Type keyword(s) to search

Comedy Central Roast of Alec Baldwin - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Twilight Man said:

Finally some news that will make Donald Trump truly smile..........

This summer, Comedy Central will roast Alec Baldwin.

In addition to making fun of each other, the "roasters" will then

spend just as much time making fun of Billy and Daniel

before finally making one or two jokes about him.

Nice. I wonder who will be on the dais. 

27 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Caitlyn Jenner wasn't funny.

There, I said it.

Yeah. (I mean there were one or two lines that worked, but...) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first time on a CC roast that anyone has used their time mainly for sermonizing. The time for that is an Academy Award acceptance speech!😏

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, MsTree said:

Do we really think that Ireland wrote her own "jokes"?  I agree they were OTT and that she gave (whomever) ammo to write about, but I don't think she scripted it all on her own.

Finished watching the show last night, including this part. My guess is you're on the right track. I found myself wondering, "Why does this feel so cringeworthy? It's no worse than what other roasters are saying." And I don't think it's just because it was personal. I think it's because she doesn't know how to deliver jokes like a comedian. Some non-comedians do. But lots don't. Which she can't be blamed for. The only wrong thing was her deciding to do this when she didn't have the comedian-instincts to pull it off, and the producers putting her in that position.

It's kind of like the classic "best-man's horrible wedding speech" trope. Some can pull it off. Others can't.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

My main two takeaways: Ireland Baldwin needs to invest in a bra--or a better one

She's often featured on the Daily Mail website for this very reason with the headline always being something along the lines of Ireland Baldwin goes BRALESS on her morning coffee run.  So, I am guessing she was without one at the roast.  It gets her a lot of attention and seems to the only things interesting about her.  yawn. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 9/16/2019 at 12:13 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Caitlyn Jenner wasn't funny.

There, I said it.

Yes, but do you at least concede that she was stunning? And brave? #IHadTo #BuckleUpBuckeroo

I had some laughs . . . though I'd probably have to watch again to remember the exact lines. Blake Griffin saying no one in Caitlyn Jenner's family liked white dick . . . that was a keeper. Even if he was fed that joke, it was still funny.

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog is a double-edged sword. The gag goes way too far, but he's so funny. #ForMeToPoopOn

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I thought it was pretty funny. It helped that Alec and his daughter Ireland were good sports about the whole thing. She actually spoke and made some funny remarks. 

I thought the two funniest roasters were Nikki Glaser and, surprisingly, Blake Griffin. For a non-comedian, Blake has great comedic timing and delivery. 

Jeff Ross is always solid and funny, but Nikki and Blake were the ones that had me laughing hysterically and waking up my sleeping family members.

And it was great to see Robert DeNiro there just because he's Robert f-ing DeNiro. 

The jokes were offensive, crude, crass, and mean, but hey, that's what you get at a roast. In this setting, they don't bother me. 

• Love 2
On 9/17/2019 at 3:41 AM, MsTree said:

Do we really think that Ireland wrote her own "jokes"?  I agree they were OTT and that she gave (whomever) ammo to write about, but I don't think she scripted it all on her own.

On 9/17/2019 at 8:25 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Finished watching the show last night, including this part. My guess is you're on the right track. I found myself wondering, "Why does this feel so cringeworthy? It's no worse than what other roasters are saying." And I don't think it's just because it was personal. I think it's because she doesn't know how to deliver jokes like a comedian. Some non-comedians do. But lots don't. Which she can't be blamed for. The only wrong thing was her deciding to do this when she didn't have the comedian-instincts to pull it off, and the producers putting her in that position.

It's kind of like the classic "best-man's horrible wedding speech" trope. Some can pull it off. Others can't.

Nobody writes their own jokes for the CC Roasts except the comedians. And even they use the wrtiters' lines to different degrees. I would bet only Glaser, Ross, and Smigel (Triumph) wrote more than half of their material. at least the parts that made it to TV. Which is why they had like 8 credited writers in the end credits. And why so much of it sounded the same, except that some are better than others at delivering the lines. I kind of miss the older roasts where it was actually performers who knew each other and there was actually a number of different takes instead of 2 or 3 unique sets and then 6 versions of the same thing focused on whatever tabloid fodder they could get to show up.

• Love 1
On 9/18/2019 at 12:59 PM, topanga said:

I thought it was pretty funny. It helped that Alec and his daughter Ireland were good sports about the whole thing. She actually spoke and made some funny remarks. 

I thought the two funniest roasters were Nikki Glaser and, surprisingly, Blake Griffin. For a non-comedian, Blake has great comedic timing and delivery. 

Jeff Ross is always solid and funny, but Nikki and Blake were the ones that had me laughing hysterically and waking up my sleeping family members.

And it was great to see Robert DeNiro there just because he's Robert f-ing DeNiro. 

The jokes were offensive, crude, crass, and mean, but hey, that's what you get at a roast. In this setting, they don't bother me. 

Blake has been working on comedy. He was even on the roast battle show Jeff Ross does for comedy Central.

• Love 1

Usually I enjoy these roasts. Jeff Ross is merciless (and hilarious) at these events. At the Baldwin roast, Glaser & Rhea were funny. But the rest of the roasters weren't all that funny to me.  Ireland was, IMO, awful and her comments were way too personal to be humerous.  It felt like we'd suddenly sequed into Divorce Court.

• Love 2

Some of it was funny. Robert Deniro tasing about smelly pussy or whatever he said was not something I ever wanted to hear from an acting legend. Just made me have no respect for him. And dear God he looked like a little old grampa ready for the nursing home sitting there. Sit up straight!

How did I miss Triumph? 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, msrachelj said:

Some of it was funny. Robert Deniro tasing about smelly pussy or whatever he said was not something I ever wanted to hear from an acting legend. Just made me have no respect for him. And dear God he looked like a little old grampa ready for the nursing home sitting there. Sit up straight!

Thank God I switched channels before DeNiro. What a nasty old poot he's turned into. There's funny ribaldry and then there's crossing the line into the scatalogical. 

• Love 1