Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Severed Ties Part 1

• Start Topic

On 5/30/2019 at 12:35 PM, Kid said:

She does indeed deserve everything he does.  I feel no sympathy for Nicole either as my sympathy is reserved for May.

She fit????? 

Impossibru. Have you seen that little window with the AC attached, during the packing conversation with Thomas and Tyler sitting on the bed? There is no way Nicole went out that way. 

Unless she Kool-aid man her way out of there. 

Oooh yeah!

• LOL 14
31 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Impossibru. Have you seen that little window with the AC attached, during the packing conversation with Thomas and Tyler sitting on the bed? There is no way Nicole went out that way. 

Unless she Kool-aid man her way out of there. 

Oooh yeah!

That visual is hilarious because Nicole has the shape for it so I could see it happening.

It's not that she is big, it's just how her weight is distributed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, RealReality said:

Yeah, it would be harder for me to side with her on that one.  Seattle has a very vibrant and diverse scene.  I don't think it's conservative at all.  Yes, it rains a lot, but when the weather is nice you couldn't find a more beautiful place.  It's also away from Russ's family.

Seattle may be diverse, but not that many Latinos there...not that many black people either.  It's a nice city though.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

That visual is hilarious because Nicole has the shape for it so I could see it happening.

It's not that she is big, it's just how her weight is distributed.

And she is red-faced like he is.

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Seattle may be diverse, but not that many Latinos there...not that many black people either.  It's a nice city though.

When we visited my sister, we counted at least 21 black people, and we were in the suburbs.  It seemed like a reasonable number. 

And to me, diversity doesn't mean it has to be an exact ratio, I think you gotta have some different looking people and a variety of viewpoints, a feeling of inclusivity and a true curiousity and interest in different cultures. 

We went to Nebraska and saw a few people who weren't white, but I didn't get that feeling of diversity and inclusion.  Though everyone was very, very polite.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Nitpicky question but at age 5, doesn't May need her own seat on the plane (and thus a second, $700 plane ticket)?

Good question! I typed in 1 adult and 1 5 yr old child into Expedia and that’s what I came up with. Of course since this was fairly last minute - I’m sure it cost more.😜

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Jennifersdc said:

Good question! I typed in 1 adult and 1 5 yr old child into Expedia and that’s what I came up with. 

I’ve been told that any kid over the age of two needs to have his/her own seat.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I’ve been told that any kid over the age of two needs to have his/her own seat.

This. And even when they fly as a lap child, you are still on the hook for the taxes and fees. So 10 years ago, I was paying $300 for my child to sit on my lap when flying to Europe. 🙄

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 5/31/2019 at 10:20 AM, Elizzikra said:

Nitpicky question but at age 5, doesn't May need her own seat on the plane (and thus a second, $700 plane ticket)?

In general:

Children under the age of two may sit on an adults lap free when flying within the U.S.. 

For international travel, children under the age of two are charged 10% of the adult fare.

Children age two and over pay full fare, both domestically and internationally.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
On 5/31/2019 at 5:33 PM, iwasish said:

I don’t think Pao gives a shit about there being black people or even Latino people where she lives. She wants the weather in Miami (so she can walk around and be espicy  and half naked) and the nightlife ( so she can dance and be espicy and half naked). Plus she can get Juan to visit Miami, other places not so much. 

Can't fault her for that.  I'd prefer the weather in Miami and the night life to the weather and night life in Oklahoma too.

Also 21 black people isn't that great a number.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Can't fault her for that.  I'd prefer the weather in Miami and the night life to the weather and night life in Oklahoma too.

Also 21 black people isn't that great a number.

For an area that small, it was a sizeable number.  And that wasn't a representation of all minorities in the area, just how many black people there were. 

I live in northern California, an area I think is very diverse and it's about the same, unless I'm going to Oakland.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, RealReality said:

For an area that small, it was a sizeable number.  And that wasn't a representation of all minorities in the area, just how many black people there were. 

I live in northern California, an area I think is very diverse and it's about the same, unless I'm going to Oakland.

The thing is, people of color are not created equal.  I can't stand it when folks say, "there are plenty of people of color here, the area is diverse."  So I'll ask, "how many black people are there," and then I get crickets.  Maybe that's how Pao feels.

• Love 6

The thing is, people of color are not created equal.  I can't stand it when folks say, "there are plenty of people of color here, the area is diverse."  So I'll ask, "how many black people are there," and then I get crickets.  Maybe that's how Pao feels.

To me a diverse area doesn't mean a ton of black people because that isn't diversity, that's just either a lot if black people or a lot of black people and lot of white people.  Two races in an area isn't true diversity, to me, at all.  

I'm not sure what "people of color aren't created equal" means for the purpose of this conversation, because I think it could mean a lot of things, some of which I could understand and some which I might not agree with.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Hypothetically . . .

If someone moved to a foreign country where the local culture was even more modest than typical public US dress codes (let's use a Muslim culture AS AN EXAMPLE), shouldn't that one person feel obliged to respect their customs and adjust THEIR public dress and behavior patterns, rather than expecting an entire culture to grant blanket acceptance to that one person?

Even on shows like The Amazing Race, racers are expected to dress and comport themselves appropriately for the places they visit.  

If Pao wants to dress "sexy" and pose for nude photos IN HER OWN HOME, and Russ is okay with it - that's THEIR choice.  But to make other people uncomfortable by wandering around their home (as a guest) in inappropriate clothing . . . nope.

I'm a big city girl who married into a conservative small town family (North Platte, Nebraska makes Oklahoma City look like Sodom).  My brother-in-law once took my husband aside and told him that I should not be showing up at the breakfast table in my nightgown.  His description of nightgown?  A full-length cotton maxi dress, buttoned up to the neck, with sleeves to the elbow.  It was not something see-through, and I was wearing a bra.  (It looked like something Ma would wear on Little House on the Prairie.)  We kind of thought it was weird that anyone would be offended by that, but - as guests - I made sure that I never wore it in front of them again.

Acceptance is a two-way street.  Pao lives on One Way Boulevard.

Love this comment x 1,000,000! 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Hypothetically . . .

If someone moved to a foreign country where the local culture was even more modest than typical public US dress codes (let's use a Muslim culture AS AN EXAMPLE), shouldn't that one person feel obliged to respect their customs and adjust THEIR public dress and behavior patterns, rather than expecting an entire culture to grant blanket acceptance to that one person?

Even on shows like The Amazing Race, racers are expected to dress and comport themselves appropriately for the places they visit.  

If Pao wants to dress "sexy" and pose for nude photos IN HER OWN HOME, and Russ is okay with it - that's THEIR choice.  But to make other people uncomfortable by wandering around their home (as a guest) in inappropriate clothing . . . nope.

I'm a big city girl who married into a conservative small town family (North Platte, Nebraska makes Oklahoma City look like Sodom).  My brother-in-law once took my husband aside and told him that I should not be showing up at the breakfast table in my nightgown.  His description of nightgown?  A full-length cotton maxi dress, buttoned up to the neck, with sleeves to the elbow.  It was not something see-through, and I was wearing a bra.  (It looked like something Ma would wear on Little House on the Prairie.)  We kind of thought it was weird that anyone would be offended by that, but - as guests - I made sure that I never wore it in front of them again.

Exactly, there are many families, not just in Oklahoma or “conservative states” where family members would not dream of coming to the breakfast table unless they were fully dressed, hair combed and teeth brushed. And I really can’t believe that Pao was that offended by being asked to change. Once again it’s just an excuse to claim non ass-ceptance by the family. No matter what they say or do it won’t be enough for Pao. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Hypothetically . . .

Now I'm curious. If a Little House on the Prairie inspired dress is deemed offensive...what is appropriate breakfast attire in North Platte, Nebraska?

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Now I'm curious. If a Little House on the Prairie inspired dress is deemed offensive...what is appropriate breakfast attire in North Platte, Nebraska?

I posed your question to my husband, who was born and raised there.  His first response was, "bib overalls and boots so you can get up from the breakfast table and go milk the cows."  LOL.

In reality, it's more likely anything that you would wear out in public.  Apparently, my BIL had never seen a woman in a maxi-dress at the huge North Platte mall, and the Walmart hadn't been built yet.  Therefore, he apparently assumed it was my nightgown.  (This was in the late 1960s.)

• LOL 13
  • Love 2

family members would not dream of coming to the breakfast table unless they were fully dressed, hair combed and teeth brushed.

I solve this problem by sleeping through breakfast.

I posed your question to my husband, who was born and raised there.  His first response was, "bib overalls and boots so you can get up from the breakfast table and go milk the cows."  LOL.

I thought that you had to milk the cows before breakfast so their teats don't explode or something....

• LOL 16
  • Love 4
(edited)

No one is using that treadmill. I am surprised there is not laundry on it.

I am really tired of hear Nicole's mom say how disappointed in Azan she is....Um, you should be disappointed in your daughter.

Edited by usernameG
More stuff
  • Love 21

Tonights NEW episode is 3 hours 5 min. Really? With TLC's expertise in gaslighting, I wonder.

Anyone believe its really new footage?

I'm guessing old filler stuff, an hour of commercials, and lots of the disturbing mom/daughter/bff promos.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, itsadryheat said:

Tonights NEW episode is 3 hours 5 min. Really? With TLC's expertise in gaslighting, I wonder.

I'm guessing old filler stuff, an hour of commercials, and lots of the disturbing mom/daughter/bff promos.

I'm guessing an hour of HEA, then an hour of What Now, then a repeat of Pillow Talk.

(edited)
1 hour ago, usernameG said:

I am really tired of hear Nicole's mom say how disappointed in Azan she is....Um, you should be disappointed in your daughter.

I think she could argue that sending multiple pictures of the treadmill to azan technically counts as using it 🤣

Edited by RealReality
  • LOL 9
3 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

Pao's attitude about her breakfast attire will change soon enough.

Let one of her good espicy girlfriends come to stay and visit the baby. Let that girlfriend come bouncing down the stairs in what Pao displayed for her in-laws in front of Ross. I'm positive her head would explode and she'll be demanding that friend cover up and show some  respect in her home.

Especially if Russ is getting an eyeful of something espicy, and Pao is tired, covered in spit up and breast milk stains. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 5

Tolerance works both ways and I don’t see much of it from Pao. I’m not sure why it’s so off putting for her to dress more demurely in her MIL’s home. We criticize Nicole for not giving a crap about Azan’s aunts wishes. I think Pao has already made up her mind about Russ’s family before she met them. I did think her outfit was fine when she had the one on one with his mother but her attitude wasn’t. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, itsadryheat said:

Maybe they are going to air Severed Ties Part 1, which was supposed to be aired last week (I watched on TLC app after being alerted by a poster here). And hopefully they’ll show Part 2 as well tonight. I, for one, am dying to find out where Nicole is hiding. Why do I get an image of an ostrich with its head in the sand, the rest of its body fully exposed? Because Nicole hiding? Ummm, not so easy.

• LOL 4
7 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

We criticize Nicole for not giving a crap about Azan’s aunts wishes. I think Pao has already made up her mind about Russ’s family before she met them. I did think her outfit was fine when she had the one on one with his mother but her attitude wasn’t. 

In Azan's aunts case I thought it was more religious/cultural.  I also didn't feel Azan's aunts were bigoted.  

For me, I got a bigoted vibe from Russ's family, like the type who refer to black people as "Negroes."

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Neurochick said:

For me, I got a bigoted vibe from Russ's family, like the type who refer to black people as "Negroes."

I prefer to give Russ’s family the benefit of the doubt. They might not know many people from other cultures and backgrounds. When I went to college, I met people who lived in middle America and had never met a Jewish person. I am a recovering New Yorker and found it surprising but they were just ignorant, not racist.

• Love 17
(edited)
1 minute ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I am a recovering New Yorker and found it surprising but they were just ignorant, not racist.

Aren't racists ignorant?

And what is a "recovering New Yorker?"

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I honestly think if she was bigoted she would NOT have made the effort to reach out to other Latina women.  I think she was genuinely trying to find out if she was the one who had made the faux pas.

2 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Aren't racists ignorant?

Ignorance by itself it NOT racist - it's just lack of exposure to something.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, DaphneCat said:

Ignorance by itself it NOT racist - it's just lack of exposure to something.

My point was that racism is based on ignorance.

Sometimes if a person feels uncomfortable around others, it's not about what they say to you, it's a vibe.  

About two weeks ago, I saw a premiere of the Netflix series "When They See Us" about the wrongly accused Central Park Five.  Now, none of the white detectives used the "n" word, but the bigotry was oozing off them in the way they treated the PARENTS of the boys, no respect, look down on them, etc.

• Love 8

I think no matter the race, Russ’s mom would frown upon similar attire that was blatantly immodest.  She really mishandled the breakfast scene in the beginning but I think she’s tried since then. Maybe she is bigoted, but I don’t know enough to say for sure. 

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Someone who decided that the noise, the traffic, and the high taxes (and having to deal with the likes of Ashley and her friends) were detrimental to one’s health and well-being. But I’m old, so.......

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Someone who decided that the noise, the traffic, and the high taxes (and having to deal with the likes of Ashley and her friends) were detrimental to one’s health and well-being. But I’m old, so.......

I am too, and I still live here, so there is that.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't think we've seen enough of Roose's family to determine if they are racist or not.  They aren't not accepting of Pao, they just wanted her to keep her titties covered up in their home.  I'm sure Roose told her they were conservative in dress and behavior.  Maybe that was the most conservative thing she owned????  I seem to remember a Pao talking head on that first season about how she didn't care what they wanted and was going to wear what she wanted to breakfast.  Maybe there was more going on off camera surrounding that scene, but on the show it looked like she was pushing the envelope to get her way.  At their wedding, Roose's mom cried and cried because she thought Pao looked lovely and she thought it all came together so beautifully so they would be happy.  I never thought his family was unaccepting or hateful towards her personally or because of her nationality; they just didn't want to see her half naked in the kitchen and they disapproved of her publishing nudie photos.

Edited by doyouevengohere
  • Love 21
3 hours ago, Gobi said:

I'm guessing an hour of HEA, then an hour of What Now, then a repeat of Pillow Talk.

According to John Yates there is a live show tonight.  Maybe the woman with the small chair.

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, usernameG said:

I had exactly the same thought.

I'm wondering if mom and/or dad is paying for the trailer so the siblings don't have to live at one of their homes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Aren't racists ignorant?

All racists are ignorant, not all ignorant people are racist.

No matter what, mother Russ and pao are never going to be as close as they would be if pao was a lilly white christian suburban woman who bought her clothes from the local Penney's......or if Russ's mom was an older latin American woman who had lived more of a bohemian life.

They should not live under each other's noses or be too close.  But I don't see why they can't live in the same state.

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Tolerance works both ways and I don’t see much of it from Pao. I’m not sure why it’s so off putting for her to dress more demurely in her MIL’s home. We criticize Nicole for not giving a crap about Azan’s aunts wishes. I think Pao has already made up her mind about Russ’s family before she met them. I did think her outfit was fine when she had the one on one with his mother but her attitude wasn’t. 

And the attitude was deliberate. Russ needs to sit in on these talks and he’ll get a better picture  of what’s going on. I think his mom is trying, but Pao will not give an inch. Then she plays to Russ like the mom isn’t being sincere in trying to mend things. 

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, iwasish said:

And the attitude was deliberate. Russ needs to sit in on these talks and he’ll get a better picture  of what’s going on. I think his mom is trying, but Pao will not give an inch. Then she plays to Russ like the mom isn’t being sincere in trying to mend things. 

And then Russ is going to do what, put his foot down?  Come on now.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, RealReality said:

And then Russ is going to do what, put his foot down?  Come on now.

I don’t think Pao will act the same if Russ is there. She’ll try to come across as being amenable to working on the relationship with his folks. Then she may have to concede to stay in OK for a bit after the baby is born. I can see Russ then taking that job in the hope that things will settle down.

• Love 1
On 5/31/2019 at 8:21 AM, lids said:

The only way they could have made the Nicole storyline better is if production had caught her escaping by hopping a fence ala’ Colton, The Bachelor. 

Of course, Colton jumped a fence with ease and Nicole’s jump would have been something like:

corgi-trying-and-failing-to-jump-over-a-

Missed opportunity for some quality gifs, TLC.

Hey there, as a Mother of Corgis, I take offense!  They can’t help it!

Nicole can!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Aren't racists ignorant?

First, because people have never met someone outside their race/creed makes them neither racist nor ignorant. It's just something new out of their wheelhouse.

And you have obviously never lived in NYC lol! I say that kindly. It's a brutal place. I lived there 25 years.

• Love 3