Type keyword(s) to search

Which Podcasts Fuel Your Listening Pleasure?

sdpfeiffy
  • Start Topic

I recently stumbled across the BBC podcast The Curious Cases of Rutherford & Fry and I am quite enjoying it. The episodes are pretty short, sometimes with experts or experiments, and with a lot of silly joking around. I think because they are both academics  (Hannah Fry is a mathematics professor and Adam Rutherford is a geneticist) the silliness does not overwhelm the content for me. (I abandoned another podcast that I always hoped would be interesting because the silliness was not supported by any expertise and just felt dull and self-indulgent.)

• Love 1

I have to say I’m really loving The Deep Dive with June Diane Raphael and Jessica St. Clair. It really runs the gamut in terms of topics and they have on some great guests. It’s honestly a very empowering podcast and reminds me of some of the conversational deep dives I have with my own group of friends.

• Like 2

Does anyone know when Scientology fair game is coming back. It was supposed to return in August and there is absolutely nothing online about when it is going to be back. Not even a word that I could see from Leah Remini on Facebook or any other platform this is very strange I believe.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

A podcast that I recently started listening go but which I think would be of particular interest to people on this forum is Ken Reid's TV Guidance Counselor podcast. It's been going for around 10 years now, and every show Ken invites a guest on and gives them a copy of a TV Guide from his personal collection, and they go day by day and say what shows they would be watching on that day. A real nostalgia trip, and Ken frequently has a shocking amount of information about obscure shows and episodes and inside information about things. A lot of "Oh yes, I can totally send you that episode of Manimal after we record." and "Yeah, I met [obscure 80's actor] on a gig years later and he was [really cool/a real dick]". 
http://tvguidancecounselor.com/

• Like 1

I am just getting back into podcasts. I like all types. I am currently loving the true-crime podcasts Buried Bones and Tenfold More Wicked. They deal more so with old to very old crimes.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:55 AM, SVNBob said:

A podcast I forgot to mention when it first dropped back in June:

World's Greatest Con.

Brian Brushwood, professional magician, YouTuber and host of other podcasts, takes a deep-dive into some of the greatest "con jobs" in history.  The first season is all about Operation: Mincemeat.  But it's not just a dry telling of the facts.  There's personal anecdotes that relate to the story, comparisons to the principles of stage magic, other clever allusions to explain details, and lots of quality production.

It is only the one season thus far, and only 5.5 episodes long (the .5 is the teaser, and the 5th episode is a Q&A/commentary show about the previous 4 episodes).  But at a total running time of around 5 hours, it's entirely bingeable within a day.

On 3/7/2022 at 1:48 AM, SVNBob said:

Quoting myself because Season 2 has begun.

This season is a little different.  Instead of all the episodes being about the same story, this season is all about cheating scandals on game shows, with each episode looking at a different one.  First episode is about the grand-daddy quiz show cheating scandal on Twenty-One.  Second is about Michael Larson. the infamous Press Your Luck "cheater".

Self-quoting again, because Season 3 has started.

They're going back to the format of the first season, with all the episodes being about a single story.  But this time, they're telling the story of "Project Alpha"; the story of two teenage boys, with some help from James Randi, convincing the McDonnell Laboratory for Psychical Research that they were actual psychics.  Even though they had as much psychic power as Uri Gellar; IE, none.  And since the two boys were teens in the early 80s, they're still around.  In fact, one is now stage magician Banachek  So there's interviews with both of them peppered throughout the series.

The first three episodes are up (#3 dropped earlier today, so I haven't listened to it yet).  And the first one is more prologue, talking about the zeitgeist of the late '70s and early '80s to give context as to why this con could have happened.  This includes audio of Uri Gellar's appearance on the Tonight Show, where Johnny (and Randi) had made sure he couldn't pull any of his usual tricks.

Can anyone recommend a pod of listener-submitted scary stories (like presumably true ones, paranormal OK, but I mean more like non-para). I like Radio Rental a lot, and Disturbed is OK, but some of the voice actors are so annoying and the submissions are often very poorly worded. 

• Like 1

Enjoying Under Cover of Knight:

In 1996, Sue Knight was found dead in her Athens, TX, home. Her will named a loose acquaintance as the executor of her estate, but after an alleged phone call from the CIA and a dire warning from the local sheriff, the executor stopped asking questions. More than 25 years later, Sue’s memory haunts the town of Athens and the people who knew her. Who was Sue, really? Why did this English expat settle in small-town Texas? And could she still be alive?

• Like 1
On 4/27/2023 at 2:28 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Can anyone recommend a pod of listener-submitted scary stories (like presumably true ones, paranormal OK, but I mean more like non-para). I like Radio Rental a lot, and Disturbed is OK, but some of the voice actors are so annoying and the submissions are often very poorly worded. 

Inhuman:  A True Crime Podcast is pretty good

I've been listening to a coupled hyped celebrity hosted podcasts. I got into Smartless very late so I listened to a bunch. They were okay based mainly on the guests. Made me realize more than ever that Jason Bateman is a true nepo baby who is out of touch with the world. I like Sean Hayes more now though.

I listened to Strike Force Five with the late night hosts and it's one of my better new podcasts I've listened to in a long time. Like a lot of people, I loved the Strike Force Wives episodes and game. It was funny how badly Fallon made that game. Loved them roasting him on it while being really wholesome about their wives and families. I also love the story about Stephen's mom having dated a Nicaraguan dictator ("Poor Tacho") and how Stephen now has his pants. It's too bad the show is over and I really hope they do occasional specials for charity and bring Conan on.

• Like 3

if anyone stopped listening to Opening Arguments because of the dispute between Andrew Torres and Thomas Smith, Smith has retaken over the podcast and Torres is out.