Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: Atlanta City Qualifiers

• Start Topic

If I knew that a thread hadn't been started, I would've set something up ahead of time.

Good episode, with Drew Dreschel getting the trifecta: $10K on completing Mega Wall, fastest time, and then he wins the Speed Pass to go directly to Las Vegas.

I should take notes when I watch. One lady (a mother) managed to get to the Warped Wall. Oh, and we had alot of tie-in to The Secret Life of Pets 2. Normally, it would be a "grit your teeth" thing, but we got dogs trying their luck at a modified Warped Wall. And speaking of which, Roo Yori clears it for the first time in years . . . and that's followed by him getting sponsor money ($20K, I think) for his work with dog rescues.

• Love 2

I was very Happy for Roo both for reaching the buzzer and for getting a big donation but I was disappointed that the dogs weren't shown more.  Everything they showed of them and the warped wall I had already seen 5 times on FB.

I get a kick out of Bootie Cothram so I wish he had made it farther this year.

Travis Rosen is one of my all time favorites so I was thrilled to see him back and successful.

• Love 3

Normally I ignore the product placement/movie tie in stuff but actually got a kick out of the dogs and their warped wall. So cute. My favourite was the good boy who said nope to the wall and took the stairs instead. And I was glad the K9 Ninja finished the course and got a nice donation from the movie people for his dog rescue charity. 

I wasn’t sure about the speed pass top 2 competition or the mega wall at first but I’ve decided I like the “speed or greed” choice the ninjas now have to make.  Adds an element is strategy to the course. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Loved the rookie woman that started the show getting as far as she did. Felt sorry for the poor guy who got the bloodied head for a second time. At least he finished (I think). His response to Zuri was pitifully adorable. I just wanna hug him and make it all better. Also glad to see Travis Rosen back, able to complete the course. I even watched part of his sob story (until the kids showed up), which I normally skip entirely.

While I was impressed that Jessica Clayton [edited name] made it to the warped wall, I was NOT thrilled with the hype that she's a mom. While I realize that's her story/hook, it's not worth all the hoopla. Giving birth is a painful experience that changes and taxes a woman's body in a way that I, as a man, will never be able to experience or understand fully. But is it really "history" making? Please dial back the hyperbole Matt and Akbar.

I was also absolutely amazed by Caleb Bergstrom, the baby ninja from the ninja family. Not only did he hit the buzzer on his rookie run, but he also chose (and beat) the mega-wall. That took guts! I wanna see him and "Kid" Owadi compete in a Ninja vs Ninja style head to head competition, and not just the Power Tower.

Not sure how I feel about so much time spent on the doggies and not the athletes. They were cute though. At least there wasn't a sad Sarah McLachlan song playing in the background.  I was especially charmed by the pooch that ran up the steps instead of the doggie wall. And I guess I can deal with the product placement tie-ins if it keeps my show on the air AND gets money donated to a dog charity. Pretty cool that Roo Yori was able to hit the buzzer too!

Also not sure how I feel about Ackbar's moments over the final rankings. While I found the clips entertaining, I also find the recap commentary on the rankings to be interesting and useful. I wonder if this change is permanent.

11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Good episode, with Drew Dreschel getting the trifecta: $10K on completing Mega Wall, fastest time, and then he wins the Speed Pass to go directly to Las Vegas.

But he didn't. He had the second fastest time, just behind Tyler Gillett. He did accomplish the other two things though. Speaking of Tyler, I would have liked to have seen his run, along with the Maker's (Kevin Carbone).

Edited by Richness
Corrected a name.
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Richness said:

While I was impressed that Samantha Bush made it to the warped wall, I was NOT thrilled with the hype that she's a mom. While I realize that's her story/hook, it's not worth all the hoopla. Giving birth is a painful experience that changes and taxes a woman's body in a way that I, as a man, will never be able to experience or understand fully. But is it really "history" making? Please dial back the hyperbole Matt and Akbar.

Yeah, this really bugged me.  They never did anything for the first father up the warped wall.  Keep people's reproductive history out of the ANW competition--it isn't relevant.  But, one correction--that was Jessica Clayton they were going on about, not Samantha Bush.  (I also hate that they made Jessica & kids reenact sleeping in their car for her backstory package.  And that they used it 2 (or 3?) years in a row.)

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Lizzing said:

But, one correction--that was Jessica Clayton they were going on about, not Samantha Bush.

Thanks for the correction. I copied the name from the wrong city qualifying course in the Wikipedia article. I've edited my post appropriately.

So, so happy to see Travis Rosen back.  It was one of those rare moments for me last year when I gasped.  That was bad.  I've loved him for  years and have always been annoyed at their 'old man' stance on him (similar to the MOM!!! stuff this year).  

I'm not as taken with the Berg family.  I found their super BFF-ness to be annoying.  

Another crazy injury (that they somehow got on tape during training) with Dougie Fresh.  That was also gnarly.  Glad he's ok but bummed that his return wasn't successful. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Richness said:

Also not sure how I feel about Ackbar's moments over the final rankings. While I found the clips entertaining, I also find the recap commentary on the rankings to be interesting and useful. I wonder if this change is permanent.

Is there a place where they show the final rankings? I always wonder who makes it to the next round, but I never can find a list. Even when they show it at the end of the program, it goes by so fast, I don't always catch all the names.

1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Is there a place where they show the final rankings? I always wonder who makes it to the next round, but I never can find a list. Even when they show it at the end of the program, it goes by so fast, I don't always catch all the names.

I always watch the recordings on my DVR so I can skip the parts I don't like (the background sob stories). But if you're unable to pause on the rankings like that, there's always the  wikipedia entry, though you may have to wait for a day or two after the show for it to appear.
Wikipedia ANW Season 11

• Love 2
(edited)

Dreschel wins everything, as per usual. I'm sorry but god, I can't stand him. I'll be, like, properly upset if he wins the whole deal this year. 

Love RJ Roman and I'm glad Travis is back (and like Richness said before me, I even watched a part of his sob story, which is very unusual of me)! 

4 hours ago, VartanFan said:

I've loved him for  years and have always been annoyed at their 'old man' stance on him (similar to the MOM!!! stuff this year).  

Me too. 44 is not old, not even in the context of ANW!

They didn't show Kenny Niemitalo at all, did they? Or I blinked and missed it. Would've liked to see his run. He's my country boy. (Well, I suppose not really, but in the sense that Niemitalo is a Finnish surname.)

12 hours ago, Richness said:

I wonder if this change is permanent.

I think it might be, but I'm hoping for the contrary. I love Akbar, but I can't concentrate on watching the footage and reading the names at the same time, and I have to pause to read them, and it's annoying.  

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, mlp said:

I get a kick out of Bootie Cothram so I wish he had made it farther this year.

After last year, Bootie might have merited a minute or two more besides the comment that his light weight worked against him. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

My tv died yesterday and I spent the night going to Walmart to try to find a new one. Does anyone know if this episode will be repeated like last week's?

It's going to be on Friday night, again to tie in with the opening of Secret Life of Pets.

• Love 1

Thanks @eel2178. Even though I know from reading here what happens, it will be fun to see Travis and Bootie again. Bootie is one of my favorites. I will cheer him on anyway. Maybe he will make it to the buzzer on Friday night!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Richness said:

While I was impressed that Jessica Clayton [edited name] made it to the warped wall, I was NOT thrilled with the hype that she's a mom. While I realize that's her story/hook, it's not worth all the hoopla. Giving birth is a painful experience that changes and taxes a woman's body in a way that I, as a man, will never be able to experience or understand fully. But is it really "history" making? Please dial back the hyperbole Matt and Akbar.

This a million times. It's so annoying - you aren't a saint and you don't deserve a medal just because you gave birth. Millions of women do it every day. I also hate the "I'm a mom!" story line on Shark Tank. (and I say this as being a mom myself. Twice over - imagine that!).

I thought it was so exciting watching Drew beat the Mega Wall and win the speed pass. I thought the race between him and Tyler Gillette would be more exciting than last week with David Campbell and the other guy, but then Tyler fell. Bummer.

I couldn't care less about Secret Life of Pets (and I actually have kids that like that franchise - remember: Mom!) but it was sweet that they donated that money to Roo. Good job to both of them.

I hated the "Baby Bergies". Gag. I don't even care he got up the Mega Wall. They bug me.

Travis Rosen's ankle was gnarly. I had to look away. I am glad he recovered so quickly. I wish they had shown Wing Nut designer's run - I am glad he got through.

• Love 2

Ryan Stratis is one of the longest competing ninja warrior.  He has been on every American Ninja Warrior since the first one back in 2009.  Last night he completed every obstacle and went up the Mega Wall, winning $10,000.  However, NBC didn't show his complete run..

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Necromancer said:

Ryan Stratis is one of the longest competing ninja warrior.  He has been on every American Ninja Warrior since the first one back in 2009.  Last night he completed every obstacle and went up the Mega Wall, winning $10,000.  However, NBC didn't show his complete run..

That was a shame. Maybe he flames out in the City Finals? Minimum, I like the guy from the name of the team he captained: Stratis Faction. I think his fans were wearing those t-shirts as well.

20 hours ago, Richness said:

But he didn't. He had the second fastest time, just behind Tyler Gillett. He did accomplish the other two things though. Speaking of Tyler, I would have liked to have seen his run, along with the Maker's (Kevin Carbone).

Thanks for the correction. Once again: I might need to take notes.

As for time-filler, Akbar doing a quick "Best Moments" bit isn't too bad, right?

As for time-filler, Akbar doing a quick "Best Moments" bit isn't too bad, right?

I love Matt and Akbar but one thing this show does not need is a time filler.  🙂  They could have skipped that and showed us Ryan Stratis' full run.  Or skipped the "Mom" hype entirely.  

I don't recall seeing Bret Sims run.  I caught a glimpse of him in the crowd while Grace was on the course so I know he was there.  I wonder if he's not running this year or if he'll be on in different city for some reason.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, mlp said:

I don't recall seeing Bret Sims run.  I caught a glimpse of him in the crowd while Grace was on the course so I know he was there.  I wonder if he's not running this year or if he'll be on in different city for some reason.

He did run, but I don't think they showed it. He had the 9th fastest time (at least according to Wikipedia). 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Necromancer said:

Yeah, it felt like they skipped a few Mega Wall winners, which is really frustrating. I would rather see them (and Bret Sims!) than a bunch of dogs, or maybe a few less backstories. I hate seeing a lengthy backstory on someone who just falls on the second obstacle. Boo hiss!!!!

I don't mind Akbar's "moments", but I do like seeing the final list of finishers, and having them both on at the same time was distracting. Is this taking the place of the "Pom Wonderful Run of the Night"?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

Yeah, it felt like they skipped a few Mega Wall winners, which is really frustrating. I would rather see them (and Bret Sims!) than a bunch of dogs, or maybe a few less backstories. I hate seeing a lengthy backstory on someone who just falls on the second obstacle. Boo hiss!!!!

I don't mind Akbar's "moments", but I do like seeing the final list of finishers, and having them both on at the same time was distracting. Is this taking the place of the "Pom Wonderful Run of the Night"?

I agree with skipping the backstories, but please, more dogs!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

It's strange that last week there was one Mega Wall winner, this week, what, four or five? Are ninjas getting clued in so they can practice before ANW hits their town?

I did notice no POM Wonderful run and didn't see that sponsor's signs anywhere. Last year wet ninjas got POM towels, but this year they are getting no towels. I guess no sponsor money, it's bring your own towel.

Where does everyone get their t-shirts? It seemed every runner had a t and their support people all had the same t with logo and catch phrase. Is there a kiosk where people can have a bunch of shirts made that same night?

I loved the smartest dog that took the steps to the top instead of the warped wall.

What are those pants that many are wearing now, with the extra material of a different color on the inside of the legs/crotchal area? They are like riding pants. Nick Coolridge wore them first, I think, orange ones. Now many are wearing them. Are they Special Ninja Pants? Sold at the t-shirt kiosk?

The newbie guy whose foot was slipping in the Spider needed to read about Isaac Caldero and how he said his rock climbing shoes made him fall in the Jumping Spider. But at least this guy made it through.

While I don't have an opinion one way or the other, except that he's a "regular" and has never done anything irritating IMO, I give Drew Dreschel credit for running in a t and jeans. I really get tired of those preening guys who have to strip off at the starting line so as to highlight all their gym rat time. And the Fire and Ice guys having their Man Boob contest is just a big NO from me. I'm glad both of them tanked. Literally.

Maybe it's my five years of art school and so many hours of life drawing. By the fifth year when students could pose the models, we were all unanimous: Put your clothes on.

Thinking about it, I guess I don't mind the WWWAs as much as I used to. But I do wonder about the loooooong back stories on new people who are not going to make it past the third obstacle. WTHeck is up with that.

And the "mom" story ... what's the name of the woman who wears a lot of makeup and has a big bow in her hair? She's been on other competitions and team competitions and is a real kick ass. Seems to me she is a mom.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

I have a question.  I understand an athlete and their drive to succeed in their sport but after you tear your ACL once, ok, recover and try again.  Tearing the ACL in the other knee, maybe, but after tearing her ACL a third time (twice in the same knee), why would any coach, parent, or doctor allow her to continue to compete?  Then she tears her ACL yet a third time?  That sounds like a mental issue.  Is it just me?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I have a question.  I understand an athlete and their drive to succeed in their sport but after you tear your ACL once, ok, recover and try again.  Tearing the ACL in the other knee, maybe, but after tearing her ACL a third time (twice in the same knee), why would any coach, parent, or doctor allow her to continue to compete?  Then she tears her ACL yet a third time?  That sounds like a mental issue.  Is it just me?

Speaking as a personal trainer, I thought that was NUTS. I was like "girl, pick a lower-impact activity!" Ninja is not it. Swimming, cycling, even triathlon. 

• Love 4
(edited)
21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And the "mom" story ... what's the name of the woman who wears a lot of makeup and has a big bow in her hair? She's been on other competitions and team competitions and is a real kick ass. Seems to me she is a mom.

I think you’re referring to Maggi Thorne. They were saying that a mom has never made it up the warped wall. Maggie is a mom but apparently has never made it up the wall (I don’t remember either way, just assuming!). Which is surprising to me because I do remember her being very successful, especially in ninja vs ninja.

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, srpturtle80 said:

I think you’re referring to Maggi Thorne.

Yes, Maggi Thorne. Thank you! I looked her up and she hasn't made it to the Wall. But she is a mom and competed last year. I hope she does again this year.

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:05 AM, saber5055 said:

It's strange that last week there was one Mega Wall winner, this week, what, four or five? Are ninjas getting clued in so they can practice before ANW hits their town

I'm sure after last year everyone built themselves an 18 ft wall at home, so they've all had a lot of time to practice it.

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:05 AM, saber5055 said:

I did notice no POM Wonderful run and didn't see that sponsor's signs anywhere. Last year wet ninjas got POM towels, but this year they are getting no towels. I guess no sponsor money, it's bring your own towel.

I've seen a few people with towels. As far as I can tell it just says (paraphrasing) "Mutant Ninja Warrior" on it.

Edited by eel21788
  • LOL 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yes, Maggi Thorne. Thank you! I looked her up and she hasn't made it to the Wall. But she is a mom and competed last year. I hope she does again this year.

She was on the sidelines at the LA qualifier. Either she already flamed out and it was too disgraceful to show her run (unlikely), or she's running in another city (most likely).

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 1

So glad to see other Ryan Stratis fans here. He won me over when I read his AMA ( I think on reddit). Drew has also grown on me over the years. I can do without the Bergstroms. So glad that Travis did well but bummed that Bootie didn’t. Finally, I want to show some love for Neil Craver. I’ a sucker for those who come back year after year and consistently do well even if they are never at the very top.

• Love 2
On 6/6/2019 at 3:09 AM, Richness said:

Felt sorry for the poor guy who got the bloodied head for a second time. At least he finished (I think). His response to Zuri was pitifully adorable. I just wanna hug him and make it all better.

He did. I would have sworn those hanging pipes for the spider climb/jump were soft. They were not. Nothing like hearing the audible "THONK" as the big pipe smacked his head. And he did clear the Warped Wall.

• Love 1
On 6/9/2019 at 2:59 PM, eel21788 said:

'm sure after last year everyone built themselves an 18 ft wall at home, so they've all had a lot of time to practice it. 

More like, everyone built themselves an 18 ft. wall in their ninja gym. Drew Dreschel even confirmed that as they showed him and others practicing on it.

• Love 1
On 6/8/2019 at 2:05 PM, saber5055 said:

I think POM dropped the sponsership last year. Two years ago they were very prominant, but last year, there wasn't a POM-peep. (Or I may be misremembering). I am surprised they don't have another as prominant sponsor instead, especially for 2 years in a row. NBC's ad sellers must be messing things up if they can't find someone to buy in 2 years in a row. 

• Love 2
On 6/9/2019 at 5:59 PM, eel21788 said:

I'm sure after last year everyone built themselves an 18 ft wall at home, so they've all had a lot of time to practice it.

I think you're right,  but the contestants expected to have the same length approach to the walls.  This season, if I'm right, the producers shortened the space the contestants had as approaches, so even though they'd practiced going vertical, they didn't have the approach - how many steps to build their momentum and speed- until they'd seen it the first time.

On 6/6/2019 at 7:46 PM, Necromancer said:

Ryan's complete run from start to finish can be watched on the American Ninja Warrior web site.

• Love 1