Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
kariyaki

It Wasn't Like That in the Book... Book vs. Movie/TV adaptations

My thinking on this is unless the physical appearance is directly impacts the plot or character action/motivation I am not going to sweat it too much.    Kinda like his take on Ready Player One where the female character's issues about her appearance are a part of her entire character's motivations.  He's right, if you are going to keep those as part of the plot then cast a person whose physical appearance makes sense or else remove those elements from the plot of your movie.

As for Hermione, in the movies, Emma Watson's looks would have been of no issue if they had chosen to excise the catty comments she got about her teeth/hair from the books.  But then the Yule ball is pretty problematic because they chose to keep in the "*GASP* Hermione is PRETTY!  scene to make  it seem like Hermione was a troll who suddenly became a supermodel, when in reality she only tied her hair back and put on a nice dress.

I disagree with him a bit about Tyrion.  My overall impression is that it is Tyrion's dwarfism that has the biggest impact on how his character is viewed and reviled esp. by Cersei, not his 'rougher' looks.   It is also not an good example to illustrate plot discrepancies because GOT jettisoned, coalesced and made expedient plot changes from the book to fit the show all over the place  For GOT, imo, it would have been Brienne of Tarth who got the Glow Up in the show, not Tyrion.  Brienne is described as being super plain even downright ugly.  Gwendolyn Christie on her worst day, even in character was not homely.  She is simply tall.

But overall, his argument is dead on. 

3 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

In Little Women I thought it was distracting that Meg (Emma Stone) had jet black hair when in the book she takes great pride in having curly blond hair, and Jo is a brunette.

I haven't seen the film but I've felt, since it was announced, that the casting seemed totally wrong for just about every part, physically and like in essence... Eliza Scanlan basically already played a psycho version of Amy in Sharp Objects... I have no desire to see it and feel like I'm the only person in the world that feels that way.

I watched the 1990's version recently and it just reinforced my feelings because that one was pretty much perfectly cast (Even though Meg is also brunette in that one). And I also liked the BBC/PBS one with Maya Hawke so it's not just being precious about my childhood version.

3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I disagree with him a bit about Tyrion.  My overall impression is that it is Tyrion's dwarfism that has the biggest impact on how his character is viewed and reviled esp. by Cersei, not his 'rougher' looks.  

Exactly.  He could've been the most beautiful dwarf in the kingdom, and he'd still be a monster to Cersei and Tywin.  And an object of ridicule to a lot of Westerosi.

4 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

In Little Women I thought it was distracting that Meg (Emma Stone) had jet black hair when in the book she takes great pride in having curly blond hair, and Jo is a brunette.

Meg  had "plenty of soft brown hair". Beth had "smooth, dark hair". Jo's was chestnut and Amy was described with "golden curls".

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 11:01 AM, Growsonwalls said:

Minor nitpick -- it was Emma Watson in the movie, not Emma Stone.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Minor nitpick -- it was Emma Watson in the movie, not Emma Stone.

Minor interesting fact: It was originally supposed to be Emma Stone but she dropped out.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

I finally got around to reading Election by Tom Perrota and it's really different from how the story was done in the movie. The characters are more complex and nuanced, and the ending was different. And the movie had an alternate ending that was more faithful to the one in the book: Tracy and Mr. McAllister meeting again before she leaves for college and him apologizing to her. And it was so well done that I'm almost sorry the filmmakers cut that in favor of the darker satirical ending. Not that the movie ending wasn't good too.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 9:24 AM, DearEvette said:

Brienne is described as being super plain even downright ugly.  Gwendolyn Christie on her worst day, even in character was not homely.  She is simply tall.

Christie doesn't fit conventional standards of beauty for women and as such she will have her looks put down. I remember her commenting after she was cast as Brienne that it's the first time she has ever heard that she is too attractive.

All of GoT was told from characters' inner POVs, and the world was hardly enlightened, so I'm completely fine with the thinking that Brienne was being judged by everyone on conventional standards of beauty and she herself had internalized that.

Much like how Tyrion really isn't treated any worse after his face was mutilated in battle - his face was fine before, but he was a dwarf and that was enough in itself to make him undesirable. Brienne's got the same issue, just in reverse - he's too small, she's too big.

• Like 2

I remember her commenting after she was cast as Brienne that it's the first time she has ever heard that she is too attractive.

Same with Sarah Parish who played Lady Hamleigh in Pillars of the Earth. In the book she was described as hideous, her face covered in boils which she kept touching with her emaciated hands. In the movie she was a beautiful woman with a couple of owies on her cheek.