Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
doesntworkonwood

2019 Womens World Cup France

GET. RID. OF. V .A. F. R. 

And I'm rooting for the US. That was not a penalty at all. If you're going to slow something down so much, you'll find something somewhere. 

Now THAT was the match of the tournament. What a game!!! That is what you want soccer to look like.

The US definitely lucked out. Had a few balls bounced differently, they would be playing for third instead of first. England gave them all they could handle. Naeher picked a great time to have the game of her LIFE. I’ve been skeptical of her but am happy to admit she really showed me today!

I feel quite badly for England. They played amazing. Forget the France game—this may have been the real final of the WWC.

This may be slight heresy, but at times the US looked a bit more offensively dynamic with Press instead of Rapinoe. Press has fresher (and younger) legs and it showed.

What a viewing experience.

• Like 2

Well, I guess England's women are following England's men - they can't score penalties (three missed, or rather saved, in the tournament!) and they go out in the semis. I thought England had the better of the second half and if things had gone slightly different, they could have won it in Extra time.

Controversial opinion: I'm OK with VAR. Yes, it takes forever, but like DRS in cricket, it'll get better as the officials get used to it. So long as the Refs don't abandon making any decisions at all (which happened in a couple of games), it should ensure the right team wins (like a certain goal for Argentina against England that should never be allowed in 1986 - no I haven't forgotten and yes I am still bitter!)

Edited by John Potts
  • Like 2

Hamstring strain.  Same with Lavelle today when she went out. Theoretically both ok for final.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Potts said:

So long as the Refs don't abandon making any decisions at all (which happened in a couple of games)

I'm not confident at this point. 

They shouldn't review for offsides. And absolutely it should not be used to assess a PK. That's the ref's sole job. 

39 minutes ago, ganesh said:

And absolutely it should not be used to assess a PK. That's the ref's sole job. 

You'd think they could cope with a very restricted field of play. And if VAR is used, it should cover things like encroachment, which happened in the Scotland v Argentina game during the penalties and wasn't penalised.

17 hours ago, John Potts said:

You'd think they could cope with a very restricted field of play.

They can. It's a judgment call and you need to have one person with the sole responsibility to call it. When I was doing semi pro and just town leagues I would be very clear to the lines - you do not raise the flag for anything in the box.

You can't have people deciding if they think it might be a foul. That clearly wasn't. The striker whiffed on the shot and fell down. 

I'll give you VAR for scoring. Otherwise, there's no place for it. 

I'm not a fan of replay for anything in any sport except scoring or clock simply because it doesn't make anything better. It takes away consistency and it's a cheat because the organizations won't invest in the resources to have the game officiated better. 

All players want is the official being in the right position on the field to make the call. "But the game is too fast". It's really not, but hire and train more officials then. 

It looked clear to me that the PK was justified. On the leg backswing White’s foot was run into by the defender. It wasn’t what I initially thought was being called: a shove in the back or a knee into the thigh.  Those never happened. But the contact was the reason White whiffed in my nonexpert judgement. 

She whiffed first and the contact came later. Honestly, I don't really care what the call was. The referee was in the right position, so whatever call she made would have been correct. Going back to review it was not correct. 

The player was right to go down when there was contact. That's what you do. 

I'm not impressed with either of these teams right now. They're playing way too conservative. 

Edited by ganesh

The defender just catches White's trailing leg that caused her to fall: it was a fairly soft penalty that I'd say was harsh (certainly if given against my team!) but probably fair. But if you can't score from 12 yards, you don't really deserve to be in the Final.

It's just a shame the Semi Final line up wasn't different, because following today's match, I expect the USA to blow away the Dutch in the final. I'll still be cheering for the Oranje on Sunday, but I don't have much hope of an upset.

13 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The contact was still after she whiffed. Her shooting foot was unencumbered. 

You are not understanding what we are saying. The contact was in the windup to the shot, and it caused her to miss the shot.  Like a quarterback getting his arm hit while cocking back his throwing arm.

In this video, I'm saying that the contact happened at 1:26 before the ball arrives. Ellen White's leg is extended backward and Dahlkemper runs into it, messing up the ensuing shot attempt. I believe that you think the alleged contact happens at 1:27-1:28 when the ball has already passed. Whether you think that contact is enough to warrant a PK is another issue, but let's try to be talking about the same thing.

The point of if you're going to take 5 minutes to review everything, then you're going to find something. Give the officials the authority to make the call in the field of play without being second guessed. They won't be perfect. They'll be consistent. 

And to be fair, the offside goal wasn't even remotely offside. 

And to be real. Hit the fucking PK and we're not talking about this. 

The fundamental issue is you're telling officials they judge to be perfect and you're second guessing them. It's the wrong investment of resources. 

Edited by ganesh

Woohoo!! Way to go US Women.

That game was so exciting.  The Netherlands really gave them a run for their money 

• Like 7

I don't know. I only feel like the Netherlands threatened for a few minutes at most and never really generated more than a couple of chances. USA just outlasted them. You could see after 65' how they were ripping shots left and right and dribbling through the entire back line. 

It seems clear to me that a team like England that can score and take it to them is the type of team that can beat them. But there's only like 2 teams who can really.

Now can we please fucking *pay* these ladies? 

• Like 11

Congrats to the USWNT!!! The Netherlands kept it close in the first half but I thought the US were clearly the better team today. The Netherlands rarely threatened, and after about the 35 minute mark or so it felt like just a matter of time. (I know England didn’t really show up yesterday—at least in the first half—but I think they gave the US their stiffest test, actually, and were probably the second-best team in the tourney.) 

Glad to see Lavelle get the Bronze Boot—she really made this team tick. Sari van Veenendaal deserved the Golden Glove for the first half today alone, she was spectacular. Rapinoe has nerves of steel and I get why she was the pick, but you almost wish the Golden Ball could have gone to the whole US starting eleven, as it has been such a team performance.

Becky Sauerbrunn was a warrior today. What a way to probably exit the World Cup. Legend!

Edited by stealinghome
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Murica. Fuck yes.

…#Coming in to show that their women play the bes(t)#?

Yeah, congrats to the USA, who were easily the best team of the tournament and thoroughly deserved their victory. I did think the Dutch did pretty well in the final, but I didn't think they'd actually win (unless, maybe, they could take it to penalties).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, John Potts said:

…#Coming in to show that their women play the bes(t)#?

Yeah, congrats to the USA, who were easily the best team of the tournament and thoroughly deserved their victory. I did think the Dutch did pretty well in the final, but I didn't think they'd actually win (unless, maybe, they could take it to penalties).

The Dutch were playing so defensively, I thought maybe their strategy was to get to the shootout and take their chances.

• Like 2