Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Abby's Big Comeback

• Start Topic

(edited)

How long ago did the last season of DM end?

And I assume Abby was a smoker back in the day because her voice sounds much healthier now.

Edited by Meatball

Ratings are in:

The 8:00 special: 555K viewers and a .17.

This episode: 630K viewers and a .19 rating.  31st cable show of the day.

They're going to have to go find more viewers to keep this on the air.  

• Love 2
(edited)

So after watching 30 minutes of the recorded first episode of Season 8, I stopped it, deleted it from the DVR and cancelled all future recordings.  It's just the some old dreck, with another cast of young kids and despicable mothers.  Even in the summertime, there are so many quality shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. as well as previously viewed series to revisit that I don't want to waste one more hour of my life with Dance Moms. 

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 3

I will say at least these kids are actually talented. The moms are as wretched as the last batch of moms, but at least when they say their kid has talent, they are not being delusional. These kids can dance circles around the Clydesdales of last season. 

• Love 3

A few hours in and Abby has already beaten into the kids several times that they aren't tough but she is. The entire litany stated ad nauseum, including her jail time, which was of course her own doing. Ugh.

• Love 3

I wasn't going to watch.  I was done after a few episodes of the previous cast and Abby trying so hard to be the tough, mean but loving dance teacher from the past.  She didn't have any chemistry with the last crew.

But I watched because my teenage daughter wanted to watch (she watching all the old ones on Netflix or Hulu).  I was kind of surprised that I like the dancers and not all the moms drive me crazy...yet. 

We saw a lot more dancing and not as much of the "crowd"/mom reactions which made me happy.  Abby going on and on about jail kind of drove me crazy because she brought that on herself. But I did see glimpses of a "changed" Abby, while she was still "mean" or "tough" it also felt like she was enjoying herself and the girls. I didn't disagree with her telling the little girl that was crying toward the end that she needs to quit crying because other kids not only didn't have parents who could pay for dance but some were fighting just to live.  I think some of our spoiled generation of kids needs to hear that (mine included).

Re: Lily I always thought she was just a crier and a bit spoiled.   When her mom said she was getting growth hormones that may have shed some light on her being emotional.  I wonder if those treatments cause her to be overly emotional all that influx of hormones at once.

Finally, best takeaway of the night: Abby fussing at Lily about the way she was removing her makeup of forcefully and out from her nose not in.  OMGosh the best advice for a young person who has to be in make-up so much.  Be gentle to your face!!

• Love 1

Before I decided  to pull the plug on Dance Moms for other shows (I.E. Jessica Jones and Designated Survivor on Netflix) I was wondering about whether Abby held to her intention to discontinue Chemo.  It would have been a terrible decision. Burkitt's Lymphoma is very aggressive and the post-op chemo is essential.  I was glad to see that she did finish her treatments.  Her chances of long-term survival would have been in doubt without them.  Good for her.