Type keyword(s) to search

Unspouse My House: Episodes 1 - 5

Message added by Meredith Quill

Please see the forum for episode topics from episode 6 onwards.

• Start Topic

Your place to discuss episodes 1 - 5 of Unspouse My House. Per HGTV:

Unspouse My House isn’t just about overhauling homes — it’s about helping heal the lonely hearts of newly-single and recently-divorced homeowners through the power of interior design.

IDK. It doesn’t feel sad to me.

Most of us who just finished up getting a divorce are the opposite of sad. Using myself as an example, I’m rather enjoying turning my house into MY house. When I put new bedding and new decorations in my bedroom, it made me happy. I took pictures. 

• Love 6
On 6/9/2019 at 2:15 PM, JTMacc99 said:

IDK. It doesn’t feel sad to me.

Most of us who just finished up getting a divorce are the opposite of sad. Using myself as an example, I’m rather enjoying turning my house into MY house. When I put new bedding and new decorations in my bedroom, it made me happy. I took pictures. 

Exactly. The episode that I saw treated the divorce and former spouse in a very matter-of-fact way. No bashing, just readiness to move on and relief that there’s no need to make compromises on what the person wants. IIRC, the only negative remark had to do with a big recliner the husband had used to sit in while the wife was cooking and so forth, and while it was obvious she resented his sense of entitlement, the focus was much more on creating her own space to her own specifications. This episode came off as uplifting, not depressing. Marriages end, and people need to adjust. I’d be much more depressed or concerned by a show about a divorced spouse who insisted on keeping everything the way it was while the former spouse was still there. 

• Love 2
Just now, sheetmoss said:

I initially  rolled my eyes over the show's concept - but  after viewing, I  found the show very upbeat-- and liked his design-work,  particularly using the area under the raised fireplace hearth space for  yards of found storage space

(edited)

We get it, you're gay.  But the flipping in and out of the affected voice isn't entertaining distracts focus from the design.  Just stick with your normal voice used during narrations between shots.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 1

Just watched the second episode and I enjoyed it! Does anyone else think that the designer looks a bit like Doug Wilson? He made some great changes in that house and made it great for the homeowner! I loved the spice "rack" he designed. I liked the green he tested for the bedroom but I knew he would go with one of the pinks...and pink is not my color but she liked it so that is what counts! So far, so good for me and this show.

• Love 1

We get it, you're gay.  But the flipping in and out of the affected voice isn't entertaining distracts focus from the design.  Just stick with your normal voice used during narrations between shots.

If Orlando would just stand there and not say anything, he would actually be quite attractive. But the minute he opens his mouth to speak, it's all over. And it's not that he's gay. It feels like a put-on. You can catch him in moments where he isn't playing up the persona. It doesn't feel genuine.

Does anyone else think that the designer looks a bit like Doug Wilson? 

A little bit, now that you mention it.

I do like his designs though. What's interesting is that he's able to do three rooms, including a kitchen (!) on a modest budget of 30K. I've never seen a reno done as cheaply. And that spice rack was really clever and really nice.

We missed the first episode, I hope we catch a rerun.

Enjoyed the second episode a lot... particularly that he got a lot done on a minimal budget. The budgets for some of these shows are ridiculous. 

The host did not bother us... I liked that he helped her purge all her closets and then gave her 2 good size dressers. 

It bashes the ex just enough lol. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, ShellyD said:

It bashes the ex just enough lol.

I kept an eye out for it this time. He asked a question like “tell me what about your ex’a style you didn’t like.”  Which is a legitimate and good question for what they’re doing here. 

Then the animation shows some lazy schlub sprawled out on the couch. Heh. 

• Love 3

I really liked the designs he did tonight...really made the rooms look bigger and definitely more stylish. Again, they did not trash the ex-spouse; in fact, he was quite complimentary! I had to laugh at his "layered" tvs....I could actually see him having two sets if he wanted to watch several games at once, but I don't think a living room is the place for that. I also liked how they saved the pantry door with all of the kids heights that had been saved throughout the years(even including the pet marking🤣. All in all I am enjoying this show.

• Love 4

OMG the girlfriend. Anyone else immediately think "Gold digger?" Not that everyone you meet on the internet is a gold digger but . . . she was a bit much. Interesting the home owner didn't even mention her. 

I really didn't care for the mint green. That seemed far more feminine than the color that was there before. I also didn't think there was enough seating facing the TV. Clearly it's the focal point of the room. 

I did like the accent color on the fireplace though. And I liked the master bedroom.

• Love 2

I keep meaning to post my thoughts here and then head to another thread and forget! I really, really liked the yellow and black kitchen with the exception of the table and chairs which were glaringly another yellow(and didn't go with the cabinets!) Her bedroom was ok but I wouldn't want that bright a color in my bedroom(actually I wouldn't want any pink in my room!!). I love bedrooms that are grey with pops of color added by pillows and wall art! Her bathroom was stunning and kid free! It was great that he could add the half bath for the kids to use. I really like the work that Orlando does and hope that this show is renewed. I like how they mention the ex's but not in a mean way.

• Love 1

It's amazing what they're able to do with $50K on this show. An entire kitchen, an entire bathroom, a master bedroom, and even another bathroom addition!! Nate and Jeremiah spend $50K just on one window.

I liked Orlando explaining they basically found floor models of high-end appliance and got them at a discount. Now why don't other shows do that?

Some of the colors weren't to my taste but clearly Deanna loved them. I don't think Orlando would have used pink if she hadn't already told him she liked that color.

• Love 2
(edited)

I saw the first episode and liked it well enough. I’ve seen a couple of commercials but never saw it on the schedule again. If I search for it, I get “no matches”. What is the usual time slot? Thanks!

Edited by Meeshie83
14 hours ago, Meeshie83 said:

I saw the first episode and liked it well enough. I’ve seen a couple of commercials but never saw it on the schedule again. If I search for it, I get “no matches”. What is the usual time slot? Thanks!

Thursday 9:30 PM on the east coast. 

The  daycare house was so odd - besides the flr plan /layout, it looked like the masterbath was the only full bath in the house. 

Lots of homes only have one bathroom, but that one in its location seemed so inconvenient for the rest of the house.

Also, Orlando  eliminated the  door in the utility room--and it didn't look like there was another.

Awhile back, Nate & Jeremiah  seemed to do the same.

On 7/1/2019 at 4:24 PM, iMonrey said:

I liked Orlando explaining they basically found floor models of high-end appliance and got them at a discount. Now why don't other shows do that?

Aubrey on Flip or Flop Vegas often shows her bargain/clearance/closeout buying-- esp on tile and flooring.

15 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

The  daycare house was so odd - besides the flr plan /layout, it looked like the masterbath was the only full bath in the house. 

Lots of homes only have one bathroom, but that one in its location seemed so inconvenient for the rest of the house.

Yes, which I was so puzzled when the homeowners response to her remodeled bath was to gleefully state that she would no longer share it with the kids.  Will her children now bathe in the sink or toilet in the daycare half bath?

I really like the show.  It is kind of a throwback to the older shows where they actually try to design for the person. And they do well with the budget.  And I like the guy.  He works well with the homeowner. 

• Love 4