Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

Jenny & Sumit: Slumdog Thousandaire

7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m not sure what you mean.  

Sumit and Jenny wore cards around their neck that were meant to protect them from covid. 

Now they both have covid...

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

13 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Sumit and Jenny wore cards around their neck that were meant to protect them from covid. 

Now they both have covid...

If I remember correctly, Jenny was a little skeptical but Sumit was all:  "Here you go!  It will ward it off!"

• Like 4

As absurd as the idea of a cardboard protective card sounds, I wish them both well.  It's so bad in India right now that they can't keep up with cremation needs.

• Like 7
  • Surprise 2

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

As absurd as the idea of a cardboard protective card sounds, I wish them both well.  It's so bad in India right now that they can't keep up with cremation needs.

I am not surprised.  My in-laws retired to Florida and when FIL passed in late 2017 there was a backlog and we were not guaranteed his remains would be in the urn at the funeral.

Happy Thursday Everyone, lol!!!!

• Surprise 5

Our State Department has issued a Level 4 travel advisory (the highest) "not to travel to India or to leave as soon as it is safe to do so" per Bloomberg News today.  How this may affect Jenny is unknown.  Having tested positive for Covid, will she be admitted back to the States?  Will her monthly visa not be renewed?  She must be frantic at the moment.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Annifran said:

Our State Department has issued a Level 4 travel advisory (the highest) "not to travel to India or to leave as soon as it is safe to do so" per Bloomberg News today.  How this may affect Jenny is unknown.  Having tested positive for Covid, will she be admitted back to the States?  Will her monthly visa not be renewed?  She must be frantic at the moment.

From what I've read from CDC, the answer is you have to have a current, negative Covid test to even get on the aircraft.       The airline won't even let her on the plane, without a negative test from an approved lab.  No airline on the planet will risk the legal liability of having someone with Covid on their aircraft.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Same. I enjoy snarking on them but neither one is a bad person. I'm sure Jenny is terrified. Being sick in a foreign country without the level of healthcare you're used to and comforts of home is rough. Then throw India on top of that. I feel bad for both of them. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Annifran said:

Her visa is good for 180 days. She's been jumping over the border via train or bus and returning to reset it. I'm not sure how this will affect it, though, because I don't know when this new one started. 

• Like 1

I believe she said that with the pandemic, she can't leave and come back, and has to apply for an extension every month.     I hope she has the travel medical insurance, because otherwise she's not insured at all.     

• Like 3

Cases have spiked in India lately.  Someone at my company in our Bangalore office just died of COVID and others have tested positive

• Sad 8

7 hours ago, JLaw said:

Cases have spiked in India lately.  Someone at my company in our Bangalore office just died of COVID and others have tested positive

Spiked is not the word for it; exploded is more like it. They must be scared out of their wits, and Jenny couldn't travel to the U.S. if she wanted to. Biden has shut that shit down.

• Sad 6

They will still allow U.S. citizens, and permanent residents to travel, but they still have to have a negative test right before the flight, and from an approved lab.    Even more concerning are some U.S. citizens that claim since the hospitals in India are so full, and overwhelmed, that non-Indians are being refused medical care.   I see little chance that people trying to leave India will have the capability of getting Covid tests, and isolating to fly back.   I bet the airline ticket prices will go up too. 

Evacuation flights aren't free either, and I'm sure anyone flying back will have to quarantine for a couple of weeks, even with the negative tests.  Unless there is some other testing protocol is different. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They will still allow U.S. citizens, and permanent residents to travel, but they still have to have a negative test right before the flight, and from an approved lab.    Even more concerning are some U.S. citizens that claim since the hospitals in India are so full, and overwhelmed, that non-Indians are being refused medical care. 

This is when the US and other governments should step in and create some expatriate flights. Especially if non Indian citizens aren’t able to access any kind of care. A very scary situation.  
Does the US have any military bases in India? 

Edited by watchingtvaddict · Reason: Added a question
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

There are no U.S. bases in India.    Most of the evacuation flights have been either regular commercial airlines, or charters from commercial airlines.   With the number of people that would need, or want to leave, it would be a nightmare coordinating the flights, and the various cities people would need transportation from.   

Some for U.S. government and civilian family members, were evacuated on military aircraft I think, but that was at the very beginning, (I think from Japan?).   Then the people on the flights were taken to military bases and quarantined.    (followed by a lot of whining about the housing, and the food).     

Who knows if Jenny would even leave to come back to the U.S. anyway.     She had plenty of chances to get on a plane in the last year, and didn't.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

On 4/29/2021 at 7:09 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I believe she said that with the pandemic, she can't leave and come back, and has to apply for an extension every month.     I hope she has the travel medical insurance, because otherwise she's not insured at all.     

On the positive side, healthcare in india is just a fraction of the cost it is here. Americans actually travel there to get shit done. Medical tourism is huge there. I broke my arm there and my medical transport, 2 night hospital stay, surgery, cast, medications, and follow up cost $350 total. It was actually cheaper to pay cash than to use my insurance. 

On the negative side, India is totally fucked right now. The chances of receiving ANY medical care, insurance or not, aren't good. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 5

Poor Jenny. She gave up everything, including her car, and now she has Covid! I hope Sumit’s parents are okay, because I loved how they brought the snark, like professionals always do.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, endure said:

Couldn't help but chuckle when I read this sentence in the article (bold added for emphasis):

"However, her and Sumit’s diagnosis as India experiences a public health crisis came as a major blow."

What a blow they've been dealt.

I'll show myself out now....

• Laugh 23

On 5/4/2021 at 9:38 AM, hookedontv said:

Couldn't help but chuckle when I read this sentence in the article (bold added for emphasis):

"However, her and Sumit’s diagnosis as India experiences a public health crisis came as a major blow."

What a blow they've been dealt.

I'll show myself out now....

Same! And then this one...burn!!

“This made the situation sound serious for Jenny, with elderly people being the prime victims of COVID-19”

• Laugh 15

1 hour ago, CSunshine76 said:

Same! And then this one...burn!!

“This made the situation sound serious for Jenny, with elderly people being the prime victims of COVID-19”

What did his dad say?  "You couldn't find another oldie to marry?"  Or something like that??

• Laugh 12

On 5/5/2021 at 11:15 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

What did his dad say?  "You couldn't find another oldie to marry?"  Or something like that??

And last season didn't Sumbitch make the statement regarding COVID:

"I have asthma...and Jenny is old."  

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

On 5/9/2021 at 9:32 AM, Persnickety1 said:

And last season didn't Sumbitch make the statement regarding COVID:

"I have asthma...and Jenny is old."  

I don't recall his mentioning asthma, but he did say he was diabetic which surprised me.

• Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I don't recall his mentioning asthma, but he did say he was diabetic which surprised me.

Oh, it could very well have been diabetic rather than asthma.  My jaw dropped as soon as he said "and Jenny is old," so I may have misremembered what he said just prior to that.  😂

• Like 6