Type keyword(s) to search

Jenny & Sumit: Slumdog Thousandaire

• Start Topic

On 6/11/2019 at 11:41 AM, poeticlicensed said:

She lives in the guest bedroom in her daughter's apartment, which leads me to believe that she could not afford to support herself in her own place plus Sumit. I also think she wants out of her current life, and brining Sumit to the US would impose a whole new set of pressures, particularly financial.  I think she is runnng away, Him coming here wouldn't serve that purpose. 

I am not done reading all comments but why did it show her leaving an empty apartment when she's going to the airport?  The living room just had a few boxes, but no furniture.  So was the daughter completely leaving too?  I smell shenanigans.

I like to replay bit  when Sumit tells his 2 friends he’s going to marry Jenny. The look on their faces is priceless, they cannot fathom what this idiot intends to do. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, iwasish said:

I like to replay bit  when Sumit tells his 2 friends he’s going to marry Jenny. The look on their faces is priceless, they cannot fathom what this idiot intends to do. 

yes, I love it, too.  Especially the friend who keeps covering his face.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, AZChristian said:

"Jenny?  THAT Jenny??????"

Makes a snarker wonder how many Jennys he has found online.

For an average cost of $3, 626. 21 USD Jenny can have a round of IVF with an Indian donor for eggs and try to have Sumit's baby.  (I think my conversion is correct)

That must have been a crowded 4 months living with Sumit, his brother, his parents and grandparents in one house.  If the parents were unhappy about Jenny, I bet the grandparents were even more unhappy.  

• Love 3
18 hours ago, AZChristian said:

"Jenny?  THAT Jenny??????"

I love that reaction, too.  Okay, I am gonna play devil's advocate here:

Summit only wanted Jenny there to get out of his parent's apartment.  Her $$ will help fund that apartment.  When the money runs out, time to break up.  Yes?  No?  Maybe?

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

I didn’t think he wanted to leave his parents;  I thought he was doing it only because his parents didn’t approve of Jenny.  Assumed maybe that’s why he appears so torn. 

They may know whether it will work out before the money runs out, or until they get caught, and if it’s not to be, he may end up back home.  

• Love 3

Jenny should have used her money for therapy. To leave a job and all your family for a man who is planning to hide you from his family. How desperate can you feel within! 

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, sonder said:

Jenny should have used her money for therapy. To leave a job and all your family for a man who is planning to hide you from his family. How desperate can you feel within! 

I agree - I, and I think most sane and emotionally healthy people, are NOT okay with a relationship that is starting out with lying.  To listen to her, half crying, saying, "I mean, this is a dream come true!" was kinda heartbreaking.  A man young enough to be your son who needs to hide you away from his family, LIES to his family, makes a not great income, lives in a country that is well......not that great, and is now gonna put the push on changing how you dress....THAT is a dream?  Dream bigger, Jenny.  Dream bigger.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, sonder said:

And hiding in plain sight no less!! It’s only a matter of time before someone sees him and tells his family.

I think Sumit was happy with the relationship just they way it was. I don’t think sex is a driving force in this relationship on his part, it seems more important to Jenny. She’s looking for romantic love and passion in the later years of her life. Sumit still has a lot of years ahead and the conversation and companionship/friendship over the phone and internet is enough for him. He works nights so he probably sleeps days and most likely spends time on the phone with her and the hangs in the local cafes with his buddies till he is due at work. He doesn’t have the same feeling that time is running out on him that Jenny does. I see her returning to the USA.

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, iwasish said:

And hiding in plain sight no less!! It’s only a matter of time before someone sees him and tells his family.

I think Sumit was happy with the relationship just they way it was. I don’t think sex is a driving force in this relationship on his part, it seems more important to Jenny. She’s looking for romantic love and passion in the later years of her life. Sumit still has a lot of years ahead and the conversation and companionship/friendship over the phone and internet is enough for him. He works nights so he probably sleeps days and most likely spends time on the phone with her and the hangs in the local cafes with his buddies till he is due at work. He doesn’t have the same feeling that time is running out on him that Jenny does. I see her returning to the USA.

I agree with your whole post but I bolded a certain part because Jenny is entitled to that at age 60.  No doubt about that - I just don't think Summit is the dude to deliver.  I see her returning to the USA because 1) she misses her daughters and grandkids too much, 2) The lying and sneaking around gets to Summit and he stresses too much and it wears on them, 3) she runs out of money and can't work in India and SS is not enough, 4) Summit chooses his parents, 5) Summit puts too much pressure on her to dress Indian and she gets pissed.

Anyone of them are plausiblee but I think #4 is the forerunner.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree with your whole post but I bolded a certain part because Jenny is entitled to that at age 60.  No doubt about that - I just don't think Summit is the dude to deliver.  I see her returning to the USA because 1) she misses her daughters and grandkids too much, 2) The lying and sneaking around gets to Summit and he stresses too much and it wears on them, 3) she runs out of money and can't work in India and SS is not enough, 4) Summit chooses his parents, 5) Summit puts too much pressure on her to dress Indian and she gets pissed.

Yes, she is absolutely entitled to passion and love, no matter her age. But she has to be realistic. And this situation is not realistic. It reminds me of middle school and having the guy you crush on say hello one day and finding yourself creating a whole relationship out of that one word. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Yes, she is absolutely entitled to passion and love, no matter her age. But she has to be realistic. And this situation is not realistic. It reminds me of middle school and having the guy you crush on say hello one day and finding yourself creating a whole relationship out of that one word. 

I agree - I made the same analogy as you per Corey and Evelin - he reminds me of the 12 year boy I kissed behind the lilac bushes on the cheek.  And now he won't stop showing up at hy house and writing me letters.  But we were 12.

Most of these people have the emotional maturity of middle schoolers.  Actually, as someone who has worked with middle schoolers, middle schoolers have better judgement.  (Most of them.)

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I love that reaction, too.  Okay, I am gonna play devil's advocate here:

Summit only wanted Jenny there to get out of his parent's apartment.  Her $$ will help fund that apartment.  When the money runs out, time to break up.  Yes?  No?  Maybe?

It's possible.  I realize it's a different culture but I can imagine a lot of 30 year olds don't want to live with their parents.  

But he is basically moving in with his mom, so I don't know.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I think all of those are possible, but I think it's unlikely that the relationship ends because it's what she chooses.  So, yeah I think #4 because of #2,3 and 5.

In that I think it's not a fairy tale for either of them.  She wants to wear and behave like her perception of an "American woman", and it cases fights.  

AND

The lying and the sneaking causes fights (and I promise there will be a showdown with his parents because this plan is terrible, and if TLC loves me they will get it on tape).

AND

not sure if Jennie is getting SS yet.  If she isn't they are living off his income and her 6000 and that can be stressful knowing that you only have 6k and nothing else to live on for up to a year.

and so summit, who is already a fish out of water living away from his parents is going to be stressed out and break it off.

and it's much easier for him to do so.  He is in his native country, he has a job, his parents are right there.  Going home is easier.  I think Jennie won't choose to break up even if she is miserable because she is pretty invested in the relationship and it's harder for her to re-establish herself in the United States 

yeah, eventually she will get SS.  And if it's $1200 a month she can for sure get a roommate or two and live just fine in the desert.  Getting another job at 60 when she doesn't appear to have an education and was doing hotel work will be tough because having worked in a hotel there wasn't a job besides maintenance that required any special skill or training.  So it makes sense to hire someone younger.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

I think all of those are possible, but I think it's unlikely that the relationship ends because it's what she chooses.  So, yeah I think #4 because of #2,3 and 5.

In that I think it's not a fairy tale for either of them.  She wants to wear and behave like her perception of an "American woman", and it cases fights.  

AND

The lying and the sneaking causes fights (and I promise there will be a showdown with his parents because this plan is terrible, and if TLC loves me they will get it on tape).

AND

not sure if Jennie is getting SS yet.  If she isn't they are living off his income and her 6000 and that can be stressful knowing that you only have 6k and nothing else to live on for up to a year.

and so summit, who is already a fish out of water living away from his parents is going to be stressed out and break it off.

and it's much easier for him to do so.  He is in his native country, he has a job, his parents are right there.  Going home is easier.  I think Jennie won't choose to break up even if she is miserable because she is pretty invested in the relationship and it's harder for her to re-establish herself in the United States 

yeah, eventually she will get SS.  And if it's $1200 a month she can for sure get a roommate or two and live just fine in the desert.  Getting another job at 60 when she doesn't appear to have an education and was doing hotel work will be tough because having worked in a hotel there wasn't a job besides maintenance that required any special skill or training.  So it makes sense to hire someone younger.

I don’t think she’ll CHOOSE to break up, but I think they will break up, probably because  Sumit will move back home to appease his folks and her options will be stay in India either as Sumit’s woman and see him on the sly or alone,(paying her own way), or eventually returning to the US. My take is she  is only in India to be with Sumit and she wants a real full life with Sumit, not sitting around waiting for him to sneak away from his parents for a few hours. If they aren’t a couple, I don’t think living alone in India  is enticing  enough to keep her there. 

• Love 7

She may have deleted it because I don't see it now but Jenny said her visa requires her to leave India every 180 days and she goes back to California.

I don't follow her and read it on Soapdirt maybe? several weeks ago, but she responded to a question about why her photos were from California and asking if she married Sumit. She did say there were together, I think, but didn't specify they were married. 

The reason I point this out is because I thought it answered a question I read a whole three minutes ago and have since forgotten. I reread the last few comments but no, still don't remember what it was I was referring to, so feel free to ignore. 

• Love 4
On 7/1/2019 at 8:40 AM, RealReality said:

yes, that would be interesting to see.  

I am trying to decide if what he says he has to come clean about on the show tonight is a biggie or just bait for us since he had to come clean earlier in the relationship about not being a buff Michael Jones.     I am thinking it could be as boring as coming clean about how he really wishes she would was her hair even if they don't have hot water yet.  OTOH, it could be something more important like he is borrowing a friends apartment and they need to find another apartment asap.  Or even bigger, he quit or was fired from his job.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Jenny, you didn't think that the other shoe would drop?

Sumit didn't tell you he was quitting his job? He should have found a new one long before you arrived. Of course, there is not much money to support you now. Did you think he was going to support you for a few years in India and that you would dip in to your savings to buy some gifts or clothes or things? Did you not talk about how you would manage financially?

Buy yourself a plane ticket and go back home. At least you will still have about half or so of your savings.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

And now he is unemployed.  To spend more time with Jenny.  Yeah, that will work.

I have no faith in the foreigners in this situation. Maybe Sumit thinks this would be a wake up for Jenny and she will decide its better for them to move to the States. I really think "the other way" is a long con for foreigners to move to the States without it seeming like a relationship scam... "look we tried to make it work in my country but the States was a better bet for us to stay together..."

• Love 4
1 minute ago, watchingtvaddict said:

I have no faith in the foreigners in this situation. Maybe Sumit thinks this would be a wake up for Jenny and she will decide its better for them to move to the States. I really think "the other way" is a long con for foreigners to move to the States without it seeming like a relationship scam... "look we tried to make it work in my country but the States was a better bet for us to stay together..."

Does anyone think he did it to force the issue of getting her to leave?  My hubby thinks Sumit seems like a nice but dim guy and maybe he is in a low caste and can't get anyone.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, watchingtvaddict said:

It's not a bad idea.  She can be as American as she likes over here and he can get a job with some good dental benefits.  I have to brace myself Everytime he opens his mouth.

• LOL 5
12 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Does anyone think he did it to force the issue of getting her to leave?  My hubby thinks Sumit seems like a nice but dim guy and maybe he is in a low caste and can't get anyone.

Didn't someone way upthread make the call that Sumit was doing the "long con," whereby he would make sure that circumstances would "force" them to move to America, thereby fulfilling his long-term goal of getting to America?

I'm pretty sure it was Sumit to whom the poster was referring, but it might have been Alla-Din.  

Anyway, pretty shady to quit his job as soon as Jenny gets over there.  I'm curious to see whether they were married.  I'm assuming her being married to Sumit might improve his chances of getting over to America.  

• Love 2

If he's no longer working but they're still hiding from his family, why can't they just move out of the area? He can be unemployed anywhere in India, maybe move somewhere with even fewer creature comforts (!) where Jenny's $ 6K will go further 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, magemaud said:

If he's no longer working but they're still hiding from his family, why can't they just move out of the area? He can be unemployed anywhere in India, maybe move somewhere with even fewer creature comforts (!) where Jenny's $ 6K will go further 

She is having a shit fit over cold showers, Im not sure she can hang.

In "The Other Way", is the foreign spouse paid by TLC because it is being filmed in their country or is the American still paid? Or both? I'm betting TLC's pay is more than Sumit's salary at the call center. I looked up wages over there a while back and if I remember correctly, the average salary for a call center rep was about $6,000 a year. Monthly, that is just $150 more than his rent!

I'm just guessing, but I think that both people get paid when they're filmed outside the US. It was explained some time ago that the reason only the Americans were paid for 90F was because their partners couldn't legally work and get paid in the US until they married and got their green card. After that happens (IF it does) I would think that the foreign spouse would also begin to be paid for appearing. I also read that NOBODY gets paid until the season is completed. 

• Useful 2
1 minute ago, magemaud said:

I'm just guessing, but I think that both people get paid when they're filmed outside the US. It was explained some time ago that the reason only the Americans were paid for 90F was because their partners couldn't legally work and get paid in the US until they married and got their green card. After that happens (IF it does) I would think that the foreign spouse would also begin to be paid for appearing. I also read that NOBODY gets paid until the season is completed. 

Ashley had posted something about the big payout after the season is over, but I thought they got $1,000 or so per episode during filming. Idk for sure though. I might be getting it confused with my other trashy tv show My 600 Lb Life. Or Love After Lockup....or I just really need to get a life.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Again, I don’t know for sure, but I think the $1K per episode is given at the end of the season and totals about $15. I found this info: 

“The stars of 90 Day Fiancé reportedly make a significantly lower amount of money than many other reality stars, with most of them making as little as $15,000 per season, with an added bonus of $2,500 to appear in the tell-all, according to Cheat Sheet.

Nikki Cooper, a friend of David Toborowsky who appeared on 90 Day Fiance season 5, revealed the cast members only get paid $1,000 per episode.”

• Useful 1
(edited)

Makes sense about the foreign fiance not getting paid in US (Work laws and immigration laws in play) ---- but I still think that the pay rate is variable. Possibly they start at a given rate whether it is $1000 per episode or season (per season seems really low and not likely?) but I bet when they turn out to be a good drama couple or a very likeable couple they get more. 

I am not sure if they are able to pay for THINGS as opposed to paying a salary- like trips, restaurants, maybe buying clothing ( like I don't recall seeing where Jay and his family got their winter gear from. that costs money no?)  .... and of course for SUMIT and fiance- going shopping for sari and such. Where is that money coming from if he is not working and they have extremely limited funds.........just sayin'

Obviously I have no knowledge and just guessing.

Edited by mayvenne
5 hours ago, magemaud said:

I don't think the foreigner gets paid because they're still working for a US company and I think all the laws that apply in the States still apply in another country. They're making a product for a US market and I don't think they production company is going to the trouble of setting up or contracting out the work to a foreign production company so the foreigner will be able to pay taxes on the income. Azan didn't receive his paycheck but had to wait for Nicole to give him his half, so I don't think the production company would operate differently for The Other Way...But, I could be wrong. 

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:09 AM, magemaud said:

I don’t want to get off the topic, but this explains a bit of the pay issue 

https://www.ibtimes.com/how-much-do-90-day-fiance-couples-get-paid-their-salary-revealed-2740792

Sumit probably figured they can live on Jenny's money until they get paid for the show.  They will then have close to a year of his wages in one lump sum.  Maybe he's hoping for another season - even longer before he will have to worry about money.

I doubled checked with my bestie who went to India and stayed for some time.  You can get a pedi at a 5* hotel for 10 USD.

There is no need for Somemeat to do her nails. That's TLC crap.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Yes Jenny, Sumit certainly CAN go home to his parents and leave you in the apartment.  I am still bemused by someone who plans to relocate without making the slightest effort to research customs and living standards, not to mention making some effort to at lest begin learning the local language.  Jenny is behaving like an elderly(ish) infant.

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, ThereButFor said:

Yes Jenny, Sumit certainly CAN go home to his parents and leave you in the apartment.  I am still bemused by someone who plans to relocate without making the slightest effort to research customs and living standards, not to mention making some effort to at lest begin learning the local language.  Jenny is behaving like an elderly(ish) infant.

And she's been there for a month! Doesn't understand the money, how to get around? Makes sense now why Sumit quit his job... Jenny would be complaining constantly about being stuck in the apartment while he worked because apparently exploring the city alone isn't an option.  

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

My god she turned into Fernanda.  "You can't leave me alooooooneeeeee" and "What am i supposed to do all dayyyyyyyy"

Which raises the question: What was she planning to do all day if he had a job?

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

My god she turned into Fernanda.  "You can't leave me alooooooneeeeee" and "What am i supposed to do all dayyyyyyyy"

Whining is a productive and inexpensive way to pass the time in a new country.  

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
On 7/30/2019 at 10:57 AM, Gobi said:

Which raises the question: What was she planning to do all day if he had a job?

And the further question:  What have she and Sumit been doing in the apartment all day?  And don't tell me jiggy jiggy because that can't fill up an entire day, can it?  No kidding--have they been going out to sight-see or grocery shopping?  To the market to buy her Indian clothes ( she looks good in the Indian-ish outfits she's been sporting)?  She's an adult, ffs; can't she repeat some of those outings, if nothing else?

She seriously needs to learn some Hindi, or whatever is spoken where they live, so she can at least say Please and Thank you.  Why can't she begin a routine of walking to a coffee shop and drinking some tea every morning, or doing *something* to try to meet someone who might turn into a friend?

She is an old lady, and so am I.  And I can tell you that one of the benefits of becoming an old lady is that you no longer care about things like looking sexy for strangers or making honest mistakes in dealing with sales people and the like.  She's of an age when she can apologize (You must forgive me; I'm old) followed by (Can you show me how to do it the right way?).  I guarantee she'd make friends and start to have fun without Sumit.

• Love 14
55 minutes ago, Mothra said:

And the further question:  What have she and Sumit been doing in the apartment all day?  And don't tell me jiggy jiggy because that can't fill up an entire day, can it?  No kidding--have they been going out to sight-see or grocery shopping?  To the market to buy her Indian clothes ( she looks good in the Indian-ish outfits she's been sporting)?  She's an adult, ffs; can't she repeat some of those outings, if nothing else?

She seriously needs to learn some Hindi, or whatever is spoken where they live, so she can at least say Please and Thank you.  Why can't she begin a routine of walking to a coffee shop and drinking some tea every morning, or doing *something* to try to meet someone who might turn into a friend?

She is an old lady, and so am I.  And I can tell you that one of the benefits of becoming an old lady is that you no longer care about things like looking sexy for strangers or making honest mistakes in dealing with sales people and the like.  She's of an age when she can apologize (You must forgive me; I'm old) followed by (Can you show me how to do it the right way?).  I guarantee she'd make friends and start to have fun without Sumit.

I wondered that, too!  What did you do before?  Sit around and cry about "What a blow we've been dealt!"  His friends were right  - she will turn into a Level Five Clinger.  And she did, in no time flat.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

I would like to humbly request that this thread be renamed:

Jenny & Sumit: Slumdog Hundredaire*

*Thousandaire is really pushing it a bit, don't you think?!?

Edited by gingerella
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1