Season 5 Discussion Thread

QQQQ
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Just binged all three eps (if three eps can be considered a binge). My ranking:

1. Smithereens

2. Striking Vipers

3. Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too

Based mainly on what had the biggest visceral impact on me during viewing. Also, I'm drawn to darker BM fare (White Bear, Shut Up and Dance).

Edited by QQQQ

The fact that it was the shortest season since Netflix took over makes me feel why the general feedback is underwhelming That said, I'm pretty fine with it. None of these three episodes make the best Black Mirror eps, but none also make the worst.

Smithereens is probably my favorite of the three, as it reminds me of some of the classic Black Mirror episodes like National Anthem and Shut Up and Dance where it's a series of unfortunate events. It really didn't say anything new (how people's life has been devoured into social media already), but I like the point that it emphasized. Also, great acting all around.

Striking Vipers is interesting but I felt it was kinda thin and stretched out. I wish it would have gone way darker than that, but it's one of the few Black Mirror endings where you can interpret it as a happy ending.

The Hannah Montana: 10 Years Later episode feels more like a Disney movie and is probably the least Black Mirror-ish type of episode, but I must say I was entertained only because y'know Miley was enjoying it. I can't get the song off of my head though.

Anyway, I know Seasons 1 and 2 are only three episodes as well, but the shortage of episodes was really felt this season, I think.

• Love 2

Honestly I found the first two episodes boring.  Which is unusual for Black Mirror.  I know alot of fans didn't like Netflix taking over but season 3 & 4 had alot of fun episodes even if some got a little too dark for my tastes.   Season 5 Striking Vipers and Smithereens were just boring.   The only one I actually liked was Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too.    I really liked Miley Cyrus in this.  She is not the worlds greatest actress but having her play a parallel to her own career was inspired.   

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Honestly I found the first two episodes boring.  Which is unusual for Black Mirror.  I know alot of fans didn't like Netflix taking over but season 3 & 4 had alot of fun episodes even if some got a little too dark for my tastes.   Season 5 Striking Vipers and Smithereens were just boring.   The only one I actually liked was Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too.    I really liked Miley Cyrus in this.  She is not the worlds greatest actress but having her play a parallel to her own career was inspired.   

Agreed, Striking Vipers and Smithereens should have been about 30 minutes long -- in fact, Theo mentioned to Danny that being married with kids was kind of boring,   Which made for a boring episode.

I did enjoy Rachel, Jack and Ashley, Too if anything because it didn't drag. like the other 2 episodes did.

• Love 1

I don't think it was a terrible season but it was definitely the weakest one to date.  I think Bandersnatch took too much out of them.  But this show has more than earned the right to get things back on track.

• Love 2

Hi all, new to this forum. I am so disappointed in this season. The ep with Miley was somewhat tolerable due to the humor factor, but as a whole, I guess Black Mirror is just going to be a memory of four seasons of greatness and one elusive let-down. 

• Love 1

Hi all, new to this forum too!  I am also disappointed with this season.  It feels like a watered down, pixie dusted show that couldn’t help but add mainstream “edge” (haha that word probably just gave away how out of touch I am!) instead of intelligent and thought provoking story lines that leave viewers looking at their world in slightly different ways.  YMMV however I will keep hoping they get back to the show I enjoy for season 6!

I really miss the gutpunching endings a la The Twilight Zone. However, I blame it on the scripts not the actors. The first two episodes were saved by such good actors and actresses-Andrew Scott was his amazing self. But  the plot lines just seemed to kind of meander through the hour or 45 minutes. There was no punch in the gut like the White Bear episode or the American Idol-esque story. I know people will disagree but the show is very American and well bland. It seemed when it was just a little show on British telly, it could tell sharper satirical storylines. Meh. I was excited for this season but not after I watched.

• Love 2

I liked this season but I think people are being more critical of the three episodes because there are only three.  Out of the two six-episode seasons I think there were at least three that were on par with or worse than these three.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:27 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Agreed, Striking Vipers and Smithereens should have been about 30 minutes long -- in fact, Theo mentioned to Danny that being married with kids was kind of boring,   Which made for a boring episode.

I did enjoy Rachel, Jack and Ashley, Too if anything because it didn't drag. like the other 2 episodes did.

I had the exact same thought about Striking Vipers and Smithereens.  They would have been much better as 30 minute episodes.  Really didn't need an hour to tell those stories. 

I mentioned in the Smithereens thread, I just wasn't impressed with the whole message of the episode, wasn't very original.  It was a well done episode in general, if too long, but the lack of any original message dragged it down for me.

The other two at least had elements of a bit of fun and comedy to them while still exploring at least somewhat fresh ideas. 

Striking Vipers I think struck up the most interesting thoughts and questions in terms of marriage and sexuality.  They didn't answer those questions, they kind of let it open, but it still makes you think about them.  Does a male having sex with another man in a video game make them gay?  Is this considered "cheating" in a marriage?  Is this the future of sexuality and relationships?  (I think we can all answer at least a partial "yes" to that last one) 

None of these three were among the bets of all the episodes that have been made, IMO.  But they all have certain element to enjoy. 

15 hours ago, Tardislass said:

I really miss the gutpunching endings a la The Twilight Zone. However, I blame it on the scripts not the actors. The first two episodes were saved by such good actors and actresses-Andrew Scott was his amazing self. But  the plot lines just seemed to kind of meander through the hour or 45 minutes. There was no punch in the gut like the White Bear episode or the American Idol-esque story. I know people will disagree but the show is very American and well bland. It seemed when it was just a little show on British telly, it could tell sharper satirical storylines. Meh. I was excited for this season but not after I watched.

Striking Vipers and Rachel, Jack and Ashley both seemed like very Americanized versions of Black Mirror. 

On 6/8/2019 at 4:54 AM, SWLinPHX said:

I liked this season but I think people are being more critical of the three episodes because there are only three.  Out of the two six-episode seasons I think there were at least three that were on par with or worse than these three.

Speaking only for myself here (obviously!), I am one of those who is critical of this season.  I see the point you are making and thought about it in my context.  The conclusion I came to is perhaps your point is valid to an extent but I would take it further.  Because we are 5 seasons in I guess I expected more. The first 3 episode seasons made me itch for more in a good way!  I couldn’t wait for the next episodes to come and gift me with new and exciting perspectives so I came away seeing the world a bit differently.  And even though there were episodes in those first seasons I didn’t particularly like (the very first one!) I was not critical of the season as a whole (other than being too short!) This short season, apart from some interesting scenarios that they could have taken in striking vipers and chose not to (just my humble opinion) I came away eager for the next season because I expected more from this one and I am hoping the next one will deliver.  I wasn’t a big fan of Bandersnatch either (loved the idea just thought the story itself was lacking) and feel the same about all of the episodes in this season.  I am however very glad to hear others enjoyed the season more than I did and hope the writing team decides to delve deep into BM territory next season.  Cheers.

Yeah, there was some terrific acting in the first two episodes of this season and that made up for a lot of deficiencies with the scripts.  Without that acting, you might have had a complete train wreck of a season.

• Love 1
(edited)

This may be an unpopular opinion but I think people are way to enamored with the gut punch ending of Black Mirror that when there is an episode that may not have one they feel used.  Honestly I think Black Mirror has the same problem as shows like This Is Us and Game of Thrones had. If you expect something too much it loses its power.    This season wasn’t bad because it wasn’t gut punchy.  It was bad because it was boring and trite.   All three episodes were professionally made but they didn’t say anything about the dangers of technology that a fifth grader doesn’t already know.   Yeah sex in games is gonna be awesome.   Don’t text and drive.   Miley Cyrus is great.

There saved you the watch.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4