Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Big Expectations

• Start Topic

Jenny arrives in India but Sumit may have cold feet; Paul finally arrives in Brazil and surprises Karine; Laura drops a bomb on her brother, revealing some big news; Tiffany is off to South Africa, hoping she's made the right decision for her son.

Airs 6/17/19.

Paul's "job" explains why the thought of earning $26,000/year seemed so out of his reach.  He is hauling bales of hay and picking up cow pies part time--and apparently not doing a good job.  His employer said he was probably not going to keep Paul on much longer.  Paul's people skills are so poor that he thought he was a valuable employee--he began his resignation speech apologetically, as if the farmer was going to be upset to lose his services.  If he was working for Father in the past, it must have come as a shock to have to work part-time for the farmer because he left Brazil to earn money.  How much could he possibly be making as a part-time assistant cow shit wrangler?  I think something happened to Father or perhaps to Father and Mother's marriage while Pole was in Brazil, and Pole didn't find out about it until he came back to the US.  Maybe Father died, or got very sick, or left Mother, or just got fed up with Pole.

Pole is in a world of trouble.  His felony conviction(s) are making it hard to find work, and his awkwardness in general makes it unlikely that he would be able to talk someone into at least giving him a chance, despite his criminal record.  I think psychological help is a good idea, if he could afford it, although it's probably too late.  Career counseling is another good suggestion, but again, he is so damn awkward (dare I say loony?) that I doubt that would make any difference.  He doesn't speak Portuguese, so his chances of finding employment in Brazil are not good--he said he was going to find a job teaching English, but I don't know how he could get through the hiring interview in Brazil, either.  And what a terrible temperament for a teacher!

Yeah, he's screwed.  As are Karine and their baby. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 21
14 hours ago, Mothra said:

Paul's "job" explains why the thought of earning $26,000/year seemed so out of his reach.  He is hauling bales of hay and picking up cow pies part time--and apparently not doing a good job.  His employer said he was probably not going to keep Paul on much longer.  Paul's people skills are so poor that he thought he was a valuable employee--he began his resignation speech apologetically, as if the farmer was going to be upset to lose his services.  If he was working for Father in the past, it must have come as a shock to have to work part-time for the farmer because he left Brazil to earn money.  How much could he possibly be making as a part-time assistant cow shit wrangler?  I think something happened to Father or perhaps to Father and Mother's marriage while Pole was in Brazil, and Pole didn't find out about it until he came back to the US.  Maybe Father died, or got very sick, or left Mother, or just got fed up with Pole.

Pole is in a world of trouble.  His felony conviction(s) are making it hard to find work, and his awkwardness in general makes it unlikely that he would be able to talk someone into at least giving him a chance, despite his criminal record.  I think psychological help is a good idea, if he could afford it, although it's probably too late.  Career counseling is another good suggestion, but again, he is so damn awkward (dare I say loony?) that I doubt that would make any difference.  He doesn't speak Portuguese, so his chances of finding employment in Brazil are not good--he said he was going to find a job teaching English, but I don't know how he could get through the hiring interview in Brazil, either.  And what a terrible temperament for a teacher!

Yeah, he's screwed.  As are Karine and their baby. 

It would be nice if I could drum up some sympathy for Karine, but I can’t. She hopped in bed with him, got knocked up twice and married him. She had plenty of evidence that Pol was “strange”, they fought constantly, she manipulated him and played into his weirdness. Demanding he purchase all kinds of crap for her. I also think she has some  kind of drinking or drug related problem.  Honestly I wouldn’t trust her around a baby. When she and Pol are fighting who knows what kind of crazy things she(or he) would do. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, iwasish said:

It would be nice if I could drum up some sympathy for Karine, but I can’t. She hopped in bed with him, got knocked up twice and married him. She had plenty of evidence that Pol was “strange”, they fought constantly, she manipulated him and played into his weirdness. Demanding he purchase all kinds of crap for her. I also think she has some  kind of drinking or drug related problem.  Honestly I wouldn’t trust her around a baby. When she and Pol are fighting who knows what kind of crazy things she(or he) would do. 

They are a strange couple.  Her parents couldn't have been more against this marriage without coming right out and forbidding it.  She seems a case of arrested development--all those childish stuffed animals and even the sex toys--and I wonder if marrying Pole was nothing more than a big FU to her poor parents.  Her mother is clearly heart-broken about all of this.  Like most of the SA spouses on this show, she seems to believe that Pole has a lot more money than he actually has--or she has a completely unrealistic idea of the kind of expenses a baby entails, without allowing for the frills.  I wonder what kind of social supports Brazil offers to poor people with children to feed?

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I can't decide which quote I like the best.  Paul's mother saying Paul is like a computer without all the wires attached or...Andreee telling Elizabeth Do not terrorize me with your pregnancy!

I chuckle each time I think of both of them!

• LOL 4
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I can't decide which quote I like the best.  Paul's mother saying Paul is like a computer without all the wires attached or...Andreee telling Elizabeth Do not terrorize me with your pregnancy!

I chuckle each time I think of both of them!

They should sell his and her T-shirt’s.

Hers  saying “Baby On Board”

His saying “ Don’t Terrorize Me With Your

Pregnancy”

• LOL 16
  • Love 6

If Cory and his parents are Mormon how is it that Cory and his Ecuadorian Gold Digger can shack up (on their property) and he invests in a bar...Mormon's don't drink.  And yet they were talking about the EGD possibly converting.

Also, did Cory say his life savings were put towards the bar?  He said it was $2000, did I hear right?

• Useful 3
  • Love 16
28 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

If Cory and his parents are Mormon how is it that Cory and his Ecuadorian Gold Digger can shack up (on their property) and he invests in a bar...Mormon's don't drink.  And yet they were talking about the EGD possibly converting.

Also, did Cory say his life savings were put towards the bar?  He said it was $2000, did I hear right?

I know he said he spent his life savings, but I didn't think it was just on the bar.  I thought there were other "investments"

I like that the only pictures we've seen of the bar are evelin painting a surfboard and a picture of evelin having a glass of wine.  I'm not sure the actual "bar" was in any of these pictures.  Until I see otherwise the bar is as real as the shop azan and Nicole are going to open.

Maybe the bar will have a robust selection of virgin cocktails.  I don't drink, but I like feeling cool and hip with a virgin cocktail. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

I thought Cory said that he had "invested"  $40,000.00 in his fiance's country.  ALL in her name, of course.  He's so gullible, that I really wouldn't mind seeing him crawl back.  Or, he may be totally devoted and refuse to leave this woman, no matter what she does.  I can see that happening.  He's just really lost it. 

Don't take this the wrong way, but, in retrospect, I think that my parents would have done a better job at selecting me a mate than I have done.   lol  I'm not completely kidding......

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
On 6/14/2019 at 12:21 PM, iwasish said:

I agree.  She has also been incredibly immature and begged for a baby knowing that they couldn't support the kid.

Regarding Evelyn and Corey...what a disaster.  I wouldn't want to become a Mormon but it was rude of her to trash Corey's religion when she was staying on his parent's property, and it's really sad that Corey can't see that she doesn't like him much at all.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought Cory said that he had "invested"  $40,000.00 in his fiance's country.  ALL in her name, of course.  He's so gullible, that I really wouldn't mind seeing him crawl back.  Or, he may be totally devoted and refuse to leave this woman, no matter what she does.  I can see that happening.  He's just really lost it. 

Don't take this the wrong way, but, in retrospect, I think that my parents would have done a better job at selecting me a mate than I have done.   lol  I'm not completely kidding......

It is obvious to everyone that she is just not that in to him and she probably is thinking "crap, this one will be hard to get away from."  What do you do when your mark wants to move in with you?

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Jenny, you are now in a very foreign country. You don't seem to have travelled much in your life. You don't have a lot of money, you probably haven't thought about working or finding a way to live there long term, I hope you bought some travel medical insurance. You are also with a dude who is lying to his parents and family and friends about you, which does not bode well. Not like you can just move to another suburb and folks won't find you. Sumit will need to change his habits, change where he hangs out, where he shops, change his friends, etc. At what price? Have a nice fling and then go back home and let Sumit find someone a bit more suitable. If he was in his 40s, things would be very different.

Paul has significant issues and going to Brazil means he just takes them with him. He has no real job, few marketable skills, is not hugely employable. Karine/Karen is a very young immature girl who collects stuffies. Bring a baby in to the world? What a disaster unless both grow up and learn to be functioning adults.

The lady moving to Qatar? Get used to a dude doing everything for you - making any travel arrangements, driving, etc. Unless it is more westernized, you have very few rights there. May have been better for you to be a nurse or health care worker. Her weird little friend is a much needed voice of reason. I'd be having a serious chat with Mr. Rub Me the Right Way Genie in a Bottle about what his real motivation is with me. There are women your age who do look quite good but you are not one of them.  Does he see you for you or just as an opportunity?

Tiffany, good luck in South Africa. Where in South Africa?Johannesburg? Capetown? You should leave your son with your mom for a few months. Get there, spend time with Ronald, see if he is in any place to be in any sort of relationship. You are going to marry a freshly recovering addict - who will say anything to you. Maybe he is your true love (you certainly don't love him unconditionally and without expectation - you 'need' him) and both of you are addicts in some form. Things may be all right til the triggers start for both of you. And you are bringing a child in to the codependent mess.

And probably some money and credit cards. She’d better sleep with one eye open. Any jewelry? Anything worth a couple bucks and easy to pawn or sell? Be prepared to be told you. “ must have lost/ misplaced  it”  and don’t argue that you didn’t cause he’s just going to accuse you of not believing him ... “you don’t love me!!!”

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

He comes across as a bit eccentric. He speaks the truth. Just a vibe I get.

He came across totally rational except for his physical difference. There was even a high-chair in the kitchen. 

• Love 21
On 6/15/2019 at 6:06 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

I know and he worked in a bar there too.....Mormons aren’t what they used to be!

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

Pole is so stupid, it frightens me - like to the level of "The Purge" becoming a reality. Karine is 7 months pregnant and when she got knocked up, she didn't speak any English at all. Now she speaks English quite well, even knows a lot of uncommon (not often verbally communicated) words. And she speaks in complete sentences, not broken English, per se. I took 4 years of a foreign language and cannot speak 1/100th what she can speak after just a few months. I mean, for real, she said "I hate you, Pole". Exactly at one point in the curriculum is the word "hate" taught? Because I didn't learn it in my 4 years.

Did I legit just see an orange dot on Jenny's forehead or was that just bad lighting?

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
2 minutes ago, millennium said:

I'm confused.  Isn't this the thread for last week's Jun 11 episode?

I am not gonna lie. I cannot keep track anymore. Too many versions of this show. If I posted something in the wrong thread, I apologize. And to any mod - please feel free to move or remove it. 

• Love 4
Just now, Hannah94 said:

I am not gonna lie. I cannot keep track anymore. Too many versions of this show. If I posted something in the wrong thread, I apologize. And to any mod - please feel free to move or remove it. 

I can't either.   I went to the old thread, discovered it moved and followed the link, only to read it and feel like everybody was watching some other show.   They were discussing the same characters, but describing things I hadn't seen, even though I'm all caught up.

I think this IS the thread for tonight's episode.  My mistake.   I was thrown by all the prior comments from as early as Friday.   I don't know what folks are seeing on Friday.  The show I watch airs on Monday.   

21 minutes ago, Hannah94 said:

Did I legit just see an orange dot on Jenny's forehead or was that just bad lighting?

It was either the world's ugliest bindi or a pizza smudge.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

THIS.   Tiffany said Daniel spontaneously started calling Ronald "dad."  How pathetic is it that the kid is so starved for ANY male attention that he'll just call some random person he's never met "dad"?  And while she mouths the right words that she won't go through with it if the Daniel and Ronald don't "click" I don't believe for a second she means it.

This.  

We have seen this before and it never fails to seem sad or wrong.   I can't even recall her name, that girl who went to England to hook up with the recycling guy.  She did that too.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, millennium said:

I can't either.   I went to the old thread, discovered it moved and followed the link, only to read it and feel like everybody was watching some other show.   They were discussing the same characters, but describing things I hadn't seen, even though I'm all caught up.

I think this IS the thread for tonight's episode.  My mistake.   I was thrown by all the prior comments from as early as Friday.   I don't know what folks are seeing on Friday.  The show I watch airs on Monday.   

I feel like I spend more energy and time on trying to keep up with all these damn dumpster fire shows than I use on work...or just life in general. Sad but true. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, millennium said:

We have seen this before and it never fails to seem sad or wrong.   I can't even recall her name, that girl who went to England to hook up with the recycling guy.  She did that too.

Was his name John/Jon? I cannot remember her name. But I did see a shit ton of online gossip that they had met years before the show and the baby Lucy was actually his. Who knows. These people, willing to give up their privacy and self-respect, all to have their shit shows publicized to the entire world. We all make bad judgment calls from time to time, sure, but the shit if I am going to sensationalize mine to the entire world on air.

• Love 5

Ludwig, FTW.  He seems mad cool. I would happily get some fancy grilled cheese and chit chat with him.  Interestingly in the land of Sochul Media Danielle and MAGA Angela, Laura doesn't seem like a bad guy.  She seems a bit deluded, but she isn't the WORST like those other two.

South Asian gal checking in again...I SAW all those gossipy auntie-jis eyeballing Sumit and Jenny when they got to the apartment, and by the time these idiots got up the stairs, I can guarantee you that word is back to Sumit's parents.  The apartment itself isn't bad.  I do wonder what his plan is when they run out of money to pay rent.  Also, Mr Trini and I were eating a quick dinner while these two were kissing.  I was totally grossed out.  Make it staaaapppp.

Remember how I liked Tiffany?  Well, that is lessening by the moment.  Between ripping her 6 yr old away from what he knows ("my whole life!"  adorbs) and his family and friends, AND having him call this loser Ron "dad" seems to be setting up the kid for real heartache. 

Paul continues to be a dick (that is all I got). 

Random thought:  The music on this shit show is so stereotypical that I always  know where we are going to in the narrative if I'm not directly watching the show.  Weak-ass fake bhangra = Jenny and Sumit.  Theme park middle eastern-y = Laura and Qatar dude.  Jungly annoyance = Paul and Karine.  It's annoying, but it helps half watching the show. Etc etc

• LOL 2
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

He comes across as a bit eccentric. He speaks the truth. Just a vibe I get.

3 hours ago, Adultosaurus said:

He came across totally rational except for his physical difference. There was even a high-chair in the kitchen. 

I was going to say because he makes grilled cheeses with jelly and pancake syrup, but Google tells me that's something people do.

• Useful 5
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5
(edited)

I'm just thankful this episode has aired, so I no longer have to sit through the commercial with Tiffany talking about Ronald and "CAN he can CONTINUE to be STRONG." She should get fired from voice-overing for life. 

Edited by Callaphera
I've heard it so often, you'd think I would get the quote right
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, millennium said:

The Aladin woman.   Without makeup, she looks like The Skipper.

Karine just looks diseased, with or without makeup.   It's sad Pole couldn't bring along everything the baby will need, but at least he brought the essentials, like a stuffed animal and a Wet N Wild 50-shade eyeshadow palette for Karine.   

Too funny!

The Skipper!  She reminded me of someone and I think you nailed it.  

Karine has practically morphed into a different person.  She seems miserable 24/7 so I can still recognize her.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

THIS.   Tiffany said Daniel spontaneously started calling Ronald "dad."  How pathetic is it that the kid is so starved for ANY male attention that he'll just call some random person he's never met "dad"?  And while she mouths the right words that she won't go through with it if the Daniel and Ronald don't "click" I don't believe for a second she means it.

This.  

Team Daniel...Team May....I feel sorry for the children. Daniel is a child and the fact that he is embracing Ronald as Daddy so quickly is dangerous. That kid is in for a world of disappointment. 

• Love 22
(edited)
5 hours ago, Chippings said:

I sure would like to know more about Ludwing - he's been her "adopted brother" for 20 years, but he has an accent of some kind;

He sounds like he is French Canadian and has more common sense than his delusional, stupid blonde friend.  Maybe next time he will make her poutine 🙂

Edited by Baltimore Betty
  • Love 11
On 6/14/2019 at 12:21 PM, iwasish said:

[Karine] Demanding he purchase all kinds of crap for her.

And none of it with any practical application - unicorn onesies, kid cereal, giant stuffed poop emojis, What was she thinking?

The only practical gift was the Mickey Mouse dildo.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, millennium said:

So Jenny never considered her phone wouldn't work in India.  Does she realize her Walgreen's coupons are probably a bust too?  

Karine just looks diseased, with or without makeup.   It's sad Pole couldn't bring along everything the baby will need, but at least he brought the essentials, like a stuffed animal and a Wet N Wild 50-shade eyeshadow palette for Karine.   

This.  To both.  

Jenny and her non-working phone.  I mean, wouldn’t you have contacted your cell provider to make sure it works?  

Is Sumit pronounced like “Summit” or “ Sumeeee” or “Summeet”?   I heard all those pronunciations.  

I get that Karine is pregnant.  But she looks dirty and diseased.  Unwashed.  Her face is completely different.  

Edited by Meowwww
Sumit
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, millennium said:

You're not wrong, Karine looks awful and unwell.  Very, very different from the first time we saw her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, nr65000 said:

You're not wrong, Karine looks awful and unwell.  Very, very different from the first time we saw her.

And the way she grabbed onto him when he walked in her house! Like, Superman just showed up, it was weird. 

• LOL 1

I am not so sure I would be thrilled if Pole snuck in to my apartment in the middle of the night with cameras in tow but it looks like Karine has no shame about what her apartment looks like.

And yes, thank goodness Paul was able to fit that eyeshadow palate in his luggage, forget about any of the baby products he went berserk about at the airport.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7