Type keyword(s) to search

I Am Mother (2019)

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

A teenage girl is raised by a robot designed to repopulate Earth. Their bond is tested when a stranger arrives with alarming news.

This was interesting. The three actresses did an excellent job. 

3 hours ago, jcin617 said:

I wasn’t quite sure what to make of the ending... with Mother’s cryptic comment to the Woman about having a purpose...

From what I’ve read,  Mother orchestrated everything, including allowing the woman to come into the bunker to make the daughter curious and suspicious. But once the daughter saw the outside world, she returned to raise her brother and the rest of the embryos. Daughter thought it was her decision, but it’s what Mother wanted her to do all along. 

Oh, and Mother killed Hilary Swank at the end, telling her that her purpose was finished. 

The cast was great. Ending wasn’t totally satisfying, but the premise was interesting. 

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, SWLinPHX said:

All in all do you think Mother was a good mother?

No. She was good to Daughter, but she killed her other kids if they didn’t pass the exams. 

(edited)

It's a philosophical question whether you can ascribe "good" or "bad" to the actions of an AI thinking logically.    Although I think based on Mother's lessons (the doctor/patient/organ question) she would definitely argue she was acting in the best interests of humanity as a whole (the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the one, and all that).

I'm going to hazard a guess though that while she was rebuilding the Earth for Daughter and the others to come, I would not be surprised if she remained an ever-present figure to ensure humanity followed whatever path she deemed appropriate.   Basically she had deduced Asimov's Zeroth Law of robotics, taking the logical conclusion of the Three Laws that human life itself must be protected above an individual's life.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 2