Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
tennisgurl

American Princess

"Georgia Flood stars as "American Princess" Amanda, an Upper East Side socialite whose storybook nuptials are dramatically derailed when she discovers her fiance is cheating on her just hours before her dream wedding in the countryside. Stunned by the betrayal, Amanda runs off only to find herself stranded in the middle of a Renaissance fair with no phone and no way home. Amid the bizarre surroundings, Amanda has an unexpected awakening and impulsively decides to become the newest member of the fair." 

I found this show surprisingly entertaining. Although are there really people in this world that have never even HEARD of a Ren Fair?? Especially English majors? Out of all the impossibilities of this show, this one stuck out the most to me.  I found the "renny" underworld comparisons to carnies' lifestyle interesting, as someone who does not attend ren fairs so I have no idea what the performers are like at all.  I'll keep watching, I'm intrigued.

• Like 2

This was a fun summer show.  I'm looking forward to seeing what's coming next.  I don't love the lead, but I'm not sure I'm supposed to.

• Like 2

This was cute, its a fun summer show that I think I will enjoy a lot like a nice light summer sherry. The lead is rather selfish but I think thats the point and she will probably grow as the show goes on. I have been to a few Ren Fairs before, its a fun time, although I dont know much about actually working there or being a Ren Fair groupie so this should be an interesting ride. I always like learning about quirky niche subcultures that you dont see in the media very much. 

That nipple ring pull! Ouch!

• Like 1

Lucas Neff was pretty awesome in "Raising Hope" (as well as the rest of the cast). I'm enjoying him in this too.

I've been to Renaissance Faires, and the employees (at least the entertainers) do have to remain in "character." I enjoyed that they used the matching costume characters in the beginning to be amateurs who just like to attend these on a regular basis. Our local seasonal one (DC area) actually has season passes for sale. Some regular attenders make very elaborate costumes and wear them. I just enjoyed that these actors were being very historically inaccurate. There are a lot of weird costume goers out there that are definitely not historically accurate.

For some reason this show is reminding me quite a bit of SLINGS AND ARROWS.  I'm definitely going to be giving it a look.

S1.E3: Down There

Amanda attempts to win Maggie's respect with the help of Delilah, David and the other Rennies; Brian tries to loosen up at promotional events for the Renaissance festival.

Promo:

Original air date: 6/9/19

• Like 1

Last week's episodes, Amanda didn't really bother me, I just saw her as spoiled and unexposed to life outside of her bubble.  Last night I wanted to smack her.  From reaching in to borrow Maggie's shampoo before waiting for permission, to going on and on about the "bush" to everyone, and being a bitch the store owner, she was downright unlikeable.

The radio clip was spot-on!  Douchebags on air, the female only around to be brunt of sexist jokes, and the sound clips reminded me of why I listen to NPR in the car, LOL.  Did they only invite him to come for an interview to mock him?

I wonder if BJ girl is the one who used to be Delilah's roommate?

• Like 3

I felt awful for Shakespeare Guy during the radio show, just filled to the brim with the worst kind of dude bro fart joke humor, especially as they basically spent the whole time making fun of him and his passion. It was nice to see him and the mud guy bonding a bit. Shakespeare truly WAS the master of dirty jokes, he just made them sound pretty. He was the man who may or may not have written the first ever Yo Mamma joke after all! 

I like this show a lot so far, its funny and sweet and it clearly has a lot of fondness for the Ren Fair life, no matter how silly it often is. 

• Like 2

I could have sworn I posted here last week after the series premiere! I liked the first two episodes and I definitely enjoyed seeing so many actors who I know from other shows pop up.  This show seems great for the summer - a light fun fish out of water rom com.

17 hours ago, marshmallow said:

Last week's episodes, Amanda didn't really bother me, I just saw her as spoiled and unexposed to life outside of her bubble.  Last night I wanted to smack her.  From reaching in to borrow Maggie's shampoo before waiting for permission, to going on and on about the "bush" to everyone, and being a bitch the store owner, she was downright unlikeable.

The radio clip was spot-on!  Douchebags on air, the female only around to be brunt of sexist jokes, and the sound clips reminded me of why I listen to NPR in the car, LOL.  Did they only invite him to come for an interview to mock him?

Agreed on both counts. Last week, Amanda clearly had no clue how things worked at the faire so I gave her a pass about being clueless, but all the stuff she did this week was just her being really rude, from trying to steal Maggie's shampoo and trying to make changes to the storylines at the faire to insulting the store owner and bombarding him with unsolicited "suggestions." Stay in your lane, girl.

Parks & Rec had the perfect send up of morning radio with Ira and the Douche, but this was a pretty fair example too (sexist jokes, lame impersonations, and stupid sound effects).

I'm glad that Stick had a conversation with Amanda this week. I was afraid they were going to make him all Hodor-ish for the entire season.

• Like 1

S1.E4 Why Are You Romeo?

Amanda has surprise visitors who struggle with the hypersexuality on display at the Renaissance festival; Brian develops a crush; Maggie leads a Royal Pub Crawl.

Promo:

Original air date: 6/16/19

I mean, there probably is a conversation to be had about sexism in the ren fair world and the romancing of a deeply problematic time period...but sometimes you just want to drink a lot of ale and make cheap sex jokes, you know? And who is this rich white woman to lecture a bunch of other, less wealthy and POC about what they should or should not be doing, and that they should feel bad about what makes them happy?

It was fun seeing some of Amanda's friends actually enjoying the fair and getting into it, and Amanda was quite likable again this week. She really is trying to commit to all of this, and I thought her giving Shakespeare a bit of a pep talk to talk to his crush was really sweet. Poor guy clearly needs to make some more friends, Queen Liz isnt a very good bestie. 

Hazzah for the tipper!

• Like 2

Queen Liz is pretty self-absorbed, she has brushed him off every time the topic of conversation strays from her!  She didn't give him much support last week either, when he was bothered by the radio spot.

Shakespeare and his new "I have enough friends" friend are super cute, I hope they keep this romance blossoming.

Amanda was much more likeable this week, and her friends getting into the spirit of the faire were cute.  I can see how alpha friend could struggle seeing all the blatant sexism and overt sexualization going on in the faire, knowing that she was going through harassment herself, but if all the participants are willingly engaging, it's not exactly the same situation.

Delilah having a son is an interesting twist, I'm not sure why he was introduced.

So is the connection between BJ girl (I can't remember her name) and Amanda well known among all the faire crew?  Callie seemed to have all the details, including the payoff Amanda's mom gave her.  Callie is also very possessive of David, but he keeps going to Amanda.  I wonder what the relationship status is between Callie and David.

Regarding next week's preview,

Spoiler

they killed the suspense by showing Amanda's mom alive.  I wonder if she faked the OD to get Amanda home?

• Like 1

I just want to say that I love this show. It is a light, easily digested distraction from my life that sparks joy. I also enjoy your comments. And that's all I have to say about that.

• Like 3

Delilah: This is Lil Boy.
Amanda: Yes, I can see that he's a little boy.
Delilah: No, that's his name - Lil Boy. Until he's old enough to choose his own name.
Lil Boy: Fartbox!
Delilah: Okay, not old enough yet.

Amanda: Your parents are strict too, huh? My mom made me take French AND Mandarin. Merci for nothing, Chairman Mao.

Delilah: [My parents are] Evangelical Christians. I wasn't even allowed to read The Giving Tree when I was a kid because "if it can give you an apple, it can touch you in your bathing suit area."

Brian: Hey, same body wash! Gotta love that Mountain Mist. Great minds. Then again, we do differ in our choices of toothpaste flavor. What kind of person uses wintergreen?
Juan Andrés: What can I say? I'm a wintergreen guy.
Brian: I also heard that wintergreen was the flavor used by Hitler!

Brian: I just had a rather awkward incident. I ran into Juan Andrés - you know, the man that I sort of like - in the restroom We were in line for the showers. I thought I'd strike up a conversation but it went poorly. I made a very bad joke about Hitler. How do I show him that I like him?
Maggie: Invite him over for a Hefeweizen and a light chapter of Mein Kampf.

Maggie: I need to Nair my widow's peak before breakfast. I'm starting to look like Count Chocula.

Maggie: I will not besmirch the legacy of the great queen simply to put a couple of extra shekels in your pocket.
Lee: I figured you'd say that and I am prepared. "It is said that Elizabeth I drank at least two pints of ale every day. In 1593, the royal household went through approximately 600,000 gallons of ale." Signed, the internet.

Maggie: I don't believe in girlfriends. Bitches be haters.

Nick: It's like [Amanda]'s been kidnapped by those drum circle mole people in Union Square.

Amanda: It's the whole mixing worlds thing. You know when you introduce your yoga friends to your pilates friends and the vibe is just super different?

Amanda: Fun, right?
Morgan: Yeah, if by fun you mean super offensive. What is with all the horny nerd humor? I feel like the only girl in a Fortnite chat room.

Maggie: I have to go numbers 1, 2, and 3.

Maggie: Do I look pretty?
Brian: Yes, dear.
Maggie: Would you believe me if I told you I was in my 30s?
Maggie: Do you think Daniel Day-Lewis wore his Lincoln hat while he slept and showered?
Maggie: You're my best friend.
Brian. Yup.

David: Spence or Brearley?
Amanda: Spence? How very dare you? Brearley. Wait, how did you know that?
David: I'm from the city.
Amanda: Shut up! What?
David: You shut up!
Amanda: Where are you from? No, wait. Let me guess. Lower East Side, artist parents.
David: No.
Amanda: Upper West Side, journalist parents.
Amanda: Greenpoint, Polish bakers.
Amanda: Chelsea, two dads.

Leaf: Nice fucking!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 1

On an OCD note, thank you, show, for telling us that Amanda has been at the faire for three weeks now. I hate when it's unclear how much time has passed!

This was the perfect time for Amanda's friends to show up now that she's settled in and feeling comfortable. I know she's hurt that they didn't come sooner (or on their own) but plotwise, if they had shown up while she was still a complete fish out of water then it would have been way too easy for them to convince her to go home. I like that she genuinely enjoys working there, has made friends, and doesn't want to leave. Even though David keeps calling her a city lady, she is doing things like cheerfully moving kegs around without any whining or complaining.

Drunk Maggie is way better than regular Maggie, but I hate that she has such a one-sided friendship with Brian. She's been very selfish and has blown him off when he had genuine concerns. Amanda had one conversation with him and she was nicer to him than his supposed BFF Maggie was. Yay for Brian and Juan Andrés hooking up!

As for Amanda, I am all for her hooking up with the hot jouster. Nothing wrong with some no strings attached sex. He clearly isn't going to make things weird or awkward just because they slept together.

S1.E5: A Period Piece

Amanda's family lures her back to New York City; Delilah plans a party to celebrate Lulu and Shart's daughter, Breeze; Maggie wrestles with Brian's new romance; David, Stick and Shart have a "man" outing.

Promo:

Original air date: 6/23/19

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo