Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E13: One Elle of a Day

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, terrymct said:

I’m hoping that someone on Twitter asks the judges if they’re seen the movie.  

No one on Twitter mentioned the movie, but Nina did tweet this

nina.JPG

• Love 15
(edited)

kVdDG1V.jpgOrrnEnN.jpgchMyDVM.jpg  I kept hoping that during the

trips to Mood I would catch a glimpse of Swatch.  Only one episode left, so I don't think we will see him this season.  For any, and all fans who missed him....   a couple of images 🐾 

Edited by Day2Day
pic placement
  • Love 23
12 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

That pissed me off.  As someone above said, Christian did everything but sew Hester's design and he's been much more helpful with other designers.  The fix is in.  They love Bishme but I think they were okay with him going because he posed a real threat to their favourite.   Nothing that Hester has done for the entire run of the show matched the black outfit Bishme did while he was in mourning.

I agree about them being ok with Bishme leaving, but not your reasons as to why. I think they could tell he was done. He had too much personal drama/stress and wasn’t able to complete his looks. He just wasn’t “there” anymore. 

• Love 16
16 minutes ago, DrivingSideways said:

I thought Sebastian said "belly dancer" as well, and I think that's why the judges reacted so much to it, and then had to cover it up by pretending they knew he said 'ballet dancer'.

I started out hating Hester... I'm still not a huge fan, but personally, I don't mind her much anymore.  Her entire personal style and her work is very contrived to me, like she looked at Katy Perry circa the "Teenage Dream" era and said "THAT!  That's my aesthetic!"  She did outright say she was doing "Clueless", correct?  I think the designs were a bit on the nose but I didn't really fault her for the Clueless looks.

I'm not someone who sews - but it seems like Hester's mishap would be an occupational hazard?  Was that an overreaction?

It's sad to see Bishme go, although I think it was the right choice.  He was extremely gracious on the way out also.  What a lovely guy.  It's nice after a season of fairly bad personalities, the final four seemed to be a sweet bunch who were supportive to each other.

No, I don't believe she said she was outright doing Clueless. What I heard is that she was doing things that no one had ever seen before, which is why I am being so hard on the obvious derivative nature of what we've seen before. There is nothing original there. 

It really is nice to have Tessa gone. She was such a Debbie Downer. I might not light Hester, but I find her more amusing than anything because of her oversize opinion of herself and her talent. She really doesn't bag on anyone else, and I appreciate that. None of the final four tore down others to make themselves feel better. That was all Tessa, and I'm so glad she's gone. 

• Love 18
2 hours ago, terrymct said:

Hester’s third outfit was as much Christian’s as hers.   He gave her specific advice repeatedly that saved her.  Bishme got “Oh I’m sure you’ll think of something”.  No brainstorming or suggestions of any real use for him.  

This!  Bishme was in no emotional shape for this challenge, and it wouldn't have hurt Christian (who has generally been doing a fabulous job) to steer him more clearly in a direction that might have resulted in just a forgettable outfit instead of that mess on the runway.  Although I like Hester as a person much more than I did for most of the season, her stuff is so damned juvenile and derivative, I don't see how anyone can think it is "fashion forward" (loathsome phrase IMO).

I'm not a fan of Garo's style - most of it screams "costume" to me, although he is terrific at what he does, and his stuff is always polished and noticeable.  But even with his skills he couldn't pull off that ridiculous Nina tuxedo assignment, and it was a true mess.  He might have done better if he'd thought a little more outside the box and designed a short tuxedo dress - and also if he'd chosen a different fabric because that was just plain ugly.  

I've been rooting for Sebastian from the start, and still think he is really the only one who deserves the big win.  And that deep orange outfit was gorgeous!  Whether he'll win or not seems to hinge on how much the judges love Hester's silly designs and annoying histrionic personality.

• Love 16
23 minutes ago, Day2Day said:

kVdDG1V.jpgOrrnEnN.jpgchMyDVM.jpg  I kept hoping that during the

trips to Mood I would catch a glimpse of Swatch.  Only one episode left, so I don't think we will see him this season.  For any, and all fans who missed him....   a couple of images 🐾 

Aw, love!  We've watched Swatch grow up into a fine and handsome lad over the seasons.  We did catch sight of him a couple times this season.  At least, I remember catching sight of him.  Someone please confirm I wasn't having an hallucination!

Likewise, I don't remember Hester mentioning Clueless with regards to her collection, but I do remember her saying she wanted "Clueless '70s glam" when she took her models to hair and makeup.  No word on whether she meant Clueless and '70s glam or if she thought Clueless was '70s glam.  Hey, this is the same woman who thought houndstooth was gingham.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

It's funny that Garo's Nina look was 'Working Girl' (bad), but Hester's 'Clueless' collection was (great). 

It's kinda mean, but I laughed when Bishme said he was 'homeless', but then said he lived in his studio. Then you weren't homeless, Bish.

Honestly, I'm watching this show at least 50% for the Christian content; I could watch him visiting fledgling designers in their studios for hours.

• Love 11

I'm trying to remember if anyone in any of the past seasons struggled as much as Bishme did this late in the season. He obviously had some personal issues that interfered with this efforts, but things just fell apart for him.

Everything about him in this episode was so sad. The fact that he was living in his studio and that he seemed so low-energy. Two outfits done? The fact that he was alone. It just broke my heart.

The only bright spot about the home visit was that I recognized Baltimore right away. The Domino sign gave it away. Thank you, The Wire!

As another poster mentioned, I was almost hoping that the CFDA judge would offer him an internship or something. He really deserves a bit of help.

• Love 14
13 hours ago, doobiedo said:

When Hester’s first look came out, I was struck by the fact that I saw that same outfit on Alicia Silverstone in Clueless 

My immediate, involuntary, gutteral reaction to that first look of Hester's was, "oh good god, no." 

I am glad to see the Bishme hug line is long . . . I'm in queue -- Project Runway has never made me cry before, but I teared up when he couldn't even watch his look come down the runway and then at his auf-ing (do we call it that anymore?).  

I hope someone in the business reaches out to him and offers him a job or a mentorship -- I can only imagine what that CFDA mentorship would have done for him.  My heart was breaking the whole time -- that Nina-driven look was just awful.  I love Bishme!!

If the fix isn't in for Hester (who I have, surprisingly, come to be okay with in terms of the person she is -- her clothes are still god-awful), then this is Sebastian's to lose. 

• Love 14

I felt bad for Bishme but I would feel worse if he was in by a pity vote. I adore Sebastian and his designs and hope he wins.

It bothers me that for years Nina ranted against designs being “too junior” yet she adores Hester who designs for tweens and fans of anime.

I can only assume the producers want a younger audience and have required Nina to adapt her viewpoints. I liked Garo’s sequin dress and find it hard to say he makes costumes considering the outfits Hester and even Sebastian create.

• Love 16
(edited)
13 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I hope this doesn't cause him to lose his way.  He seems to be a very strong young man but life can break the strongest of us.

Especially in inner-city Baltimore -- what he has done with his life against growing up in what has devolved into essentially a war zone is astounding. The strength he had to have to stand against all the influences I am sure were tugging at him and pursue his fashion career while growing up is incredible. 

I would hate to see him feel so defeated that he goes back to Baltimore and essentially gives up and gives in to what some (very wrong and misinformed ignorant people) would consider to be his inevitable end in Baltimore.

The city, the state, and basically the country, has all but given up on Baltimore and its black youth. The only people making a real difference in these kids' lives are people like Bishme -- black men in that community, who know what those kids live every day -- who volunteer their time, create community-organized programs and activities and support systems, and get in the weeds with these kids, trying to help them save themselves.  

Bishme is proof that your circumstances don't have to define you. But this loss, on top of the personal losses and struggles he dealt with in the 5 months they had to make the collection, in a high-risk environment? Its enough to break even the strongest person. 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 10

I haven't read any comments yet because I don't want to be spoiled. Just finished watching Christian's home visits and I have to admit that what I saw of Hester's collection, I kinda really liked. 😬😬😬

• Love 4

Also, just saw the part where Karli says, remember only 3 of you make it to the final runway show.

So, while I still hate this "twist" and think it's incredibly unfair to for one of the designers - who has put their heart and soul, blood sweat and tears, and hard work into something for 2 months - to get eliminated at least it's not a "surprise". Oh and why do I think it's going to be Bishmi? 😭😭😭

• Love 1

I was happy for all the final four - they're all creative and they all seem like nice people.  I hate to say it, but the workroom seemed like a happier place without Tessa and her little dark cloud.  I think Bishme was the right one to go - he may be the nicest guy on the planet, but he just didn't bring the kind of work he should have.  And I definitely have thought Sebastian would be a front-runner and that they were intentionally overlooking him early in the season.  Christian has been such a breath of fresh air (even though I love Tim).  I gave Karlie a chance, but I just am not happy with her.  I hope she'll be replaced next time around.   But I really love Heidi.  I want to BE Heidi.   (Hah!  I said Hester's home would look like Pee Wee's Playhouse, and I wasn't too far off.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, raven said:

NO!  Bishme broke my heart.  Him living in his studio reminded me of Christian living in a converted closet on his season.  Nina looked like she was tearing up when they told Bishme he was out..  I get it - his extra look was hideous - but I just can't with the ugly stuff Hester puts on the runway.  I knew she would move on though.

Bishme broke my heart too.

Christian did not live in a converted closet on his season.  He lived with his boyfriend who wrote the music for his runway show and apparently didn't want to be mentioned on the show.  Hence the little sham about Christian literally being in the closet.

Something must be wrong with me because I actually liked some of Hester's stuff.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, jrlr said:

I'm not a fan of Garo's style - most of it screams "costume" to me, although he is terrific at what he does, and his stuff is always polished and noticeable.  But even with his skills he couldn't pull off that ridiculous Nina tuxedo assignment, and it was a true mess.  He might have done better if he'd thought a little more outside the box and designed a short tuxedo dress - and also if he'd chosen a different fabric because that was just plain ugly.  

I was thinking about this today.  Garo said he had more looks than he needed for his collection - there wasn't a pair of pants in there that he could have use or modified to be the bottom of a suit and then concentrated on the jacket?  Or maybe that wouldn't have been allowed since they were supposed to be making a new look?

Garo's black outfit that Christian commented on during the home visit (it wasn't in his mini-collection last night) was gorgeous. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

there wasn't a pair of pants in there that he could have use or modified to be the bottom of a suit and then concentrated on the jacket?  Or maybe that wouldn't have been allowed since they were supposed to be making a new look?

I would imagine that wouldn't be allowed

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Samwise979 said:

I haven't read any comments yet because I don't want to be spoiled. Just finished watching Christian's home visits and I have to admit that what I saw of Hester's collection, I kinda really liked. 😬😬😬

Yeah, I really like the costumes in Clueless , too. Twenty years ago.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

No, I don't believe she said she was outright doing Clueless.

In the makeup studio Hester said "It's kind of like Clueless meets 70s glam"

What happened to Y2K Rococo?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Gloriosa said:

(Hah!  I said Hester's home would look like Pee Wee's Playhouse, and I wasn't too far off.)

"And finally designers, don't forget to use our Harajuku Accessory wall to decorate your studio"2017-feb13-harajukugirl-.thumb.jpg.30d6ed364f2bfd221cf671931940723f.jpg

• Useful 1
  • LOL 15
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, frogzapper said:

I actually like some of Hester's kooky designs and I'm interested to see her final runway collection, but yeah, I wish she had at least acknowledged that Christian gave her a (strong) nudge in the right direction to create her red outfit.

Me, too. There’s even a way she could have turned it to her advantage to talk about it: showing you listen to feedback and incorporate it thoughtfully, collaborating, benefiting from mentorship as if a mentorship were at stake, ahem...

• Love 4

I'm disappointed that none of the clown outfits of Hester's we saw in the workroom made it to the runway. It would have looked like a clown car had crashed with all the survivor's staggering about. I call "shenanigans" on the relatively-normal looking outfits that were shown, including the Elmo dress.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

"And finally designers, don't forget to use our Harajuku Accessory wall to decorate your studio"2017-feb13-harajukugirl-.thumb.jpg.30d6ed364f2bfd221cf671931940723f.jpg

I literally leaned way back in my chair when I scrolled down to this one. Which I think says it all about how I feel about Hester's "designs."

I love Sebastian and his designs are gorgeous,* but have a huge soft spot for Garo. I'm the kind of weirdo who would dress in a full on costume every day if given the opportunity, so I'm holding out hope that the pieces he chose for the mini collection are the worst of the lot and his full show will impress the judges. (Holding out hope <> holding my breath...)

* Unpopular opinion: I hate that orange coat / dress / basketweave / THING. The color - my least fave of the entire visual spectrum - doesn't help, but the design is just bizarre imo. The same weave as a detail on the jacket sleeves, is fabulous.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Heathrowe said:

I think that there is a BIG market for what she creates. I have a teen, I work in NYC. I see variations of what she is putting out on kids and walking down the street all the time.

yeah I thought the same thing-- I could see my 25 year old daughter wearing some of her more sedate things. 

• Love 1

Poor Bishme, life just overwhelmed him at the worst possible moment. 

That said, the finale is really between Hester and Sebastian. I like Garo and his work but it is costumey and dated - most of it looks like it could fit right in in the transvestite/transgender competitions on the show Pose (second season starting next week!) -- and that show chronicles a period almost 30 years gone.

I'm in the minority on this board - I like Hester's work, and if she wins it won't be because "the fix is in" (geez, everything is the subject of a conspiracy theory these days!) but because the judges think her work is more modern and interesting than Sebastian's. That may be a debatable viewpoint but that doesn't make it automatically invalid. 

Sebastian's work is gorgeous, beautiful, stunning -- but also gives a more conventional impression, even when unconventionally made (one of the reasons he gets short shrift sometimes, I think). 

So all in all, good return to form this season, PR! Christian is a great mentor and I enjoy seeing the mentor more involved than previously. I also like Karlie and Brandon (Brendon), and Nina, of course; the other regular judge didn't leave much of an impression and I wouldn't care if they replace her when they return. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

If we didn't actually see Bishme making his Nina dress on the floor I would have sworn he outsourced it to Jamaal's Comforter Line of dresses.

Will there be a Last Chance Workroom / All-Stars on the Bravo PR?

• Love 1

Did it look like Nina was emotional/holding back tears when she spoke to Bishme as the auf'd him? I feel like she had grown so disdainful and annoyed in the old Project Runway-this season she was much warmer and kind. 

• Love 15
12 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

So did Karlie (standing next to Christian), esp. in such high heels - she towers over him!  She’s obviously tall, but is she super tall?  Or is Christian super short?  Or are both true?

I think she's 6'2"....in heels probably 6'4" or more...the two of them standing next to each other is hilarious.

• Love 7

I wanted to see Bishme in the finale over Garo. Liked his other two looks. So sad for him that all the emotional turmoil in his life sapped his creativity when he needed it most. It would be hard for anyone to do their best with all that going on. I hope by now he's feeling better and less rocked by loss.

That said, Sebastian damn well better win this thing! If Hester wins I may throw up.

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, carrps said:

Yeah, I really like the costumes in Clueless , too. Twenty years ago.

Gwen Stefani would have worn those clothes in her videos back in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Edited by kicksave
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Rhetorica said:

Why didn't NuHeidi not hug Bishme?  He certainly needed one... 

It looked to me like he grabbed her hands and intercepted a hug - I guessed it was because his face was covered in tears and he was self-conscious. 

He is such a gracious person and I am so sorry this challenge went wrong for him. 

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, kicksave said:

Gwen Stefani would have worn those clothes in her videos back in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Gwen Stefani would have sold those clothes; from a 2016 article:

LAMB was selling so well (Newsweek pegged its revenues at around $100 million a few years after launch), the pop star expanded the company to include a cheaper, more accessible line called Harajuku Lovers.

(Why some called it "cultural appropriation" when the Japanese girls are wearing a mash-up of  Victorian, Mickey Mouse, and, catholic school uniforms, never fails to amuse me).

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Pop Tart said:

I had a question about the belts. When Christian visited him didn’t he say his dad had crafted the belts? That’s allowed apparently? I just think of the season where Laura accused Jeffrey of having his clothes sewn by someone else. And wasn’t there a designer who had a friend who designed shoes for their collection and when other contestants complained that designer was forced to give up the shoes? The belts are a pretty big component of Sebastian’s collection but it’s okay he didn’t make them?

I was paying close attention to that part too and was wondering if him saying that was going to be a problem. Then I mulled it over and was thinking well maybe he's just talking about the fact that his dad helps him make them in general. You know like before project runway and it was his language that made it sound like his father helped him with the ones for this particular collection. I told myself he was just explaining the work dynamic he and his father had before the show and the role he plays in crafting his designs but not necessarily that he had a hand in the actual work that went into creating the collection he would be showing for the show. That's what I came up with since it didn't seem like the show had a problem with his revelation. At least, so far they haven't.... 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Awww....Bishme. That sucks, especially since he’s proven he’s capable of so much more. I just hope the exposure from this show leads to something good for him. He deserves a break.

When I saw Sebastian’s collection, I thought they needed to just stop the show right then and declare a win. I want and require every one of his pieces.

Garo’s collection was, surprisingly, a big miss for me. I thought Bishme might actually have a shot for a minute.

Also surprisingly, I actually liked Hester’s red dress with the muppet skirt. I don’t understand why she initially chose a white dress— both of her other dresses were primarily white! That would have created an oddly monochromatic collection. 

I know Christian is not a tall man, but that shot of him following high-heeled Karlie into the workroom was ridiculous. It was like the Jolly Green Giantess leading her pet hobbit.

I had to rewind that scene like 6 times it was so very extreme. It's not that he just looks short he looks like he comes from a completely different species. It's exactly the visual you get when you see the Lord of the rings (special effects) of the hobbits standing next to the others except THERE WERE NO SPECIAL EFFECTS! I was a little disturbed and annoyed by it too. I mean is it really that necessary for Karlie to wear the highest of high heels when doing a scene standing next to Christian? I love me some Christian Siriano, I mean love, love, love and I know fo' sho' that he has no issue entering a room besides the tall beauty confidence wise but still. Why they gotta do my boy like that tho'???? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

My two cents:

Bishme was not in the right frame of mind to successfully do a collection. He was in mourning and his sister's illness weighed heavily on him. Also, I believe he's self taught...pretty good for having no formal training but I think he would benefit greatly from some classes and having a mentor. A few years of some training and a mentor and he would be ready to make a great collection and have total focus on his craft. He's such a sweet guy and so likable...it was hard watching him struggle.

Hester: I think her stuff is marketable to girls from 13-20. Anyone wearing that stuff over the age of 20 would look ridiculous...except if you're Katy Perry or Miley Cyrus. I don't think her stuff is particularly well made. Her apartment gave me a migraine. 

Garo: His stuff was shockingly bad. 

Sebastian: Clearly he is the best of the bunch...exquisite tailoring, beautiful designs and challenging materials that he used to make modern and cool clothes. His collection is a cut above the rest and is red carpet ready. Loved the evening gown...I could see the ballet influence in that one.

• Love 15
5 hours ago, millennium said:

Hester's place looked like the Archie McPhee showroom.

You’re not wrong! Have you been there? My friend lives across the street from it in Seattle! I may have shopped there a few times...

• Love 3
14 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

So did Karlie (standing next to Christian), esp. in such high heels - she towers over him!  She’s obviously tall, but is she super tall?  Or is Christian super short?  Or are both true?

According to google, Karlie is 6’2 and Christian is 5’4, so both!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

According to google, Karlie is 6’2 and Christian is 5’4, so both!!

"Next on Bravo:  The Hobbit and the Giant! A buddy comedy of unequaled proportions!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, kicksave said:

Hester: I think her stuff is marketable to girls from 13-20. Anyone wearing that stuff over the age of 20 would look ridiculous...except if you're Katy Perry or Miley Cyrus. I don't think her stuff is particularly well made. Her apartment gave me a migraine. 

I apologize to all the other people who commented on Hester's Clueless look - I was too lazy to go back and quote all your excellent comments.

Maybe I'm getting prudish in my old age but I keep thinking that Alicia Silverstone was supposed to be in high school when she wore that white dress.  Seeing it on a grown woman (especially with that styling) seemed, to me, to almost be bordering on fetish wear.  I didn't get that same vibe from the other pieces so maybe it's just me?  I don't know how old her model was, but something with the whole look seemed really off to me.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

You’re not wrong! Have you been there? My friend lives across the street from it in Seattle! I may have shopped there a few times...

LOL, no, but one day at work, an Archie McPhee catalog came to the office and we all wound up ordering a bunch of goofy crap.   I got a rubber frog (among other things) and it still sits on my desk today.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

What really annoys me about the judges lapping up Hester’s stuff is that it’s the same kind of disposable fast fashion mall crap that stores like Hot Topic and Wet Seal have been selling for 20+ years. Yes, there’s a market for it but it’s not innovative, fresh, new, or any of the other adjectives they keep throwing out there to describe her stuff. It’s just as dated and derivative as Garo’s stuff but for some reason the judges don’t want to admit it. 

Possibly the judges don't know? I mean, they ought to, but possibly they haven't been in a mall or near one of those stores in years, if ever.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

What really annoys me about the judges lapping up Hester’s stuff is that it’s the same kind of disposable fast fashion mall crap that stores like Hot Topic and Wet Seal have been selling for 20+ years. Yes, there’s a market for it but it’s not innovative, fresh, new, or any of the other adjectives they keep throwing out there to describe her stuff. It’s just as dated and derivative as Garo’s stuff but for some reason the judges don’t want to admit it. 

If this is true about Hester, then the judges are doubly wrong about her since the book about Hester is that she's fresh and original but might not have much of a market.