Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E13: One Elle of a Day

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

I will say that I was surprised by how much I liked Hester’s collection.  Of course, I expected like a bonfire involving spray paint cans of neon spray paint so that’s not saying much.

I liked Hester’s three pieces as well and actually look forward to seeing the rest. I felt bad for Bishme but only sort of liked the one all black outfit. The fluted skirt was attractive but paired with a sequin halter top? As an outfit he’d done during one of the 1-2 day challenges? That would be understandable, but not as part of a collection he worked on for months.

• Love 8

When Hester stabbed herself with the sewing machine needle, I tried so hard to not giggle but it came out anyway. Then her discovering an alleged blood stain had me thinking "guess ya shoulda gone with the red after all!"

</sociopath>

• LOL 16
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

The thing that hurts me the most is that Bishme's other two looks were fierce.  When the girl walked out in the black I just thought 'werk'. 

I get what Brandon was saying and I get that he was trying to be supportive.  But when you're mourning a family member and you can't draw a deep breath because one of the people you love the most could die, there is no 'tunnel vision'.  You're IN the tunnel.

But it's a competition not a charity event. I'm glad that the guest judge asked Bish what he WOULD have done but his new look was definitely the worst.

Yes, I thought the guest judge was very kind in asking that -- knowing what Bishme has been going through.  

Yet, it is a competition and Bishme's fell short this time.  Sigh.

• Love 12
On 6/3/2019 at 6:18 PM, Ashforth said:

Exactly! And that there will a "surprise" pre-runway elimination. Yawn.

In the past, they have always been transparent about the pre-finale elimination.  I feel this was really a surprise, and not in a good way.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Marmiarmo said:

I think it is completely unfair to give one designer a challenge consisting of “make anything you want, just don’t use a print” and another designer a challenge to “make a fitted suit”.  There is a hell of a lot of work that goes into making a fitted suit, as opposed to a skirt and T-shirt.  Garo got screwed.

You're right.  Completely unfair!  A tailored suit in a day vs a 3 hour straight-seemed Elmo outfit!  (I actually liked it better than some of her other designs, though).

• Love 22
52 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

I will say that I was surprised by how much I liked Hester’s collection.  Of course, I expected like a bonfire involving spray paint cans of neon spray paint so that’s not saying much.

Sebastian’s was so, so good.  And, yeah oh by the way, ballet dancer.  So boring, why mention it.  Love him.

Also, did none of the designers have Mimi for a model?  I don’t remember seeing her. 

At first I thought Sebastian said "Belly Dancer". but ballet makes more sense.  I think it did give him ideas for his clothes.  I really like his work

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, JenLily said:

I can't wait to see Sebastian's collection. Totally agreed with Elaine that I could see those belts at Hermès and I was absolutely blown away at the craftsmanship of those leather loopy things on his pieces. If he doesn't win this thing it'll be a travesty.

I had a question about the belts. When Christian visited him didn’t he say his dad had crafted the belts? That’s allowed apparently? I just think of the season where Laura accused Jeffrey of having his clothes sewn by someone else. And wasn’t there a designer who had a friend who designed shoes for their collection and when other contestants complained that designer was forced to give up the shoes? The belts are a pretty big component of Sebastian’s collection but it’s okay he didn’t make them?

• Useful 5
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, JenLily said:

I'm sad that we won't get to see what Bishme did but I think it was a mercy kill at this point. He still had two whole outfits to make as well as redo that terrible dress he did for Nina. I think he would've fallen apart. And frankly he looked more than a little relieved at being sent off so as much as I adored him, I'm happy with the way things went. But man, that black outfit was a killer. I wanted to see more of that. 😊

Yeah I almost felt like he purposely tanked the added outfit because he just wanted them to put him out of his misery.

• Love 2
(edited)

While there might be nice individual pieces or looks in Garo's, it lacked the cohesiveness that one expects from a collection. Bishme's looked cohesive, but I don't think there was a break from the sequins, sparkle, shiny, and the leather. It needed a respite. It's also not the best realization of his concept which is something beautiful and glamorous in unexpected places. His just seemed to be glamorous, but not unexpected.

Bishme needs a nice long stint at someone else's design house. He needs a significant amount of mentoring because he's pretty hit or miss when trying to edit himself.

14 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

I had a question about the belts. When Christian visited him didn’t he say his dad had crafted the belts? That’s allowed apparently? I just think of the season where Laura accused Jeffrey of having his clothes sewn by someone else. And wasn’t there a designer who had a friend who designed shoes for their collection and when other contestants complained that designer was forced to give up the shoes? The belts are a pretty big component of Sebastian’s collection but it’s okay he didn’t make them?

They've always been able to outsource, but they need receipts and the cost should be roughly market rate. Kara Saun got all of her custom shoes thrown out because she got them for free or nearly so. Actually, I went back to an old recap. She got the custom shoes for free. They've told her she broke the rules. She calls her friend up and the friend charges her $15/pair. The producers say it has to be market rate and this shoe company charges between $80 - $200 per pair so $15 is still not compliant. She didn't have enough money left for that.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Useful 8
  • Love 12

Very happy with final three, I think they have all earned their spots in the finale.

I'm very impressed with what we've seen of both Hester and Sebastian's collections. I loved the cherub print Hester made, and the poufy top and skirt (or was it a dress?) they showed a couple of times on camera. Sebastion's orange look was great, especially the jacket. His belts are beautiful. Garo has his work cut out for him. I did like the sparkly dress, but his other two looks were rough.

Christian's just been a delight all season. I wouldn't have minded seeing a bit more of the visits, they were great. 

Cant wait to see the final collections!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Callaphera said:

The other two looks Hester sent down the runway tonight looked like they were heavily inspired by the character of Amber from the same movie. The only thing missing was Paul Rudd being adorable as hell. 

Thank you! I thought her entire collection looked like imitations of the Clueless cast wardrobe, down to the knee highs and cutesy handbags. I couldn't believe none of the judges mentioned that. There is inspiration and there is derivative. What is fashion forward about copying a look from the 90s?

Bishme was hard to watch. Poor guy. His collection just wasn't what it needed to be. I was glad for him to be out, if for no reason other than he needed to remove that weight of winning a contest on top of everything going on. His time isn't just yet that's all. 

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

Just how tall is Sebastian's husband, anyway? He looked about twice as tall as Christian.

So did Karlie (standing next to Christian), esp. in such high heels - she towers over him!  She’s obviously tall, but is she super tall?  Or is Christian super short?  Or are both true?

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Hester’s “breather piece” was all Christian.  But you wouldn’t know it the way she talked about it.

I actually like some of Hester's kooky designs and I'm interested to see her final runway collection, but yeah, I wish she had at least acknowledged that Christian gave her a (strong) nudge in the right direction to create her red outfit.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

I don’t know the exact rules, but I do recall other designers contracting out certain things.  The reason Kara’s shoes (I think)were not allowed is that her friend gave her the shoes at a huge discount and that was unfair.  I think the idea is that if Sebastian paid his dad a fair market value for the work, it’s allowed.

Oh, I remember shoe-gate! That debacle was contrasted with Jay’s proper contracting out his knitwear, with all the receipts included.

• Love 11

Part of me wishes Tessa had made the top four just so she could have a nervous breakdown when Nina's assignment for her was making a non-black outfit. Ha, or even better, having to make something with a neon print (aka using Hester's discards).

I have bitched about Hester several times during the season, but I would not wish sewing through your finger on anyone. I would have been hysterical. I loved seeing how calm Garo was when he went over to help her. Christian was right about that white outfit though. It looked cheap and tacky. I didn't love the red version but it was still a huge improvement.

And poor Bishme. I just wanted to give him repeated hugs throughout the episode. I can't believe he managed to keep it together until the runway. I would have been a sobbing mess the entire time if I were him.

Hester's three pieces were all Clueless. I hope her other pieces aren't as derivative and dated.

Garo's lavender suit was terrible (although not nearly as terrible as Bishme's hoodie dress).

I really hope Sebastian wins next week. He's been so consistently good all season.

I found it interesting that Karlie told the designers that their final collections are supposed to be wearable aka not all couture or dramatic show pieces.

• Love 19
53 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Hester's three pieces were all Clueless. I hope her other pieces aren't as derivative and dated.

I’m hoping that someone on Twitter asks the judges if they’re seen the movie.  

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14

Awww....Bishme. That sucks, especially since he’s proven he’s capable of so much more. I just hope the exposure from this show leads to something good for him. He deserves a break.

When I saw Sebastian’s collection, I thought they needed to just stop the show right then and declare a win. I want and require every one of his pieces.

Garo’s collection was, surprisingly, a big miss for me. I thought Bishme might actually have a shot for a minute.

Also surprisingly, I actually liked Hester’s red dress with the muppet skirt. I don’t understand why she initially chose a white dress— both of her other dresses were primarily white! That would have created an oddly monochromatic collection. 

I know Christian is not a tall man, but that shot of him following high-heeled Karlie into the workroom was ridiculous. It was like the Jolly Green Giantess leading her pet hobbit.

• LOL 5
  • Love 10
41 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I know Christian is not a tall man, but that shot of him following high-heeled Karlie into the workroom was ridiculous. It was like the Jolly Green Giantess leading her pet hobbit.

I swear it looked like she was standing on a crate next to him.

I kind of liked Hester's prints-- they reminded me of victorian-inspired Christmas ornaments my husband's uncle used to create and sell at Gumps in SF. She certainly has lots of "ideas."

• Love 2
4 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

So did Karlie (standing next to Christian), esp. in such high heels - she towers over him!  She’s obviously tall, but is she super tall?  Or is Christian super short?  Or are both true?

Both are true.  Karlie is 6’2” in bare feet, while Christian is 5’4”.

• Useful 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, JenLily said:

I'm sad that we won't get to see what Bishme did but I think it was a mercy kill at this point. He still had two whole outfits to make as well as redo that terrible dress he did for Nina. I think he would've fallen apart. And frankly he looked more than a little relieved at being sent off so as much as I adored him, I'm happy with the way things went. But man, that black outfit was a killer. I wanted to see more of that.

Totally agree. I don't think there's any way Bishme could have made three more outfits before the final runway.

I think Nina really hates Garo and was trying to give Bishme something she knew he could do well (his previous jacket was good). She gave Garo an impossible task, hoping he'd fail and could be eliminated. Hester and Sebastian's tasks were also easy, although Hester nearly blew it. She's lucky she bled on the white monstrosity and had to redo it (in red).

• Useful 5
  • Love 10
(edited)

Loved that the guest judge (from the CFDA??) saiCd Sebastian's designs were ready for Fashion Week.  However, since the FDA is giving a mentorship, not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.  On one hand, they may think he doesn't need the help.  On the other, they may like the idea of working with someone who has the potential to be very successful.

Sad about Bishme, but I don't think he was ready...,  I don't hate Hester.  She's seems nice, unlike Tessa.  But she's not as original as she thinks she is.  As for Garo... given the comments he's been given.  He doesn't have a chance.

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 14
(edited)

Didn't Bishme say that he was self-taught? It shows. He has a charming personality, except for that time he lashed out at Tessa, but I think his skill levels as a designer and a sewer pale beside the other three contestants. Also, I hate the on-camera dramatics - throwing oneself down on a sofa? - from anyone and regardless of their genesis. In a couple of quick camera shots, he could barely keep his eyes open, even while standing on the runway in front of the judges. Perhaps he had been losing sleep while caring for his sister?

Hester's skill level is very apparent, and I think she's a good person, but a win for her would be gimmicky. Her look isn't commercial, unless it is watered down. And I feel like we've seen it in Japan a lot.

Sebastian's looks were divine and a nod back to this show's first season. If CFDA wants some mileage out of their partnership with this show, it will influence the decision on the winner and the Hester-emphasis has been for TV ratings.

I love Christian as the mentor.

ETA: I smell producer manipulation is the assignment of a tailored suit to Garo. Not fair.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, plurie said:

Hester and Sebastian's tasks were also easy, although Hester nearly blew it. She's lucky she bled on the white monstrosity and had to redo it (in red).

Hester’s third outfit was as much Christian’s as hers.   He gave her specific advice repeatedly that saved her.  Bishme got “Oh I’m sure you’ll think of something”.  No brainstorming or suggestions of any real use for him.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 22

I was sad to see Bishme go but agree it was the right call. It definitely looked probable that he would have really struggled to put together 3 final looks in time--and his 11th look was just so bad. He clearly was overwhelmed with personal issues and it did not look like he'd be able to rally and take a tunnel vision approach.

Hester was less annoying with more time to work and her designs were better than in the challenges. I still really want Sebastian to win. His looks to be the strongest.

I loved the home visits--and I kind of liked making it shorter (we didn't see a dinner with each designer like we would with Tim). Christian's reactions were so funny especially when he showed up at Garo's place. I could watch a whole series just with Christian traveling around and giving running commentary. Maybe they could rehash that show that had Austin Scarlet and Santino traveling around and making clothes for people. It was a fun little show. They actually did an episode in my home town and made a pageant dress for the local Miss pageant. My mom told me Santino asked to address the audience and was just super nice--that part was not shown in the show. I digress.

• Love 22
24 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I loved the home visits--and I kind of liked making it shorter (we didn't see a dinner with each designer like we would with Tim). 

Hester's place looked like the Archie McPhee showroom.

• LOL 8
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I have bitched about Hester several times during the season, but I would not wish sewing through your finger on anyone. I would have been hysterical. I loved seeing how calm Garo was when he went over to help her.

I call big time BS on that. I've run over my finger with a sewing machine twice in my sewing career, once with an old all-metal Singer and about two years ago with an industrial Juki machine during a workshop I was taking (the needle also went right through my nail). I certainly didn't scream and cry and carry on. I went to the bathroom and ran it under the faucet for about ten minutes to try and stop the bleeding and then wrapped it up in gauze and bandaids and kept sewing. It did hurt like a mofo, though. Hester didn't even have a band-aid on the next day. 

Anybody watch What We Do in the Shadows? Hester reminds me of an emotional vampire. "Hey Everybody - my design was altered because I ran over my finger, blah, blah". She's so needy for attention that she sucks the life out of everybody (including Christian) to make her designs. And I hate that I liked the challenge outfit but y'all pointed out that it's because it looks like Cher in Clueless. 

Poor Bishme. He looked so defeated. I wish him nothing but good wishes as he navigates his life with his sister's illness. Hopefully he can move forward with his fashion career. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
10 hours ago, Callaphera said:

The other two looks Hester sent down the runway tonight looked like they were heavily inspired by the character of Amber from the same movie. The only thing missing was Paul Rudd being adorable as hell. 

He certainly would have helped the collection, mostly by drawing attention away from it.

And what kind of answer was that when a judge asked her what the red fur material was? "It's the same as this red fur." Well, duh. They can see that. How does that tell what it is?

• LOL 8
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, Pop Tart said:

I thought he said his dad crafted belts and that is where he learned to do it himself (but I may have totally misheard 🙂 ).

• Useful 2

Please go read Bishme's Instagram post about this episode. It made me cry all over again 😪

He is such a sweet soul and I wish him the best. His studio is not in a great area but I just feel he can bring so many positive things.

I have NEVER been so emotional about a reality TV person before...just something about him moves me.

• Love 22
2 hours ago, terrymct said:

Hester’s third outfit was as much Christian’s as hers.   He gave her specific advice repeatedly that saved her.  Bishme got “Oh I’m sure you’ll think of something”.  No brainstorming or suggestions of any real use for him.  

That pissed me off.  As someone above said, Christian did everything but sew Hester's design and he's been much more helpful with other designers.  The fix is in.  They love Bishme but I think they were okay with him going because he posed a real threat to their favourite.   Nothing that Hester has done for the entire run of the show matched the black outfit Bishme did while he was in mourning.

• Love 9

I thought Sebastian said "belly dancer" as well, and I think that's why the judges reacted so much to it, and then had to cover it up by pretending they knew he said 'ballet dancer'.

I started out hating Hester... I'm still not a huge fan, but personally, I don't mind her much anymore.  Her entire personal style and her work is very contrived to me, like she looked at Katy Perry circa the "Teenage Dream" era and said "THAT!  That's my aesthetic!"  She did outright say she was doing "Clueless", correct?  I think the designs were a bit on the nose but I didn't really fault her for the Clueless looks.

I'm not someone who sews - but it seems like Hester's mishap would be an occupational hazard?  Was that an overreaction?

It's sad to see Bishme go, although I think it was the right choice.  He was extremely gracious on the way out also.  What a lovely guy.  It's nice after a season of fairly bad personalities, the final four seemed to be a sweet bunch who were supportive to each other.

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I call big time BS on that. I've run over my finger with a sewing machine twice in my sewing career, once with an old all-metal Singer and about two years ago with an industrial Juki machine during a workshop I was taking (the needle also went right through my nail). I certainly didn't scream and cry and carry on. I went to the bathroom and ran it under the faucet for about ten minutes to try and stop the bleeding and then wrapped it up in gauze and bandaids and kept sewing. It did hurt like a mofo, though. Hester didn't even have a band-aid on the next day. 

Anybody watch What We Do in the Shadows? Hester reminds me of an emotional vampire. "Hey Everybody - my design was altered because I ran over my finger, blah, blah". She's so needy for attention that she sucks the life out of everybody (including Christian) to make her designs. And I hate that I liked the challenge outfit but y'all pointed out that it's because it looks like Cher in Clueless. 

Poor Bishme. He looked so defeated. I wish him nothing but good wishes as he navigates his life with his sister's illness. Hopefully he can move forward with his fashion career. 

I think that Hester was scared that Bishme was getting all the attention.  I don't think she faked her injury or did it deliberately but if the needle had gone THROUGH her finger, there would have been way more blood and she would have had to go to hospital.  I thought it was interesting that there was no bandage on her hand the next day.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10