Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Pardon Your French

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, Thisgirllovespasta said:

Anyone remember when Ben cut his finger nearly off on below deck and Rocky stepped into serve grenadine on oysters?? Then she served crumbled oreos on a steak?? 

It's the What the fudge moments like this, that makes me coming back!! 

I think it's going to become significant this year that one of the new stews has chef experience.  Miz Old El Paso is on greased skids out the door.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

I am admittedly no expert in the kitchen. I have only worked in a pizzeria and made some simple dishes that the main guy there showed me and cold subs. I'm married now 10 years and have learned a little more by watching my husband's family.  I remember things my mom did in the kitchen and that's the stuff like putting lemon or orange rinds & cinnamon in my French toast mix. BUT, but, but, microwaving steak?! No! And licking your finger after touching the plate?! No!!!! Yuck! A chef shouldn't ever have fingers around their face or in mouth.  My common fu**ing sense tells me, put the steaks in the OVEN on a low temp to keep them warm for thr next 10 minutes. I mean, right?? Isn't that what a restaurant would do??! 

• Love 13
14 hours ago, Violet Penner said:

MILA LICKED A STEAK. 

I had seen this story in my twitter feed before I watched the episode this evening so I was on the lookout. I rewound and played in slow mo. She. Licked. A. Steak. 

With her tongue. After being sick. I cannot. 

https://people.com/food/below-deck-med-chef-licks-steak-mila-kolomeitseva/

So, after reading earlier posts, I thought it looked like she kissed it, which could be some weird chef thing... No. LICKED?!?!? Sweet satan.

• Love 9

Isn't there a thing these fancy chefs do... if i recall, I think creepy perv chef Adrian from BD original did..."deconstruct " dishes like this. Like a "deconstructed" beef taco? Make it a fancy spin on a taco. "Deconstructed" anything makes it sound more high end. Now I'll make myself a deconstructed caesar salad from a bagged salad kit for lunch🤗

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I wonder if Old El Paso is paying for their product placement? Those nachos looked liked something you’d make after a late night of drinking. Mila just gives me the creeps. 

I am with you there, except for the corn.

I have had a recipe for a breakfast casserole that was on a bed of frozen fries.  I could not wrap my head around it until one night when we were all wasted.  It sounded so good!  It was good and is now a family favorite.

All you primetimers and your, "She needs gloves", well how do you like the tongue?  Thank you @Violet Penner

Note:  I am a pretty good home cook and have been cooking since I was a little kid.  Yes, I do keep frozen shit in the freezer.  We just got over a 7 month winter.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 6

So what’s the deal, Adam left or got cut?

I guess there’s a lot more potential for drama with Mila, while Adam had really tried not to rock the boat last season?

• Love 1

I asked some follow up questions about Le Cordon Bleu (American) and culinary schools more generally.

The opinion of the chefs was that LCB's biggest downfall (or co-biggest along with cost) was that they were terrible about job placement. 

Other culinary schools, from the Culinary Institute of America down to the community college programs, usually offer really good job placement opportunities.  In many of them, including the CIA, students do rotations through restaurants that have long standing relationships with the school.  That gets you real kitchen experience and some references as well.  Some people can get a job after graduation at one of those kitchens, too.  Culinary schools (other than LCB) also have pipelines into jobs with hotel chains, which gives you a decent paying job right off the bat but also means that the hotel chain is likely to move you from place to place around the country which sucks once the novelty wears off.   Unless you are already known in a kitchen (such as through a previous rotation), a culinary school grad has to start out on the lowest rungs to prove that he/she knows the basics such as knife skills, sauces, and so forth.  Then they're given a test on the line to see if they can handle stress and if they can work their short term memory quickly as orders come and go.   Once those tests are passed, just like people who come in without a culinary school diploma, you could be moved into a more interesting position.

I also described Chef Old El Paso's meals.  The former and current chefs laughed their butts off, as we did.  They said that either this woman went to just a vanity short course or she's lying about having gone to any culinary school at all.  Food safety is stressed from the get-go (no licking raw steaks or your fingers, this was met with looks of true horror when I described it).  Structuring a menu and timing courses is stressed, as well, both in culinary school and coming up through kitchens.  There was a long discussion on how easy it is to cook the things she was trying to do.   Oh, and using old ranch dressing from the back of the fridge for people who paid beaucoup bucks, that elicited gales of laughter and a comment that maybe it was her own cooking that made her throw up.

• Useful 5
  • Love 6
On 6/5/2019 at 12:38 AM, biakbiak said:

I wasn’t criticizing all the people who take the workshops. I was criticizing people, and there a lot of them , who take the workshops and use it to pad their resumes and brag about “studying” there even if it was a day long workshop which I used three distinctive descriptors of the people who take them.

We clearly have different experiences in all the iterations; I also have thoughts on LCB London, but they are neither here or there, perhaps things have changed during our experiences with them for instance they have offered bilingual classes (French and English) for awhile. 

If I were a producer I would literally try to inject drama through the chef given what happened happened on last season of BD:Fiji when someone nearly got hurt and while food can  harm people doing shitty food can cause drama amongst the crew and guests without removing a limb.

The entire LCB course is French.  Maybe now they allow people with no French.....but, they will require you to learn. Because, WTH???? 

Also, Paris is a hard city to live in without French. 

Impossible to  ‘pad’ your resume in the culinary world. No such thing exist. 

Most jobs, come from colleagues and auditions.

Also, it won’t take long for employers to figure out you cannot cook.

Nobody has ever asked for my diploma.  The few times it has come up they wanted to see the transcripts. This is how you prove training & graduation. Not a resume or diploma.

What we want to see is current sanitation certificates and we will check validity!

It doesn’t matter if you are a professional or home cook

Taking cooking courses with reputable instructors anywhere in the world will just make you that much better and keep you up-to-date. (Just like any other job)

Where are all these  Day Cooking School braggers????

Send them my way!  I am tired of doing all the cooking! 

Potluck Parties every weekend!!!!! 🥳🍽🍾

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Dance4Life said:

Potluck Parties every weekend!!!!! 🥳🍽🍾

I’ll bring a charcuterie and wine. 

I recently catered a baby shower for 20 for my girlfriend. She couldn’t afford to so I did it. Ha, was left off of the guest list too which hurt my feelings. They had good food and I didn’t break any of the safe handling rules. This chef doesn’t deserve to be called a chef  

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, Dance4Life said:

The entire LCB course is French.  Maybe now they allow people with no French.....but, they will require you to learn. Because, WTH???? 

They still offer French classes but it’s not mandatory. From their website:

Le Cordon Bleu Paris offers French lessons for students and future students. More information can be found at: https://www.cordonbleu.edu/paris/fle-french-courses/en

All theory classes (excluding Business Bachelors) are bilingual, English/French. It is, therefore, not necessary to speak fluent French. It is, nonetheless, crucial to have a firm command of either French or English in order to get the most out of the classes.

The Bachelors, and Restaurant Management Diploma, are taught in English. It is, therefore, essential to master the English language to get the most out of all of the classes.

Language skills are tested during the admission interview.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I recently catered a baby shower for 20 for my girlfriend. She couldn’t afford to so I did it. Ha, was left off of the guest list too which hurt my feelings. They had good food and I didn’t break any of the safe handling rules. This chef doesn’t deserve to be called a chef  

I was invited to the wedding of a fellow student when I was in grad school.  Sitting at the reception, I kept looking over at the bar wondering when they'd start serving and if we'd have to pay.  Eventually, the maid of honor came over and asked me why I wasn't bar tending.  She and the bride decided that I'd tend bar for the reception as a gift to the happy couple (in addition to the gift I gave them)...but they forgot to ask/tell me.  I should have walked out, but instead went along with it.  I was possibly the worst wedding bartender ever.  Didn't know how to make many of the drinks people asked for, so I'd ask them to describe it and I'd give it a try.   That day ended my friendship with a couple of people.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

How come there is no thread for Colin. 

Did I hear right that one of the other deckhands put his hands on Colin and that is why we see him crying in the previews.

I tried goggling it but I didn’t find anything.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, terrymct said:

That day ended my friendship with a couple of people.

I think weddings ending friendships is much more common than people might hear about.

11 minutes ago, langford peel said:

I didn't find anything on Goggle either. ;-)

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, langford peel said:

How come there is no thread for Colin. 

Did I hear right that one of the other deckhands put his hands on Colin and that is why we see him crying in the previews.

That's how I interpreted the snippet in the preview, but it's hard to tell.  And with this bunch, who knows.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:07 PM, biakbiak said:

I wonder if Mila did the actual Le Corden Bleu program or did she do their workshops which basically are designed for tourists and amateurs but also pretentious twits to be able to say they studded at THE Le Corden Bleu. Their reputation isn’t what it used to be because they also licensed their name to some shitty culinary programs in the US which are often just expensive diploma mills. 

4 hours ago, terrymct said:

I asked some follow up questions about Le Cordon Bleu (American) and culinary schools more generally.

The opinion of the chefs was that LCB's biggest downfall (or co-biggest along with cost) was that they were terrible about job placement. 

My uncle went to Le Cordon Bleu in Chicago and he is head chef at an upscale restaurant.  I wouldn't put down the program, and I wouldn't say the program's reputation suffered.  Also, if someone takes a day class or whatever, and tries to pass it off on his or her resume as having attended the actual culinary school, I would imagine that would be sussed out pretty quickly.

• Love 2
On 6/5/2019 at 8:07 AM, terrymct said:

I have family members who are or have been professional chefs in the US and Caribbean and make/made good money at it.  None of them or any of their contemporaries went to culinary school, in fact they make fun of people who do so.   They all started in entry level jobs in kitchens, cleaning and chopping, then worked their way up step by step until they were running or owning the operation.    I asked their impression of LCB.  Responses:  Expensive.  Not worth it.  Graduates come out with massive attitudes but lack skills and experience.  Hiring one means that you have to reteach him/her, which can be slower than teaching someone who is motivated but knows little.

Many avenues to become a professional cook/chef.

If any serious cook was given the chance to attend culinary school.  They would.  If that choice was Community College Vs a traditional school such as LCB Paris or CIA.  They would choose LCB Paris or CIA.

The cleaning, chopping and working your way up.....will NEVER stop.  

If you are closing the restaurant and the janitor quit without scrubbing the toilets.  You will scrub toilets, too. 

Everyone stays at entry level for a solid  5 years. 

Kitchen ego is the norm.  Old and young.  It only disappears for a few minutes on pay-day! 

I think the culinary field.........in the last 20 years.......especially, the education aspect in USA.........had a re-invention like nursing.

They have a similar situation to ours. Education vs OJT Experience....pathway.

I never realized that nursing was a 2 year training program done at a community college or vocation school.  Once completed you got your license and then you went to ‘learn’ on the job. Eventually, moving up the ranks....etc. etc.

Now, they have full on Masters and Ph.d programs.  NPs in their 30’s running their own clinics. 

Doctors and more than qualified vet nurses who only hold an Associates mad as hell.

There is so much to do in culinary just like nursing.

It is up to the individual which path they take.

People are hungry and sick every single day........and, the demand for  education only increases.

Ambition never hurt success. Education supports high quality standards. 

Nobody should be making fun of people that choose school.

I think Mila might be a storyline.  I hope they do not cut her off for at least a few more episodes.  She is comedy gold! Just like this comment section.  I mean nachos and crispy tacos is not even cooking......eh!

LCB dragging over cheeseless corn-from-a-can nachos! 🤣

We shall move on, indeed!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Dance4Life said:

If any serious cook was given the chance to attend culinary school.  They would.  If that choice was Community College Vs a traditional school such as LCB Paris or CIA.  They would choose LCB Paris or CIA.

You're value judgement of "serious" is a problem.  No, not all serious cooks would.  It's not necessary although it can be fun or interesting depending on where you hope your career takes you.     Not all serious cooks would or could jump from a community college or other program to the LCB Paris or CIA.   It'd be a potentially great experience, particularly the CIA, but not a needed one.  

What you're saying and what I'm relaying from my family is a good demonstration, though, of the differences in attitudes of people who went to LCB and those who chose not to or weren't able to afford it.  I'm glad you found your experience at LCB worthwhile.

Edited by terrymct
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
On 6/3/2019 at 10:43 PM, Lady of nod said:

i like Hannah I know, I'm a party of one. 

I like her too, so we can sit at the table together.  She looks different this season; I think she said on IG that she lost weight.

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I like her too, so we can sit at the table together.  She looks different this season; I think she said on IG that she lost weight.

I like her, but I wish she'd make some better decisions.  Hooking up or starting a relationship with someone when you're living in such tight quarters is asking for trouble, especially when you're in a leadership position.    When Hannah is firing on all cylinders, she's very good at her job but she undermines her own position.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I recently catered a baby shower for 20 for my girlfriend. She couldn’t afford to so I did it. Ha, was left off of the guest list too which hurt my feelings.

Oh no!  😥👩‍🍳  I hope you got to steal a centerpiece.

• LOL 6
33 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

Oh no!  😥👩‍🍳  I hope you got to steal a centerpiece.

No, really I was never invited. I was just told how many people and what time that my friend would pick up the food. She did send me some photos and I didn’t think that it was well decorated. D0E82CB9-3BE9-4DBC-BE82-319219AD91AC.thumb.jpeg.5e93bd055a955ee771a276378f889577.jpeg

I made procuitto wrapped asparagus (roasted), a cheese log covered in pecans, chocolate dipped strawberries, cream puffs with homemade Bavarian cream, tomato/basil/mozzarella skewers (not shown) and pulled pork sliders. On my own dime I might add. I’m a very good friend. 

• Love 12

I wish they'd just ditch Hannah and bring on Amy from BD original as a chief stew here. Idk why but Hannah just always screams amateur to me. She's always sucking on cigs and never seems to be as engaged in her professional duties the way Kate is. Yet she is always frazzled and has a blank stare when called out on anything. She has more nerve than talent I think and she is into the travel lifestyle and label whoring than anything else. She really tried to snag that Jason guest two seasons ago but it failed. I'm sure he enjoyed the beej though. She just wasn't "wife up & take me away from all this" material. The Conrad thing was unbelievable IMO. I believe she's just horny . Can't believe they didn't get it on till the final drunken night last season. 

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, terrymct said:

I like her, but I wish she'd make some better decisions. Hooking up or starting a relationship with someone when you're living in such tight quarters is asking for trouble, especially when you're in a leadership position. When Hannah is firing on all cylinders, she's very good at her job but she undermines her own position.

Hannah always needs male attention. It's sort of interesting because it's not immediately obvious like it is with someone like Sonja Morgan or Luann de Lesseps or Danny from season 1 of BD:Med who was a huge attention whore. The way that Hannah kept pestering Ben in season 1 was pitiful. When Ben gives her the final brush off, Hannah goes tearing off to Bobby and makes out with and probably blow him. Ugh. It's so sad and desperate. Season 2 is Jason the charter guest. Season 3 it's Conrad the bosun.

They only film for 5 or 6 weeks. I wish she could keep it together for that amount of time.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

They still offer French classes but it’s not mandatory. From their website:

You have to read the fine print for the cookery course.  

The demos are in French......which is the cooking class.   Yet, someone will translate.

So, it is like watching Emeril on TV......and, you cannot understand what he is saying. 

For $55,000..... I would not settle for a ‘translator.’

What if the person didn’t translate correctly? Or, it is a French person with a thick accent?

I have a hard time with accents.

When that guy said he was from Liverpool........I heard Lima, Peru! 🤣

They are not catering to Americans. The school is using English as the default language for all the international students. The entire world defaults to English language. 

Why all the resistance, anyways?  You are moving to France to learn French cookery!

But, you don’t want to learn French before going???

Even in USA, all the LCB terminology is French wording.

This is what I mean.  You had kids enrolling at LCB USA unprepared. They just skipped right over French cooking culture and its history. 

1 hour ago, terrymct said:

You're value judgement of "serious" is a problem.  No, not all serious cooks would.  It's not necessary although it can be fun or interesting depending on where you hope your career takes you.     Not all serious cooks would or could jump from a community college or other program to the LCB Paris or CIA.   It'd be a potentially great experience, particularly the CIA, but not a needed one.  

What you're saying and what I'm relaying from my family is a good demonstration, though, of the differences in attitudes of people who went to LCB and those who chose not to or weren't able to afford it.  I'm glad you found your experience at LCB worthwhile.

A serious cook is someone who wants to have all the advantages to succeed in the culinary industry. 

It is true, at the moment a private culinary school and its tuition cost is out of reach for many.  This is why I used the scenario.....if given the chance.

You can only learn so much doing OJT. A restaurant is not a cooking lab. You are only going to learn what your Head Chef wants to teach you. 

That chef is going to primarily teach you THEIR menu. So, you can cook it and chef can sell it! 

Most people won’t have access to a good chef mentor.  You need to be pro-active in your own education. This is why many young ‘serious’ chefs move around a bunch of restaurants. Eventually, go to culinary school to learn the classics.

You really need a solid foundation to build your career on.

Restaurant business  is taught at culinary school. There is accounting, food cost and menu planning, food buying, employment laws, business laws, sanitation, special interest topics, etc. As you rank, your chef job becomes less about cooking and more about food sales. It is a business!

You can go to school and learn this in 2 years or you can wait a lifetime for your boss to teach you.

I am pro all culinary education.  Not just private schools.

There are other ways such as the military  (you can cook at the White House) or corporate chef working in  hotels. They have their own management programs and training. They provide the education.  Everything is standardized.  Their food and service needs to be exactly the same at every single location.....worldwide. You do the same thing for 20 years. You can just track here, rank and earn well with benefits. 

• Love 3
On 6/5/2019 at 3:03 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

I wonder if Old El Paso is paying for their product placement? Those nachos looked liked something you’d make after a late night of drinking. Mila just gives me the creeps. 

It's looks more like Taco Bell is paying for the placement. OEP comes out looking so bad.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

No, really I was never invited. I was just told how many people and what time that my friend would pick up the food. She did send me some photos and I didn’t think that it was well decorated. D0E82CB9-3BE9-4DBC-BE82-319219AD91AC.thumb.jpeg.5e93bd055a955ee771a276378f889577.jpeg

I made procuitto wrapped asparagus (roasted), a cheese log covered in pecans, chocolate dipped strawberries, cream puffs with homemade Bavarian cream, tomato/basil/mozzarella skewers (not shown) and pulled pork sliders. On my own dime I might add. I’m a very good friend. 

Ever considered becoming a yacht chef? You're clearly better than our Arby's Chicken Cordon Bleu trained chef. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

Ever considered becoming a yacht chef? You're clearly better than our Arby's Chicken Cordon Bleu trained chef. 

Oh dear lord, that’s horrible.  Tie back your damn hair for a start.  If she really went to Le Cordon Bleu Paris, they should rescind her degree.   

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, terrymct said:

I like her, but I wish she'd make some better decisions.  Hooking up or starting a relationship with someone when you're living in such tight quarters is asking for trouble, especially when you're in a leadership position.    When Hannah is firing on all cylinders, she's very good at her job but she undermines her own position.

Maybe she does it intentionally to stay on the show?

If she just did her job, stayed drama free, Bravo would find someone else probably.

If Mila really was a top tier chef, she'd probably have a regular gig at some very trendy restaurant presumably, not slumming it on a reality show on a 3rd tier cable channel.

Edited by scrb
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Holy shit!  Wasn't it a baby shower?  It looks like card night at my house.  Oh wait is that your kitchen?  Lovely.  To have rack shelving...[dreaming].  You are an awesome friend.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

That must have really hurt. I'm sorry she did that to you. (((hugs))))

• Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Holy shit!  Wasn't it a baby shower?  It looks like card night at my house.  Oh wait is that your kitchen?  Lovely.  To have rack shelving...[dreaming].  You are an awesome friend.

Nope, it’s not my kitchen, but the house where the shower was held. I’m lucky to have lots of cabinets and storage in my so that I can keep clutter and stuff off of my counters. Here’s how my family does spices (truthfully this Is my sis-in-laws...I have one a bit smaller) 479E94D4-9208-44F0-BD3D-C94D50696AC4.jpeg.bede75c23128b3deb5297fdd6e04c468.jpeg

Edited by Mindthinkr
Forgot to proofread.
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Lol...my brother calls me his galley queen. (He’s been happily married for over 50 years and his wife is an excellent cook)  I’ve been known to travel with them for a month or so as they also need help with the lines to go through locks when traveling on their boat. I do breakfast, coffee breaks, lunch and cocktail hour. Dinner is out on his dime unless his wife is cooking so I’m happy with the arrangements. 

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Nope, it’s not my kitchen, but the house where the shower was held. I’m lucky to have lots of cabinets and storage in my so that I can keep clutter and stuff off of my counters. Here’s how my family does spices (truthfully this Is my sis-in-laws...I have one a bit smaller) 479E94D4-9208-44F0-BD3D-C94D50696AC4.jpeg.bede75c23128b3deb5297fdd6e04c468.jpeg

I'm just a tad envious of this spice door!    On topic:  much better organization skills than Mila!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

Officially hating chef Mila.  I cannot. I was listening to a podcast that rhymes with "Watch What Happens" and they said Mila LICKED one of the raw steaks and put it back down with the other steaks.  Say what?  I re-watched the episode and "Yep, she did that".  I had to freeze frame it because the clip goes quickly.  Hey chef Mila, did they teach you that at your Cordon Bleu trained culinary school?  Good Gordon. 

Licking raw meat?  No food poisoning there ... What was she trying to do there.  I kept thinking "Man, I hope she's not cross contaminating the nachos (as she was sticking her bare hands in the tortilla chips).  And, how can she not cook basic Mexican dishes?  I recently took some night classes at my local community college and they have a 2-year culinary program.  We have a "fine dining restaurant" and once a month a fancy 5-course dinner is highlighted from a different country.  I don't get this chef.  I see shades of chef Leon here.  I honestly hope she's the one that gets fired but you just know it's gonna be one of the deck hands.

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 3

Now, I don't know nuthin' 'bout no Cordun Blue cookin' but I does know TexMex like a champ and that there crap they was servin' ain't it. Cain't remember if'n the guests actually asked fer TexMex, as opposed to real Mex but even so...  that there shit the li'l ol' Russki lady served up just about made me barf up a habanero.

I mean, I learnt to not expect good Mexican food any time I leave my beloved Texas fer someplace in the North. Like Oklahoma or Arkansas. Them folks just don't get it right. So askin' fer tacos in that there France place is just askin' fer a whuppin'. Food-wise, that is. It'd been a whole lot smarter to just ask fer local food. Like French fries. Duh.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
(edited)

Just getting around to watching....

Not sure I want "the tough" Capt. Sandy or for her to "to be hands on."

Hannah and Joao and Colin are good for us who have seen them before even if they have their negatives.

Crew, of they new guys, can hardly tell them apart, but there is at least one who seems to work hard and capable.

The chef, omg, no offense, but I hope they get rid of her quick.

Anastasia, love her abilities and care for A+ performance, but hope her anxiety doesn't rise up, as the teasers seem to indicate.

And 2nd stew Aesha....as she says:

quote: Aesha the geisha will fellatchya!

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 1
On 6/6/2019 at 9:18 AM, Mindthinkr said:

I recently catered a baby shower for 20 for my girlfriend. She couldn’t afford to so I did it. Ha, was left off of the guest list too which hurt my feelings.  

On 6/6/2019 at 9:37 AM, terrymct said:

.....Eventually, the maid of honor came over and asked me why I wasn't bar tending.  She and the bride decided that I'd tend bar for the reception as a gift to the happy couple (in addition to the gift I gave them)...but they forgot to ask/tell me.  

Unbelievable behaviors, and both on one small page of BDM. 

There's something about being taken advantage of that sickens me; hats off to both of ya.

• Love 8
On 6/4/2019 at 5:37 PM, sara1025 said:

OMG. When the nachos scene came up, I was LITERALLY eating the same thing: microwaved chips with salsa and cheese on top. Lol, here I thought I knew nothing about cooking but here I am, eating a dish that a trained chef would make!

What about the canned corn? It’s not truly gourmet without that! 

• LOL 4

One thing though, Mila isn't American or Mexican so maybe Tex Mex shouldn't be her forte.

In Paris they used to have a regional chain of what they thought was tex-mex restaurants.

What was the chain called?  Indiana's.

I've seen tacos and burritos all over the world, from Norway to New Zealand.  They're not bad but it's not something we see in Northern CA, which is probably different from what's available in Southern CA, which is different from what is available in Texas, etc.

So why should a Siberian supposedly trained in Paris know how to make Tex Mex?

• LOL 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, scrb said:

It’s still unclear what the guests actually requested but if she was unsure she also could have asked people or looked things up. There is even another person on the boat who has worked as a chef and speaks Russian who would have been a good sounding board. 

Also, no matter where you’re from or trained chef or not she you should know not to lick raw steaks.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9
(edited)
On 6/8/2019 at 10:14 AM, dsteele said:

Now, I don't know nuthin' 'bout no Cordun Blue cookin' but I does know TexMex like a champ and that there crap they was servin' ain't it. Cain't remember if'n the guests actually asked fer TexMex, as opposed to real Mex but even so...  that there shit the li'l ol' Russki lady served up just about made me barf up a habanero.

I mean, I learnt to not expect good Mexican food any time I leave my beloved Texas fer someplace in the North. Like Oklahoma or Arkansas. Them folks just don't get it right. So askin' fer tacos in that there France place is just askin' fer a whuppin'. Food-wise, that is. It'd been a whole lot smarter to just ask fer local food. Like French fries. Duh.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:45 PM, scrb said:

One thing though, Mila isn't American or Mexican so maybe Tex Mex shouldn't be her forte.

In Paris they used to have a regional chain of what they thought was tex-mex restaurants.

What was the chain called?  Indiana's.

I've seen tacos and burritos all over the world, from Norway to New Zealand.  They're not bad but it's not something we see in Northern CA, which is probably different from what's available in Southern CA, which is different from what is available in Texas, etc.

On 6/8/2019 at 7:01 PM, biakbiak said:

It’s still unclear what the guests actually requested but if she was unsure she also could have asked people or looked things up. There is even another person on the boat who has worked as a chef and speaks Russian who would have been a good sounding board. 

Also, no matter where your from or trained chef or not she you should know not to lick raw steaks.

I feel like most people who want authentic Mexican food usually specify that because most Americans think of TexMex or SoCal Mex when they think of "Mexican" food. That being said, what she made was terrible. If you google "Mexican food recipes" hard corn tortillas with picadillo, comes up so deep in the search results that you'd have to be looking for that recipe in order to say that you just went with what you found on the internet. We've seen Ben, Adam, and Matt using the computer to search for recipes. For me, besides licking the steak, Mila's greatest sins were not talking to the guests or Hannah about what she was serving, which might have pushed Mila to course correct, and using salsa from a jar. Making pico de gallo is so easy that it's not cooking. It's just chopping ingredients--cutting onions, tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro.

Is this who Mila is as a chef?

Edited by HunterHunted
  • LOL 4

I also forgot to mention her putting Ranch Dressing on the foie gras burgers, way too much going on there! I would refuse it on the ranch alone and given how she cooked everything else I can’t imagine the foie was cooked properly.

And even if she was trying to comment on the portion sizes of Americans I still can’t wrap my head around the size of the first course even if you ignored how crappy it was and looked.

The primary looked like an chubby Eric Ripert.

• Love 5

I know it doesn't diminish the "ICK" factor at all, but wouldn't frying the steak kill any germs she imparted to it?  Not so much with the finger licking.  Gross.

I've worked in labs for 30 years so it's ingrained in me to never lick my fingers, even when cooking.  Then I always wash with soap after handling any raw meat.

• Love 2

yeah it's more the ICK factor. Completely unprofessional. And gross. And weird.

But makes me think of when I was having lunch with my 20-something daughter. A ladybug got into her beer. (It was ok, we got it out). We swapped because she was too ICKed out. At almost 60 I'm beyond worrying about stuff like that.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

I know it doesn't diminish the "ICK" factor at all, but wouldn't frying the steak kill any germs she imparted to it?  Not so much with the finger licking

Yeah it’s the ick factor but also if she is doing something so random and weird what else is she doing as I can’t imagine she is big on food safety.

• Love 4
(edited)
18 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Yeah it’s the ick factor but also if she is doing something so random and weird what else is she doing as I can’t imagine she is big on food safety.

And this is just what the editors chose to show us!  You just know there's more.

With all the hair flying, assorted licking, and pawing of the food, safety seems to be the last thing on her mind.  Have we seen her wash her hands?  ick!

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 4
On 6/8/2019 at 4:14 PM, Rebecca said:

What about the canned corn? It’s not truly gourmet without that! 

I knew there was something missing! Guess I'm not a gourmet chef after all lol

• LOL 1
On 6/3/2019 at 10:33 PM, jumper sage said:

Yes.  I would rather eat a cold steak sliced up, which is actually pretty good, than a nuked one.

“.....and ONLY sliced on the bias! I worked at a restaurant so I should know.”~Darcy (Sorry that was from a 90 day episode ..and a very intense scene about steak lol)

• LOL 3
  • Love 2