Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Bad Ad?: Please Report Here

Hi all -- Site owner here. Clearly there's always going to be a push and pull between how many and what kind of ads cross the line versus getting the bills paid. (We ended up killing the full-page pop-over ads a few months back for this reason.)

With regard to the sticky bottom bar ads, for better or for worse (not sure who would argue for better), they've become a new standard over the last couple of years -- you see them on a lot of sites. We're working on tweaking them a bit so they don't immediately appear on every page load, but in the grand calculus of how to keep the site up and running, they may best be viewed as a necessary evil at this point.

We have considered offering a "premium" ad-free version of the site for those who'd like to support the forums and/or find the ads untenable. I'm dubious how many would actually be willing to fork out $10 a month, but that's a possible solution for offsetting the costs of hosting the forums. 

• Useful 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Primetimer said:

Hi all -- Site owner here. Clearly there's always going to be a push and pull between how many and what kind of ads cross the line versus getting the bills paid. (We ended up killing the full-page pop-over ads a few months back for this reason.)

My 2 cents:  "the line" is ads that cover content (or make noise) and require an action to remove (or quiet), especially for logged in account holders.  I read and occasionally post on several other forums.  Some of them have this kind of pop up ad, but not for logged in users.    You can put all the ads you want beside and between content, but I think these new ones do cross the line.

• Like 8

Why has Primetimer suddenly started posting ads at the bottom of each page?  Every time I open a new page I have to x out the ad.  It's a pain in the neck, and certainly no incentive to buy whatever is being shilled.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Primetimer said:

With regard to the sticky bottom bar ads, for better or for worse (not sure who would argue for better), they've become a new standard over the last couple of years -- you see them on a lot of sites. We're working on tweaking them a bit so they don't immediately appear on every page load, but in the grand calculus of how to keep the site up and running, they may best be viewed as a necessary evil at this point.

We have considered offering a "premium" ad-free version of the site for those who'd like to support the forums and/or find the ads untenable. I'm dubious how many would actually be willing to fork out $10 a month, but that's a possible solution for offsetting the costs of hosting the forums. 

I don't mean to harp on this, but, we still have the ads at the top and in the middle of the site (at least when I'm on my phone) and this obnoxious "sticky" ad is something that just showed up in the past day or so for me. But it's only showing up when I access the site from my phone. It's not there when I post from my computer/laptop. I just post here. And other sites that I have visited, don't have this kind of ad.

I don't mind the ads--but this sudden development is annoying as all get out. And having to delete it every time I go to a new page or next topic irritates me.

And for the record, no, I'm not willing to pay.

Just my .02.

• Like 3

If I may offer a less than ideal solution - the IPS Default theme doesn't seem to have any ads at all.  It also doesn't have much functionality, but it could get the job done.

It's really a shame because I don't mind the ads (which is why I don't have an ad blocker installed).   Sometimes I even click on them.  But when they become obtrusive and overwhelming, I have to think about why I'm coming here.  I like this site - I really like the posters here.  I would hope there would be a happy medium.  Ads are good, but not when they take over the pages all the time. 

Thanks for listening.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Primetimer said:

I totally get that the bills need to be paid.

The issue I'm having with the bottom ad is not that it pops up on every page.  Its that it covers up the multi quote box so it forces me to close the ad.  I wouldn't need to close the ad otherwise.  The inconvenience is that its blocking site functionality.  The rest is just getting used to the new ad placement.

I don't know how much control you have over that bar, but on my browser, the bar is full page but the ad is centered and only take up a third of the space.

The quote box is on the bottom right under the bar where there is no ad content.  Its covered up by white space that only goes away when the ad is closed.

Can you shrink the bar to the size of the ad or move where the quote box opens up an inch or something like that?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

it covers up the multi quote box

6 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I don't know how much control you have over that bar, but on my browser, the bar is full page but the ad is centered and only take up a third of the space.

The quote box is on the bottom right under the bar where there is no ad content.  Its covered up by white space that only goes away when the ad is closed.

Which device are you each using when seeing this? If you could you provide a screenshot that would be super helpful as I'm unable to reproduce these behaviours on a laptop. Thanks.

• Like 1

@SilverStormm Not complaining about the ad at the bottom (although it is annoying), just giving you a screenshot as requested. With all the ads between posts, in the sidebar, and now at the bottom, and also the banner at the top, I have a very, very small portion of screen to read posts, look at forum topics, etc. I do think these ads need to be tweaked a bit size wise. 

Samsung Google Chromebook, the 11.6(?) screen notebook size/style.

155968637_Screenshot2019-12-04at7_03_15PM.thumb.png.8dc123676ae70b317875b9bd170b671d.png846660402_Screenshot2019-12-04at7_07_17PM.thumb.png.2d04efbbdd7fd48998f935dd49956511.pngHere are two screenshots from this page. The first is what I see when browsing the site (posts). The second is showing the posting box where the ad takes up space in the box at the bottom and you have to scroll up and down to do anything when typing a post.

eta @SilverStormm I have the same multiquote issue as ParadoxLost does below if you need that info for my system.

Edited by LucindaWalsh · Reason: screenshots and then updated issue
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

14 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

Which device are you each using when seeing this? If you could you provide a screenshot that would be super helpful as I'm unable to reproduce these behaviours on a laptop. Thanks.

I'm on a laptop.  I see it in both Chrome and Edge.

In the screen shots, 

I hit multi quote.

then closed the ad

closing the ad revealed where the quote window was

Let me know if you need something else.

screenad1.png

screenad2.png

One other thing....

Both light and dark themes do this.

ISP default doesn't but it has no ads at all.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Useful 1

Any updates?  I’m really just venting at this point, but on my phone, I’m lucky if 25% of the screen has actual post content on it. 

Annoying yet fascinating when I get the same ad at two different places on the same screen, moving in sync with each other, sort of like synchronized swimmers 🙂

Again, I realize ads pay the bills, but these new ones are way more extreme than other non-paid, member-login sites I’m familiar with. 

• Like 3

I’m using Safari on an iPhone 11 Pro Max and in addition to the ads at the bottom of the page covering the multi-quote function it also covers the notification pop-up. I’m experiencing a few other issue with the ads. I prefer to use the site in landscape and the header and ad eat up a lot of space and the ad blocks part of the menu. Also I’ve seen a few ads that I can not close and some the leave a white box behind after I close them. Usually another ad will eventually load in the space and sometimes that one can be closed but there have been times I had to give up on using the multi-quote function. 
7A1AF5AE-AE89-4217-AA3D-8938098A8940.thumb.jpeg.2895da227b9cd6bebd1cc827fd8e43fc.jpeg9D0B52B2-72AB-4DD3-A4BB-25C590145FF3.thumb.jpeg.a6bee79ff0ce8c84736a2b39ae2ae2d1.jpeg

Edited by Dani

Chiming in on the stick ad on the bottom of the page.  I'm on Explorer and it won't let me X out of the ad.  The X is there, but it doesn't do anything when I  click on it.

• Like 2

Another thing that keeps happening for me, on my iphone is the stick ad will expand and the "x" will be half visible on the right hand side of my phone, and attempts to click on it to make the ad disappear, sometimes results the stupid ad opening, "overwriting" over this site, so I have to close it out and then reload this site.

It's gotten to the point where I'm beyond aggravated. The only time I don't have to deal with them is from my work computer, which I think has ad blockers or some time of firewall, because I don't get any of the sticky ads. Just the other normal ads.

And I'm hoping, so hoping that the response from the devs will not be another: What you see is what you get.

• Like 2

I use a Kindle Fire tablet. Since Primetimer started using ads that flow across the bottom of the page, it has become impossible for me to add a commentin a forum thread. I am speaking about those ads which are so long that they do not show the "X" to close the ad. Without the ability to close the ad, it appears atop the space where I am trying to write my comment.

I have no problem about ads. I hope your ad sales are substantial since I know that's needed to keep Primetimer going. But please: design the bottom ads so they are short enough to show the "X". Thank you.

Edited by Dot
  • Like 2

On 12/22/2019 at 3:44 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Any update?

Update from site owner:

The alerts and multi-quote box were moved so they are no longer hidden by the ad.

Still working on finding a way for the ad to not display on smaller browsers.

I will look at the Kindle Fire issue, but at this point, the ad shouldn't be preventing anyone from commenting. Assuming it works, the smaller browsers fix should also fix the kindle fire issue.

• Like 1

Totally get we have to have ads to keep the website up and running but is there any way for one to at select the types of ads you see in your feed or at least exclude certain types? I'm repeatedly seeing ads for grooming when I'd rather not; I do close them out and select either seem multiple times or not interested  but they keep popping back up in my feed. Any help would be appreciated.

On 1/13/2020 at 5:03 PM, TobinAlbers said:

Totally get we have to have ads to keep the website up and running but is there any way for one to at select the types of ads you see in your feed or at least exclude certain types? I'm repeatedly seeing ads for grooming when I'd rather not; I do close them out and select either seem multiple times or not interested  but they keep popping back up in my feed. Any help would be appreciated.

I've asked the question to our ad people and will let you know what they say.

My feedback on this is that the change to these ads is causing my ipad to have major battery drain.  I now have to charge my ipad almost every night versus every few days--and this is with just use in the evening hours.  I have tried to minimize that by closing out of my browser more regularly and that helps some, but that is just one more impact.  I do understand the need for ads, but the constant loading of so many of them in awkward places does make the site more frustrating to navigate.  

• Like 1

I'm having an intermittent problem with the bottom ad.  Sometimes I can "X" it away and sometimes I can't.  It's not related to a particular screen, when I get in that mode it stays that way the whole time I'm looking at the site.  I can come back later the same day (without logging out - I seldom do that) and the "X" function works fine.  

Laptop PC/Windows 10/Windows Edge

Edited by Quilt Fairy

On 1/17/2020 at 12:48 PM, alexa said:

My feedback on this is that the change to these ads is causing my ipad to have major battery drain.  I now have to charge my ipad almost every night versus every few days--and this is with just use in the evening hours.  I have tried to minimize that by closing out of my browser more regularly and that helps some, but that is just one more impact.  I do understand the need for ads, but the constant loading of so many of them in awkward places does make the site more frustrating to navigate.  

Thank you for your feedback, I will pass it on.

42 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I'm having an intermittent problem with the bottom ad.  Sometimes I can "X" it away and sometimes I can't.  It's not related to a particular screen, when I get in that mode it stays that way the whole time I'm looking at the site.  I can come back later the same day (without logging out - I seldom do that) and the "X" function works fine.  

Laptop PC/Windows 10/Windows Edge

How long approx have you been experiencing this and is it the same ad each time or has it happened with different ones?

On 1/24/2020 at 3:54 AM, Madding crowd said:

I’m getting so many congratulations Walmart shopper ads it took me three tries to report this. 

Apologies for the delay; is this still happening?