Type keyword(s) to search

Sara Gilbert: Darlene Wants To Talk

• Start Topic

Even her secret was boring.

I think she had to make up a secret.  She probably didn't have one that she cared to share or really did not have anything that would be considered a secret.  

I like her a lot, she and Julie are my favorites.  

Is it me, or does Sara seem a bit more animated the last couple of episodes?  I think that maybe she feels she can joke with Aisha and Sheryl a bit easier? Sara didn't seem less opinionated than usual, but she seemed to feel a bit more apt to chime in.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 0:58 PM, LucyEth said:

Dull, wow is she boring!

Yeah, the talk show format doesn't seem to be her style.  She's too quit and shy. 

Edited by KittyKat94
misspelled word
  • Love 1

Sara's definitely quiet and shy, but I kinda like that about her. Especially how she's able to share her opinion without speaking as if she's the resident know-it-all (Hey, Sharon!). Believe it or not, she was much shyer when the show first started. Leah, Holly and Julie helped her come out of her shell.

• Love 5

I felt bad for Sara today when she apologized for accidentally mispronouncing the names of the talk show host nominees. I thought she was upset about some trolls giving her flack about it on her social media, but no, it was Whoopi acting like Sara was being shady on purpose. The shady ones are the moderator and the red haired witch sitting in the middle. Sara doesn't have a shady bone in her body.

• Love 6

mcrae, I lose more and more respect for Whoopi Goldberg everyday. None of that was even necessary. It is so obvious that Sara Gilbert doesn't have a mean bone in her body. 

• Love 5
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:30 AM, Apprentice79 said:

I do like Sarah and her shyness is endearing. She is so different from Darlene who was a rebel rouser.  There is no shadiness in Sarah. 

Exactly. Imagine what Darlene would've said if she'd been told to apologize. LOL.

4 hours ago, Mikita said:

mcrae, I lose more and more respect for Whoopi Goldberg everyday. None of that was even necessary. It is so obvious that Sara Gilbert doesn't have a mean bone in her body. 

I lost respect for her a long time ago. I used to be a big fan (had her comedy album, knew her lines from The Color Purple and Sister Act, etc.), but the worst decision she ever made was joining The View. She's rude, belligerent and downright ignorant. Maybe seeing that endeared her to others who share those traits, but that was one of the reasons I quit watching that show. She and Sharon both are buffoons who have no business on TV. Anyway, I'm just glad that whole nonsense is over. Now get your 2nd Emmy, Talk ladies!

Edited by rmcrae
  • Love 7
(edited)
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:44 AM, msrachelj said:

just saw sarah on the new sitcom "living biblically". how is she doing 3 shows at once ? (roseanne upcoming)

Is she a main or recurring character on Living Biblically? If the latter The Talk could work around her schedule so she can do Roseanne too.

Edited by rmcrae
2 hours ago, FairyDusted said:

I can't believe they played the Roseanne Cast show on Friday. That was just uncomfortable and sad. 

They did? Trump's press conference interrupted the middle of Sam Claflin and Shailene Woodley's interview so I missed the rest of the show. Weird that they'd rerun the Roseanne cast interview during a new/taped show.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, rmcrae said:

I hope Sara doesn't even address this loon next week: https://uproxx.com/tv/roseanne-sara-gilbert-feud-the-conners/.

What a vile bitch! why would she attack Sara of all people?  Roseanne has attacked everybody but herself for making a mess out of her own life.  She has more money than most of us will ever have, why doesn't she enjoy the rest of her life in obscurity. She is desperately trying to stay in the limelight by making incendiary comments..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 7

I enjoy Sara. I find her so likable and will miss her on The Talk. She is a professional and class act. 

I have been so annoyed with Meghan McCain on The View and ranted about how I wish she’d leave the show yesterday.

Wrong host leaving one of my shows!!!

I totally understand Sara has a family and acting career though, and I wish her all the best. I hope she comes back to visit. 🙂 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I enjoy Sara. I find her so likable and will miss her on The Talk. She is a professional and class act. 

I have been so annoyed with Meghan McCain on The View and ranted about how I wish she’d leave the show yesterday.

Wrong host leaving one of my shows!!!

I totally understand Sara has a family and acting career though, and I wish her all the best. I hope she comes back to visit. 🙂 

Exactly, Sara has never lived off of her family name for her career unlike the ignorant, petulant, talentless classless inarticulate nasty vile Megan McCain. 

• Love 8

Sara has never lived off of her family name for her career.

I believe she most certainly did.  Her name is Gilbert, not Smith.  Her sister was far more famous than she and her mother repped both of them based on the early success of Melissa.  Plus her father and step-father were in the biz.  I have nothing but respect for Sara and her acting abilities, but to say she never lived off her family name I consider a bit of a stretch.

Edited by xingu
  • Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:09 PM, xingu said:

I believe she most certainly did.  Her name is Gilbert, not Smith.  Her sister was far more famous than she and her mother repped both of them based on the early success of Melissa.  Plus her father and step-father were in the biz.  I have nothing but respect for Sara and her acting abilities, but to say she never lived off her family name I consider a bit of a stretch.

It's a pretty far stretch to say she lived off of her family name (remember the OP was comparing her to "my father" Meghan McCain).  Most viewers of the Talk had no idea of her family connections.  Most people in general have no idea she is related to Melissa.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I saw this yesterday and was so happy for Marie.  She's a very hard worker and will give it her all.  Then, I started to think about it.  I hope she knows what she's signing up for.  With a job like that, everything you say is scrutinized.  Social media and regular media can be cruel.  I'm not sure that I would open myself up to it.  I know that Marie is very open with things that are LGBT issues, but, she's also Mormon.  IDK....I could see how things might get interesting.  I'm a long term Osmond fan and a little protective of that family....still.  lol 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I saw this yesterday and was so happy for Marie.  She's a very hard worker and will give it her all.  Then, I started to think about it.  I hope she knows what she's signing up for.  With a job like that, everything you say is scrutinized.  Social media and regular media can be cruel.  I'm not sure that I would open myself up to it.  I know that Marie is very open with things that are LGBT issues, but, she's also Mormon.  IDK....I could see how things might get interesting.  I'm a long term Osmond fan and a little protective of that family....still.  lol 

Good for Marie, and I wish her the best of luck with all of this.

• Love 3
(edited)

Most viewers of the Talk had no idea of her family connections.  Most people in general have no idea she is related to Melissa.

Valid points.  But I guess I wasn't clear in that I was speaking of Hollywood power connections, i.e. casting directors/producers etc.  The Gilbert name was well known in those circles.  But I do believe the old Hollywoodism:  A family name gets you in the door, talent keeps you there.  

Edited by xingu
  • Love 4

Actually, Sara isn't technically a Gilbert. She is the only child of Barbara (who adopted Melissa and Jonathan with her then-husband, Paul Gilbert) and Harold Abeles. When Sara embarked on a show business career, she took the Gilbert surname for professional purposes. 

When I was growing up, I did not really like the character of Darlene on Roseanne for whatever reason (maybe it was all that sarcasm and the fact that she didn't really seem to treat her own boyfriend very well). I only started watching The Talk a few years ago due to my caregiving job. My client enjoyed the show, and after my time with that particular client ended I still watched the show as I do to this day. I thought Sara was going to be exactly like Darlene was from back then (this was before the reboot, obviously).

I was wrong. I will truly miss Sara when she leaves after this season, but I can understand why. It's obvious that being the moderator was never a role she was comfortable with (and once Carrie Ann became a regular, most of the moderating duties were abdicated to her), and the fact that she looks tired and burned out. In the span of just a few months, she had to deal with major scandals at both of her shows - not only as a co-host/castmate but as an executive producer. If anyone in Hollywood deserves a break, it's Sara.

I will miss her dry wit and the stabilizing force she seems to be with the other ladies. Besides, she seems like a real sweetheart and I have never heard an unkind word said about her in all her years in the business (no, Roseanne doesn't count). I wish her well as she starts the next chapter in her life.

• Love 7

Great article @Jaded!  Thank you. Off to watch Family Ties. I'll miss seeing Sara as herself and wish her the best of luck on her projects. I'll follow her.

Looks to me like Carrie Ann moves into her seat.

Marie....That sure isn't a moderator.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I loved the barely-concealed sarcasm Sara used the other day when reporting about Bill Cosby being a "life coach" and doing comedy routines for his fellow prison inmates. I'll miss that.

Maybe my favorite Sara moment on the show came about a year or so ago when they showed a video that went viral of a toddler singing Dolly Parton's "Jolene", only the little girl pronounced it as "Darlene", as in Sara's iconic sitcom character. Sara then looked into the camera, completely deadpan, and said "Don't worry, kiddo, Darlene's not going to steal your man." She brought the house down!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 5/24/2019 at 11:53 PM, catlover79 said:

I will miss her dry wit and the stabilizing force she seems to be with the other ladies. Besides, she seems like a real sweetheart and I have never heard an unkind word said about her in all her years in the business (no, Roseanne doesn't count). I wish her well as she starts the next chapter in her life.

All this! 

• Love 6

One of my favorite Sara moments was when she sang with Sawyer.  Incredibly sweet !

And of course when John Goodman came on and they did a tag scene joking about coming back. 

The current panel gels for me on this particular show. I'll miss her.

• Love 6
On 7/3/2019 at 11:41 PM, FairyDusted said:

One of my favorite Sara moments was when she sang with Sawyer.  Incredibly sweet !

And of course when John Goodman came on and they did a tag scene joking about coming back. 

The current panel gels for me on this particular show. I'll miss her.

Sara and Sawyer did a fantastic job. "Hallelujah" is a song that is so completely run into the ground and overplayed, but these two made it sound fresh.

Her sketch with John Goodman (who was a guest that day promoting something...I forget what) was not only funny and well-played, but it was the catalyst leading up to what is now The Conners. They slid back into their roles effortlessly for the sketch.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Sara and Sawyer did a fantastic job. "Hallelujah" is a song that is so completely run into the ground and overplayed, but these two made it sound fresh.

Her sketch with John Goodman (who was a guest that day promoting something...I forget what) was not only funny and well-played, but it was the catalyst leading up to what is now The Conners. They slid back into their roles effortlessly for the sketch.

Thank you! You just made my night!

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

Thank you! You just made my night!

You're welcome! Sadly, it seems that the video of Sara and Sawyer's musical performance has since been taken down. At least, I couldn't find it.

• Love 2
Just now, catlover79 said:

You're welcome! Sadly, it seems that the video of Sara and Sawyer's musical performance has since been taken down. At least, I couldn't find it.

I have it saved on my DVR. I’ll have to figure out how to post a copy. I’m old. Lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 1