Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E13: One Elle of a Day

• Start Topic

The remaining designers arrive at a new work space to unpack their collections and learn their final challenge. Nina Garcia meets them at the Elle Magazine offices and the designers are sent spiraling when tasked with a surprise eleventh look. In the end, only three of them will move on to compete in the finale.

Original air date: 6/6/19

On 6/2/2019 at 7:47 PM, caitmcg said:

Any designer who has watched the show prior to competing knows they will be required to do another look for their collections at the last minute.

Exactly! And that there will a "surprise" pre-runway elimination. Yawn.

• Love 13
On 6/2/2019 at 7:39 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:
On 6/2/2019 at 7:39 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Original air date: 6/6/19

On The Struggle Bus today with getting the stupid device to work and get rid of text quote box, so I give up. I know we are all used to the surprise elimination and the addition of one more look right before the finale, but it sure seems like giving them months to work and a big budget and then not letting one present in the finale sucks. Better not be Bishme or Sebastian that doesn't get to show.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, jacksgirl said:

On The Struggle Bus today with getting the stupid device to work and get rid of text quote box, so I give up. I know we are all used to the surprise elimination and the addition of one more look right before the finale, but it sure seems like giving them months to work and a big budget and then not letting one present in the finale sucks. Better not be Bishme or Sebastian that doesn't get to show.

This. It was okay (ish) when the booted "finalist" still got to at least do their show at NYFW, but this feels unnecessarily harsh. But to be fair, I might feel that way because I really like all three of the guys, and the odds of Hester being the bootee are slim.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

I know we are all used to the surprise elimination and the addition of one more look right before the finale, but it sure seems like giving them months to work and a big budget and then not letting one present in the finale sucks. Better not be Bishme or Sebastian that doesn't get to show.

They always used to tell the contestants that there was going to be an elimination because they wanted to see the collections and couldn't decide who to eliminate.  Since they were showing at fashion week the eliminated contestant still got to show along with the decoy collections - they were basically letting that person know that they weren't going to win.  This time they have not said there will be an elimination.  I don't know where they are showing the collections this time around but I'm guessing the "eliminated" designer will still show - we just might not see it.  There were always people who showed/spoiled the eliminated collections in the past - wonder if that will still happen.  (I can't remember the season - maybe Ashley's? - but remember people saying Swapnil - who had been eliminated several challenges earlier had the most beautiful collection.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Poor Bishme. He’s really not into this. His three looks weren’t good. I didn’t like how they were all made to do a look per Nina, that should not have been done in a finale. Just my opinion. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 15
7 minutes ago, doobiedo said:

When Hester’s first look came out, I was struck by the fact that I saw that same outfit on Alicia Silverstone in Clueless 

Ugh; that first outfit was awful.

I feel so bad for Bishme, but from what I saw, he had a lot of sequins and "bling" in his collection -- not my thing.  Maybe I missed?  So hard to stay focused with losing a family member and his sister with cancer.  😢

• Love 18
6 minutes ago, heckkitty said:

Wrong choice, IMO. I’ve liked some of the stuff Garo has made, but it doesn’t look retro, it just looks old. 

I very much dislike his caped looks like on the sequin dress tonight, which otherwise was pretty.  But I'm not a cape person.

Loved Nina's heartfelt goodbye to Bishme.

• Love 6

Poor Bishme! Such a fine young man and a talented designer. I wish him well.

From the limited view of the remaining designers collections, Sebastian should have this win in the bag. That orange look was stunning. 

Having said that, I’m concerned about the enthusiasm for Hester’s looks. I get the sense that they decided early on that they wanted a winner that represented “young and fun” and that led them to Hester. Of course, many of her looks are silly and not wearable.

Garo has skill but I don’t particularly care for anything he has done.

• Love 24

My broadcast is behind everyone else, but I know that Bishme is out.  I'm so sad for him, especially because he's such a lovely young man who is dealing with a lot of sorrow right now.  But his wonderfulness still shines through.

I hope Dapper Dan gives Bishme a job.

I've been saying from the very beginning that the fix is in for Hester.  They think she's the future.

• Love 19
1 minute ago, chitowngirl said:

Hester’s collection will do well with the K-Pop crowd.

It already is -- that sheer top knee socks look was worn in the 90s and is back today. It's nothing new.

• Useful 2
  • Love 19

How are these models?? Seriously. I understand the trend for inclusiveness, but these women’s bodies do not present the garments in the best way possible. It seems an extra element of stress for the designers. I’m really not into it, I guess.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, Supagirl said:

How are these models?? Seriously. I understand the trend for inclusiveness, but these women’s bodies do not present the garments in the best way possible. It seems an extra element of stress for the designers. I’m really not into it, I guess.

I agree completely.  I've seen plus-size models who are fiercer than fierce.  But it looks like they picked the big girls on this show off the street.  It's so unfair to the designers. 

• Love 24

Sebastian has been the best designer throughout this show if not always the most interesting or innovative.  But I don't think he's going to win.  We barely know anything about him and that's a big sign, as far as I'm concerned.  On the other hand, we know what Hester had for breakfast.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6
22 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

Poor Bishme! Such a fine young man and a talented designer. I wish him well.

From the limited view of the remaining designers collections, Sebastian should have this win in the bag. That orange look was stunning. 

Having said that, I’m concerned about the enthusiasm for Hester’s looks. I get the sense that they decided early on that they wanted a winner that represented “young and fun” and that led them to Hester. Of course, many of her looks are silly and not wearable.

Garo has skill but I don’t particularly care for anything he has done.

I agree, but I feel like the judges (especially Nina) are looking for something "fresh", which I guess translates into Hester-ish.  I'm so sorry, Hester, but you are now ready to "dress America"??  Not this woman - never, ever, ever!!  I wouldn't be caught dead in your ugly prints, short skirts with knee-highs, or Elmo outfits with Madonna breast cones!!!  

Nina commented that Hester's looks are all "very editorial" - to me, editorial does not equate being able to wear it outside of a photo shoot.  I cannot imagine anyone except some young tween/teen wearing Hester's looks.  

And, on the topic of Hester-she has the most absolutely horrendous posture I've ever seen!!!  Hunched over (I guess because she's tall), head down, stomach protuding - it's terrible!  She is going to regret that posture as she gets older - it will cause all kinds of back issues for her.

I feel so bad for Bishme, but to be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with much of his collection that we saw.  I did love the black leather ruffled skirt, but that was about it.  The rest looked cheap - too many contrasting colors, too much glitter and sequins.  I do think he will do well once he gets out of his own head.  I felt horrible for him with all that he was going through since the last episode, and my heart was breaking for him.  He's got a lot on his plate.  

I also wasn't overly crazy with much of what I saw of Garo's designs, either.  That suit was very, very dated, as were a lot of the other designs.  Brandon was right with the "Working Girl" comparison.

Sebastian for the win!!  

• Love 17
6 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

I agree completely.  I've seen plus-size models who are fiercer than fierce.  But it looks like they picked the big girls on this show off the street.  It's so unfair to the designers. 

I also saw this.  Bishme's model was larger (probably smaller than me), and the combo of her and his awful new design were not good.  I feel ashamed for saying this too.

• Love 20
5 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

Sebastian has been the best designer throughout this show if not always the most interesting or innovative.  But I don't think he's going to win.  We barely know anything about him and that's a big sign, as far as I'm concerned.  On the other hand, we know what Hester had for breakfast.

Yeah - because she slapped that shit on a pattern design program and made a printed fabric out of it and then created another "cutesy" jumper out the fabric, and sent it down the runway with a crop top or see through blouse, knee highs and platform rainbow sneakers

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

I’m so happy Hester finally got a model that wasn’t one of the size zeros. Best part of the episode was when they hugged at the end and her dumb beret fell off.

i felt bad for Bishme because he really could’ve used the money and the mentorship if he won, unlike Garo, but I know they have to base the judging on his work and not just sympathize with his personal issues. It was funny when they asked if there is an audience for Garo’s collection because I don’t think there is, other than rock stars who need performance outfits.

• LOL 3
  • Love 19