Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: Auditions 1

• Start Topic

The first round of auditions begins on the 16th season of the hit dance competition series SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, as highly-skilled dancers between the ages of 18 and 30 showcase their talents in various dance styles, including contemporary, tap, hip-hop, ballroom, animation, breaking and more. Those who are selected to move on to the SYTYCD studio will work with world-renowned choreographers and compete each week for America's votes in a variety of styles. Contestants will be eliminated weekly until a winner is named on the season finale. Joining Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy at the judging table for auditions are Laurieann Gibson, Lady Gaga's longtime choreographer and creative director, and SYTYCD alum Dominic "D-Trix" Sandoval.

Original air date: 6/3/19

Maybe I’m getting too old for this?  I mean, the first girl was nice and all, but the standing O’s IMO were so over the top and irritating from the jump.

Oh.  I guess standing O’s are the theme.  Ok then.

I miss tWitch.

I had pants like the Australian girl was wearing back in the 90’s and I wish I still had those pants.  Unfortunately I didn’t look as amazing as she does in them.

“You moms are all awesome and inspiring, but you know what you need?  A MAN.”

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I'm not loving some of the changes.  I've always disliked the packages about auditioning contestants, so making them even more slick and personal is not going to meet with my approbation. 

The overthetopness of SEASON SIXTEEN is reaching epic levels in epi 1, but all the reality shows do that so far as I can tell.  I just wish that ONE of the shows would treat us like we didn't want to hear all of the same cliches all of the time. 

I definitely do not like LAG's OTT judging to the point where I was ffing through the judges by the second dance.  I wasn't nuts about DTrix's emotionalness either.  Gah.  Bring back lil C and tWitch (or Lu Brown - I really miss him and Mary flirting at the judges' table).

• Love 10

Really only liked the contemporary guys' auditions, but I was glad to see Stephanie Sosa (and Dayna Madison, in the montage) from last year return. They got screwed with the Top 20 head games, so hopefully somebody from that group will get a real shot this time. [crosses fingers for Emily and Dustin to show up] I guess it's officially a Top 10 this year? At least they're not leading us on again.

I'm genuinely surprised they put Australian Sarah through. In prior seasons, I would've labeled her an "entertainer" and sent her to Ye Olde Choreography Round.

• Love 5

Facility must have been the word of the day on the judge's calendars.  The tears need to stop too.  Not impressed with the new female judges credentials.  I've seen some of those pop stars they mentioned she has choreographed lurching about on stage during performances. This show lost me during their kiddy season. I stopped watching about 1/4 way through last season but thought I'd give it another chance.  It's trying with the latest format, but it still seems to have lost the spark it had during the first five or six seasons.  I have a feeling I'm going to be letting most of the upcoming episodes languish in DVR limbo.

• Love 6

That stage set up better have been because auditions occurred close enough in time after WOD finished filming that they got a really good deal to use it for auditions.  If it sticks around for live competition I will not be a happy camper.

I've more than drained my reserve of patience for LAG.  Actually that happened within the first 10 minutes.  

My years of experience watching the show have finally resulted in actual skills -- I called it that Dominic knew Ms. Jazz from Brisbane long before her audition ended and they revealed Ryan Conferido in the audience as her boyfriend.  If only my newfound skills were marketable . . .  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, PhoneCop said:

I'm genuinely surprised they put Australian Sarah through. In prior seasons, I would've labeled her an "entertainer" and sent her to Ye Olde Choreography Round.

Is that even an option now? I don't remember hearing them say anything about a choreography round for those they have doubts about. I did FF through some of the blah blah blah parts, so maybe I missed them explaining that.

I like the cool 3-D camera work but I miss the try-outs looking like a barren theater. I liked the low-tech look of just the dancer and a bare stage for auditions.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Did I seriously just sit through a whole hour to watch five auditions? 

This why I record and watch later. I don't care about the up close & personal crap. Just dance.

• Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, PhoneCop said:

The judges saw through the comedy to see her dance skill.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SHD said:

I liked the low-tech look of just the dancer and a bare stage for auditions.

Absolutely, because that's the real world of auditions. Not a lot of glamour. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Tikichick said:

My years of experience watching the show have finally resulted in actual skills -- I called it that Dominic knew Ms. Jazz from Brisbane long before her audition ended and they revealed Ryan Conferido in the audience as her boyfriend.  If only my newfound skills were marketable . . .  

Yup knew that Sarah and Dominic previously knew each other.  Ryan confirmed it.  Her routine was entertaining and I did see skills and musicality.  But I wanted to see a little more technique even if it was just finishing the one pirouette instead of faking it.   I agree with that previously, she would have went to the choreography round which they don't have anymore.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, realdancemom said:

But I wanted to see a little more technique even if it was just finishing the one pirouette instead of faking it.  

Hmm. I thought there was just enough technique in it to show the judges what she had, IMO. I thought her centre leap and her forward tumbling move showed good control, and she showed pretty nice fluidity and control over moves at several other points. I didn't watch the full episode though, so IDK what she's branded herself as. Contemporary?

As for Cosculluela, I liked his moment quality at points, but his routine is exactly the kind of thing what dance needs less of, IMO.

Edited by displayname
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, displayname said:

Hmm. I thought there was just enough technique in it to show the judges what she had, IMO. I thought her centre leap and her forward tumbling move showed good control, and she showed pretty nice fluidity and control over moves at several other points. I didn't watch the full episode though, so IDK what she's branded herself as. Contemporary?

As for Cosculluela, I liked his moment quality at points, but his routine is exactly the kind of thing what dance needs less of, IMO.

Yes, Sarah did have a nice leap.  Don't remember her forward tumbling move.  That's why I just needed to see at least one turn.  I don't need a lot of tricks or technique.  I hate competition routines for this reason.

Don't know Coscullela.  Was that Gino?

(edited)
14 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

Don't know Coscullela.  Was that Gino?

Yes, that was in response to someone else mentioning him. Just a thought that passed my mind after his name was brought up.

Don't remember her forward tumbling move.

Here (I actually forgot what this thing is called, hence the "forward tumbling move". Is it even a tumble? Well, handstand and a smooth exit lol) She showed great flexibility and control on this move, so I wasn't too sad about not too many technical tricks being on it.

I don't need a lot of tricks or technique.  I hate competition routines for this reason.

Yes, agreed. I'd actually probably agree that the choreography was underwhelming, but I don't think they need to break out a great solo right now, and she focused on performance/musicality instead. I do wish a few more interesting things were there, but it was enough for me.

Edited by displayname

I love watching this show. I do hope that this new audition format will diminish the awkward moments where the dancer really thinks they have what it takes but it's so bad. Watching the cringeably bad auditions is my least favourite part. The moms made me cringe, but It was just mild compared to say that guy who called himself Sex.

I do wish they didn't let so many spectators so close to the stage. It takes away from the actual audition, as does the screaming from said audience. Finally, I wish there weren't as many cutaways to the audience for their reaction during the audition. Instead of seeing the amazing leap from the dancer, I get to look at some stranger in the audience with their mouth agape? No thanks.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, displayname said:

Yes, that was in response to someone else mentioning him. Just a thought that passed my mind after his name was brought up.

Here (I actually forgot what this thing is called, hence the "forward tumbling move". Is it even a tumble? Well, handstand and a smooth exit lol) She showed great flexibility and control on this move, so I wasn't too sad about not too many technical tricks being on it.

Yes, agreed. I'd actually probably agree that the choreography was underwhelming, but I don't think they need to break out a great solo right now, and she focused on performance/musicality instead. I do wish a few more interesting things were there, but it was enough for me.

Thanks for the clip.  Looks like Sarah did a front walkover which non-dancers can do.  What's nice is that a little bit after, she did do her nice side leap.  I think we more or less agree.  She is a good performer and shows great musicality and timing.  It's also nice to see humor instead of angst in a routine.  I wanted to see at least one turn or something else that shows a little more technique.  However without a choreography round, I would have sent her straight through too. 

31 minutes ago, Lily H said:

Mary's looking more plastic than ever.

Mary, Nigel, and LAG

• Love 6

I think Sarah did enough technical dance skills that showed she clearly had training. She did a center split leap, chaîné turns, a fan kick, a turning ring leap, etc. and they were all done cleanly (the turning ring leap was the only one that wasn't 100%). The jokey disco dancing was all done with control and precision (unlike some of the joke auditions we have seen in the past where the joke dancing was sloppy and out of control).

It will be interesting to see if she can show that much personality in assigned dances if she makes it to the top 20.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The jokey disco dancing was all done with control and precision (unlike some of the joke auditions we have seen in the past where the joke dancing was sloppy and out of control).

The worm was pretty nice too! 😃

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

This week's auditions:

Stephanie & Ezra Sosa perform to "Proud Mary"

Dezi Saenz performs to "Thinking"

Matthew Deloch performs to "Glacier"

Sarah "Smac" McCreanor performs to "Boogie Wonderland" by Earth, Wind & Fire

Gino Cosculluela performs to "For All We Know"

• Love 2

I thought Stephanie was noticeably better than her brother Ezra, but maybe that's just because I couldn't see his legs against the black stage. How could Nigel see enough to say his flicks were the best he's seen?

I liked Dezi but I could not believe that BoomKat was going on and on about how amazing and transcendent she is. It's only the first episode so could we cool it with the hyperbole?

Matthew gets points for coming back after injuring his meniscus. Just thinking about that freaks me out! His turns are great.

Gino was every contemporary routine I've ever seen. If he makes the top 20, he is going to get praised every week for his emotional connection. His technique is good but I was bored with his routine.

I'm glad they didn't let Amanda the hip hop mom go through just because of her story. She wasn't a horrible dancer but she also wasn't great. It was especially obvious near the end of the routine. Keep on dancing with your mom friends and having fun though, girl!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I think Sarah did enough technical dance skills that showed she clearly had training. She did a center split leap, chaîné turns, a fan kick, a turning ring leap, etc. and they were all done cleanly (the turning ring leap was the only one that wasn't 100%). The jokey disco dancing was all done with control and precision (unlike some of the joke auditions we have seen in the past where the joke dancing was sloppy and out of control).

It will be interesting to see if she can show that much personality in assigned dances if she makes it to the top 20.

Oh yes, I do remember her doing nice chaine turns when I watched it yesterday.  I think I just get used to watching people do different and difficult technique moves on these type of shows and IRL.  

Good grief gravy that was ridiculous. The first girl did not change the world of hip hop or whatever the frack the words the judges tongue bathed her with. Did the judges all do some drugs together before the show? Everything was so Fantastic! and Amazing! and Best! Ever! It’s exhausting to see how over the top their over the top is. None of those handful of auditions were tear worthy and definitely not worthy of the word genius. Good grief. And the love for the 360° freeze frame is already old. And now I feel old. Who knew I would miss the old audition style and old judges. Bah humbug!

• Love 12

Smac's was the only audition I rewound. I might have rewound Gino's -- he gives good face -- but I felt like I'd seen it all before.

Are the auditions traveling this year? Because I'm already over the 9,000 stage cameras giving us 360-degree views. We. Get. It. (Although it might be interesting/funny if the judges used video replay to judge the dancers like figure-skating judges do. "Nope, you didn't quite finish that turn. Points deducted.")

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Man, everything/production was so over the top!!!!  🤪🤡🤪. And I agree with catalogerr about the audience shots during the dancing....so annoying. In fact I agree with many of the prior observations here.  I think they would be smart to review the first few seasons and go back to those formats.  *sigh*.  Especially having a top 20 with the contestants dancing with each other.  Miss those days and Las Vegas week!  I may be getting too old for this show as well.  Thank goodness for the ff button to just watch the dancing and skip all the fluff and Cats dumbass interviews.

• Love 6

Wow, I watched the first few seconds of Sarah dancing and then FF-ed because I thought she was a joke contestant. I couldn't believe she got through (as it flashed by) but I wasn't interested enough to rewind. I did like Desi and Matthew. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Holy crap, it’s been almost 10 years since Gino was on Dance Moms? I was waiting for some kind of reaction from LAG when he mentioned Dance Moms but I didn’t notice anything.

I like Dominic as a judge. His reactions seem more genuine to me than “tWitch.”

I think had she not been dating an alum, Sarah wouldn’t have gotten through. At least not by Nigel

Already so sick of the Matrix-cam. 

Edited by dmeets
  • Love 2

It took LAG exactly one audition to grate (and have me roll my eyes) so that's gonna fun all season. D-Trix I can sort of take or leave....although I think he'll be the least of our worries as the auditions go on.

Desi was excellent. Easily in the top three or four girls to ever audition in that style. I'd probably only put Jaja, Dassy & and Hiro (who didn't make it through the Hollywood rounds) ahead of her.

I actually felt like Ezra outdanced his returning older sister. My eyes were mostly locked on him, which doesn't normally happen when I watch Ballroom couples.

Smac was okay. Without the choreo round as an option I think we are going to get a handful curious decisions (either way). She strikes me as someone who will be able to "fake it till she makes it" in the other styles (Ballroom especially) as long as she has a defined character to play.

Sadly the rest of the auditions were almost all contempo-pieces that 90% of the time just do nothing for me. Visually I can tell the last guy and Matthew the returnee are good at what they do....I just ultimately don't care very much.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Desi was excellent. Easily in the top three or four girls to ever audition in that style. I'd probably only put Jaja, Dassy & and Hiro (who didn't make it through the Hollywood rounds) ahead of her.

In terms of technique, I'd probably agree she's great. I didn't find myself impressed too much with her solo, but still fun.

13 hours ago, AllAboutMBTV said:

Are the auditions traveling this year? 

Apparently not. They said something about them inviting the dancers to come to Hollywood/LA (I don't remember exactly) to audition.

8 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I actually felt like Ezra outdanced his returning older sister. My eyes were mostly locked on him, which doesn't normally happen when I watch Ballroom couples.

Same. I expected to like the woman better just because I normally do, but I thought Ezra was noticeably better then her.

The past few seasons I have been skipping the packages and all the judges comments, but I figured I'd watch to see the new judges. I didn't mind them. They're both OTT and so it's a lot of OTTness going on but for now I enjoy it. I figure it'll get annoying eventually though and probably by the live shows I'll start fast forwarding them again.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Apparently not. They said something about them inviting the dancers to come to Hollywood/LA (I don't remember exactly) to audition.

Same. I expected to like the woman better just because I normally do, but I thought Ezra was noticeably better then her.

I heard that too about the contestants coming to them for auditions.  So I think this is the new stage.

My eyes were also drawn more to Ezra more than Stephanie.  Some of that was his jazz technique not ballroom.  Normally, my eyes are also drawn to the woman when it comes to ballroom. 

Other comments, the judges were so OTT on their comments even when the contestants weren't all that.  I'm in the minority since I like contemporary so I enjoyed Matthew and Gino's auditions.

• Love 3

If they give standing ovations for every performance, I think it takes away from performances that are actually worthy of standing ovations. Just because something is good, doesn't it warrants a standing ovation. 

• Love 12
21 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

That standing O, best season ever OTT crap is endemic to every show now.  Why?  It must work for them in some way.

Well, I mean... If they went "well, season 5 was better, 8/10", it's hardly going to win fans... Standing O's could be toned down, though.

I do think "never seen before" and stuff like that might be true in some cases. People are starting to blend hip hop technique to create contemporary pieces more often, for instance, and the "what is currently good" in terms of themes and aesthetics does constantly change in the industry, leading to "new" moves and movement being done by some good soloists. We get a new hip hop style audition practically every season, too. Plus, the auditioned dancers are savvy with the SYTYCD game by now, and are quite versatile.

• Love 2

Hate D-Trix hair. 

Looks like we are going to get all the things I hate about World of Dance.

Only 5 auditions? And maybe a couple glimpses of others? Are they not get the number of people showing up that they use too?

Bringing family member up to Judges panel &judge dancing with auditioned -seen it before.

Remember  that's what season 16 looks life (as if the didn't say it enough!)

• Love 3

Oh yes, they certainly can't say something like, "Season 4 was WAY better than this", BUT I just question why they have to make comparing the seasons their be-all and end-all narrative.  1) Comparisons are odious and 2) the hyperbole is so constant that it becomes completely un-believable very quickly and so they might was well be standing there nattering, "rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb"...

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 6/5/2019 at 1:04 AM, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

It took LAG exactly one audition to grate (and have me roll my eyes) so that's gonna fun all season. D-Trix I can sort of take or leave....although I think he'll be the least of our worries as the auditions go on.

Smac was okay. Without the choreo round as an option I think we are going to get a handful curious decisions (either way). She strikes me as someone who will be able to "fake it till she makes it" in the other styles (Ballroom especially) as long as she has a defined character to play.

Sadly the rest of the auditions were almost all contempo-pieces that 90% of the time just do nothing for me. Visually I can tell the last guy and Matthew the returnee are good at what they do....I just ultimately don't care very much.

Agree on Ezra.  Was he auditioning too?  His flicks and kicks were so sharp!  I didn’t see that his sister was extraordinary.  Didn’t recall her.

On 6/5/2019 at 3:46 AM, displayname said:

In terms of technique, I'd probably agree she's great. I didn't find myself impressed too much with her solo, but still fun.

I guess im just not too much into the whole poplock thing. I love hiphop dancing but I like more of the groove aspect of hiphop, not so much all that tricky stuff. I like krump too

• Love 3

Wow, that sucked. I HATE this format. It doesn't even look like the same show! I really hate the live audience. It's fine once it's the live show, but it's ridiculous at this point. What a bummer. This show has been tinkered to death until it looks nothing like the original.

Unlike most here, I don't hate LAG. I always liked when they had the choreographers on the judging panel, and I have loved Dominic since his season, so he's fine for me. Both are better than Vanessa.

I did enjoy Dominic getting up with the moms. He was the best part of that routine. Glad she was sent packing though. I hate when being a mom is someone's defining characteristic though. I just posted the same thing on the current American Ninja Warrior forum a few days ago, and now here. It's always been a problem on Shark Tank. Gah. Enough with the moms - it doesn't make you special or a saint!

I liked Dezi the best. I almost always root for the hip hoppers. I am so tired of the contemporary dancers - it always looks the same to me. Gino's "emotional connection" looked so fake to me - I think he needs to dial the pathos back a notch or twenty.

After seeing this episode I am not real excited for this season. I was glad it got renewed, but every time they do, it's with another slight format change. It's been frankensteined to death at this point. This might be my last season.

• Love 3