Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: The Hurt That Will Happen

• Start Topic

Airdate 2019.06.09

Morgan and Alicia meet a survivor and learn of a new walker threat.  The mission is put to the test when one of their own goes missing and Strand makes contact.

REMINDER: This thread is to discuss this episode and what is shown in this episode.  Do not discuss spoilers or news of cast comings or goings that we haven't seen onscreen yet.  While it's all right to generally reference The Walking Dead as we do have character crossovers, your post should primarily be about this show and not about hashing out minutia or major plot points from the mothership.

Daniel is still a dick.. Never liked him.. Never understood why others did... That's not to say he doesn't have reason to be weary of strand... But IIRC  he's the one who wanted to steal the boat from strand way back when.  I guess the point was to get Alicia out of her funk and for Morgan to grow Into the teacher... Not the best episode but it moved some pieces along... And set up some stuff... The nuked up walkers was interesting 

• Love 6

A little slow and yes, a little meandering but not altogether terrible.  It seems we're perpetually stuck with Morgan trying to cast every other single person who isn't doing spectacularly in this apocalypse (which not surprisingly would be everybody) as the Clear version of himself and himself as the cheesemaker who pulls them back.  Alicia's not killing everything, living or dead, that crosses her path in some nihilistic frenzy, though.  She's just trying to take everything on herself to give herself some illusion of control in a world that's increasingly beyond it.

I love the Daniel-Strand dynamic so much.  Daniel has very little sense of humor or patience where Strand's concerned and with good reason he's just completely over any line of bullshit Strand may try to peddle.  Even if in this case, Strand's not actually bullshitting.  I love how the normally cocky and overconfident Strand is almost immediately reduced to babbling and "golly gee, this time I'm on the level, Mr. Salazar" because he knows Daniel isn't buying and really isn't someone to fuck with.  I think I missed how exactly their paths crossed again beyond Strand seeing him show up on Althea's videos, but I hope there will be more of this to come.

Not sure radiation poisoning works quite the way the show seems to think it does, but I like that the show is actually trying to address a real issue in an end of the world scenario with the nuclear plant meltdown and what happens after.  I'm here for the addition of radioactive walkers wandering around the Texas woods somewhere and the summer camp of the damned, even if none of these people can ever take a hint that if someone goes to that much trouble to block roads and throw up big keep out signs, maybe not go that way.  I did love John Dorie looking at the mobile of walker heads strung up on the billboard high overhead and remarking "That seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to.  They could have just left a note."

• Love 9
4 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Not sure radiation poisoning works quite the way the show seems to think it does, but I like that the show is actually trying to address a real issue in an end of the world scenario with the nuclear plant meltdown and what happens after.

That is what I liked about that episode. 

For the Daniel-Strand matter I don't remember most of what happened last season,  so I am lost.  Strand shot Daniel in the face,  how come he still have a face?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I really liked this episode. So far so good this season. I enjoyed the new character Grace. It was nice to meet what appeared to be a normal non hostile person. I know it's the apocalypse but there are still good people out there that would welcome help. The radiation aspect is awesome and I am also glad it was addressed Grace wasn't setting those walker fences. I'm hoping it's not Dwight either but the group that took Althea. 

I love Morgan and Alicia. I say every week I am tired of Morgan preaching but I always end up liking all the scenes he and Alicia talk about their feelings. lol

Glad to see Daniel again and I figured he wouldn't help Strand so nothing too exciting there.

No Althea, Charlie, Sarah or Wendall- thank goodness. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, heisenberg said:

For the Daniel-Strand matter I don't remember most of what happened last season,  so I am lost.  Strand shot Daniel in the face,  how come he still have a face?

I had to go back and look it up too because I while I remembered that Strand shot him I was fuzzy on the particulars.  This is this their last interaction at the end of season 3 before this, when it appears that Strand mostly grazed him:

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

I had to go back and look it up too because I while I remembered that Strand shot him I was fuzzy on the particulars.  This is this their last interaction at the end of season 3 before this, when it appears that Strand mostly grazed him:

OK, thank you!  So Daniel must have a little scar on the cheek and that's about it.  Now it makes sense.  It will be a lot easier to follow since the rest of the story was mostly "politics" about what to do with the water.   Thank you again it was all I needed to be able to follow.

• Love 1

All Daniel did was remind me that I dont know what the hell happened after the dam broke they just went straight to the baseball stadium. Did a miss an episode? 

Am I supposed to believe that there aren't any airplanes any more. Why dont they try an airport. Did everyone in the state of Texas try and fly out in there planes. 

• Love 3

We're never told much specific about how they all found each other after the dam explosion, only that most of the original core Clark group had regrouped somewhere around El Paso, I think?  We've still been given absolutely no explanation how Luciana hooked back up with them after having left them months earlier at an entirely different location, but whatever.  They apparently just wandered around for some time until they found the baseball stadium and figured that looked as good a place as any to try to settle in.

I would imagine travel hubs like airports were overrun pretty early and have probably already been picked clean.  Beyond that, who knows?

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode a lot and hope that they meet back up with Grace at some point. There are plenty of ways they could be helping people that doesn't include searching them out and asking them to be part of the group.

Maybe instead of leaving bottles of water and other supplies in boxes along they road they could clean out the walkers from a small pond nearby and set up a fence that keeps new walkers out so that people passing by have a safe place to clean up or take a break. Or build and fortify a small lean to shed for anybody to use like the communal campsites that people share when they hike the Appalachian Trail or something. 

I could be the only one who would find that more interesting then Al getting kidnapped and the gang out searching for her but I feel like they would have a lot of flexibility in the people/characters that they meet that would be much more interesting. It was so refreshing that Grace was just a good person doing her best to help the world.

Also, why does Strand think the only way to rescue the group is to get another airplane? I thought in the last episode they mentioned only being 50 miles away from the others? Why not just drive the semi truck there and pick them up?

• Love 7

Wow, Tuesday and still only 12 posts,                               obviously the ‘Botched’ team of Terry and Paul survived the ZA, they made an amazing job of Daniel’s 9mm round through the jaw, mouth, cheek?    

Daniel’s perfect setup feels a little contrived, his meeting with Strand felt a little flat and disappointing, the second show of just killing multiple Walkers, irradiated or not was just a little bit meh.

I really hope my enthusiasm picks up for the new mystery opponents, but as of now I’m just not feeling it.

• Love 3

I don't know much about airplanes, but flying a plane that hasn't seen regular maintenance in who-knows-how-long sounds like a bad idea.  Better to just grab one of those many cars with the gas that never expires that seem to be everywhere and drive where you're going.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I don't understand how they have any vehicles running at all. Whenever there is an emergency, gasoline is usually the first thing to run out. Not to mention that gasoline goes bad after some time. And planes are extremely sensitive to having good fuel, not to mention they guzzle it. Helicopters have the worst fuel efficiency, the only thing that uses more fuel are rockets. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 10:23 PM, FishyJoe said:

I don't understand how they have any vehicles running at all. Whenever there is an emergency, gasoline is usually the first thing to run out. Not to mention that gasoline goes bad after some time. And planes are extremely sensitive to having good fuel, not to mention they guzzle it. Helicopters have the worst fuel efficiency, the only thing that uses more fuel are rockets. 

Don't forget that they are using only big pick-up trucks, rigs, SWAT gear, etc...  Like they used to do in TWD.  After that, the only thing avaible to travel with will be horses, 🙂 .

No bicycles, no electric vehicules (From skateboards up to cars), no ethanol...  But horses blooming from thin air..

Mostly, everywhere in the world a bicycle is a mode of transportation, not a toy. 

If I was on that show, you would see me passing by on a 30 000$ mountain bike or my Tesla model x... 

And you would regognise my house build up with solar panels and windmills.

My 80inch tv  with the feed filled by thousands of dvds, hard drives, computers, phones that I picked up all around (If you made sextapes beware).  My big garden, my luxurious pool... 

My hi-tech security system watching and sensing everything from my walls and beyond,  My scanners trying to connect to any satellites or signals still alive. 

What's left?  A profile on Tinder maybe?

Nope.  They all want to be as dumb as possible while beeing miserable at it...  Civilisation took thousands of years to get us the best technology, best knowledge avaible everywhere, but they will end up with a horse and a stick...

That's why I'm still following these shows,  they are very funny indeed...😊

Edited by heisenberg
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1