Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 General Discussion

bref
  • Start Topic

I've noticed a similar pattern with my friends. Aimless chick who's not sure what to do with life? Send her to beauty school! On the other hand, my friends who are highly motivated a driven, nursing (or other medical) careers seem to be very popular. And of course the girls with the cosmetology degrees *still* don't know what they wanna do or if they're even going to take their boards exams or not. Good grief!

I'm not a dog owner so help me out.

Is the goal to get the biggest dog you can find, a Husky, a Rotweiller or whatever and then just shove it in a cage? What's the point of these cages? We saw Janelle use her cage as a punishment for the dog and Kail stuck her dogs in a cage when she was going out to Walmart or wherever. Why get a dog just to coop it up? It seems cruel to the dogs to me.

I don't have a dog because I live in NYC and I don't see the fairness in leaving a dog in some brownstone all day. These girls have big yards so why the cages? And the cages look small.

Is this normal?

• Love 1

A dog's crate should be big enough for the dog to comfortably stand and turn around but not much bigger.  Its meant to simulate a den. When used properly, it gives the dog a safe place to rest or retreat.  Janelle isn't doing it right at all.  The crates were too small. While we didn't see it, I also suspect the dogs aren't getting enough exercise.  Huskys need to run.  A lot.  Maybe even more than Jack Russell's need to run.  Rotties need a ton of exercise too but they aren't as enthusiastic about it.  When you have two high exercise needs, smart dogs; they tend to release their frustration by ignoring training.  Like eliminating indoors and chewing.

Janelle needs a dumb, lazy dog.  I suppose she *kinda* has one of those too.

• Love 2

Personally I don't use a crate for my dog unless we are traveling. And he haaaaaaates it. Always has, and he's 10 now. I think he was traumatized as a puppy before I got him by being cooped up. But I will never know, since all I was told was he came from a hoarder. I really don't understand the mindset of having a dog (any dog) and then shoving it in a cage for its whole life. Or a garage. Basically just not paying attention to it at all. Why even bother? You miss out on so much!

• Love 2

We put our chihuahuas in kennels (which are more than big enough for them to turn around in and have soft bedding and blankets in them) when we're at work (which with our schedules is no more than 6 hrs at a time before one of us gets home) or we're gone running errands, etc. The rest of the time the chihuahuas hang out with us in our home and even sleep in our bed at night. We leave the kennel doors open and sometimes they'll get tired or sick of one another or whatever and go in their kennels to sleep. We never put them in their kennels as punishment. They see them as their little own little "caves" and get in them when we say "go get in your house."

A friend's house was burglarized and the burglars left the doors open when they left. Her dog was free in the home and got out, and thankfully was found down the street. We live by a busy intersection and our dogs would be gone in a minute in a similar situation. Ever since then, we did "crate training" and have put them in their kennels when we leave. Sometimes we also kennel them when friends come over who don't like dogs or have small children that don't understand chihuahuas are small and fragile.

Their kennels are also in our living room, where there's a/c in the summer and heat in the winter. I live in the south and cannot imagine leaving animals (let alone a hairy husky who was bred for cold weather) in a hot garage. Shame on Jenelle and Nathan.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 4

I'm not a dog owner so help me out.

Is the goal to get the biggest dog you can find, a Husky, a Rotweiller or whatever and then just shove it in a cage? What's the point of these cages? We saw Janelle use her cage as a punishment for the dog and Kail stuck her dogs in a cage when she was going out to Walmart or wherever. Why get a dog just to coop it up? It seems cruel to the dogs to me.

I don't have a dog because I live in NYC and I don't see the fairness in leaving a dog in some brownstone all day. These girls have big yards so why the cages? And the cages look small.

Is this normal?

I've had dogs forever and hate those damn cages. Hamsters belong in cages, not dogs. If you take the time and patience to train your dogs, there's no need to cage them.

I think they should be outlawed for dogs. I think they're cruel.

So much for going by Ali's wishes that Sissy NOT ride her rented wheelchair!

Interview with Leah:

And Ali has a loaner wheelchair!
She loves it! She will ride it until the battery is dead, and after we charge it, she'll ride it again. Seeing her feel so free and so happy just lights my world. And I let Aleeah ride it so she doesn't feel left out. Jeremy and I told her we're going to get her a four-wheeler or something so she can go fast too, with her sissy.

http://bostonherald.com/inside_track/celebrity_news/2014/08/teen_mom_2s_leah_spinning_out_of_control

I just want to chime in and agree with the posters above that said that Janelle is not at all using those crates correctly. I have had dogs all of my life and started using a crate almost 20 years ago and it is a good thing but must be used properly. Crates are not for punishment and must be done within guidelines. My dogs only crate when I am not home because I don't want them getting into dangerous stuff (if your dog is super bored, you would be amazed at the trouble they can get into during a work day). My dogs have been trained with the crate from the moment they came into my house as puppies and they love their crates just like a teenager values their own space. This is how dogs feel when you properly crate train them. If someone's bratty kid comes over and my dog doesn't want to be bothered, he will hightail it to his crate (and I would not let the child follow him bc he wants to get away from the brat). I don't crate them at night (though some people opt to use it at night and that's fine). I am a big pushover and let them sleep in beds with their people. Not everyone is down with that but it is a personal choice. I also use a crate when we travel and stay in a hotel or a rental because I cannot be 100% sure the home is secure and I wouldn't want a maid or someone coming in and my dog getting out and lost. (Although I always use DO NOT DISTURB when my dogs are traveling with me). 
The last use of the crate, for my large Boxer (80 pounds) is when he travels long distances in the car. Although my small dogs can just sit in the backseat with my kids, the Boxer is not really comfortable unless he is in the crate in the rear of my SUV. Keeping his balance as we turn and stuff can be difficult bc he is larger and doesn't really have a ton of balance for car movement. In his crate he can move around and fully turn around, stand if he wants but he is contained and he won't go flying if God forbid, we had to brake suddenly. They all have nice fluffy beds in their crates so they are super comfy. 
Also, none of my dogs are the sort to spend an entire day outdoors- they have the smushed snouts and cannot tolerate weather extremes so being outside in a pen is not an option. For this reason I would never put my crates into my garage either. It gets really hot in a garage in the summer and really cold in there in the winter and I would never do that to my dogs. As big as Janelle's house is, there is room for proper sized crates to be within the air conditioned part of the house. If you don't want to have a dog in your house, then they shouldn't have gotten a dog in the first place but we are talking about a chick that just gave away her child like yesterday's newspaper so I guess we are expecting too much for her to care about her dogs. 

• Love 5

Leah probably had to have the rest of her hair cut off due to extreme damage.  What's there is probably all that remains that wasn't fried to death.  I know Chelsea also loves to dye her hair every other day, but since she works in the business she probably knows you have to condition the hell out of your hair if you're going to constantly dye it.

• Love 3

So if Leah is constantly stressed out about money, why in the name of all that is holy did she have to drop nearly four grand on that Rolls Royce washer and dryer combo?  You can buy perfectly functional washers & dryers for a fraction of that, and save even more money buying used.

Just because real estate is inexpensive in some parts of the country, why go ape-shit buying shiny new vehicles and appliances when you're just starting out?  I'm talking to you, too, Jenelle and Kail.

So if Leah is constantly stressed out about money, why in the name of all that is holy did she have to drop nearly four grand on that Rolls Royce washer and dryer combo?  You can buy perfectly functional washers & dryers for a fraction of that, and save even more money buying used.

Just because real estate is inexpensive in some parts of the country, why go ape-shit buying shiny new vehicles and appliances when you're just starting out?  I'm talking to you, too, Jenelle and Kail.

I think they are all guilty.  Chelsea has a new big 4 bedroom house and shiny new appliances.  Why does she need THAT big of a house??

• Love 1

I have to give it to Chelsea though, even in a tank and jeans she looks way better than Leah. That girl looks 42.

And I hope she's learned a lesson with her hair, Either leave it alone or condition the hell out of it.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 2

Who does Chelsea need to impress? The viewers? Dr. Drew? Someone in particular? It's a reunion show, not a funeral or church.

I think they all look great except for Leah. Of course after the show, Jenelle  probably washed off those drawn-in eyebrows and put all that liner back on her eyes.

• Love 1

I can't believe how in only a few short years Leah has gone from dried out crunchy Duggar curls to dried out dead ends and Uneven layers. I can't even blame it on the stress of speaking with Ali's condition. That mess she's left with on her head is all due to trying to keep her position as the town hottie. Dyes, clip-ins, curling irons, flat irons and what we already know is a diet laced with Mountain Dew and Cheetos dust.

She looks like the "before" in a Wen commercial.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 8

I think they are all guilty.  Chelsea has a new big 4 bedroom house and shiny new appliances.  Why does she need THAT big of a house??

The difference is that Chelsea's father likely ensured that her MTV money was wisely saved and invested so she could afford to take advantage of the real estate market and buy a nice house. She needs at least two bedrooms for Aubree and herself, has a roommate who helps with the expenses of said house, and therefore needs a room, and also has a guest room-slash-playroom-slash-do makeup and hair for extra money at home for the kid or friends who sleep over. It is normal to get new appliances when you get a new home. She was probably able to make an impressive downpayment with her MTV cash so the monthly mortgage payment is reasonable, so why not invest in a house instead of giving some landlord her money? Good for her, I say.

Leah, however, is admittedly struggling financially in large part because of Goggles' medical expenses and got into a big fight with Germy about money and her tendency to spend recklessly. She also said she has spending issues. With three small girlses, one of whom has issues, Leah needs to be prepared for the rainy days and the time when that money isn't coming in. She doesn't have the safety net that Chelsea has with a father who is at the least very well off and perhaps kind of rich.

Edited by politichick
  • Love 4

I'm pretty sure MTV doesn't enforce a dress code for these girls. Or any of their guests, for that matter. I think what Chelsea was wearing was probably completely appropriate for whatever they were doing after that pic was taken. You don't need to be dressed to the nines for an interview.

Someone needs to get Leah to the wardrobe department, STAT! She looks terrible. The dress is unflattering and the color does nothing for her. Jenelle (gag) and Kail both look good.

• Love 2

Leah definitely looks like ten miles of bad road. The fuck was Jeremy thinking???

He could have gotten all he wanted out of Leah without marrying her and certainly without adding another baby to that shit show.

Perhaps Robbie is still in town. He should stop being so selfish and give seminars on how to avoid pussy traps laid by the likes of Leah.

Maybe demonstrations on how to double wrap on a condom. Or how not to be mesmerized by the multi colored hair.

What has how Leah looks got to do with her situation, her parenting, her work or her as a person? We all have been through times we had hairstyle or wore clothes that we loved but didn't truly flatter us, surely? What makes her so unworthy of a long-term partner? Evidently if he asked her to marry him so he wasn't just looking for a physical relationship.

It takes two to make a baby- two. If a man won't wear a condom he's an idiot. If he double wraps he's an idiot (increases breakages, in case you were unaware). If you don't want a baby and you're not using at least one type of protection you're an idiot. I don't believe that any significant percentage of women lay 'pussy traps' for men and find it truly offensive that others do. Who are generally the ones who get left holding the baby (as 16 and pregnant has repeatedly shown us)- the women! Why would someone try to set up that situation for themselves? I'm sure child support doesn't come close to truly covering the cost of a child/ren.

Personally, I think we've seen some tremendous growth and growth in all of the girls over the past 5 seasons (plus 16 and pregnant).

Edited by Mya Stone
  • Love 7

"The Teen Mom 2 cast just got back from NYC where they filmed the Dr. Drew reunion this past weekend," a source close to the MTV production reports.

“While Chelsea Houska didn’t fight directly with [Lind], he did get into a fight with Chelsea’s dad Randy ... They argued about his Corvette crash.”

Adam had his two cents to throw in, too, slamming Randy and Chelsea for bashing him in front of Aubree, which he feels is a recurring, serious issue.

“They talk crap about him in front of Aubree,” the source said. “Chelsea calls Adam a ‘piece of s--t father’ right in front of Aubree while talking to her dad.”

Fortunately, sources say that Adam and Randy got the fighting out of their system and ended things more amicably after that ... but still. Sounds ugly.

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2014/09/adam-lind-chelsea-and-randy-houska-clash-at-teen-mom-2-reunion-t/#ixzz3CImb3UmL

I can't believe how in only a few short years Leah has gone from dried out crunchy Duggar curls to dried out dead ends and Uneven layers. I can't even blame it on the stress of speaking with Ali's condition. That mess she's left with on her head is all due to trying to keep her position as the town hottie. Dyes, clip-ins, curling irons, flat irons and what we already know is a diet laced with Mountain Dew and Cheetos dust.

She looks like the "before" in a Wen commercial.

It's funny you say that because I think Leah and Jinger Duggar look like twins.

According to her twitter, the girls' kittens "didn't make it" so now Leah's looking for a purebred kitten (or 2?) to replace them. People are telling her to go to a shelter but she wants a certain 'look.'

Didn't make it???? I hope she's corrected whatever problem killed the first two. Kittens don't generally up and die for no reason. Why does this girl keep bringing new responsibilities into her life when she seems overwhelmed by what she already has to handle? Or maybe I'm being too generous and once she gets the kittens they'll be fending for themselves.

Edited by animalnurse
  • Love 4
Why would someone try to set up that situation for themselves?

Simple. To keep that dick for themselves. How many times have these 16 & Pregnant girls mentioned, "I thought he would change after the baby came"?  Apparently these girlses (tm Leah) are trying to keep the guys attached to them. They use the baby as a bargaining tool when shit hits the fan..."You won't see your baby!" These girls can't see next week, much less next year. As if these girls have any idea about what will happen when - not if - when the guy leaves them high and dry and they are stuck with tending to these babies. Of course these girls don't look ahead and most certainly they are not thinking about child support because they are too busy thinking having a baby will keep the guy around long enough for him to change his ways.

How long before Leah tweets about the horse, "didn't make it"?

Personally, I think we've seen some tremendous growth and growth in all of the girls over the past 5 seasons (plus 16 and pregnant).

Got that right. Growth as in extended bellies from some of the girls being pregnant again. How many of these girls have gone on to have another baby since their 16 & Pregnant episodes? Rhetorical question.

• Love 2

I wonder why no one's looking at Gracie to ask why those kittens didn't make it? She seems like the type that might mess with the family pets, and kittens definitely aren't as durable or willing to fight back as an adult cat would. And Leah needing a cat with a certain "look"? What the fuck? It's a cat! Shelters have all kinds, she needs to go look at some before insisting she needs some purebred animal for her kids to chase and torture. Ugh. I second whoever mentioned the horse(s). It's only a matter of time there, too.

• Love 1

I'm from a wealthy american family. My mother and I are 17 years apart in age. I don't believe teen pregnancy is insulated by money but I do believe it's hidden more often. For example, I call my grandmother by her first name. I would be introduced as 'the youngest member of the family' leaving my parentage ambiguous.

• Love 1

Sometimes I don't watch this show for a while, and then for whatever reason I'm drawn back to it and it begins with something like Janelle saying "Ever since Nathan's been in jail..." and I weep for our future.

Also, Chelsea appears to have gotten less tacky, but she seems to have transferred that excess tackiness to Leah, so at least the show's maintaining equilibrium.  

I don't believe there is any intention to get pregnant.

Allow me to interject my opinion here. I wholeheartedly disagree. My previous job allowed me the opportunity to help mothers sign up for certain programs available in our county. Many, and I mean, many of them were teen mothers. Upon moving to a different department, I was then more involved with gathering info from these teen girls about their circumstances. Sadly, too many of these girls wanted to become pregnant in order to keep their boyfriend and also, to leave their home life.  Their responses as to why they didn't prevent pregnancy were almost the same - they wanted that family with the child's father.

I think that saying "I thought he would change after the baby came?" means they were terrified about being pregnant to someone that they don't truly believe would stick around and do the right thing but had convinced themselves that things would magically be different for them- understandable simple teenage self-delusion/naivety.

In a lot of cases, the young girls thought by bringing a baby into the relationship, that would be an incentive for the father to be a better person, drop a drug problem, get a decent job, etc. It is not necessarily that they thought the guy would abandon them or they had fear of losing the guy.   The girls knew their guy was not perfect, but they had the belief that love and baby will conquer all. Delusional thinking of course, something that is not strictly a teen problem as adults fall into that kind of thinking as well.

I think they completely understand what will happen if they are left high and dry, as a disproportionate number of them come from homes where this has been the case with their parents.

Again, I disagree. The girls I just mentioned above, were involving themselves in the programs through my work because they needed to finish school, find daycare, get assistance with filing for child support and in some cases, the need for welfare and food stamps (EBT), finding part-time jobs, getting help with various other issues that they did NOT foresee because they thought their boyfriend would change their ways and become the guy they thought he could be. They assumed the guy would "take care of them".  Plenty of the girls came from upper and middle class homes. Plenty came from two-parent homes where welfare was non-existent.

The belief that teen pregnancy only happens to a certain group of girls, is a myth. As for the girls I met at my work, who did come from those homes where the cycle was being repeated with the next generation, the girls stated they thought "things would be different" for them. They thought their child's father would remain by their side. They had hoped things would be different for them, unlike what happened to their own mothers. It is that mentality, "That won't happen to me".  Young people are known for making decisions without much thought. It is called acting on impulse. They don't always see the future no matter how many examples lay right out in front of them. Their minds are not fully developed.

Returning to the topic of the girls on this show, it is clear to me, just watching how they continue to make choices that benefit themselves, they don't always consider their futures.  Watching Leah blow through her money, she is definitely not thinking long-term. She is not thinking about the future. She is thinking of the here and now. This is the same pattern she has shown since day one. She once cried and whine about the struggles of dealing with a newborn while tending to her twin daughters. She did not bother to think when she had that miscarriage, that perhaps she better get herself on some better birth control and work harder at not becoming pregnant again. What does she do? She becomes pregnant two months later. 

Edited by SPLAIN
  • Love 4

I was 18 when I got pregnant with my first child, got married and had the baby 2 days after my 19th birthday. I went on to have two more kids in the next 3 years. I had 3 under 5, and a husband that was mostly unemployed during the 8 years we were together. I worked two jobs, paid for daycare and our other expenses by working my ass off. I went to school, finished, got my RN and when I realized my ex was never going to "figure things out" I got the hell out of there and moved in with my life. I would love to see any of these teen moms buck up and stop complaining about the choices they have made. Chelsea is the only one out of the bunch that went to school, finished and now has a real job. Leah, Kail and Janelle have all done the whole "I going to school for..." and never finished. I think about all of the opportunities that they have had, including the MTV money, and it just makes me sick that they have squandered it all! They all seem lazy, self-centered and entitled and MTV has facilitated all of it. Makes me so sad for their kids. They are never going to learn how to work hard for what they have. It's crazy.

Edited because apparently I could not spell complaining. :-)

Edited by sunflowers83823
  • Love 3

I agree. I know MTV likes to spin this show as a cautionary tale for teens, but all it really does is prove that if you get knocked up before you finish high school you can contact them and possibly have a free ride for the next 5-10 years. Young girls act as though these chicks are Kim Kardashian....who also never really did anything special to become famous. But anyway, all this show basically does is reward bad decisions. To me it really seems like Chelsea is the best out of ALL of the TM franchise, including Maci. I think that Chelsea and Farrah are probably the only TM's who won't struggle in the future. Farrah may be questionable on many levels, but she did manage to make herself some good money. She'll be fine, even if she's batshit. And Chelsea is the only one who's finished school, has a career, and is seeming to be moving forward in life.

• Love 4

Yes, Chelsea is doing a great job. I give her props. The other one I admire is the young lady from Teen Mom 3, Katie Yeager. She recently revealed her relationship with her ex, Joey, was not only emotionally abusive, but physically abusive as well. So glad she did not fall into the pit of that cycle of abuse. She also recently mentioned she just received full custody of their child and will now go live in Nevada. What is not clear is whether Joey gave up his rights or the courts took his rights away.

• Love 2

I too think Gracie most likely had something to do with the two kittens who "did notmake it"/ As a cat lover and mom to two beautiful rescues I cringe at the thought of pets around that girl.

Yeah. I don't think Gracie is necessarily malicious, but I do think that neither of her parents have taught her how to behave with a kitten, cat, puppy, or pretty much any pet whatsoever. She's one of those little kids who should probably only have supervised animal time until she's old enough to get it that these creatures are living, breathing, beings that can feel pain and die. If Leah doesn't have time for that she doesn't have time for pets. Plain and simple. Go ride her damn horse.

• Love 1

I had my first baby at 17, my second at 19 and was widowed when my youngest was 2 months old. I had no family help. We lived in a very bad motel for a long time until the survivor benefits kicked in.

I became a dog trainer and groomer and carved out a decent life for my and my kids. It was hard as hell but I did it.

I made to much to qualify for medical assistance but not enough to actually pay for it so it came down to me or the kids. They now have beautiful teeth while mine are crumbling. They want to pay to fix mine now but I won't let them. Sometimes in the beginning, we didn't have a lot of money for food, they always ate, I didn't sometimes. They never knew that then though.

Like I said, I had no help. I was never able to be too "stressed out" to take care of my kids because there was nobody else.

And ya know, I never whined and complained as much as these girls do.

I was very open with my kids about sex and birth control. My daughter didn't have her first baby until she was in her mid 20s and in a long term stable relationship. My son is 28, in a long term relationship and has no kids yet. Its possible to break the cycle.

Seeing these girls blow through the money they've been given pisses me off. They've been given an opportunity that most teen moms don't get, to really be able to secure a decent future for themselves and they blow it all.

They could be banking and investing this money. Aside from Chelsea, none of them will have a penny after this show is over, nor will they have anything to show for their money in five years except for some bad tattoos. Aside from her, none of them have even invested in a home.

My and my kids lives would have been so different if I'd been given the money these girls have.

These girls have no idea what real stress and struggle is all about.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 8

Has there been any indication about the season finale yet? I kind of half assed it with last night's episode so I didn't catch any of next week's previews or anything. All I really noticed was Jenelle didn't leave her bed (except to get Jace once) and Leah cried about her custody battle a lot. But we didn't actually get any details as to what dirt Corey has on her. Unless there were and I missed it..