Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E07: Living Fearlessly

• Start Topic

Man, I would love to visit Switzerland! It looks beautiful and I loved all the tasks. 

I don’t understand the argument between the BB teams. I have trouble understanding people when they are all talking at once. Why were Vic and Nic so mad at the Reilly sisters?

• Love 16

With the cutoff for Emmy consideration being 5/31, I think it's safe to say that last week was 2 hours to ensure this episode aired before 5/31. With all the tasks and scenery, it has to be the most likely episode to be submitted.

I thought it was a very good episode, although I could do without the u-turn drama. Nice to see self-driving make a return! Hopefully that continues throughout Europe.

I do have a complaint with how the NEL's have been placed though. Legs 3, 5, and 7 is really early. Today should be the last one barring any surprises. I prefer when they are stacked closer to the end of the race. Reward the teams that make it farther with a chance to stay in. 

• Love 11

I was surprisingly glad that this was a non-elimination.  I'm not sure if it's because I want Victor and Nicole to stay, or because I really want Rachel and her sister gone gone gone.

Kumbaya Colin on the train was just a little extra.  Gather in a circle and hold hands?  Really?  He and Christie are still fierce competitors, but I had to roll my eyes at that train business.

It's just too bad Rachel and her sister can't be U-turned twice in the same leg.  Then maybe we'd finally be rid of them.

• Love 24
(edited)

I'm glad Nicole and Victor were safe. I was sort of liking Rachel but I don't care for her lying. All her gab about the Amazing Race being fun and good, etc., yet she sees no need to be fun and good while racing. I felt bad for Nicole crying at the end. It was stress crying.

Exciting to see Switzerland since I'm going there next month. Maybe the next leg will be in Geneva!

Though I did like Rachel a little during the hand-holding scene on the train when she looked at the camera and rolled her eyes.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 11

Okay, I’m confused. The other teams were talking about u-turning Nicole and Victor and Rachel & Elissa just told Nicole & Victor that, right? If so, why were Nicole & Victor mad at them? They were in BB alliance, right? That said, the scenery was beautiful tonight. That’s why I love TAR.

• Love 3
(edited)

It just feels like the Reilly sisters (or really Rachel) are playing this season like it's a game of Big Brother where that kind of stuff is part of the game.  Nicole isn't always my favorite person as I think she can have a tendency to play the victim, but from what I've heard from her recently I do think she also deals with a lot of anxiety and a lot of her crying seems like it's anxiety/stress.  She's a walking stress ball.

I don't think there was necessarily anything wrong with the Reilly sisters maybe trying to warn Nic/Vic people might be gunning for them if it was indeed coming from a place of helping, but also what was the point?  I understand why it would come off like unnecessary stirring the pot, because even if true what could they do about it?  What good does it do Nic/Vic to know?  If people get to the u-turn before them, there is nothing they can do about it.  If this were Big Brother, or even Survivor, then than kind of info can be necessary but it's useless on the race.  

Edited by spanana
  • Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, Runningwild said:

I don’t understand the argument between the BB teams. I have trouble understanding people when they are all talking at once. Why were Vic and Nic so mad at the Reilly sisters?

I didn't get it either and to be honest, I eventually just tuned out. Far as I can tell, it just seemed like Nicole and Victor didn't believe the Reilly sisters about Team Fun wanting to U-Turn them and thought they were just trying to stir the pot and cause drama.

Of course, the irony is that they were telling the truth. In any case, Nicole and Victor went to Team Fun and asked them about what the Reilly sisters said, which I assume they of course denied and so the Reilly sisters, or well more so Rachel decided that Nicole and Victor themselves were being snakes and so this whole back and forth drama started between them. 

I cracked up at Korey yelling out "nice ass" to Colin and Tyler telling him that "yes it was pretty but keep his eyes on the road". I thought it was interesting that they left in the instructor guy asking Tyler if he and Korey were together. Tyler's quick "no" was funny. Personally I think Tyler and Korey work so well because they've always just been friends. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 20

Okay, I’m confused. The other teams were talking about u-turning Nicole and Victor and Rachel & Elissa just told Nicole & Victor that, right? If so, why were Nicole & Victor mad at them? They were in BB alliance, right? That said, the scenery was beautiful tonight. That’s why I love TAR.

• Love 10

I think Nicole and Victor got upset because they wanted to verify what they heard with Team Fun and the Reilly sisters got on them about not trusting them. That's what the argument on the train seemed to be and the Reilly sisters weren't telling the truth (they said their backs were turned, but that's what they overheard, and other teams were there). I think Victor got on that something wasn't fully accurate and so was telling them he wasn't sure to believe what they were saying. Rachel then said some mean personal things about them playing the victim and Nicole's brand being at stake. 

At the mat they said the stress of possibly being u-turned made them under-perform. Rachel started getting defensive and telling them they were playing the victim. At that point I think the day caught up to Nicole and she started crying.

• Love 9

I think the end of the leg is a metaphor for this season:

1. The four returning TAR teams finish in the top four.
  2. Teams 2-4 had a love-in on the mat.
  3. The episode ends with the remaining Big Brother teams bickering, while Chris & Bret look on and try not to look bemused.

I'm dreading the Reilly Sisters lucking into the finale or -- *shudder* -- winning. I mean, the season has been fun. Aside from Art & JJ getting eliminated (thanks to Art's mortal nemesis: a hill), it's been a good time if you're like me, hoping for the TAR teams to win leg after leg. But the thought of a BB team winning -- even if it's the more inoffensive Nicole & Victor -- for the second season in a row is my dark place.

Phil rappelling like a boss. You think Probst would try that? Yeah, right.

Chill Colin is still a little much. The sniper roll was sweet, though. Never thought I'd be okay with them winning TAR. Last time, they had the results, but their attitudes were crap.

• Love 10

It's a rare day that I don't enjoy a TAR episode, but I wasn't feeling this one.

In BIG BROTHER and SURVIVOR, I love the kind of squabbling you on the train and at the mat, but it feels so out of place on THE AMAZING RACEEE that it's jarring.

So is this whole need "to work with another team" I can't remember that far back to when that started creeping in, but to me, it goes against the grain of you know a.. raaaaaaaaaaace!

Between Sebastian and Colin, I thought that Tyler was extra creepy tonight and felt Sebastian would have been justified bitch slapping him with a #metoo hashtag. I guess its suppose to be funny if Tyler does it but if another racer spent that much time ogling and commenting on say a Fern or one of the beautiful greeters it would be out of bounds. Double standard.

A couple of things I have missed are legs where due to a screw-up Phil says...you are the third team to arrive and but won't let them check in until they go back and unscrew the pooch with whatever they did wrong.

Or I'd like to return to a Fast Forward on every leg and watch as someone falls behind as they went for it, but it was already taken.

The only thing tonight that felt like classic TAR was The Reilly's and Survivor and Nicole and her man getting lost. I especially like the "follow that car as we drive blindly in the wrong direction.

That really was the best part of the show tonight and that was at the end!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, North of Eden said:

It's a rare day that I don't enjoy a TAR episode, but I wasn't feeling this one.

In BIG BROTHER and SURVIVOR, I love the kind of squabbling you on the train and at the mat, but it feels so out of place on THE AMAZING RACEEE that it's jarring.

So is this whole need "to work with another team" I can't remember that far back to when that started creeping in, but to me, it goes against the grain of you know a.. raaaaaaaaaaace!

Between Sebastian and Colin, I thought that Tyler was extra creepy tonight and felt Sebastian would have been justified bitch slapping him with a #metoo hashtag. I guess its suppose to be funny if Tyler does it but if another racer spent that much time ogling and commenting on say a Fern or one of the beautiful greeters it would be out of bounds. Double standard.

A couple of things I have missed are legs where due to a screw-up Phil says...you are the third team to arrive and but won't let them check in until they go back and unscrew the pooch with whatever they did wrong.

Or I'd like to return to a Fast Forward on every leg and watch as someone falls behind as they went for it, but it was already taken.

The only thing tonight that felt like classic TAR was The Reilly's and Survivor and Nicole and her man getting lost. I especially like the "follow that car as we drive blindly in the wrong direction.

That really was the best part of the show tonight and that was at the end!

I thought of #MeToo also. If had been two guys talking about a woman guide it would have burn them at the stake. LOL!!!

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

Don't agree with this at all. Christie started things tonight ogling her helicopter pilot. Korey picked Sebastian and they both commented on him during their task. Then it was Korey who commented on Colin's ass, not Tyler. I think the double standard comes in when women are allowed to ogle men in this way but not other men.

• Love 14
52 minutes ago, Runningwild said:

Man, I would love to visit Switzerland! It looks beautiful and I loved all the tasks. 

There are 5 Girl Guide/Scout chalets over the world and one of them is in Switzerland.  I was lucky enough to visit as a Girl Guide with a group when I was 15 and I still remember so many details to this day.  It was an awesome experience and I would love to go back one day.

Didn't quite get the drama at the end but so far I like Vic & Nic (I have never seen BB at all) and I'm so over the Reilly sisters - they can leave anytime now.  Jumping off that cliff would have been terrifying - I might have asked the guy to push me off if I had to do it.

I think that this is it for the non-elims?

• Love 6

Rachel:  Fake Face, Fake Breasts, Fake Nails, Ugly Crier, Bad Looser. Did I leave anything out?  Oh, I almost forgot, well passed her sell by date.  Can you tell I’m sick and tired of Rachel?  

Switzerland is absolutely beautiful.  That gorge swing was absolutely amazing. I’m glad Nicole over came her fear. Thankfully they were able to complete the harder road block.  Getting lost is a bummer but at least it was a NEL. 

It looks like Ford dropped their sponsorship of TAR for the teams are driving VW’s.  They even got automatic transmissions.

• Love 16
12 minutes ago, QuantumMechanic said:

JHFC.

Every time I had to hear those horrible Reilly sisters gibbering away like idiots I found myself yelling STAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHP!! at the screen.

I actually find Elissa more annoying. Her voice fry is off the charts. Ugh! Although, Rachel is the bigger baby and cries too much. That’s why the other teams hate them so much. 

• Love 10
(edited)

My daughter and I literally just finished watching (rewatching for me) season 3, so the return to race uphill through Grindelwald, and the trip to the gorge, made us ecstatic! O' brother, where art thou? I love that season, minus the racer who was even more whiny than Rachel.

I was hoping the hype of her tying the race record was foreshadowing her demise tonight. How can I continue to enjoy a show that may feature her as the contestant who ran the most legs?! Yuck. 

This leg was fun! I want to do every single task shown. Becca was cracking me up with her enthusiasm, which I felt was 100% legit tonight. 

Edited by Squirrely
Typo
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, bmoore4026 said:

Well, it was a moot point on coming in last, wasn't it?

Means we're still stuck with the queens of evil.

A NEL?  Power just came back.  Went down at 7:45.  grrr

39 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

34 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Don't agree with this at all. Christie started things tonight ogling her helicopter pilot. Korey picked Sebastian and they both commented on him during their task. Then it was Korey who commented on Colin's ass, not Tyler. I think the double standard comes in when women are allowed to ogle men in this way but not other men.

I disagree, too. Maybe I'm wrong and I'll see differently on re-watch, but I don't remember being shown either Tyler or Korey making any suggestive comments to Sebastian himself, I thought it was all talking head commentary or voice overs. I do remember seeing Tyler panting a couple times, but I felt like it probably didn't even have anything to do with Sebastian, and it was just the editors matching unrelated reaction shots with their voice overs. And dgpolo already mentioned that it was Korey who yelled out nice ass to Colin, which I didn't think was creepy since they are friends. But of course, YMMV.

I'm with others kind of scratching their heads over another non-elimination already. This has got to be the last one, right? I totally didn't expect another one until at least the final 5.

• Love 7

I officially dislike the Reilly sisters.  They were all fake sweet to Nicole and Victor at the matt, trying to pretend they'd been loyal to them, until they found out it was a non-elimination leg.  Then the sour looks came out!  Or, as my mom used to say, they looked like they bit into a bad dill pickle.  

Kumbayah Kolin is getting on my last nerve.  

• Love 14
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

I disagree, too. Maybe I'm wrong and I'll see differently on re-watch, but I don't remember being shown either Tyler or Korey making any suggestive comments to Sebastian himself, I thought it was all talking head commentary or voice overs.

It was. We never saw Tyler or Korey saying anything disrespectful or suggestive to Sebastian. Their comments were solely during their talking head commentary. But I will say that as I was watching, I knew there would be the inevitable, "if it was a man saying that about a woman, etc."

And to that I would say the same thing. If one of the male racers in their talking head simply talked about how hot a female guide/instructor was, I would not be screaming #MeToo and sexual harassment because nothing was said to her.

And on top of that, in my opinion, Tyler and Korey didn't say anything disrespectful or creepy. They simply joked about him being hot and how of course they picked him. But I didn't think it was meant to be viewed as anything but light-hearted fun.

And again, it was, in what we were shown, never said to Sebastian. I think it's great that we're all becoming more aware and sensitive to sexual harassment and the like but it's still okay for someone to think someone is hot without that meaning they're being creepy or harassing them. And yes, we saw married Christie being all giggly and giving flirty eyes towards her flight instructor and I didn't think that was a big deal either. 

, then why not just tell them the whole truth--that Colin/Christie and the Afghanimals were also part of the conversation? 

Not sure if that's how you meant it but Colin/Christie were not part of the Team Fun/Afghanimals/Reilly Sisters conversation. Colin and Christie were in fact that the first team they were all agreeing should be U-Turned and then they said Victor/Nicole as well. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 11

8 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

And on top of that, in my opinion, Tyler and Korey didn't say anything disrespectful or creepy. They simply joked about him being hot and how of course they picked him. But I didn't think it was meant to be viewed as anything but light-hearted fun.

You were right to predict "if it were a man about a woman" because its 100% correct. If say Brett and his partner were making "hot" comments about some beautiful woman instructor they'd be being crucified for it right now...oh but because its Tyler and Korey somehow it's "just light hearted fun". Maybe one comment I can buy that but the entire time Sebastian was  on screen we got Team Camera Mug's commentary on him.  No way to spin this that it's not some type of double standard. The editors of this episode are partly to blame for allowing  the comments to exceed their shelf life.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, spanana said:

Nicole isn't always my favorite person as I think she can have a tendency to play the victim, but from what I've heard from her recently I do think she also deals with a lot of anxiety and a lot of her crying seems like it's anxiety/stress.  She's a walking stress ball.

Yeah, ER nurse was a brilliant career choice for her, wasn't it? While we're at it, how can a fireman be afraid of heights?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, eel21788 said:

Yeah, ER nurse was a brilliant career choice for her, wasn't it? While we're at it, how can a fireman be afraid of heights?

Bret is a cop if that’s who you’re thinking is a fireman.

• Love 1
(edited)

Rachel is my least favorite contestant ever on this show. I loathe BB and Survivor so I wasn't happy about this year's theme but surprisingly all BB/Survivor other teams were not annoying but Rachel is the worst. She's whinny, absurdly overconfident for reasons I can't fathom and then we add in her sister who looks like a blowup doll version of Rachel and I am in a living hell. 

The other BB team didn't start questioning the worst team ever until Rachel started changing her story and embellishing it. When Zac started questioning her inconsistencies in the stories she was telling, that's when Rachel attacked Nic. Even Rachel's own sister had to tell her to stop being such an asshole .

And angry, competitive Colin was way more fun to watch. This guy is just a bit much.

I am hoping for Team Fun to win but I'll be happy with anyone but the assholes, Rachel and sister.

Edited by pivot
  • LOL 2
  • Love 15
18 minutes ago, pivot said:

Rachel is my least favorite contestant ever on this show. I loathe BB and Survivor so I wasn't happy about this year's theme but surprisingly all BB/Survivor other teams were not annoying but Rachel is the worst. She's whinny, absurdly overconfident for reasons I can't fathom and then we add in her sister who looks like a blowup doll version of Rachel and I am in a living hell. 

The other BB team didn't start questioning the worst team ever until Rachel started changing her story and embellishing it. When Zac started questioning her inconsistencies in the stories she was telling, that's when Rachel attacked Nic. Even Rachel's own sister had to tell her to stop being such an asshole .

And angry, competitive Colin was way more fun to watch. This guy is just a bit much.

I am hoping for Team Fun to win but I'll be happy with anyone but the assholes, Rachel and sister.

Zac? Do you mean Victor?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ByaNose said:

Zac? Do you mean Victor?

I guess I do. I just binged watched this season and I still didn't get his name right. Well, whatever his name is, I like him because he had Rachel's number and is pissed her off.

• Love 8
Just now, pivot said:

I guess I do. I just binged watched this season and I still didn't get his name right. Well, whatever his name is, I like him because he had Rachel's number and is pissed her off.

Yes, Victor likes to stay out of drama which is funny because he’s on a reality show and played BB. 

• Love 4

Of COURSE Colin would get out of the heli and pretend to be a sniper.

That was insanely endearing. I loved it and each leg I fall more in love with he and Christie circa 2018 or whatever year this was filmed. 

Every time Rachel and Elissa talk over each other and everyone around them I want them banished to the farthest ends of the earth without access to social media or cameras for the foreseeable future.

• Love 16

That whole confrontation on the mat was painful to watch, and both teams looked bad, although Vic & Nic came off better than the Reilly sisters.  If I were their parent, I’d be questioning where I went wrong.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I thought of #MeToo also. If had been two guys talking about a woman guide it would have burn them at the stake. LOL!!!

Apparently the Amazing Race editors believe the rules don't apply to gay males.   I guess when they do it, it's funny.  Tyler and Corey were openly sexualizing other people in the race, with the tacit approval of the show's editors.   Totally out of line and a glaring double standard.

I called out Project Runway for exactly this same kind of behavior two weeks ago, except in that case it was both women and men sexualizing the male models they were working with.

I'm happy Rachel and Elissa were not eliminated.  Laughed at Elissa's "lash-cam" view.  Elissa did not seem very pleased when Nicole and Jon Snow were handed a reprieve.  If looks could kill.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 8
(edited)

Omg this was one of those legs that make me loooove TAR and be ridiculously jealous of these teams. Jumping into a gorge, rappelling, going down a glacial river, ziplining... that's my idea of an excellent time!

ETA: Not the running part though, I hate running. I don't run unless I'm being chased and even then, I'd probably give up.

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4

While this leg was gorgeous, it was also very boring.

None of the tasks had any real potential to reorder people.

Really, the only opportunity for reordering was the decision on which detour to take.  But each detour (especially "Water Down") had low to no chance of reordering the teams that went to it.

• Love 8

I really enjoyed this episode. Mainly, I think, because it was so gorgeous. And the challenges were exciting to watch. Throw in a mental challenge (which everyone aced, first time—impressive!) and a good old Who’s More Lost fakeout, and it reminded me of episodes of yore. Aside from the sniping, that is. But I actually found much of that hilarious, it was so stupid.

4 hours ago, Runningwild said:

Why were Vic and Nic so mad at the Reilly sisters?

3 hours ago, sphoebus31 said:

I think Rachel was trying to target Team Fun via Nicole and Victor, under the guise of being helpful to Nicole and Victor.  

That was my understanding as well. BB Sisters were trying to manipulate BB Couple into U-turning Team Fun, so they wouldn’t have to do it themselves and look like the bad guys. When BB Couple questioned their ever-changing story, BB Sisters got defensive because how dare they question their motives when they were only trying to help! (And, in the mode of all good cartoon villains, they started to believe their own story.) BB Couple got mad because they didn’t like being taken for fools.

I had to laugh at Phil, waiting patiently to check everyone in while all the tears and drama played out. And the Swiss greeter was like, Yep. Americans.

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Kumbaya Colin on the train was just a little extra.  Gather in a circle and hold hands?  Really?  He and Christie are still fierce competitors, but I had to roll my eyes at that train business.

I’m still waiting for him to snap. There’s got to be a hard ball of rage coiled up in there, creaky and stiff, but just biding its time until the right unsuspecting yak comes along.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
(edited)
5 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

think it's safe to say that last week was 2 hours to ensure this episode aired before 5/31. With all the tasks and scenery, it has to be the most likely episode to be submitted.

It wouldn’t have mattered as long as a majority of episodes aired before the 31st the entire season can be submitted regardless if that specific episode airs after the 31st if a majority of episodes don’t air before the 31st none are eligible for this year.

etb: there are conflicting reports over how many episodes there are so maybe it mattered if there are more than 12.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1