Type keyword(s) to search

Julie Chen: Big Brother Is Always Watching

• Start Topic

I adore this woman.  I loved when she told told what Les said to her one day.  "I love you and love that you don't need me."   Julie collapsed into a young and innocent girl and said something like, "ohhhhh, I love you so much and I need you!"   Not to Les, but on the show.  Very sweet.  

• Love 1

I adore this woman.

Really? To me, she comes across as phony, controlling, and spiteful. Maybe it was the way Holly Robinson Peete and Leah Remini were let go at the end of Season 1. Very unprofessional and mean, in my opinion. I know Julie doesn't have the final say with casting decisions, but I think her level of influence was quite high.

I do like her as the moderator. She's a great speaker.

• Love 3

I didn't watch it back when they were on the panel.  I only know this crew now.  What happened? 

ETA:  I just googled and read about it.  Sounds like Sharon was behind the strife.  She had issues with both of them and called them ghetto and "they didn't know themselves."  What ever the fuck she meant by that.  I can do without Sharon easily.  I love Lea and don't know much about Holly other than she is a well spoken and educated woman! 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Jaded said:

I wonder what all the CBS and Viacom potential merger dealings are doing to the Chen-Moonves household?

CBS-Viacom Watch: Viacom Awaits New Offer, Moonves Severance Package Calculated

Well certainly with a severance package like that, they’d be living comfortably for the rest of their lives. I do think that Julie got this show partly due to the fact that her husband was chairman of the board. I also think that Big Brother is cheap to make and they’d keep that show on. Les could even go to another channel or heck, market his own a la Netflix, the Oprah Network or Hulu. To answer your question specifically I’d say that there is some pretty interesting dinner conversation these days in their household (or maybe it waits until Charlie is in bed). 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, topanga said:

Yes, Julie has had quite a bit of work done on her face. I will say that she had a great surgeon. No ‘Joker mouth’ for her.

Lol. For a long time I assumed she had a nose job but when she showed footage of herself getting her hair and makeup done a few years ago it was the same nose. Her eyelid surgery was a waste since she wears those big fake eyelashes. 

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, rmcrae said:

Lol. For a long time I assumed she had a nose job but when she showed footage of herself getting her hair and makeup done a few years ago it was the same nose. Her eyelid surgery was a waste since she wears those big fake eyelashes. 

She also said that she has never had a nose job, but, she did get her eyelids done. She said she got a lot of blowback by her people who accused her of being ashamed of her Asian features.  She admitted that she did feel the pressure to downplay her Asian features by White executives who felt that she would offend some people watching television news. That is so harsh, but, not surprising. 

I will never understand how some people do not understand that people's facial features, hair texture, eye color, skin color were determined by the the environment and climate that they were in. It is not due to superior genes in white people or inferior genes in people of color, sigh!

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 7

There can't be any way Julie would stay on The Talk (or Big Brother) if her husband leaves CBS, right?  She defended him so vigorously and her whole career has been tied to him since rumors of their relationship surfaced.  No way she would stay.  Julie and Moonves's rumored gigantic payout will walk off into the sunset I would guess.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, junemeatcleaver said:

There can't be any way Julie would stay on The Talk (or Big Brother) if her husband leaves CBS, right?  She defended him so vigorously and her whole career has been tied to him since rumors of their relationship surfaced.  No way she would stay.  Julie and Moonves's rumored gigantic payout will walk off into the sunset I would guess.

Releasing a brief statement isn't exactly "vigorously defending" someone, but back to Julie leaving, I doubt it. She had nothing to do with Les's harassment so it wouldn't make sense for her to leave just because her husband's been let go.

4 minutes ago, rmcrae said:

Releasing a brief statement isn't exactly "vigorously defending" someone, but back to Julie leaving, I doubt it. She had nothing to do with Les's harassment so it wouldn't make sense for her to leave just because her husband's been let go.

I don't think that she would stay.  Plus, how long would the Talk last without Les? He protected her show.  It will be interesting to see what happens..

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I don't think that she would stay.  Plus, how long would the Talk last without Les? He protected her show.  It will be interesting to see what happens..

I don't think the show will be in danger of cancellation just because of what Les did. Also Julie likes to work. What else is she going to do if she quits her shows?

Edited by rmcrae
  • Love 1
Just now, rmcrae said:

I don't think the show will be in danger of cancellation just because of what Les did. Also Julie likes to work? What else is she going to do if she quits her shows?

She would leave in solidarity with her husband.. CBS would buy out her contract..

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

She would leave in solidarity with her husband.. CBS would buy out her contract..

Maybe. I guess we'll have to see.

One (hopefully) good thing that comes out of this is that whoever takes Les's place cans the weakest link Mrs. O.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, rmcrae said:

Maybe. I guess we'll have to see.

One (hopefully) good thing that comes out of this is that whoever takes Les's place cans the weakest link Mrs. O.

Poor Sarah, this will be her second show to go through upheaval over a scandal involving bad behavior.. One is a crazy racist who peddles outrageous conspiracy theories and the other is a pig who harasses women. Sarah Brown who acted on soap operas said that Les Moonves fired her from the CBS show cold case and blackballed her for speaking out against his friend who was just like him..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, Apprentice79 said:

Poor Sarah, this will be her second show to go through upheaval over a scandal involving bad behavior.. One is a crazy racist who peddles outrageous conspiracy theories and the other is a pig who harasses women. Sarah Brown who acted on soap operas said that Les Moonves fired her from the CBS show cold case and blackballed her for speaking out against his friend who was just like him..

I feel bad for Sara too. That's disgusting about Sarah Brown. Like my Nana used to say "what's done in the dark will always come to the light" and it certainly has in this case and many others and it will continue to do so.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, rmcrae said:

I feel bad for Sara too. That's disgusting about Sarah Brown. Like my Nana used to say "what's done in the dark will always come to the light" and it certainly has in this case and many others and it will continue to do so.

I loved her on cold case and she was abruptly written out and it made no sense to me at the time. Now it makes sense, Hollywood is a vicious place... 

• Love 5
On 9/6/2018 at 10:15 PM, Apprentice79 said:

I find this interesting. I was reading an article about how Les Moonves blackballed Janet Jackson after that Superbowl wardrobe malfunction. I had heard for years that she was blackballed. I didn't realize that it was Les behind the scenes working. He wouldn't let her perform at the Grammy's that year and would not let Viacom owned stations air her music or videos. I now believe this to most likely be true. He didn't feel her apology was sincere and that she planned the malfunction. Yet Timberlake skated.

• Love 11
On 9/6/2018 at 6:58 PM, Apprentice79 said:

It is technically Sara Gilberts show.  She is the creator.  I am sure casting Julie was part of the deal but it is not Julie's show.  It won an Emmy and will likely stay in the programing.  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Mikita said:

I find this interesting. I was reading an article about how Les Moonves blackballed Janet Jackson after that Superbowl wardrobe malfunction. I had heard for years that she was blackballed. I didn't realize that it was Les behind the scenes working. He wouldn't let her perform at the Grammy's that year and would not let Viacom owned stations air her music or videos. I now believe this to most likely be true. He didn't feel her apology was sincere and that she planned the malfunction. Yet Timberlake skated.

In the Black community, we always knew that something was afoot. Janet was disinvited from awards shows and made to be the whore of Babylon.. Justin did not defend Janet and in a way, I lost a lot of respect for him. Now it makes sense and we were right to believe that Janet was being singled out for unfair treatment. Les needs to go.. 

• Love 16
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If she stays I think it would be an uncomfortable situation for her. 

It sure would, even though she's not responsible for her husband's transgressions.

On 08/09/2018 at 5:34 PM, Wings said:

It won an Emmy and will likely stay in the programing.  

Lord!  Anything can win an Emmy.

Edited by SrOfficial
  • Love 5

From a CBS News article (can’t seem to link it)

Viacom and CBS first merged in 1999, and split up in 2005. At the time, the bet was that Viacom had the greater growth potential. But under Moonves, CBS' stock has soared while Viacom's has been relatively flat. 

That turned Moonves into one of this highest paid executives in America: He took home nearly $70 million in each of the past two years.

• Love 5

I'll be watching the show today.  I imagine it's going to be very awkward.  I don't see how Julie can stay.  Basically Moonves is leaving in disgrace.  Not getting exit compensation of $100M!  Wow.  And I cannot imagine any network would touch him, at least not for a very long time.

I will be surprised if there isn't a divorce announcement coming soon.

• Love 8
44 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

I'll be watching the show today.  I imagine it's going to be very awkward.  I don't see how Julie can stay.  Basically Moonves is leaving in disgrace.  Not getting exit compensation of $100M!  Wow.  And I cannot imagine any network would touch him, at least not for a very long time.

I think it will be a while before she leaves Les.  I do think that if the scandal affects her son Charlie, then, she may decide to leave him.

I do think that there will be turmoil at the talk. I don't know who could take over for Julie. If Aisha was still around, I could see her taking her spot.

It does not make sense for Julie to stay.  Her enemies at CBS will gun for her, now that Les is gone.  I am sure that there were people who resented a woman of color being married to Les and enjoying the privilege that comes with that..

I am going to watch and observe that snake Sharon closely.

• Love 8

I don't think Julie will kill her career by leaving abruptly.  She will honor the contracts she has with CBS and another network will snap her up for something.  She is well liked and respected.   She may ask to be released from her contract though but probably not until she has another offer.  

2 hours ago, debbie311 said:

During the BB run she often takes days off from The Talk so she may not be there today. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 5

So, I'm not sure whether Julie may try to take a few days to figure out the whole Moonves situation, but I'm waiting to see if she does appear on The Talk today. It makes me wonder how she'll be on Thursday's BB broadcast as well, if she makes it in. I imagine she will, since she is a professional, but I wouldn't blame her if she didn't want to take some time. Her husband being in the news and under investigation has been going on for a while, but his "resignation"/firing from CBS will probably make things dicey for Julie herself. Like it or not, she is in an impossible situation. She's part of two scheduled live shows where people will want to ask her questions about the situation and they will be analyzing her every move. I mean, I'm even planning on watching The Talk today, or at least be reading up on it.

So it'll be curious to see how she's faring this week, especially during a busy week And then I wonder about any future shows. I don't think she should end her contract, but I also don't know the circumstances behind the scenes, whether she'd want to leave or whether she'd feel compelled to leave. I don't think she should be paying for her husband's actions, but she very well may have to. She's stayed quiet, besides one statement, for a reason. I wouldn't want to be in her shoes. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
So totally posted this in the wrong Julie Chen thread on another forum but gonna own it
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

I think it will be a while before she leaves Les.  I do think that if the scandal affects her son Charlie, then, she may decide to leave him.

I do think that there will be turmoil at the talk. I don't know who could take over for Julie. If Aisha was still around, I could see her taking her spot.

It does not make sense for Julie to stay.  Her enemies at CBS will gun for her, now that Les is gone.  I am sure that there were people who resented a woman of color being married to Les and enjoying the privilege that comes with that..

I am going to watch and observe that snake Sharon closely.

You & me both!!!

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Wings said:

Why is Sharon a snake?  I don't watch this show much. 

oh boy, we would have to write a novel on how awful she is. I recently learned from the posters on here that her husband once bit the head off of a bird and Sharon laughed her ass over that type of cruelty.

Sharon is a bully, vile and nasty.  She used to send boxes of her own feces to her husband's critics. She is not dealing with a full deck. She is a phony and a hypocrite. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 8

I can’t wait to see the show today. I do feel sorry for Julie but she cut no slack when other men were accused so I hope that she doesn’t begin a defense for her husband on the show. I’d guess that Sara will moderate although she is clearly uncomfortable when doing so. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I don't know who could take over for Julie. If Aisha was still around, I could see her taking her spot.

Alas...she is missed more than she will ever know. She’d know how to do the show with class during this awkward time. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 8