Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: The Price of Admission

On 6/10/2019 at 4:51 PM, johntfs said:

I'll also say that while I miss Aidan Quinn and am looking forward to him doing more than lying down with prop tubes down his throat, I really liked Rob Bartlett as Captain Dwyer and I wouldn't mind a few more episode with him.

Am I the only one that was utterly relieved that he wasn't brought in as an obvious antagonist to Watson and Holmes just to stir things up and make it difficult?  If he is everything as shown so far, he has two divisions to run, he trusts Marcus and his co-workers because Tommy did, and he just needs the bare-bones briefings because he really has too much crap on his plate right now.  And yeah he is old-school, but he can't argue with results, and of course he doesn't give a hoot who killed the serial killer.

• Love 12
(edited)
21 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Am I the only one that was utterly relieved that he wasn't brought in as an obvious antagonist to Watson and Holmes just to stir things up and make it difficult?  If he is everything as shown so far, he has two divisions to run, he trusts Marcus and his co-workers because Tommy did, and he just needs the bare-bones briefings because he really has too much crap on his plate right now.  And yeah he is old-school, but he can't argue with results, and of course he doesn't give a hoot who killed the serial killer.

You are not the only one.  When Bell was talking about how Dwyer doesn't mince words, I was gritting my teeth and bracing myself thinking, "Oh, Jesus, here it comes.  The Preemptive Chewing Out.  He's going to sneer at Joan talk about how real cops don't need civvies and they'd better watch their step because-"

And then none of that.  Dwyer trusts Gregson.  Gregson trusts Holmes and Watson and that's good enough 'cause he's got other shit to deal with.  Meanwhile, one less twist in the world is an improvement to the world.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, johntfs said:

You are not the only one.  When Bell was talking about how Dwyer doesn't mince words, I was gritting my teeth and bracing myself thinking, "Oh, Jesus, here comes.  The Preemptive Chewing Out.  He's going to sneer at Joan talk about how real cops don't need civvies and they'd better watch their step because-"

And then none of that.  Dwyer trusts Gregson.  Gregson trusts Holmes and Watson and that's good enough 'cause he's got other shit to deal with.  Meanwhile, one less twist in the world is an improvement to the world.

Yup...I love it.  Totally believable too.  Dwyer has enough crap to deal with at his own division that micro-managing a well-run division isn't worth his effort.  I love how his reaction to Bell's elaborate presentation was like WTH, you think I have time to listen to a freaking opening statement?

• Love 6

Refreshingly real response from him, too. Not everyone lives to glorify in the maximum amount of power/control/disruption they can muster. Most people are actually relieved to delegate and not have to think about what everyone else is doing. I enjoyed seeing a boss who is just glad they're doing their jobs so he can do his and go home.

• Love 5

Maybe it was my mood or something but this episode was a blah one for me.  The crime was too convoluted for me to follow or really care about.  I would have thought they would be concentrating on the Captain since that is the reason they came back and Sherlock went through all of his scheming.

• Love 2
On 6/7/2019 at 4:58 PM, possibilities said:

I always have trouble with the sound on this show. It is always too quiet and too fuzzy. Turning up the volume is not enough, because it's always garbled. I don't have this with other tv shows, not even ones on CBS. It's been problematic since the very first episode.

I figure Sherlock's friend was instructed not to successfully shoot the guy, just scare him. I'm sure Sherlock knows some excellent marksmen who know how to NOT hit a target.

Well, he did say it was bullet proof glass (pardon me, bullet resistant), so the aim, so to speak, was always to scare the guy buy shooting in his general direction. (not that you don't have to be a good marksman to do that).

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, he did say it was bullet proof glass (pardon me, bullet resistant), so the aim, so to speak, was always to scare the guy buy shooting in his general direction. (not that you don't have to be a good marksman to do that).

Yeah, but at some point, bullet-resistant glass becomes bullet-penetratable and some of those last shots looked to be pretty damn close and not merely in the general direction.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Yeah, but at some point, bullet-resistant glass becomes bullet-penetratable and some of those last shots looked to be pretty damn close and not merely in the general direction.

True enough -which is why I added bullet resistant to the description (using Sherlock's words, I think), indicating that it wasn't impenetrable at some point. Camera angles and such didn't really give me a good enough perspective, but I do agree it was meant to be close enough from the target's perspective.

A truly excellent marksman can make it look real without putting the target in any true danger, as @possibilities said (and I've come around to that after quipping my way through a post.

I also got the impression the shooter was doing the occasional test shot to be sure of the point at which the bullet would penetrate the glass.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2