Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E07: Living Fearlessly

• Start Topic

The run to the first clue box gave an interesting perspective on the racers' packs.  Someone commented above that Chris & Bret had full size packs, something not normally seen since very early seasons.  I noticed how small Nicole's pack was - just slightly bigger than a school back pack.  Victor's is larger, though, and stuffed full, so he's likely carrying some of her load.  After Nicole, Tyler & Corey looked like they had the next smallest packs, and they commented that they trained by running with full packs.  (Smart!)  Everyone else had mid-size packs, but Rachel & Elissa's seemed really overstuffed and weighted down.  Maybe it's all the spare false eyelashes. 

So, not surprising that the two teams with what appeared to be the heaviest packs were the last to the clue box. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, millennium said:
2 hours ago, chaifan said:

Did anyone else notice the guy at the canyon jump?  With at least 2, possibly 3 teams, he said "jump on three", then proceeded to count down from three.

In a couple instances he appeared to push the jumpers.   I couldn't tell if he was taking choice out of the equation or padding the jump with a shove to add some distance between their heads and the platform.

I noticed that, too, especially with Nicole. I enjoyed his exchange with Elissa. She asked if there was a wrong way to jump and he said, "Head first." It struck me as a very good question to ask, especially when you're doing something where safety is a concern.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Hera said:

I enjoyed his exchange with Elissa. She asked if there was a wrong way to jump and he said, "Head first." It struck me as a very good question to ask, especially when you're doing something where safety is a concern.

Actually, my thought in that exchange was 'shouldn't he have told her that already' and also a passing thought that she was going to go over head first, since so many people seem to do exactly what they are told not to (and I don't mean on purpose)

5 hours ago, Haleth said:

This has me thinking... if you are eliminated at the mat have you completed the leg?  Or does "complete the leg" mean you have managed to stay in the game to race again the next day?  I don't know. 

Based on what Phil said at the Mat, TAR counts surviving the leg and advancing to the next as "completing the leg".

Which is why I'm hoping more than ever that the Reillys get eliminated in the next leg.  If Rachel takes this record, she'll be even more insufferable than she already is.

• Love 15
(edited)
4 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Yes! I kept thinking, how can you can expect them to jump on 3 when you're counting down to 1. Then it was like someone clued him in or he went into a longer explanation for someone and realized it himself.

4 hours ago, chaifan said:

Did anyone else notice the guy at the canyon jump?  With at least 2, possibly 3 teams, he said "jump on three", then proceeded to count down from three.

It seemed like the racers had almost an entire train car to themselves.  There were a few shots where there was no one in the background for at least 5 rows.  But in another shot there were other passengers.  I'm guessing a block of tickets were reserved for the racers, since we didn't see any ticket window scenes.

It was still a 3 number count, even if counting down instead of up.

I like it more when they mix with locals on transport.

Nicole pulled as big a face as any of Rachel's when Victor just said 'no' about asking for directions.  And later Victor just seemed to want to go back without getting any confirmation from anyone.  Post-race they will back each other up. 

I'm not surprised if teams work out that it's a non-elimination from extended discussion at the mat because I'm sure most seasoned viewers will too, it became a very predictable tactic from Phil and I've wanted him to use more of the quicker reveals  for maximum fakeout effect.

Edited by amazingracefan
13 hours ago, fishcakes said:

"In tonight's episode, the part of Jim Halpert will be played by everyone."

christiejim.JPG.829eb31f69d65d59291b6d792772a819.JPG

tylerjim.JPG.c3c5cb00a51c16d49b3cea93fab174f5.JPG

victorjim.JPG.6970c52af1dbca0f79b976cdcbc45979.JPG

I know a lot of people hate it when racers look directly into the camera, but I thought all these were pretty cute.

The BB fight was dumb. The Reillys were trying to help Vic/Nic, but they were also trying to help themselves and they should have just been upfront about that since they had already agreed to work together. The incomplete information followed by a bunch of shifting details just made them look like they were the ones out to get Victor and Nicole. At the same time, it was dumb for Vic/Nic to ask Team Fun if they were planning to U-turn them. Either Team Fun wasn't planning to U-turn them and will therefore tell the truth and say no, or they were planning to U-turn them and will therefore lie and say no.

As much as I love New Colin, I'm going to give Christie some credit too. She only did one roadblock in TAR 5, so I was curious to see how she'd do with the tasks this time around, and she's more than holding her own. It was sweet when Colin got teary-eyed after she did the bungee jump.

There is also a moment when the teams are running up the hill to the first clue box and Becca, who has a huuuuuge smile one her face, smiles also directly at the cameraman filming them as they run. (sorry don't know how to capture the moment)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kelda Feegle said:

There is also a moment when the teams are running up the hill to the first clue box and Becca, who has a huuuuuge smile one her face, smiles also directly at the cameraman filming them as they run. (sorry don't know how to capture the moment)

That felt staged to me like the cameraman was pointing up to the sight of the mountains and saying smile how much you like it.  

7 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Based on what Phil said at the Mat, TAR counts surviving the leg and advancing to the next as "completing the leg".

Which is why I'm hoping more than ever that the Reillys get eliminated in the next leg.  If Rachel takes this record, she'll be even more insufferable than she already is.

ITA, but is that even possible? Seems like Rachel attained the Pinnacle of Insufferability quite a while ago. When she was partnered with Brendan the last time she was on, she somehow managed to get out of doing every task that had the slightest bit of difficulty to it and made Brendan do it.

This time around she's still doing it. Last night, Sister Ducklips did the bungee jump and the in the Water Down challenge, Ducklips did the harder part where she had to jump for the clue. Rachel should get the record for being on the most legs doing the least amount of heavy lifting. The Skater-By Award, accompanied by the Most Whining award.

Pus I kept hoping Elissa's evelashes would fall off during those water challenges.

• Love 9
On 5/29/2019 at 6:05 PM, Lamb18 said:

It was stress crying.

I remember when we all waited for the first signs of "Killer Fatigue."

I have to say, I really, REALLY am nostalgic for Miss Ali's recaps of this show.  

• Love 13

I'm rooting for the 2 big guys...and  or the gay guys to win. The last 2 seem to have  a better chance, cause they are more agile than the big guys, especially the one that was nervous going down the mountain.

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, chaifan said:

The run to the first clue box gave an interesting perspective on the racers' packs.  Someone commented above that Chris & Bret had full size packs, something not normally seen since very early seasons.

That was me but I only mentioned Brett's for the record.  Because to be fair, Chris had a sanely sized one.  Brett's could hold about 4 of Chris' inside it.

Edited by green
  • Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

Nicole pulled as big a face as any of Rachel's when Victor just said 'no' about asking for directions.  And later Victor just seemed to want to go back without getting any confirmation from anyone.  Post-race they will back each other up.

I realize you are likely not going to take anything they say at face value, but during their discussion with Korey they said like Korey, they did stop and ask for directions before leaving their previous destination.  Victor said the directions they got from more than one person were the same, but he turned the wrong way on leaving because they were all giving directions from a different parking lot across the street.

Nicole said when they showed her wanting to stop and ask for directions, they had already gotten directions 3x at that point but she wanted to stop again because she's the type that likes to double check and verify things and that last person looked like they had cell service whereas the previous people didn't have service.

Of all the things to lie about on the race, this doesn't seem like the type of thing that you would go to extra lengths to cover up, so I imagine it's some semblance of what happened.  That doesn't discount Victor's need to listen to her more, but they had gotten directions.

Also my impression from both teams is that the trip to the pit stop wasn't far at all and no team was lost for nearly as long as editing made it seem.  Of course the editors made it look that way for the dramatic effect, but the pit stop was like 5 miles away max.  I also think it was a pretty straight shot on one or two roads.  So yes, people got lost but they weren't lost for hours.

Edited by spanana
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 5/30/2019 at 12:21 PM, Tryangle said:

I know airport situations have been trimmed back over the years, but is the flight from Kampala to Zurich direct, and if so, wonder how long it takes?

A flight search seems to indicate that you can do it in as little as 11 hours, changing planes in Istanbul.  There are cheaper options that change in Dubai, but some of the layovers there are hideously long.  And you could also go via Nairobi and Abu Dhabi, but changing planes twice as often won't help your speed, of course.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

It was still a 3 number count, even if counting down instead of up.

To me, if he's counting down instead of up, it's "jump on one".  But the racers seemed to understand, so no harm, no foul.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Haleth said:

This has me thinking... if you are eliminated at the mat have you completed the leg?  Or does "complete the leg" mean you have managed to stay in the game to race again the next day?  I don't know. 

Yea the way I took it was that she has to survive the next leg.  If they get eliminated then it doesn't count. 

I'm also curious about the canyon jump. I would have been horrified much like Nicole. I don't like free falling and I hate rollercoasters with very large hills. And while I know it wouldn't do much good I found it odd that they didn't wear any helmets. 

However... can someone tell me how the attached line works?  Do you get a big jerk once your body free falls to the end of it? Or is it cushioned some how? I got anxiety just watching that whole thing. 

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Dmarie019 said:

I don't like free falling and I hate rollercoasters with very large hills.

Same here, but I think I would have been okay with the canyon boulder rapelling part of the task specifically because I would be looking up rather than having to look down at the spot where I would potentially plummet to my death.

• Love 4

"Swiss, they speak swiss, because they're form switzerland." Ah Victor, good thing you are pretty. (that isn't even mentioning the swedish part)

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Same here, but I think I would have been okay with the canyon boulder rapelling part of the task specifically because I would be looking up rather than having to look down at the spot where I would potentially plummet to my death.

If it were like a giant rope swing I think I could handle that. I've always want to zipline too. For me it's the point where you fall far enough to where the line jerks you back, that has to be an awful feeling unless they have a way to make that not happen. like how do you not snap your neck due to force? lol 

If it were a bunge cord they would bounce back... 

I can't even do the space shot at amusement parks... 

Edited by Dmarie019
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Miles said:

"Swiss, they speak Swiss, because they're from Switzerland." Ah Victor, good thing you are pretty. (That isn't even mentioning the Swedish part)

The funny part is that Switzerland has four official languages (French, German, Italian and Romansh) and he missed them all.  In two tries. 

So, 0-for-8, then.  Oy.  (That's Yiddish, not Oy-rish, Vic!)

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I long for the days when there was no U-Turn or Yield or any such nonsense. These elements were added to deliberately sow animosity between teams and stir up drama by network executives who thought the show too boring in comparison to lower-brow shows like Survivor and Big Brother. What a shame the network couldn't allow this competition to take the high road and had to bring it down to those levels.

• Love 10
(edited)

I very much approve of Tyler and Korey's taste in men. (and not just because I'm a 6'8 bearded guy [I wouldn't kick that guy out of bed either])

The race always had gay racers, even at a time where that maybe wasn't as uncontroversial as it is today and they never tried to hide them or anything and I very much appreciate that about this show. Yet, I don't think in the early days of the race it would have flown to show male racers actually being attracted to the male guides. I'm glad that we seem to be at a point now, where CBS doesn't fear low viewing numbers or even boycotts. I think that says something very positive about the western world and is a nice contrast to the countries we visited the past few weeks.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 19
(edited)
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved the part where Bret didn't know where he was on the rockface when  rapelling and saying, "I'm not looking down. I'm not looking down" and you can see that he's only about five feet off the ground and the guide is standing right there to unhook him.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

I loved the part where Bret didn't know where he was on the rockface when  rapelling and saying, "I'm not looking down. I'm not looking down" and you can see that he's only about five feet off the ground and the guide is standing right there to unhook him.

Bret is almost getting the dodo edit but not. He’s funny without being OTT like Tyler. Tyler is always ON! Bret is just himself & more natural. I love the relationship he & Chris have. Real guys raging each other but it’s never mean. I don’t know why he was afraid of heights but he didn’t have to worry about on Survivor so I never knew anything about it. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:
22 hours ago, SVNBob said:

ITA, but is that even possible?

If anyone can find a way, she can....

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
On 5/30/2019 at 9:42 AM, ChiefWiggum9-1-2 said:

Team Duckface seems to want to interact with the cameras more than the other contestants. 

This is how I saw the whole anticipatory U-turn drama: Rachel’s plan to be assured focused camera time. I’d really like to see a personal vendetta U-turn attempt wasted on a team that’s already ahead. 

I’m turning Elissa’s use of “literally” into a drinking game. 

• Love 4
(edited)
31 minutes ago, mbluecpa said:

Team Duckface seems to want to interact with the cameras more than the other contestants. 

"TEAM DUCKFACE"

I love it. It is so apropos.

image.png.3a5bf285c6e0e15136a19ee0c0943d97.png

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

I found the contrast between last week in Uganda, and this week in Switzerland quite powerful.  It went from a genuine risk of being arrested (or worse) to someone casually asking "so, are you guys together."

19 hours ago, Miles said:

I very much approve of Tyler and Korey's taste in men. (and not just because I'm a 6'8 bearded guy [I wouldn't kick that guy out of bed either])

The race always had gay racers, even at a time where that maybe wasn't as uncontroversial as it is today and they never tried to hide them or anything and I very much appreciate that about this show. Yet, I don't think in the early days of the race it would have flown to show male racers actually being attracted to the male guides. I'm glad that we seem to be at a point now, where CBS doesn't fear low viewing numbers or even boycotts. I think that says something very positive about the western world and is a nice contrast to the countries we visited the past few weeks.

Edited by Fretful
tere's no such word as andand
  • Love 8
(edited)

I've no doubt the producers are the ones pushing the record number of legs line, and I'm sure more of the audience suspect this than might voice it.

A problem with setting up pantomime villains/heroes is that they make a show predictable.  I was catching up on the first ep of the new incarnation of Project Runway (which I hadn't realised had finally returned) and the end was as predictable as it was annoying.  Maybe some viewers like things being predictable but if I can forecast what happens in advance it can feel too manipulative and not exciting enough.  

Edited by amazingracefan

Sigh!

I remember hating Rachel on her first season because she "literally" did NOTHING in the challenges.  She would whine and one of the guys would pity her and either do the job for her (!) or tell her what she was doing wrong.

I cannot imagine why she has been on this show over and over and over!

No skills, little charm and zero humor (from what we are shown).

Who do I contact on the show to express my intense disapproval of 'character' casting.  It isn't as much fun as someone in power seems to think it is.

While a couple of other teams 'mug' for attention, I find them far less irritating than Team Duck lips!   (Thank you for the nickname.  It sure fits)

• Love 8
1 hour ago, kaygeeret said:

Sigh!

I remember hating Rachel on her first season because she "literally" did NOTHING in the challenges.  She would whine and one of the guys would pity her and either do the job for her (!) or tell her what she was doing wrong.

I cannot imagine why she has been on this show over and over and over!

No skills, little charm and zero humor (from what we are shown).

Who do I contact on the show to express my intense disapproval of 'character' casting.  It isn't as much fun as someone in power seems to think it is.

While a couple of other teams 'mug' for attention, I find them far less irritating than Team Duck lips!   (Thank you for the nickname.  It sure fits)

ITA.  I thought they were nom de guerre "Team Duckface"

On 5/31/2019 at 11:44 AM, spanana said:

Also my impression from both teams is that the trip to the pit stop wasn't far at all and no team was lost for nearly as long as editing made it seem.  Of course the editors made it look that way for the dramatic effect, but the pit stop was like 5 miles away max.  I also think it was a pretty straight shot on one or two roads.  So yes, people got lost but they weren't lost for hours.

That was my impression too, because I remember Korey saying it took him & Tyler about 5 minutes to get to the pitstop. 

• Love 1
(edited)

A problem with setting up pantomime villains/heroes is that they make a show predictable.  I was catching up on the first ep of the new incarnation of Project Runway (which I hadn't realised had finally returned) and the end was as predictable as it was annoying.  Maybe some viewers like things being predictable but if I can forecast what happens in advance it can feel too manipulative and not exciting enough.  

I don't think the reality shows having somewhat predictable outcomes/endings is a remotely new thing though.  And while it does have some relation to peoples overall edits (good or bad), if I go back 10 years or so on most edited reality shows, it's the same basic format.  Biggest tell has always been screentime.  In Amazing Race if a couple is getting next to zero screen time in an episode, you can easily assume they are neither top nor bottom.  And if a couple that receives no screen time suddenly receives screen time the following week, it is usually fairly obvious.  Particularly in the early going when there are a lot of couples.  

I do agree that the manipulation of heroes versus villains has maybe increased over time, or the manipulation in general, but the predictability factor was always there.  Not that I think we necessarily agree on who are "villains".  Like I don't really think the Reillys are treated as traditional villain types on this show a la Corrine/Eliza were cast to be.  I don't think we're supposed to hate Rachel.  At this point the show knows that Rachel is polarizing.  Some people love her and others hate her, but she's also dang entertaining.

1 minute ago, spanana said:
Edited by spanana
  • Love 4

Tyler is always ON! Bret is just himself & more natural. 

Tyler's is just being himself naturally as well. You may not care for him or his personality but it's not an act, that's just the way he is. He's no less "natural" than Chris or anyone else. 

Honestly, the hate this kid has to endure just for being himself makes me wonder why he puts himself out there. 

• Love 19

Is it any surprise that narcissistic Rachel commented in the taxi at the beginning of the episode that this leg would tie her for most TAR legs run?  Do you think she knew that already?  Or was that fed to her by production and then reiterated by Phil at the mat?  I wouldn't be surprised if she knew.  Big whoop dee whoop.  All that means is that CBS has some stupid fascination and devotion to her, knowing that she is bat sheeat crazy that she MAKES FOR GOOD TV VIEWING and therefore much to our chagrin, she keeps getting brought back over and over.  Gah, I can't stand her and I hope she gets Philiminated this next episode.

I really am rooting for Colin and Christie.  I love that he seems like a changed man.  More introspective.  More zen.  More calm.  I love seeing that these two seem to have an apparently happy marriage after all these years.  Sometimes with a hothead like Colin was in the early season, that makes a relationship difficult.  Clearly things changed.  Do they have kids?  Was it mentioned at some point?  While Janelle/Brittney and the Reillys always talked about their kids, I can't remember Colin and Christie ever using them as a source of support and motivation.  

I am not a Cory and Tyler fan.  I think their mutual ogling of Sebastian was funny.  But If the big Survivor dudes were to constantly yammer about how hot a blonde Swedish female guide was?  I think CBS would face some backlash. 

1 hour ago, greyhorse said:

I really am rooting for Colin and Christie.  I love that he seems like a changed man.  More introspective.  More zen.  More calm.  I love seeing that these two seem to have an apparently happy marriage after all these years.  Sometimes with a hothead like Colin was in the early season, that makes a relationship difficult.  Clearly things changed.  Do they have kids?

Colin and Christie aren’t married. And they do have children. They were asked to be on a previous season of All-Stars, but Christie was pregnant.

• Love 1
(edited)

Do they have kids?  Was it mentioned at some point?

They mention their kids on the first episode of the season. As part of their introduction, Christie mentions that they have an 11 year old and a 6 year old.

That swing through the canyon looked pretty scary. What if you drifted too far to one side or the other?  

Edited by kili
21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Tyler's is just being himself naturally as well. You may not care for him or his personality but it's not an act, that's just the way he is. He's no less "natural" than Chris or anyone else. 

Honestly, the hate this kid has to endure just for being himself makes me wonder why he puts himself out there.  

His sexuality has nothing to do with rubbing people the wrong way.  He's a grown man, yet presents himself as a perennial 12 year old and that gets tiring after awhile.  I know people like that and have no time for that mentality.

• Love 3
On 5/30/2019 at 12:12 AM, Steph Sometimes said:

I'm not sure if Brett would be making comments about hot women.

LOL.  Bret really knows how to fly under the gaydar.  If he hadn't come out on Survivor, I doubt anyone would guess.  I believe he made some joke about Chris always having wanted to hold his hand.  But, if I didn't know Bret was gay, that probably would have gone right over my head.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, greyhorse said:

I am not a Cory and Tyler fan.  I think their mutual ogling of Sebastian was funny.  But If the big Survivor dudes were to constantly yammer about how hot a blonde Swedish female guide was?  I think CBS would face some backlash. 

Somehow I think Chris and Leo would be the only males to ogle any guide in that scenario, because Colin, Jamal, and Victor are all in relationships, and Bret's not into women at all, and I don't think Floyd is either.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ChiefWiggum9-1-2 said:

His sexuality has nothing to do with rubbing people the wrong way.  He's a grown man, yet presents himself as a perennial 12 year old and that gets tiring after awhile.  I know people like that and have no time for that mentality.

I co-sign this. It’s how he acts rather than he’s gay. He’s 30 years old and does act like he’s 12. His Peter Pan act gets kind of old. I guess I wouldn’t even notice it if I hadn’t seen his first season but I did. He hasn’t changed and the act is kind of old. Also, his laugh annoys but that’s just my personal tic. People laugh how they laugh. I’m sure mine annoys people. LOL!!!!!

• Love 3
On 5/29/2019 at 6:03 PM, mojoween said:

“Do we have to jump?”

“No, just step off the platform.”

“That’s just like jumping.”

Nicole has never been my favorite, but that was endearing, even if her emotions fell all over the place at the mat.  Also, Victor needed to listen to her in the car.

This leg had non-elim written all over it so I wasn’t too worried when they were last.

Why would anyone EVER leave Zurich?

Of COURSE Colin would get out of the heli and pretend to be a sniper.  I loved old Colin, and I love new Colin.

Pretty sure that wasn’t Zurich.  There is a train station right at the airport and they traveled for 3 hours.

Don’t recognize the town they mentioned.

But you can certainly get to the heart of the Alps in a train ride, though you’d likely have to change trains.

7 hours ago, lexington11 said:

Bret's not into women at all, and I don't think Floyd is either.

He says in the Team Fun recap of the Uganda leg that he is.  He says he talked to Tyler and Korey about comparing their experiences in Uganda as gay white men versus his experience as a straight black man.

• Love 8
(edited)
23 hours ago, kili said:

They mention their kids on the first episode of the season. As part of their introduction, Christie mentions that they have an 11 year old and a 6 year old.

That swing through the canyon looked pretty scary. What if you drifted too far to one side or the other?  

The couldn't drift into any danger.  It is a professional (and commercial) set-up made to give the effect of being scary but really isn't. Also TAR has always been a safety first production company. 

And it didn't look as scary as TAR1's bungee/swing where they dropped off what looked like a very bare bones wooden platform instead of this slick looking commercial operation and they tested that one out too.

18 minutes ago, scrb said:

Pretty sure that wasn’t Zurich.  There is a train station right at the airport and they traveled for 3 hours.

Don’t recognize the town they mentioned.

If you mean which village were they in for most of the leg that would be Grindelwald.  They were there in Season 3 with Flo needing her backpack carried for her of course when those Racers had to run the same amount of distance.

For more on the village itself:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grindelwald

Edited by green
38 minutes ago, green said:

If you mean which village were they in for most of the leg that would be Grindelwald.  They were there in Season 3 with Flo needing her backpack carried for her of course when those Racers had to run the same amount of distance.

TAR also went there in season 22. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, green said:

For more on the village itself:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grindelwald

Yes Grindlewald was the first place they were at when they got off the train and did this long run to the clue box.

But the pit stop appears to have been at Meringen.  I guess with helicopters and cars, they covered some distance.  Not real far but not sure if there's a direct road path without ascending and descending.

The steepest funicular is called Gelmerbahn and the reservoir was Gelmersee.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gelmerbahn/@46.6127944,8.3079375,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xece15aab211b8f11!8m2!3d46.6136198!4d8.3088398

Train ride from Zurich airport to Grindlewald is more like 4-5 hours and requires a few train changes.  They'd have gone through some spectacular scenery.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3