Type keyword(s) to search

Year Of The Rabbit - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Set in the dark heart of Victorian London, Detective Inspector Rabbit (Matt Berry) is a hardened booze-hound who's seen it all. Rabbit's been chasing bad guys for as long as he can remember, but these days his heart keeps stopping at inopportune moments.

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 10:21 PM, SilverStormm said:

I've watched the first two episodes and so far my verdict is; 'fucking hilarious!'.

How have you watched the second episode if it doesn’t air until June 17th?

Edited by edlask
5 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

All six episodes are available on Sky or NowTV. And I've now watched them all. 

Thanks. I don't have access to those so I'll have to wait.

The cast is excellent. The Brickman killer was a clever bit of writing. There are some very funny lines, many that you can easily miss, it goes at such a fast pace. The episodes are probably worth a rewatch. "A bit of fun for the kids," just after Mabel recites the horror of the Brickman tradition. 🤣

(edited)
On 6/18/2019 at 8:37 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved the illustration of the new Brickman ad. This show really cracks me up!

An edgier rebrand. 😁And a public relations disaster. No kidding. 

Edited by PippiLongstockng
  • LOL 1

This show is so delightful. I enjoyed this week's plot, but I especially loved Joseph training Strauss how to sound more cockney and less posh. I'm still trying to figure out how a guy with mutton chops would make a more convincing girl gang member than Mabel.

• Love 1
On 6/25/2019 at 3:34 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This show is so delightful. I enjoyed this week's plot, but I especially loved Joseph training Strauss how to sound more cockney and less posh. I'm still trying to figure out how a guy with mutton chops would make a more convincing girl gang member than Mabel.

He was desperately trying to tuck it in yet not a consideration to shaving off the mutton chops. 

I love Joseph. He’s so camp. Teaching  Strauss to be cockney, walk and all. 😄 Their scenes were the highlight of the episode. 

• Love 1

Interesting BTS bit for y'all:  Rabbit's truncheon (the Hero version, aka the "normal" one and not the one used for stuntwork) was designed and built by Adam Savage.  And Adam being Adam, he recorded the process and put it on his YouTube channel.

I hadn't heard of this show before seeing this prop-making video, but now I'm going to have to look for it.

• Love 3
(edited)

Neil Fromage: Immigrants infest this city, they do!
Mabel: Could be rats, could be fleas. My money's on cancer.
Neil Fromage: Like a cancer! And if they take over, you can be sure of one thing.
Strauss: Far better restaurants?

Strauss: Is it just me who finds crime against grammar almost as bad as crimes against Londoners?

Trigger Tom's letter: Who knows what I will do next? But you can bet it will be BO - bloody 'orrendous.

Rabbit: I'm nodding like I know what a Balkan is.

Prince Hector: Three officers to guard me? Take the day off, all of you. There is no danger for I am very popular. In my country, there is a word for me: kikbarba. It means "sexy man who gives out carrots at Christmas."

Prince Hector: I support women's rights and those of animals. I believe you both have a function.

Prince Hector: I would like to see a real cockney. I've only seen them in captivity in Australia.

Prince Hector: This is great! It stinks like shit and the people are very ugly. Your whisky is piss! Worst I ever tasted!

Prince Hector: Now let us paint the town red like my balls!

Prince Hector: How dare you kill two of my men without my permission?

Rabbit: Not many snipers as good as you.
Flora: Not since I shot them all.

Flora: I hate kidnaps. You've gotta feed them, empty their turd bucket, they fall in love with you. It's too much work.

Mabel: How can I be useless and a threat to men at the same time? It makes no sense.

Strauss: Pleasant journey, I hope?
Princess Juliana: Awful. I paid extra to have a private bathroom, only to find the Queen of Belgium sat proudly upon my bidet douche wash.

Princess Juliana: Would you like me to take it up with Queen Victoria? I am both her granddaughter and her great aunt.

Princess Juliana: You know, we have a saying in my country: "You cannot make an omelette without squeezing the eggs out of the chicken's pussy." 
Rabbit: You just made that up. 
Princess Juliana: Yes.

Strauss: Cup of tea, your highness. I put in twenty sugars for health.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I love this gang of misfits so much! I hope the cast has as much fun making the show as I do watching it. I cracked up when Mabel told everyone to get down after the shooting and added, "We've all seen a dead racist before!" I hate seeing her manipulated by that other lady though. Listen to Strauss, Mabel - you're awesome!

Even though Strauss is supposed to be the punchline, I love how unapologetically sunny he is about everything. Even when he's complaining about a criminal's bad grammar, he still sounds delighted.

Sally Phillips is a fun addition to the cast. I initially thought that Princess Juliana would only be around for this week, so it was great to see her pop up again at the end. I know her as Minna on Veep so it was fun to see her in a new but equally funny role.

(edited)

My favourite was “I would like to see a real cockney. I've only seen them in captivity in Australia.” 😄

Strauss is so incongruous in his profession with his sunny disposition and posh accent. 

Edited by PippiLongstockng

Mabel: That's the thing about Rabbit. He punches first and then forgets what the question was.

Mabel: Lydia, why do you give a dog's dangler about Rabbit? He's a high-functioning fried breakfast who's afraid of the countryside and can't spell the word Wednesday.

Lydia: Mabel, do you remember how you felt when you were made a real policewoman?
Mabel: Yeah. It was like an orgasm. If women had those.

Muttonchops: Guv, siege at the match factory. Rabbit's down there.
Wisbech: As police or perpetrator?
Muttonchops: Police, I think.
Wisbech: Always worth checking.

Mabel: I can't believe you're having an armed siege without me.
Strauss: It wasn't in the diary. More of a spontaneous thing.

Rabbit: Throw your gun out the window and let the girls out the front door.
Spidertree: They won't stop snivelling.
Rabbit: If I'm honest, there's no point killing them. Most of those girls will be dead by the end of the year of phosphorus poisoning. Personally, I blame the managers.

Mabel: He's in love again. 
Rabbit: Some people never learn. 
Strauss: It isn't that. All right, it is that. I've finally met someone and she's tender and gentle-
Rabbit: And a serial killer. 
Mabel: Like the history twat.
Rabbit: We all have our type.

Wisbech: What's he after? I don't know.
Rabbit: He hasn't said.
Wisbech: Bloody inconsiderate. If he won't say what he wants, how can I tell him he can't have it?

Strauss: "Great news! Here at Fromond and Jones Matches, only seven girls fell into a phosphorus coma last year."

Tanner: In the Sudan, this young bugler couldn't get his boot off, asked if I could help him. "All right," I said. I gave it a yank, but it was jammed hard and blow me down if his whole bleedin' leg didn't come off into my hand along with his trousers and his tunic. You see, the rot hadn't only spread up his leg, it had gone all the way up to his neck. After a brief chat, I picked up an ammunitions box and dropped it on his head. A kindness. I actually had to do it twice because I half missed the first time but the point is you now know how kind I can be.

Merrick: After just one tattoo he's mewling like a baby. "Oh, it hurts! Oh, they used a dirty needle! I have six forms of hepatitis!"

Rabbit: You have the biggest pair of balls I've ever seen.
Strauss: That is probably the nicest thing that anyone has ever said to me.

Rabbit: I'm guessing you're Hetty. I'm your replacement, so off you go.
Hetty: Oh, thank you. What you called? Can I name the baby after you?
Rabbit: My name's Rabbit. 
Hetty: Oh, fuck that!

(edited)

Mabel: This can't have been Rabbit! Okay, yeah, he's a little bit unstable, his girlfriend was hanged, and he hated Larkham, but I'm 90- all right, I'm 55% certain he didn't do it.
Strauss: And why would he paint "I am the Weaver"? He loathes handicrafts.

Mabel: I joined a society that's just for women.
Strauss: Oh, how modern. I wonder if there's a society just for men.
Mabel: Strauss, there's thousands.
Strauss: Yes, there are, thinking about it. Sorry, carry on.

Strauss: I thought we were going to have babies, collect modern furniture, and be much admired locally for being kind to the servants.
Mabel: Yeah, that's all any of us want.

Strauss: They say the lights will turn night into day. No more muggers or child raids again.
Gwen: That's my core clientele you're talking about.

Murky John: Pooches eat all sorts - half penny bits, earrings. I've had them all when I've cracked open the dog shits.

Strauss: Quitters can suck my big, fat grey dreadnought because I will not fucking have it, sir!

Mabel: Why does Tanner hate you so much? Cause it isn't just that bomb, is it?
Rabbit: Well, we were partners way back when.
Mabel: Went sour, did it?
Rabbit: No, before that we was lovers.
Mabel: Didn't see that coming.
Rabbit: Well, it can be a lonely job. I mean, the shagging was top notch. We were banging away at all angles of the clock. My arse was going up and down like a fiddler's elbow. Then I got promoted and he got the hump.

Rabbit: Flora was a career criminal with a heart of steel, and that heart of steel was made of gold, and that gold was a diamond.

Wisbech: The Vision are still at large.
Mabel: I might start an organization like theirs. Just without the, you know, shittiness and mass murder.
Wisbech: All right. But if there's even a little bit of mass murder then I'd have to step in.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
33 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Mabel: This can't have been Rabbit! Okay, yeah, he's a little bit unstable, his girlfriend was hanged, and he hated Larkham, but I'm 90- all right, I'm 55% certain he didn't do it.
Strauss: And why would he paint "I am the Weaver"? He loathes handicrafts.

Mabel: I joined a society that's just for women.
Strauss: Oh, how modern. I wonder if there's a society just for men.
Mabel: Strauss, there's thousands.
Strauss: Yes, there are, thinking about it. Sorry, carry on.

Strauss: I thought we were going to have babies, collect modern furniture, and be much admired locally for being kind to the servants.
Mabel: Yeah, that's all any of us want.

Strauss: They say the lights will turn night into day. No more muggers or child raids again.
Gwen: That's my core clientele you're talking about.

Murky John: Pooches eat all sorts - half penny bits, earrings. I've had them all when I've cracked open the dog shits.

Strauss: Quitters can suck my big, fat grey dreadnought because I will not fucking have it, sir!

Mabel: Why does Tanner hate you so much? Cause it isn't just that bomb, is it?
Rabbit: Well, we were partners way back when.
Mabel: Went sour, did it?
Rabbit: No, before that we was lovers.
Mabel: Didn't see that coming.
Rabbit: Well, it can be a lonely job. I mean, the shagging was top notch. We were banging away at all angles of the clock. My arse was going up and down like a fiddler's elbow. Then I got promoted and he got the hump.

Rabbit: Flora was a career criminal with a heart of steel, and that heart of steel was made of gold, and that gold was a diamond.

Wisbech: The Vision are still at large.
Mabel: I might start an organization like theirs. Just without the, you know, shittiness and mass murder.
Wisbech: All right. But if there's even a little bit of mass murder then I'd have to step in.

You forgot the best one. 

Rabbit “there’s something you don’t know about me”

Lydia “what’s that?”

Rabbit “I’ve got 28 pieces of dog shit in my pockets!”