes. 

As the show went on, I missed Lanie's friendship with Beckett - it was a nice part of the early days of the show.  It wasn't Jane and Maura level of female friendship but on network tv, I'll take anything I can get.

I missed that part too. I always liked their friendship. They had great friendship chemistry and it was great to see them talking and hanging out and Lanie wasn't afraid to call Beckett out or try to get her to see her feelings for Castle. 

• Love 1

My Castle rewatch is currently on hold, thanks to crappy real life stuff going on. We'd made it up to the freezer episode in S3.

But speaking of Lanie and Beckett, we just caught a S1 episode on television recently - Home is Where the Heart Stops. I like Lanie critiquing Beckett's formal wear options. And that Beckett seems more like a cop, a bit awkward in the gown Castle sent. Later on, she's more sophisticated when it comes to clothes. 

• Love 1
On 8/27/2019 at 5:12 PM, tessaray said:

My Castle rewatch is currently on hold, thanks to crappy real life stuff going on. We'd made it up to the freezer episode in S3.

But speaking of Lanie and Beckett, we just caught a S1 episode on television recently - Home is Where the Heart Stops. I like Lanie critiquing Beckett's formal wear options. And that Beckett seems more like a cop, a bit awkward in the gown Castle sent. Later on, she's more sophisticated when it comes to clothes. 

Yeah, she seemed more cop then. But it makes sense she was just really focused on being a cop and not really anything else. Very closed off and shut down. You start seeing that change slowly at first but by season 3 opener she's dressing a lot more stylish. 

Andrew Marlowe and Terri Miller have a new job: As co-show runners and EPs for a "re-imagined" The Equalizer [along with the original series creator, Richard Lindheim, who is also an EP], which will star Queen Latifah and will also have former Law & Order/Law & Order: Criminal Intent actor Chris Noth among the cast, as well as Lorraine Toussaint [who also appeared in a recurring role in the early years of Law & Order, coincidentally enough!].

As it did for the original 1980s series with Edward Woodward, this new version will air on CBS.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Andrew Marlowe and Terri Miller have a new job: As co-show runners and EPs for a "re-imagined" The Equalizer [along with the original series creator, Richard Lindheim, who is also an EP], which will star Queen Latifah and will also have former Law & Order/Law & Order: Criminal Intent actor Chris Noth among the cast, as well as Lorraine Toussaint [who also appeared in a recurring role in the early years of Law & Order, coincidentally enough!].

As it did for the original 1980s series with Edward Woodward, this new version will air on CBS.

That might be interesting. I do like Noth and Queen Latifah.

• Love 1

No doubt in these trying times that TV Line probably needs more revenue, hence clickbait. Well, today, we have a new article with Stana Katic discussing her 2016 firing from Castle. So, read on and reignite those dead fan wars for $$$$!

• Love 4

Comic Con is going to be free online this year due to COVID-19 so everyone can see Nate Fillion's panel! It hasn't been assigned an official timeslot yet so be sure to check the Comic Con website in the next week or so!

A Conversation With Nathan Fillion
The Rookie showrunner Alexi Hawley talks with Nathan Fillion about his career in film and television. With special appearances by Joss Whedon, Alan Tudyk, Gina Torres, Mekia Cox, Molly Quinn, Seamus Dever and Jon Huertas.

• Love 1

Fans here will surely remember the rivalry between Castle and Bones. So it is more than a bit ironic that, in the upcoming episode of Nathan Fillion's current show, The Rookie, that Emily Deschanel will be playing Fillion's character's ex-wife and mother of his grown son.

The episode will air on May 2nd.

• Love 2

I remember 'The Mentalist' in that rivalry mix as well, and the only one I went with till series finale. 'Castle' and 'Bones', I stopped watching after Castle/Beckett and Booth/Bones got together. I don't watch 'The Rookie', but I'll be watching Emily, for sure!

• Love 1

I've been watching the first season on Lifetime, apparently it's a marathon on Tuesday, at least until they start the Christmas movies in a couple of weeks, through the beginning of the year.      I love the mystery writers' poker game, and Susan Sullivan is so much fun.       Howver, I remember the stories about the two leads not talking or even wanting to associate off the camera, and that's sad.  

• Love 2

The poker games were some of my favorite moments.  The show went on too long and in some weird directions but when it was good, it was really special. 

Also, I will still buy the hard cover, full price bts tell-all if someone in the know ever writes one. 🙂

• Love 3
6 hours ago, tessaray said:

The poker games were some of my favorite moments.  The show went on too long and in some weird directions but when it was good, it was really special. 

I caught four episodes of the rerun (they started with S1E7 after midnight, for whatever reason) and yeah, it was such a good show! I still love how they used Alexis to show that different side of Castle and that it sometimes helps him solve cases because it gives him a very different perspective. I also like how it shows that an officer can be as good as they can be, sometimes, it's the perspective of a private citizen that is needed to solve a case.

And boy, what a character Martha was! (They all were great, fleshed-out characters which is one of the things I loved about this show but she was something else).

6 hours ago, tessaray said:

Also, I will still buy the hard cover, full price bts tell-all if someone in the know ever writes one. 🙂

Some days I wonder if it would live up to the hype or if some of it was hyped for the attention. It's Hollywood after all.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Some days I wonder if it would live up to the hype or if some of it was hyped for the attention. It's Hollywood after all.

There was definitely something wrong between the leads - you could see it onscreen in later seasons. Of course, the explanation probably wouldn't fill a chapter much less a whole book. But I'd still like to know. 

There have been many costars who couldn't stand each other but it never showed onscreen. I find that fascinating too, for some reason.