Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
sdpfeiffy

Which Podcasts Fuel Your Listening Pleasure?

On 6/2/2019 at 8:27 AM, Fukui San said:

I’ve started listening to a new to me movie podcast Blank Check With Griffin and David.  Griffin is Griffin Newman of The Tick. They choose a director and devote one episode to each film in their filmography, good and bad, in exhaustive but still fun detail. They exalt over the good movies and skewer the bad one should. 

So if you ever wanted someone to discuss The Wedding Banquet, Sense& Sensibility, AND The Hulk this is your podcast. Directors done so far include Spielberg, Warchowski sibs, Shyamalan, and Tim Burton. Occasionally they have off format episodes discussing random movies, like having the screenwriters of Detective Pikachu on for a fascinating look at how the Pokesausage was made. 

This one is actually pretty cool. I downloaded the episode for my favourite movie (Pee Wee's Big Adventure) and I like that they did a deep dive into the making of the movie to the point that the podcast is longer than the actual movie. Although I thought they could have gone deeper (they hardly talked about Phil Hartman's contribution at all) and they spent a bunch of time talking about other hits of 1985, but I still liked it, because where else am I gonna hear people talk about how awesome Pee Wee's Big Adventure is.

Now I am downloading the episode for the movie that I would tell someone I don't really know is my favourite movie (Almost Famous).

I just finished To Live and Die in LA.  It's a true crime podcast.  Very interesting.  I listened to the whole thing in 2 days because I found it so interesting.  

• Like 1

Justin Long has a podcast now, called Life is Short. I'm not a particular fan of his, so haven't listened to them all, but he had Anna Chlumsky on last week, and she's so charming and funny. It's also really interesting to hear her talk about being a child star, and struggling to transition that into adulthood.

I've also found Business Wars pretty interesting. So far, I've only listened to the Netflix vs. Blockbuster series (which also focuses on HBO's development from a tiny service offering low grade movies to the behemoth of quality it's seen as today), and it manages to be informative without ever getting bogged down in the intricacies of business dealings.

On 6/30/2019 at 7:25 AM, Danny Franks said:

I've also found Business Wars pretty interesting. So far, I've only listened to the Netflix vs. Blockbuster series (which also focuses on HBO's development from a tiny service offering low grade movies to the behemoth of quality it's seen as today), and it manages to be informative without ever getting bogged down in the intricacies of business dealings.

Have you also given Household Name a shot?  It's similarly an entree into business that doesn't suffer from being TOO focused on the numbers or intricacies.  They use the theme "names you know" and run from there--making the telling more like a story rather than a lesson in a business class.

On 3/26/2019 at 2:12 AM, Danny Franks said:

Honestly, two of my favourite episodes of HWTGM are the Con Air and Face Off ones - Two movies that were very successful, and are well known and well loved by a lot of people, but they're still batshit crazy and of extremely dubious artistic merit. Having Nicholas Cage involved clearly helps with the craziness.

I love the Con Air episode! I love that Jason just keeps defending the movie.

I just started listening to Confronting OJ Simpson by Kim Goldman. Pretty interesting. The first episode got me with the way her and her father talked about Ron. 

• Sad 1

Today's episode of How Did This Get Made? is an instant classic.  Jason and June really and legitimately loved Drop Dead Fred, while Paul and guest Casey Wilson hated it. They go at it with the intensity of a courtroom drama.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Today's episode of How Did This Get Made? is an instant classic.  Jason and June really and legitimately loved Drop Dead Fred, while Paul and guest Casey Wilson hated it. They go at it with the intensity of a courtroom drama.

I actually found it exhausting.

• Like 1

Two that I would recommend:

The Shrink Next Door- about a patient and his psychiatrist and how things went down a bizarre path. A real lesson in trust and how things aren't always as they seem.

The Clearing- A daughter suspects her father of more than one murder. She remembers things from her childhood and goes digging on the internet to find unsolved cases near places they lived. 

• Like 2

On 8/2/2019 at 9:33 AM, Fukui San said:

I also loved it but I really love the episodes where June gets riled up and Casey was a great foil to Jason.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 6:33 AM, Fukui San said:

#TeamSanity!

• Like 2

On 3/2/2019 at 4:46 PM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

True Crime Garage is another good one although it's based off of publicly available information so it's more of a background noise podcast for me. I also liked The Dream (podcast about MLMs)

Just finished listening to The Dream on your recommendation. Thanks for that.

And now that The Clearing is wrapping up next week might give True Crime Garage or The Vanished a shot. I can only do one true crime at a time - I start getting the facts mixed or the sadness of it all starts weighing on me.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 7:25 AM, Danny Franks said:

I like that one. I listened to the whole Budweiser vs Miller series. The only thing that bugs me is that I am pretty sure that all the reenactment voices (even the voices of women) are done by the same person (the host I think). The problem is he doesn't have that good a variety of voices he can do.

My recent favorite podcast is Science Rules! with Bill Nye. Highly recommend it if you're a fan of his or interested in scientific topics. They usually have people submit questions on a topic (ie, climate change) and he has an expert on who answers. 

I enjoyed David Tennat Does A Podcast With as well, so hoping a second season comes out soon. Some episodes are better than others, but overall I enjoy him.

I haven't had a chance to listen to The Bake Down with a couple of contestants from Great British Bake Off, but I'm excited to start it. 

Depending on the guest, I'll listen to Armchair Expert, Justin Long, or Anna Faris. 

Other than that, my playlists are heavily NPR and podcasts for my children (Wow In the World, Brains On, Story Pirates, etc). 

I started listening Limetown after reading this thread yesterday, and I'm wondering- is there a definite resolution/answer? I don't want spoilers, just to know I'm not going to waste my time for something that's going to leave me hanging. 

Also I saw there's a prequel book coming out soon. I might be interested in reading it when I finish listening (which won't take too long).

Lately I have been listening a lot to BBC's 50 Things That Made The Modern Economy. They are short episodes about 10 minutes each. Each one focuses on a different invention or discovery and how it changed the world. It sounds boring but I like it. Things like barbed wire, insurance, concrete, and the Billy Bookcase. 

Also been getting more into Business Wars. Listening to the WWF vs WCW one. It is good, but when you know what the real people involved are supposed to sound like (like Vince McMahon, Ted Turner and Hulk Hogan) it make it even more obvious that the guy doing the voices only knows how to do 3 difgerent voices. Ted Turner sounds like everyone else just with a Southern twang, and Hulk Hogan just says Brother a lot.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

9 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

and Hulk Hogan just says Brother a lot.

I fail to see the problem here.

7 hours ago, SVNBob said:

I fail to see the problem here.

Hogan does say brother a lot. But you can't talk in your normal voice and say brother a lot and call it a Hulk Hogan impression.

@Jenniferbug, Limetown, as best I remember doesn't end on a cliffhanger and resolves most of the questions. They probably left the door open for more but it was definitely an end. The tv version is supposed to be on somewhere in October, according to Wikipedia.

• Useful 1

My favorite podcast of the last five/six years has been Answer Me This. It's a couple of Brits answering questions sent in by their listeners from around the world.  Their observations are cheeky and clever. Unfortunately the hosts of the podcast only broadcast one new episode every month these days.  It used to be once a week.  The show has been on for like ten years though, so there's a treasure trove of episodes.

For news and current events I listen to Chris Hayes' Why Is This Happening?, Center for Investigative Reporting's Reveal, ProPublica's Trump Inc., and New York Times' The Daily.

Of course I loved the first season of Serial (I was a big This American Life listener back in the day); but I've found the third season to be difficult to get through. It's just so infuriating the things that Sarah witnesses in the Cuyahoga county justice system.

Two other good non-fiction podcasts are Planet Money and How I Built This

Finally, if anyone wants a good guilty pleasure fictional story to listen to, I recommend Gossip.  As far as I know, there's only one season, but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

• Like 1

I finished Limetown. The second season was a letdown compared to the first. It doesn't sound like they're planning to do any more.

I binge listened to The Deca Tapes yesterday. It was amazing. If you like murder mysteries with a dash of sci fi thrown in, listen to it. I wish there were more than 8 episodes because I wanted more depth, like other characters reactions to some events. I think it would make a pretty good book, which would allow for shifting viewpoints between chapters. Dying for people to talk to about it so let me know if you've listened! 

I started Marsfall today and am liking it so far. It is definitely straight sci fi and the voice acting is sometimes a bit shaky, but it is well written and interesting. I think they are planning to do a season 3. 

If anyone has other audio drama/comedy suggestions, I'd love to hear them! I don't particularly like horror or zombies but am ok with a little creepiness. I'd love to find something similar to the radio show Cabin Pressure but haven't stumbled upon anything so far. 

For the life of me, I do not get the appeal of true crime podcasts. Or TV shows. I don't understand why people want to dwell on the tragedies of murders/rapes/assaults, solved or otherwise, diving into every possible detail. It just seems grimy to me, yet they're easily the most popular genre of podcast, and pop up all the time when I'm browsing for new stuff to listen to.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I don't understand why people want to dwell on the tragedies of murders/rapes/assaults, solved or otherwise, diving into every possible detail.

It's not the tragedies themselves for me, but the catharsis of getting an answer. I won't watch any unsolved mystery type shows; those just chafe. I enjoy following the minutia of detective work and seeing how the techniques of forensic science helped (or didn't) track down the perpetrators. Crime shows present an extremely tidy morality tale with some satisfying justice thrown in.

I also read and watch a lot of fictional content in the mystery and detective genre for the same reasons. In addition, those tend to be series and I really like settling into familiar worlds and spending time with well-loved characters. Many fictional detectives these days have the obligatory dark or tortured side, but they're generally presented as being on the side of good and sometimes even noble.

• Like 8

I can't believe I didn't know You Must Remember This is coming back until today! I have never been this excited about having a podcast come back before. 

On 10/18/2019 at 3:01 PM, pigs-in-space said:

I can't believe I didn't know You Must Remember This is coming back until today! I have never been this excited about having a podcast come back before. 

That's been on my 'I will listen to this some day' list for a long while now. I just haven't gotten around to it.

But Conan's podcast returned for a second season this month, with interviews with David Letterman and Tina Fey. I'm not a Letterman fan, but Tina Fey was really fun.

On 9/18/2019 at 3:03 PM, piccadilly83 said:

ProPublica's Trump Inc.

Trump, Inc. is good. It's good some serious reporting behind it peeling back all the financial nastiness tied to... that individual.

I still also often listen to Slate's Trumpcast: https://podbay.fm/podcast/1093260018

On 10/18/2019 at 10:01 AM, pigs-in-space said:

I started listening to that for the Song of the South miniseries. It is really good and incredibly well researched. Plus I love the host's way of speaking, it is super relaxing. And the way she says Zippedy Doo Dahh is hilarious. Although between that and the 1619 podcast I now know a lot more about minstrel shows than I ever expected I would.

And speaking of things that aren't well researched has anyone listened to the Alarmist. I found it on Stitcher and it was described as being about who was at fault when bad things happen. I thought it would be a well researched thing like Behind the Bastards or You Must Remember This. But it was the exact opposite. I tried the break up of the Beatles episode and it was all speculation, Wikipedia references and looking things up while talking. It wasn't good.