Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Big Expectations

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, mochamajesty said:

Does the bread stick to the pan without butter? 

Does the bread brown this way?

So many questions......

I've never had the bread stick to the pan. It toasts and browns just fine.  I have not had a grilled cheese sandwich in quite a while. What I typically do now is slice a jumbo English Muffin, put it in the toaster oven until toasted, put a slice of cheese on top of each until it's melted and eat it open faced.

I remember going to a diner once years ago and they had open face English muffin with cheese on the menu. So I ordered it and they put butter on the muffin after toasting it and then the cheese. I had to send it back. I thought it was awful. And I like butter!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Was anyone else thinking Karine would be in bed with a man when Paul "surprised" her?  The woman dragging her kid to South Africa with her kid is just a selfish idiot. How is her poor son calling a stranger daddy.  Disturbing.    

• Love 17
13 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Last week, they showed us a video of a pretty, bikini clad Karine doing sexy moves on the internet.  I am surprise Paul was the biggest fish she could catch.  It seemed that her plan was to migrate to the US. Now, she is pregnant and stuck with this broke ex-con, whom she supposedly hates. 

Says a lot about the quality and hopelessness of life in these places.    And the ugliness of the US, producing one loser after another who sees only their own advantage in other's people's despair.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, endure said:

You could soften it in the microwave, or over some warm water or melt it and brush it on maybe try brushing on olive oil......now I want a grilled cheese🧀 

I use the regular butter on the outside method but added another step to it some months back. When it's all done I sprinkle some shredded Parmesan on one side, try to flip it over really fast so most of it stays on the bread instead of all over the frying pan, and then just wait a few seconds--it melts really fast--before doing the other side. SO good!

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

I use the regular butter on the outside method but added another step to it some months back. When it's all done I sprinkle some shredded Parmesan on one side, try to flip it over really fast so most of it stays on the bread instead of all over the frying pan, and then just wait a few seconds--it melts really fast--before doing the other side. SO good!

So you mean actual shredded parmesan cheese, not the dry stuff that comes in a jar? Sounds good.

• Love 2

When I was a kid I went to a friend's house for the day.  His mom made us lunch.  Getting meals at other kids' houses was always an iffy proposition because one thing I learned early on is that no two families eat alike and no two moms prepare food in the same way.   You never really knew what you were going to get, but that was the inherent risk of eating over at somebody else's house.

So when my friend told me we'd be having grilled cheese for lunch I breathed a deep sigh of relief.  Grilled cheese was a safe bet.  How bad could any mom mess that up, right?

I'm not sure there's an emoji yet for the expression on my face when she started making the grilled cheese in the oven.   No butter in sight, just slabs of American cheese laid without ceremony on a single slice of white bread, placed on a cookie sheet and baked until the bread hardened and the cheese melted.

Whoa, lady, this is not grilled cheese! my youthful mind screamed.

As unappealing as it was, I ate it.   It tasted like cardboard, but what could I do?  My mother had always pounded into us that no matter what your host serves, you eat it and pretend to like it because that's the polite thing to do.

It was the worst grilled cheese sandwich I ever had.

• LOL 20
  • Love 3
(edited)
13 minutes ago, millennium said:

When I was a kid I went to a friend's house for the day.  His mom made us lunch.  Getting meals at other kids' houses was always an iffy proposition because one thing I learned early on is that no two families eat alike and no two moms prepare food in the same way.   You never really knew what you were going to get, but that was the inherent risk of eating over at somebody else's house.

So when my friend told me we'd be having grilled cheese for lunch I breathed a deep sigh of relief.  Grilled cheese was a safe bet.  How bad could any mom mess that up, right?

I'm not sure there's an emoji yet for the expression on my face when she started making the grilled cheese in the oven.   No butter in sight, just slabs of American cheese laid without ceremony on a single slice of white bread, placed on a cookie sheet and baked until the bread hardened and the cheese melted.

As unappealing as it was, I ate it.   It tasted like cardboard, but what could I do?  My mother had always pounded into us that no matter what your host serves, you eat it and pretend to like it because that's the polite thing to do.

My own mother used to make grilled cheese by toasting bread, buttering it, and then putting a slice of cold American cheese in between. Ugh. When I was 13, a mom I was babysitting for showed me how to make real grilled cheese in a frying pan so that I could make the kids’ lunch. It was a revelation!!!  After I made them for my mom, she never did it the old way again.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, millennium said:

While American cheese is great. I love it with Muenster cheese. It melts great and has a mild kind of mozzarella taste. It’s also a bit oily when it melts and if you don’t want to use butter, it does give the bread that same texture that butter does.  I’m also a convert to copper chef pans and grills. A spritz of Pam or swipe of oil/butter and all’s good. No stickage at all!! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, mochamajesty said:

Yep - if he can generate this much discussion over a grilled cheese sandwich, think of what he could do with a spin-off.

I am pondering his spin on nachos now.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, mochamajesty said:

Yep - if he can generate this much discussion over a grilled cheese sandwich, think of what he could do with a spin-off.

I would watch it to see what other culinary delights he has up his sleeve.

And I have been biting my tongue, but here's how I make grilled cheese sandwiches:

White or rye bread, American cheese (white Clearfield, accept no substitutes).  Slather yellow mustard on one side of bread, then one slice of cheese, then one thin slice of fresh, ripe tomato.  Butter outside of bread and put in frying pan and smash down with spatula.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

Heaven, I tell you.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, vmcd88 said:

Was anyone else thinking Karine would be in bed with a man when Paul "surprised" her?  The woman dragging her kid to South Africa with her kid is just a selfish idiot. How is her poor son calling a stranger daddy.  Disturbing.    

I wouldn't have been surprised if there was a man in there with Karine.  Paul's nuts but him asking for a paternity test isn't that crazy considering the timeline.  I feel like it's a 50-50 chance that it was him before he left Brazil or another guy shortly after he left Brazil.  Of course, maybe in real life the time line makes more sense since the show seemed to portray the miscarriage and the second pregnancy as if they happened within two days of each other.

The woman going to South Africa should go herself, figure out if this guy is stable, discuss how they will support themselves, and then consider bringing over the kid.  As usual on this show, she is putting the cart before the horse.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, millennium said:

Wow, you had me at grilled cheese and all the way lost me at cookie sheet.  

Baked cheese sandwiches?

The best grilled cheese I've had so far has been at Mimi's cafe, as they do a five cheese grilled cheese and they do some sort of magic with their bread, which has that crispy coat and cheese somehow crisped into the bread.  So tasty!

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

So you mean actual shredded parmesan cheese, not the dry stuff that comes in a jar? Sounds good.

Yep.

1 hour ago, lucy711 said:

I wouldn't have been surprised if there was a man in there with Karine.  Paul's nuts but him asking for a paternity test isn't that crazy considering the timeline.  I feel like it's a 50-50 chance that it was him before he left Brazil or another guy shortly after he left Brazil.  Of course, maybe in real life the time line makes more sense since the show seemed to portray the miscarriage and the second pregnancy as if they happened within two days of each other.

The woman going to South Africa should go herself, figure out if this guy is stable, discuss how they will support themselves, and then consider bringing over the kid.  As usual on this show, she is putting the cart before the horse.

I'm almost certain that in one of the previews the promo monkeys showed a scene that suggested that she was two-timing Paul with another man? Of course, in the episode we learn that it's just her brother.

I can't help but wonder if Paul is somehow related to Clint from Love After Lockup. Their tantrums and irrational behavior are so similar, although at least Paul didn't choose a recently incarcerated crackhead!

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Useful 3
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

Yep.

I'm almost certain that in one of the previews the promo monkeys showed a scene that suggested that she was two-timing Paul with another man? Of course, in the episode we learn that it's just her brother.

I can't help but wonder if Paul is somehow related to Clint from Love After Lockup. Their tantrums and irrational behavior are so similar, although at least Paul didn't choose a recently incarcerated crackhead!

They both always look so dirty and gross.  They could be cousins.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Mothra said:

I would watch it to see what other culinary delights he has up his sleeve.

And I have been biting my tongue, but here's how I make grilled cheese sandwiches:

White or rye bread, American cheese (white Clearfield, accept no substitutes).  Slather yellow mustard on one side of bread, then one slice of cheese, then one thin slice of fresh, ripe tomato.  Butter outside of bread and put in frying pan and smash down with spatula.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

Heaven, I tell you.

No one puts bacon on it? And Land o Lakes American is the bomb. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, RealReality said:

Baked cheese sandwiches?

The best grilled cheese I've had so far has been at Mimi's cafe, as they do a five cheese grilled cheese and they do some sort of magic with their bread, which has that crispy coat and cheese somehow crisped into the bread.  So tasty!

In school we had that baked open face cheese thing but they added a dollop of tomato sauce in the center and called it “pizza” 

• LOL 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Yep.

Karine is on or using something. I know Paul has accused her of being drunk at times. 

She goes into those freak outs and I would be scared to have her around a kid. I hate to say it but she seems the type to walk away with the kid, return without it and never say what happened to it. 

Is she having it at home, or the hospital? 

Can Paul afford it?

Edited by iwasish
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Karine is on or using something. I know Paul has accused her of being drunk at times. 

She goes into those freak outs and I would be scared to have her around a kid. I hate to say it but she seems the type to walk away with the kid, return without it and never say what happened to it. 

Is she having it at home, or the hospital? 

Can Paul afford it?

I could definitely see her leaving it home alone while she went out dancing at a nightclub.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

The S Africa chick? Is there any possible way she can be from Baltimore w no accent ? She sounds Canadian . 

I do not have a Baltimore accent and I am born and raised in Baltimore, hon.

Tiffany lives in Fredrick, lots of people move there from places closer to DC or western Maryland...I am not wondering about her lack of accent I am wondering about her lack of brain cells.

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, RealReality said:

They both always look so dirty and gross.  They could be cousins.

I have a weird theory that this is why Karine now looks dirty and gross, because Pole's DNA has taken root in her body.   My mind keeps going back to Geena Davis's birthing scene in The Fly

• Useful 1
  • LOL 18
10 hours ago, iwasish said:

Land o Lakes American is the bomb.

Have you ever tasted Clearfield?  A revelation.  It doesn't taste processed.  And no slimey texture. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Melt real butter in frying pan over low heat so it doesn't start turning brown, evenly coat two slices of sourdough bread with melted butter, add lots of cheddar cheese.  Simultaneously, heat tomato soup, sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top. Cut grilled cheese into halves or quarters, dip in soup.... one of the most awesome pleasures in life.

As for Karine, I'm honestly not seeing the dirtiness in her appearance?  Her face looks puffy, for sure, and she's gained weight... both of which I sincerely hope can be attributed to being pregnant twice and probably having a more plentiful supply of (most likely less healthy) food since hooking up with Paul.  And when Paul "surprised" her in the middle of the night  she did look a bit disheveled. But otherwise, like when she was at school or out with her brother,  I paid extra attention - and actually thought she looked rather nice.  Not saying the girl isn't kinda crazy for hooking up with perhaps the creepiest asshole loser to ever be on this show, just saying I don't think she really looks dirty/gross... just a bit bloated.

And sharing the win with Ludwing was Tiffany's son.... what a freaking sweet kid!  This is kind of sad, but I was honestly surprised at how kind and sincere he and his friend were to each other when they were saying goodbye at the park.  I didn't really think kids treated each other that way anymore. Tiffany's little boy seems so emotionally vulnerable, however, that I so wanted to get in her face and ask her WTAF she's thinking, dragging him to f'ing South Africa so Mommy can hook up with some POS guy.  Of course  I've felt similarly many times about Nicole with little May. The one thing about this show I don't find amusing is watching the kids be subjected to the horrible decisions of their immature, selfish-ass parents.  Because, to be clear, I find it infinitely amusing to watch immature, selfish-ass parents suffer from their OWN horrible decisions. (-:

Edited by SabineElisabeth
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, SabineElisabeth said:

Melt real butter in frying pan over low heat so it doesn't start turning brown, evenly coat two slices of sourdough bread with melted butter, add lots of cheddar cheese.  Simultaneously, heat tomato soup, sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top. Cut grilled cheese into halves or quarters, dip in soup.... one of the most awesome pleasures in life.

As for Karine, I'm honestly not seeing the dirtiness in her appearance?  Her face looks puffy, for sure, and she's gained weight... both of which I sincerely hope can be attributed to being pregnant twice and probably having a more plentiful supply of (most likely less healthy) food since hooking up with Paul.  And when Paul "surprised" her in the middle of the night  she did look a bit disheveled. But otherwise, like when she was at school or out with her brother,  I paid extra attention - and actually thought she looked rather nice.  Not saying the girl isn't kinda crazy for hooking up with perhaps the creepiest asshole loser to ever be on this show, just saying I don't think she really looks dirty/gross... just a bit bloated.

And sharing the win with Ludwing was Tiffany's son.... what a freaking sweet kid!  This is kind of sad, but I was honestly surprised at how kind and sincere he and his friend were to each other when they were saying goodbye at the park.  I didn't really think kids treated each other that way anymore!  Tiffany's little boy seems so emotionally vulnerable, however, that I so wanted to get in her face and ask her WTAF she's thinking, dragging him to f'ing South Africa so Mommy can hook up with some POS guy.  Of course  I've felt similarly many times about Nicole with little May. The one thing about this show I don't find amusing is watching the kids be subjected to the horrible decisions of their immature, selfish-ass parents.  Because, to be clear, I find it infinitely amusing to watch immature, selfish-ass parents suffer from their OWN horrible decisions. (-:

I'm with you for all of this.  When she was at language school, I thought Karine looked really pretty.

And the young kids are completely the worst part.  Child-less idiots I'm here for all day.

• Love 9

It speaks volumes about this show that the most talked subject is a grilled cheese sandwich.  

Jenny and Sumit seem really immature to me.  Jenny is just a mess and pretty sure she’s been a mess he’s whole life.  Sumit thought bringing Jenny here and lying to his parents was a good idea in theory, but, in reality, it’s not.  He talks a big game but can’t pull the trigger.  This isn’t going to end well for Jenny.  

Angela 2.0 looks like she gained 30lbs since her last visit to Qatar.  Not that matters   Pretty sure this guy has no intentions on bedding her anyways.  Don’t know his game, but it isn’t going to end well.  

Mormon guy is being played.  Losing all your savings at your age is not tragic.  He’s young.  He’s able to recover financially.  Hopefully, he learns a lesson or two.  

Woman going to South Africa with her son is another foolish idiot.   Sad to see these kids dragged through this drama.  When her son was saying good buy to his friend, I just thought to myself that they will see each other again soon.  Daddy will mess up pretty quickly and they will be back.

Paul and Katrine are a mess.   Will continue to be a mess.   At least their kid will have her family to look over it.   Neither one is capable of raising a kid.  

• Love 16
10 hours ago, Mothra said:

Have you ever tasted Clearfield?  A revelation.  It doesn't taste processed.  And no slimey texture. 

I’ve never seen in stores here in Northern NJ.

is it available as prepackaged slices or do you have to order it at the deli counter?

29 minutes ago, iwasish said:

I’ve never seen in stores here in Northern NJ.

is it available as prepackaged slices or do you have to order it at the deli counter?

I buy it at the deli counter.  I'm telling you, it's worth a taste.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

And sharing the win with Ludwing was Tiffany's son.... what a freaking sweet kid!  This is kind of sad, but I was honestly surprised at how kind and sincere he and his friend were to each other when they were saying goodbye at the park.  I didn't really think kids treated each other that way anymore. Tiffany's little boy seems so emotionally vulnerable, however, that I so wanted to get in her face and ask her WTAF she's thinking, dragging him to f'ing South Africa so Mommy can hook up with some POS guy.  Of course  I've felt similarly many times about Nicole with little May. The one thing about this show I don't find amusing is watching the kids be subjected to the horrible decisions of their immature, selfish-ass parents.  Because, to be clear, I find it infinitely amusing to watch immature, selfish-ass parents suffer from their OWN horrible decisions. (-:

7 hours ago, Kangatush said:

I'm with you for all of this.  When she was at language school, I thought Karine looked really pretty.

And the young kids are completely the worst part.  Child-less idiots I'm here for all day.

YASS to the sourdough grilled cheese.  That sounds so good, especially if you had a strong sourdough.  It makes me sad when sourdough bread is mildly sour.  And also tomato soup.

I think karine has developed some kind of acne that she is likely picking at and it's causing scarring.  You have to wear a full coverage/medium coverage foundation if you really want to conceal it.  I say this from experience.

However, I think she just got her hands on some sort of foundation that may not be her shade and is not full coverage.  

So I think it's like she has these pox marks that are thinly covered with makeup and I think it makes it look worse.

I would guess that pregnancy, with all the hormones and what not may give you some acne.  

6 hours ago, LGGirl said:

It speaks volumes about this show that the most talked subject is a grilled cheese sandwich.  

Jenny and Sumit seem really immature to me.  Jenny is just a mess and pretty sure she’s been a mess he’s whole life.  Sumit thought bringing Jenny here and lying to his parents was a good idea in theory, but, in reality, it’s not.  He talks a big game but can’t pull the trigger.  This isn’t going to end well for Jenny.  

Angela 2.0 looks like she gained 30lbs since her last visit to Qatar.  Not that matters   Pretty sure this guy has no intentions on bedding her anyways.  Don’t know his game, but it isn’t going to end well.  

Mormon guy is being played.  Losing all your savings at your age is not tragic.  He’s young.  He’s able to recover financially.  Hopefully, he learns a lesson or two.  

Woman going to South Africa with her son is another foolish idiot.   Sad to see these kids dragged through this drama.  When her son was saying good buy to his friend, I just thought to myself that they will see each other again soon.  Daddy will mess up pretty quickly and they will be back.

Paul and Katrine are a mess.   Will continue to be a mess.   At least their kid will have her family to look over it.   Neither one is capable of raising a kid.  

They are both very immature and naive.  

I could maybe find this reasonable for a 30 year old who has never lived away from his parents....it's still silly, but....okay.

But Jenny is 30 years older and has lived a full life with a husband, children and grandchildren.  I think her immaturity and naivete nearly unbelievable.

I agree with everyone that I'd like to know more about Jenny's previous visit when she stayed with summit's family.  She stayed for like a couple of months/weeks, so they must not have kicked her out.  Was she presented to them as a friend?  Girlfriend?  

Jenny has said that if (when) they find out there would be a big blow up and commotion.  But what makes her think summit's parents are angry and confrontational?  We're they that way with her?  If so, how and why did she stay so long at their house?

• Love 9
On 6/19/2019 at 7:22 AM, Angry Moldolvian said:

There’s the strange Japanese man with the pregnant American . That couple looks all sort of bizarre 

You mean the crazy American who whines that she can't get "Ranch in Korea"?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

My mom had a strong aversion to butter so she would make the worst cheese sandwiches in the toaster oven and then send them cold for my lunch. One day I went to a friend’s house (these were the days when you could go home for lunch, so I went with my friend).  Her mom offered to warm up my sandwich and she fried it in butter and it was just a transformative miracle.  My eight year old mind just couldn’t understand why my sandwich was now delicious.  The butter aversion remains only with my mother.  The rest of us have been converted.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
On 6/19/2019 at 7:02 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

I do not have a Baltimore accent and I am born and raised in Baltimore, hon.

Tiffany lives in Fredrick, lots of people move there from places closer to DC or western Maryland...I am not wondering about her lack of accent I am wondering about her lack of brain cells.

I mean, they call it Fredneck for a reason...she probably believes she's in an interracial relationship because her man is from South Africa.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

I mean, they call it Fredneck for a reason...she probably believes she's in an interracial relationship because her man is from South Africa.

She did make a comment about diversity or something right before they met her son's black best friend - because Africa. ???? Bless her heart.

• Love 4
(edited)

Jenny and Sumit seem really into each other.  Maybe he has an old lady fetish.  I need to know more of the history of her staying with his parents....what happened?????  Also, if he moved 2 hours away wouldn't he HAVE to get a new job? so it's not really a lie in that case? Jenny is a friend with benefits and they are in an apt. together.

Ludwig is the hero we didn't know we needed.  He needs to host the tell-all.

Tiffani ????? How could she lead her innocent, very sweet child into the arms of a gambling addict felon?  He had better be good to that little boy or I'll fly to south africa to beat him up!

I was forced to watch the Pol segments b/c I was watching this with my toddler napping on top of me and the remote fell and I couldn't reach it :(.  They try to make Pol look normal in his begining pictures of him on the farm.  He is horrifying.  Karine looked cute and normal when he wasn't around and I'm glad for her that her brother knows what's up.  I hold out hope that Karine's family will intervene and Pol will end up in the bottom of an Amazon ravine.

Edited by doyouevengohere
  • Love 8
On 6/17/2019 at 11:27 PM, Adultosaurus said:

He came across totally rational except for his physical difference. There was even a high-chair in the kitchen. 

He is married and has kids.  He's been having fun on social media with his 15 min. of fame.  He's delightful.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 16
(edited)
10 minutes ago, doyouevengohere said:

Jenny and Sumit seem really into each other.  Maybe he has an old lady fetish.  I need to know more of the history of her staying with his parents....what happened?????

Ludwig is the hero we didn't know we needed.  He needs to host the tell-all.

Tiffani ????? How could she lead her innocent, very sweet child into the arms of a gambling addict felon?  He had better be good to that little boy or I'll fly to south africa to beat him up!

I was forced to watch the Pol segments b/c I was watching this with my toddler napping on top of me and the remote fell and I couldn't reach it :(.  They try to make Pol look normal in his begining pictures of him on the farm.  He is horrifying.  Karine looked cute and normal when he wasn't around and I'm glad for her that her brother knows what's up.  I hold out hope that Karine's family will intervene and Pol will end up in the bottom of an Amazon ravine.

The only fitting end for paul is to end up drowning in Amazonian poop water and being eaten by penis fish.  

Edited by RealReality
  • LOL 11
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, LGGirl said:

When her son was saying good buy to his friend, I just thought to myself that they will see each other again soon.  Daddy will mess up pretty quickly and they will be back.

Exactly my thoughts.

• Love 3
On 6/19/2019 at 5:01 PM, mochamajesty said:

He is a master of his kraft.

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:32 AM, greekmom said:

Hopefully Sumit doesn’t call her fat. LOL.

Or big a little bit.

Grilled cheese with sliced tomato is divine but even better is grilled cheese with a cup of tomato soup. Dip dip. Heaven!

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

Or big a little bit.

Grilled cheese with sliced tomato is divine but even better is grilled cheese with a cup of tomato soup. Dip dip. Heaven!

When push comes to shove, you're describing a deconstructed pizza.  LOL.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 6/19/2019 at 5:51 PM, RealReality said:

Baked cheese sandwiches?

I have no idea where Mimi's is, but I've had gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches and this sounds like a winner. It's all about the best bread, the best cheese, the best butter, and a little magic. 

Is grilled cheese the new Princess Toast here? Maybe Ludwig has some magic.

• Love 4