Type keyword(s) to search

Which Podcasts Fuel Your Listening Pleasure?

sdpfeiffy
  • Start Topic

My must listen podcasts (in listening order, which I only do at the gym or on the weekend or other chore-centered moments)

1. Pop Culture Happy Hour (NPR)

2. Extra Hot Great (the whole shebang.  I make myself wait until the weekend to listen to the minis as well as Tuesday's podcast. I am totally a crackpot!)

*3. The Moth

4. Stuff You Missed in History Class

5. Radiolab (selected episodes)

*6. Studio 360  (selected episodes)

7. Fresh Air (selected episodes)

8. BackStory

9. This American Life

10. Girl on Guy with Aisha Tyler

*These zoom right to #3 when a new podcast is available, which sadly is far too infrequently: The Tobolowsky Files, The Memory Palace, Talking With My Mouth Full, Lexicon Valley (Slate), Americon Icons episodes from Studio 360

Real talk: I never get completely caught up.  But from these lists, I’ve added Doug Loves Movies and Welcome to Night Vale.  I have other podcasts on my device, and I’d love to listen to them as well, but my listening time is limited.  Sometimes I delve into these when I have extra time: By the Way with Jeff Garlin, Ask Me Another.

I'm really enjoying Doug Loves Movies and Night Vale. Hoping to get suggestions for additions!

• Love 1

A few in no real order:

• Extra Hot Great : which due to my mumbling of what I was listening to, my wife refers to as "Wet Hot Gravy"
  • Dan Carlin's Hardcore History : these take me days to listen to and I feel all smart afterwards
  • Stuff Mom Never Told You : being a guy, mom told me none of this, but my friend is a host, so I enjoy it
  • Comic Vine Podcast : a very meandering journey through the current week's comics
  • Tech News Today : keeps me up to date on tech news so I can sound like I know what I am talking about at work

I did a massive clear out of my Downcast app when my phone ran out of room, so there used to be a lot more.

My list:

• The Bugle (John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman) - Hopefully John's new HBO show doesn't screw with the schedule too much.
  • Comedy Bang Bang
  • The Dissolve - Film podcast. Their game time-esque segment usually annoys me with their vague unprofessionalism, but otherwise good.
  • EHG
  • Firewall & Iceberg
  • The Flop House - Probably my favourite current podcast. Recently listened to all six years of their back catalogue, and there's rarely a bad one.
  • Go Bayside! - Saved By The Bell podcast. Occasionally repetitive (guests often observe the same things), but funny. Listen to the PFT episode.
  • House To Astonish - Comic book podcast. Scottish.
  • Jordan, Jesse GO! - Occasionally annoying, but often worth a listen.
  • The K Ohle - Varies from week to week, but Braunholer is funny.
  • Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film Reviews - BBC Film review show.
  • PCHH
  • Slate's Audio Book Club - Dan Kois and guests discuss a book a month. I need to catch up on my reading, I'm well behind the episodes.
  • Stop Podcasting Yourself - Canadian. Like JJGo, but better.
  • Thrilling Adventure Hour
  • Welcome To Night Vale

A few in no real order:

• Extra Hot Great : which due to my mumbling of what I was listening to, my wife refers to as "Wet Hot Gravy"
  • Dan Carlin's Hardcore History : these take me days to listen to and I feel all smart afterwards
  • Stuff Mom Never Told You : being a guy, mom told me none of this, but my friend is a host, so I enjoy it
  • Comic Vine Podcast : a very meandering journey through the current week's comics
  • Tech News Today : keeps me up to date on tech news so I can sound like I know what I am talking about at work

I did a massive clear out of my Downcast app when my phone ran out of room, so there used to be a lot more.

Wet Hot Gravy! love that.

And thanks for the Tech News Today link.  I should listen to that for the same reason.

Some I listen to that haven't been named yet (and I'm not going to link them; I'm on holidays, you have Google).

• Never Not Funny (comedians in conversation minus Marc Maron's blowhardiness)
  • Throwing Shade (comedic gay/feminist commentary from two former InfoMania hosts)
  • ...WTF With Marc Maron (only when the guest is someone I like enough to put up with Maron's bullshit)
  • You Made It Weird With Pete Holmes (...more comedians in conversation)
  • Love 2

A few more in the comedy vein.

• How Did This Get Made (Jason Mantzoukas, Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphel and usually a guest discuss - and spoil - bad or crazy movies)
  • Dining With Doug and Karen (Doug Benson and Karen Anderson a guest who's usually a comic and a chef who cooks them food to taste)
  • Bertcast's Podcast (Bert Kreischer and random comics in his "man cave" this one is often hit or miss for me and really depends on the guests) 
  • The Film Pigs (Stephen Falk, Steve Skelton and TV's Todd Robert Anderson discuss movies on a theme and play a game at the end) 

More podcasts need games at the end. I like to play along! 

• Love 1

I love podcast games.but then again I love all games. Game Show Week was awesome!

Thanks for the great suggestions. I am enjoying new stuff and unsubbing from stuff that just lays there accumulating episodes I'll never listen to.

Besides EHG and PCHH, I listen to How Did This Get Made? where they basically watch a terrible movie and then talk about it, and sometimes Who Charted? which is basically where they go over some charts (music, movies) and talk with the guest. That one is dependent on the guest, because I'm not sure how I feel about the hosts. 

I need more music related ones, but that's hard.

And speaking of Podcasts, does anyone else find that Podcasts, more than any other medium, creates you an illusion of intimacy as a listener? Like, I'm a perfectly healthy, well-adjusted grown-up, and I've got a good grasp on fantasy/media vs. reality, but I still feel like the EHG crew, Chris Hardwick, the PCHH folks, are my friends. I take illogical, inordinate pride in the ascension of Nerdist media, because I've been listening to the podcast from episode 1.

I know none of this is true rationally, I'm just a fan, but I still feel like Glen Weldon would recognize me if we ran into each other at a party.

• Love 5

Wait, do you mean Glen Weldon WOULDN'T recognize me at a party?

I agree, as I increase my podcast repertoire, the closer I feel to the people on it. I introduced my mom to a number of podcasts, and the way she talks to me about the PCHH crew cracks me up; I think she would love to sit down with them and just mother them all to death!

• Love 2

-- ITA with Tara's comment about Maron being hit or miss, based on the guest. I am sure he's a perfectly nice guy but I can only take REALLY small doses of him. 

-- I don't think anyone's mentioned "Filmspotting," which is a big household favorite (though I miss Matty Baseball as a host).  If any of you listen to it, my husband is the genius who coined the term "Brick."

-- Another vote here for "The Moth" which I tend to pile up so I can listen to it in a marathon if I want to ... but since the episodes are usually short, it is a great car-cast for shorter jaunts. Here's a link to my favorite story ever told on there, "Aunt Lilly's Teeth" by Boris Timanovsky http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89euLU5hDco

I need more music related ones, but that's hard.

Jonah Ray from Nerdist has a music podcast called Jonah Raydio. I haven't listened to it but I do like him, I think it would probably depend on your music taste but it may be worth checking out.

I love that podcasts are a thing now. I've been a huge talk radio fan all my life and having so much to choose from now as opposed to being "forced" to listen to whatever talk radio station I can pick up in my car while driving to work (120 miles total a day... eek) is a huge improvement in my life. I think with all talk format type shows you get to feel like you're friends with the hoasts but I am totally with @EricJ with the fact that I feel some sort of friend pride watching people like Chris Hardwick or Pete Holms become successful because it's like "I know that guy!" even though I don't, in fact, know that guy.

Great music podcast - Coverville

One of the longest running podcasts out there- he just passed 1000 episodes. About 90 minutes a week, all cover songs (except when he does an "Originalville" where he plays the original versions of songs mostly known as covers,) but he hits so many genres of music that if you listen for a few months you're almost guaranteed to discover an artist you want to hear more of.

EricJ - I agree about the illusion of intimacy. There are a group of podcasters that my wife and I have followed for years. We refer to them in conversations by first name as if they are our friends. We have met them a few times at events and then awkward reality sets in that they have no clue who we are at all.

How Did This Get Made is great.  If you watch The Leauge, and hate Andre and Rafi (I totally did) you should still try this one out.  and you get to waste time watching crappy movies while you're at it.  

Hollywood Babble On - I only rarely listen to Smodcast or Jay and Silent Bob Get Old anymore, but this show is good for a laugh every time.  Ralph Garman and Kevin Smith talking about Celebrities and celebrity related stories 

Otherwise I agree with most of the above - I really think anything featuring Matt Mira (James Bonding, FeAB) is probably better than Nerdist - I like both but Mira is just funnier to me.  

I really think anything featuring Matt Mira (James Bonding, FeAB) is probably better than Nerdist - I like both but Mira is just funnier to me.  

I totally agree! I always get disappointed when Mira's not on Nerdist episodes, like if it's just Chris interviewing someone... I mean I still listen and enjoy it but the hostfulls are my favorite. Have you listened to Matt's You Made it Wierd episode? It's great! 

• Love 2

Some people have already mentioned the Grantland pop culture podcasts - I don't listen to them all every week, but they're pretty consistently good when I do (usually for topics that are relevant for me).  

My regular listening consists of EHG, Game of Owns, and Penn's Sunday School.  I have a 50-ish minute commute to work every day, so I try to spread everything out over the afternoons.  I had been listening to PSS since it started last year, but I really started getting into others this fall when the school year began, so I'm fairly new to finding shows to listen to - I'm interested to take a listen to some of the suggestions in this thread!

Oh yeah, I listen to the Grantland Girls With Hoodies podcast unless they're talking about music, in which case I don't care.

For those who love games: MaxFun just announced yesterday that International Waters (UK comics vs American comics in a game) has a new host in Dave Holmes. I never listened to it before -- it looks like it's been dormant since last fall -- but I love Dave so I will be all over it.

Great music podcast - Coverville

One of the longest running podcasts out there- he just passed 1000 episodes. About 90 minutes a week, all cover songs (except when he does an "Originalville" where he plays the original versions of songs mostly known as covers,) but he hits so many genres of music that if you listen for a few months you're almost guaranteed to discover an artist you want to hear more of.

I love Coverville! That's the one music podcast I listen to because I love a really well executed cover, and this show specializes in it. I looooove the year end lists, especially since this year featured two PostModern Jukebox covers, which are basically my favorite thing on Youtube thing right now.

I forgot to mention I also quite like Dining with Doug and Karen which is Doug Benson and co-host Karen Anderson along with a guest being fed several courses of food by a local chef.

• By The Way: Jeff Garlin's podcast
  • Comedy Bang Bang
  • Doug Loves Movies
  • Hardcore History
  • The Talk Show: John Gruber's podcast (I listen to a bunch of Apple podcasts but this is my favorite)
  • Never Not Funny

Hardcore History is AMAZING. I can't believe how much work his guy puts into the shows. Highly recommended.

Oh, way too many. Here's all the ones in my Downcast, most of which I stay current with or am working my way through backlogs of:

* Affirmation Nation with Bob Ducca (still in there in the vain hope that it will return one day)

* Analyze Phish (/Fish)

* All Songs Considered

* Call Chelsea Peretti – mostly just Chelsea Peretti being silly. Not essential, but fun.

* Comedy Bang Bang

* The Dana Gould Hour - comedians talking about stuff. Not essential, except for the one where Monika Scott talks about her experience being in a mass shooting, which holy shit.

* DecodeDC

* Doug Loves Movies

* Eban Schletter's Fantastical Musicorium

* Extra Hot Great, obviously

* Fresh Air - yeah, I actually listen to every episode, though I'm a month or two behind right now.

* Mike Detective (defunct)

* The Moth – those of you who live in/near non-tiny cities should check if they do their "story slams" nearby, in person. They're great fun.

* My Brother, My Brother And Me - delightful.

* Nerd Poker - Brian Posehn and some other comedians / writers play DnD. Pretty fun, though if you don't/haven't played yourself I don't know how accessible it is.

* On the Media - my favorite news-type show. Some interesting internet-related content too, on their new subpodcast TLDR.

* Planet Money - also a great newsy show.

* Pod F Tompkast (probably defunct)

* Pop Culture Happy Hour – seems like y'all mostly know about this already, but any EHG fans should definitely be listening to this....

* Radiolab

* This American Life

* Thrilling Adventure Hour - delightful old-timey radio stories that are really funny.

* The Todd Glass Show - it's rambly, really long, and his "special episodes" are mostly intolerable, but the sheer joy that Todd and his friends have doing silly bits is infectious.

* The Truth - "serious" radio fiction, like short stories or whatever but less pretentious. I'm a big fan.

* Welcome to Night Vale

Some I listen to that haven't been named yet (and I'm not going to link them; I'm on holidays, you have Google).

• Never Not Funny (comedians in conversation minus Marc Maron's blowhardiness)
  • Throwing Shade (comedic gay/feminist commentary from two former InfoMania hosts)
  • ...WTF With Marc Maron (only when the guest is someone I like enough to put up with Maron's bullshit)
  • You Made It Weird With Pete Holmes (...more comedians in conversation)

So glad Throwing Shade got a mention! :)

Several of these have been mentioned already, but I want to give them my vote as well.

EHG

Pop Culture Happy Hour

Throwing Shade

Judge John Hodgman

Ask Me Another

Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me

Doug Loves Movies

Jordan, Jesse, Go!

International Waters

Wham Bam Pow

Nerdist

Totally Laime

• Love 1

I have a lot that I listen to on a fairly regular basis. I like to find new podcasts and tear through the back catalog on my way to the present.

My weekly "must listens" (besides EHG) are:

Stop Podcasting Yourself, a recent episode with Alicia Tobin (especially at around the 80 minute mark) made me actually pull my car over because I was crying from laughing. Consistantly the podcast that has made me laugh the most.

The Rooster Teeth Podcast. You kind of have to know/like Rooster Teeth to really appreciate the podcast, but they are pretty funny and tell good stories.

Nerdist hostful episodes. I'll listen to a lot of other episodes, but when the three hosts just talk together I always enjoy that more.

My Brother, My Brother & Me. Just hilarious. I will stop listening to another podcast when the new MBMBaM hits my phone.

• Love 1
Nerdist hostful episodes. I'll listen to a lot of other episodes, but when the three hosts just talk together I always enjoy that more.

I'm right there with you. I download Nerdist based on who the guest is OR if it's a hostful. I'm always in on hostfuls but often skip guests I don't find relevant to my interests.

• Love 4

On top of my own podcasts, I update my Mom's iPod about once a month. Listening to her specs for podcasts is awesome, and trying to nail the right podcasts for her can be a minefield, but she works a job where she wears the iPod for 6-8 hours a day, so keeping her stocked is challenging at times.

WTF and The Nerdist work with the right guests; I've also got her on a nice diet of public radio and BBC podcasts (Desert Island Discs, History Extra, etc). She's not a fan of the swears (which is strange, since she taught me the proper conjugation of the f-word when I was a pre-teen, or as the kids are called today, a tween), but if folks have other recs, I'd take them.

• Love 2

On top of my own podcasts, I update my Mom's iPod about once a month. Listening to her specs for podcasts is awesome, and trying to nail the right podcasts for her can be a minefield, but she works a job where she wears the iPod for 6-8 hours a day, so keeping her stocked is challenging at times.

WTF and The Nerdist work with the right guests; I've also got her on a nice diet of public radio and BBC podcasts (Desert Island Discs, History Extra, etc). She's not a fan of the swears (which is strange, since she taught me the proper conjugation of the f-word when I was a pre-teen, or as the kids are called today, a tween), but if folks have other recs, I'd take them.

Pop Culture Happy Hour, from NPR's Linda Holmes, seems like it could be a good choice if she's not listening already.

I listen to podcasts at work.  I listen to every episode of the following:

• The Read (started listening after Gene Demby recommended it on Pop Culture Happy Hour - went back and listened through their entire archive in about a week.  I am obsessed.)
  • EHG
  • Throwing Shade
  • PCHH
  • How Did This Get Made?
  • The Rachel Maddow Show
  • Real Time w/ Bill Maher
  • Best of the Left

I listen to a bunch of others occasionally.  The B.S. Report, Ask Me Another, Stuff You Missed in History Class, My History Can Beat Up Your Politics, History Chicks, Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!, Stuff You Should Know...

Extra Hot Great

How Was Your Week

Scriptnotes

Pop Culture Happy Hour

Duncan Trussell Family Hour

Joe Rogan Experience

Filmspotting

/filmcast

KCRW's The Business

Slate's Culture Gabfest

Slate's Audio Book Club

Bulletproof Executive

Firewall and Iceberg

Talking TV with Ryan and Ryan

Snap Judgment

I am not perfect with my listening. I'M NOT PERFECT OK?? I tend to get behind on all -- then binge listen to catch up. Just like TV (in which I'm years behind on everything.) I'm also subscribed to thousands more -- and will subscribe to more based on other people's posts here. Because I have FOMO.

• Love 1

I used to listen to podcasts more often, but lately, my listening has tapered off a bit. Ones I do make a habit of listening to, however:

--The Bugle (full episodes, at least)

--The Flop House Podcast (a recent discovery, which I'm listening to both new episodes of, as well as past episodes I did not previously listen to)

Ones I listened to in the past, but haven't gotten around to it lately:

--The Mental Illness Happy Hour (the appeal for me is that Paul Gilmartin interviews both comedians/sorta-well-known people, but also clinicians, and even sometimes listeners. There are also listener surveys read, but I care more about the interviews. As a person who lives with a mental illness, I like that there's a place for mental illness issues to be discusssed without stigma or judgment in podcast form, though I think there's a lot for those without mental illness to learn and get out of it, too, I think.)

One I just discovered, and would like to listen to more:

--Book Fight! (the episode in question was regarding Judy Blume's YA classic Forever. I liked the positivity toward the sex-positive tone of the book while also acknowledging the hilarity of the boy naming his penis "Ralph". )

I listen to Extra Hot Great, Pop Culture Happy Hour, Slate Culture Gabfest and How Was Your Week each week. Julie Klausner's monologues are unique and a lot of fun, and she's had some great guests (I've chosen some recent my non-fiction reads based on her interviews, including Columbine and The Psychopath Test).

I thoroughly enjoy the Nerdist Writers' Panel with Ben Blacker, even though I'm not a writer.

Nerdist, Marc Maron and Jeff Garlin are guest specific for me, but I don't listen to Maron's monologues. The Tig Notaro episode of Garlin's By the Way had me in tears laughing for a good portion of the interview.

Speaking of laughing until you cry, I would listen to Tara, Dave and Pamie talk Hawaii any time, and wish their "She Loved Bamboo" podcast were still available online.

• Love 1

EHG

PCHH

Slate Culture Gabfest

Slate Political Gabfest

Slate Spoiler Special

Jodge John Hodgman

Doug Loves Movies

Firewall and Iceberg

Nerdist (good guests)

WTF (good guests)

Talking TV with Ryan and Ryan

Song Exploder

TV on the Internet

The Tuesday Club

Mom and Dad are Fighting

Slate Double X

Not Just TV McGee

Guardian Football Weekly

The Fantasy Football Scoutcast

Second Captains @ The Irish Times

Also I'm currently listening to a lot of different beer and brewing podcasts in a search for a couple I like and can listen to regularly. Suggestion welcome.

In addition to the ones already mentioned, I also like many of the Bald Move single-show focused podcasts. If anyone used to listen to the old Jay and Jack Lost podcasts, they are similar: a recap with commentary and then listener feedback and discussion. The Downton Abbey podcast, "Up Yours, Downstairs!" is probably my favorite currently recording: they strike a great balance between pointing out the most ridiculous parts of that show while also clearly still enjoying it. All of their podcasts strike a nice balance between critiquing the shows they cover but not hating all over it, which is tough to do.

I listen to:

Extra Hot Great
Comedy Bang! Bang!
Jordan Jesse Go
Thrilling Adventure Hour (especially Beyond Belief)
Pop Culture Happy Hour
My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Sawbones
The Flop House
Never Not Funny
The Nerdist (depending on guest; maybe one out of five episodes)
The Incomparable (disclosure: sometimes I'm on this one)

I'm also very, very fond of the Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project, in which various Andy Daly characters host insane two-hour podcasts. Today's starts with an hour of four world-class improvisers doing terrible German accents: Andy Daly as August Lindt, Paul F. Tompkins as Werner Herzog, Matt Gourley as H.R. Giger, and Matt Besser as Former Pope Benedict. It's amazing.

Edited by Monty
  • Love 2

Yeah, Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project is as great as every CBB fan knew it would be. Haven't listened to today's yet, but I'm pretty excited about it (especially now that I know who the guests are).

Also new on Earwolf: U Talkin U2 To Me, with Adam Scott Aukerman. Really made me realize how little I know about early U2 days, but mostly it's just those two goofing around. I'll listen to Adam Scott do anything.