Type keyword(s) to search

Yesterday (2019)

• Start Topic

On 7/7/2019 at 10:09 PM, methodwriter85 said:

This wasn't as predictable as I thought it would be- the fans were awesome, as was seeing an old John Lennon. (Maybe the implication is that in this universe, John Lennon chose his first wife that he married in 1962 after she became pregnant over his music?) I was also surprised that he doesn't go back to his world. (I'm guessing he switched places with his alternate who had led nearly the same life?)

My guess is that something that happened in the original timeline did not happen in this alternate version. Maybe they never went to Germany and changed thier image. Maybe John's skiffle band for some reason never developed beyond some local band. 

On 7/9/2019 at 10:37 AM, johntfs said:

I was fine with that.  I mean, it's not like any of the three would be in a position to understand or explain it.  Besides, would you really want the movie to take twenty minutes for a subplot about some scientist technobabbling about multiversal wormhole dynamics?

I agree. This element of the movie reminded me of Field of Dreams. The magic isn't explained. Either you're on board and accept it or you question it, require an explanation, and then are confused or annoyed for the rest of the movie.

• Love 4
On 8/24/2019 at 3:53 PM, Scout Finch said:

I will always remember exactly where I was when I heard about Lennon, just like my mom remembers where she was when she heard about Kennedy. It was that monumental.

I was in the basement, playing my guitar, learning how to play Dear Prudence.  My mom called downstairs and told me.  I stopped playing and went up to watch the TV for any news.  It had a huge impact on me.  Now days I really don't even like hearing about it, it was such a terrible thing.  The emotions are still raw nearly 40 years later.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:13 PM, Sarah 103 said:

My guess is that something that happened in the original timeline did not happen in this alternate version. Maybe they never went to Germany and changed thier image. Maybe John's skiffle band for some reason never developed beyond some local band. 

I was thinking that surely John (or Paul, for that matter) would have still written some of those songs.  Maybe they never met.  Did they ever even learn to play guitar even?  I do think it's very unlikely John meets Yoko if he wasn't famous.  I believe her initial interest in him was as a patron.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, rmontro said:

I was thinking that surely John (or Paul, for that matter) would have still written some of those songs.  Maybe they never met.  Did they ever even learn to play guitar even?  I do think it's very unlikely John meets Yoko if he wasn't famous.  I believe her initial interest in him was as a patron.

That theory works for me. If John and Paul never met, then you don't have the songwriter partnership that leads to The Beatles. You are correct about John and Yoko. They met at an art gallery. If John never becomes rich and famous, then he probably does not enter the  trendy art gallery where she was exhibiting some of her work. 

• Love 2

Do Paul, George, and Ringo even exist in the context of the movie?  I rewatched, and it seemed to imply that they don’t, and that Paul was responsible for all the Beatles lyrics. It is also possible that I’m reading far too much into things.

10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Do Paul, George, and Ringo even exist in the context of the movie?  I rewatched, and it seemed to imply that they don’t, and that Paul was responsible for all the Beatles lyrics. It is also possible that I’m reading far too much into things.

There’s nothing in the movie to say they do but all four were originally going to appear.

I just watched this movie, and to be honest I thought it just felt flat. It wasn't a romcom, it wasn't a drama about stolen music or a thriller about changed history. It was just a sort of paean to the music of the Beatles. Which is fine, I guess, but I just felt like there was a more interesting movie, hiding in there.

For starters, we never really saw Jack enjoying his new celebrity status. We didn't see him actually looking like he was living his dream, and revelling in it, then having to contend with the fact that it was on the back of someone else's work. He enjoyed his first gig with Ed Sheeran, then seemed to hate everything that came after.

And Ellie came off looking really bad. She is secretly in love with him for years but never makes a move, then waits until the last possible moment to ask why he never liked her back. Then she immediately decides it's hopeless to even want an answer from him. She acts like Jack going to LA to record an album is a one way trip.

They really shouldn't have cut that scene of him serenading Ana de Armas, because even without a storyline of her being a rival love interest, it serves both of those storylines I mentioned - It shows Jack enjoying the glamour and fame, and it gives Ellie a reason to think there can be no future for them - 'why would he want me when he can draw swoons from gorgeous movie stars?' Also, that was a great scene and a great song.

Having said that, the performances of the cast are charming and I did like the chemistry between Himesh Patel and Lily James. I always love seeing Sanjeev Bhaskar and Meera Syal on screen together, and have done since Goodness Gracious Me, so that was a win.

I really liked the John Lennon 'appearance' (and it took me a while to figure out it was Robbie Carlyle). It was surprisingly poignant, and genuinely made me think about paths not taken - what if he and Paul never met? What if the band broke up before they went to Hamburg? So many choices that could have been different, and could have meant he was still alive today.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 7

I just saw this movie last night. I have to admit it wasn't the best. I found the stuff with an alter-reality fascinating and I was okay with them never explaining what happened or why those are the only three that remember the way it was. It was more smaller stuff. His rise to fame made no sense. Unless years were supposed to go by. It would take a long time to go through that many songs. Kate Mcinnon seemed really out of place. She was just playing her SNL character which didn't fit it with the movie at all.   The part with Ed Shariden (sp) showing up to his house, while funny made no sense either.  They could have had Ed see Jack preform at say a pub or something. And then invite him to tour with him. But it seemed a bit of stretch for him to just contact him out of the blue.

Things I did like: The John twist, which is something I didn't think about. And that the Russian man and the British woman wasn't upset about him using there music and were happy that he was putting the music out there. As neither of them could sing. The little changes such as no Oasis lol was great.  And the last scene where she doesn't know who Harry Potter was made me laugh. Of course I was wearing a HP shirt while watching the movie so would my shirt just suddenly have nothing on it in the movie?

Then you get the ending, where he reveals himself. I was watching the movie with my husband and my parents. We all saw the dreaded end coming and then it came. It basically ruins the whole point of the movie. I get that he felt guilty about using the lyrics but wasn't the point to get the music out there? I also feel like in that scenario he would have to add some things of his own anyway. The Beatles were a band, he is a solo singer with a gatar. So in a way he was always just covering their music and as the other two had said they wanted the music out there and he was the only one that could do it. He was never doing for the money or fame. So I don't get why he would out himself, when there was no benefit. He could have stopped preforming if that was what he wanted, but telling them he didn't write it taints the songs and would stop them from ever being listened too again.  Plus there were many songs he never put out there. I think this ending did really ruin the movie and I wish they picked something else. Even if it ended with him waking up in the hospital to find out that none of it happened. Of course that would also improve the romance story as he could just tell Ellie that he loves her instead of her awkwardly dumping his friend who was a nice guy.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2

Just saw it and I really loved it. I fully expected this was all a coma dream and, he'd wake up. I like that it wasn't that predictable and, went for the AU story. 

As far as why there were no Beatles, I assumed they just never met. I can understand why people would think that at least John and Paul would have still written hit songs but, I like to think The Beatles were amazing because of Lennon and McCartney and George, sorry Ringo you're adorable but, not as talented

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

Finally saw this on HBO, and it was not only better than the previews it was just the movie I needed this week. Himesh Patel was amazing, and I hope he has a great career ahead of him.

I might have hated the ending that things didn't go back to normal, but after this week I realize that's not the point. The message was that we ought to appreciate the things we love to do and watch and listen to because they could be gone without warning.

• Love 8

I watched this today and loved it. I was glad I didn't see it in the theater, because I had remained unspoiled and when he was driving to the house, I thought he was going to see Paul, and when it turned out to be an elderly John, I burst into big sobbing tears. When he told Jack that he needed psychiatric care, I laughed enough to balance that out.

I'm glad it wasn't a coma fantasy, I'm glad that Jack felt conflicted about his stardom and taking credit for the songs, I'm glad the two people who remembered weren't out to take him down, I'm glad for the happy ending. Love this movie.

• Love 11
(edited)

Yeah, not really sharing the outrage that the article is going for, there. Key points being:

‘Richard Curtis wants to buy your film’ .... I’d been at this for five years at that point and figured it would be nice to just cash out and finally move on. So I accepted.”

Also, this makes him come across as a bit of a tit:

“I contacted Universal Publicity and said, ‘Look, I’ve done some research and I don’t think there’s ever been a screenwriter who sold his first screenplay at my age,'” Barth says. “It’s an interesting angle, almost inspirational. I think it’s a great story. But Universal didn’t want it, they kind of had their marching orders — that it was ‘Richard Curtis and Danny Boyle, two great British filmmakers working together at last.’ I understand that in terms of cleaning up the marketing.”

Bottom line, if you don't want to see your work changed by someone else, don't sell it. And if you want to make money in Hollywood, don't agree to play by the Hollywood Accounting rules.

Regarding the original screenplay idea of the songs not making him famous, I don't really get what the hook would have been. What's the narrative? That even with better material, the protagonist still sucks? Not sure any studio is going to pay for the Beatles' back catalogue to tell that story.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Yeah, not really sharing the outrage that the article is going for, there. Key points being:

Also, this makes him come across as a bit of a tit:

Bottom line, if you don't want to see your work changed by someone else, don't sell it. And if you want to make money in Hollywood, don't agree to play by the Hollywood Accounting rules.

Regarding the original screenplay idea of the songs not making him famous, I don't really get what the hook would have been. What's the narrative? That even with better material, the protagonist still sucks? Not sure any studio is going to pay for the Beatles' back catalogue to tell that story.

Yeah its not as uplifting a fable! It's weird, Boyle and Curtis clearly meant this as a love letter to the Beatles, so they're saying their songs are so great, they would be popular no matter who performed them. Yet that would also mean the Beatles themselves as a band weren't that groundbreaking or necessary! Also on the one hand Beatles music is so universally loved the sole supposed author would be considered a genius and become the most celebrated artist of all time. On the other  the music's absence up to now would not change modern pop music nor the world in ANY significant way from our own reality!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
On 5/24/2020 at 4:58 PM, VCRTracking said:

Also on the one hand Beatles music is so universally loved the sole supposed author would be considered a genius and become the most celebrated artist of all time. On the other  the music's absence up to now would not change modern pop music nor the world in ANY significant way from our own reality!

I'll admit when I saw the movie, I did wonder if Beatles' songs released today would have the same impact as when they were originally released.  To me, while some of their music is timeless, I think a number of their songs are very much of their era, meaning I don't think an audience hearing them for the first time today would react to them like audiences did in the 60s.   

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/26/2020 at 5:04 AM, txhorns79 said:

I'll admit when I saw the movie, I did wonder if Beatles' songs released today would have the same impact as when they were originally released.  To me, while some of their music is timeless, I think a number of their songs are very much of their era, meaning I don't think an audience hearing them for the first time today would react to them like audiences did in the 60s.   

I think a lot of the early hits would be dismissed. The more musically and lyrically simplistic stuff like I Wanna Hold Your Hand wouldn't get very far. They certainly wouldn't create the same fever pitch reaction that teens in the 1960s had to music that was so new and exciting. But stuff like Eleanor Rigby and Let It Be would still resonate.

Then again, I wouldn't consider a lot of modern music to be very complex or interesting, either lyrically or musically, and it hasn't stopped people from becoming huge stars. I guess you could argue that the hype comes before the music, and the hype machine worked overdrive for Jack in the movie.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2

The thing about The Beatles as a whole, though, and I speak as a fan, was the time period they were in, too. Many, many a band has claimed them to be a big influence. Today, musical shifts are just part of the fabric of the industry which now seems to value style over substance.

But to think the same group that made the sweet, innocent "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" also would end up crafting "Helter Skelter", and the shift - not just lyrically but stylistically with feedback, etc. - seemed to be something very few were grappling with in that era. So, the group were trailblazers, and I think it's why their influence and overall popularity are still felt today when so many other bands of the era - minus The Rolling Stones - seemed to remain relics of a time long gone.

• Useful 1
On 5/26/2020 at 12:04 AM, txhorns79 said:

In terms of popularity, I think you also have to factor in the boy band-style appeal of 4 cute guys with distinct personalities and modern haircuts. Obviously they were more than that but it played a role.

On 5/24/2020 at 2:35 PM, Danny Franks said:

The hook sounded like it would be exploring what actually triggers fame and success when you remove the variable of songwriting talent. I thought that the writer's description of his screenplay sounded potentially more interesting than what we got, and even though he had sold it it was still shabby to minimize what elements were in the original treatment of the story.

On 5/27/2020 at 11:40 PM, WendyCR72 said:

The thing about The Beatles as a whole, though, and I speak as a fan, was the time period they were in, too. Many, many a band has claimed them to be a big influence.

Yes.  What the Beatles were doing was WILDLY innovative.  And you can't ignore that these songs weren't written in a vacuum.  You needed the Beach Boys pushing them, and vice versa.  As much as I love the Beatles, and they are by far my favorite band, I don't think if the world had never heard of them, and then their music was released (as subpar covers, no less) today, I don't think it would have the impact this movie implied it would.  I'm not detracted from the Beatles.  Not at all.  

That said, I really hated this movie, lol.  I think that's a pretty unpopular opinion, but I really, really didn't like it at all.

• Love 5
On 10/7/2019 at 1:19 PM, Danny Franks said:

I just watched this movie, and to be honest I thought it just felt flat. It wasn't a romcom, it wasn't a drama about stolen music or a thriller about changed history. It was just a sort of paean to the music of the Beatles. Which is fine, I guess, but I just felt like there was a more interesting movie, hiding in there. ...

Having said that, the performances of the cast are charming and I did like the chemistry between Himesh Patel and Lily James.

Totally agree with your first paragraph.  It started with an interesting premise, but did very little with it.  Devolved into a bland romcom.  And here I'll part ways with you, as I felt no romantic chemistry between the two leads.

On 5/29/2020 at 10:04 AM, lasu said:

Yes.  What the Beatles were doing was WILDLY innovative.  And you can't ignore that these songs weren't written in a vacuum.  You needed the Beach Boys pushing them, and vice versa.  As much as I love the Beatles, and they are by far my favorite band, I don't think if the world had never heard of them, and then their music was released (as subpar covers, no less) today, I don't think it would have the impact this movie implied it would.  I'm not detracted from the Beatles.  Not at all.  

That said, I really hated this movie, lol.  I think that's a pretty unpopular opinion, but I really, really didn't like it at all.

Also agree with your first parargraph.  I wouldn't say I hated it, but at the end, I turned to my husband and said "meh."

• Love 1

I saw this movie on HBO a few weeks back, and while it was pleasant enough, I was kinda "meh" about it overall.  I did like the main character's stoner friend, though.

I guess it's because I'm not a Beatles fan, but the premise didn't really resonate with me.  It wasn't a waste of an afternoon, but it didn't really add anything to my life either.

I watched this last week and thought it was a good summer movie with some funny moments and sweet lightness. It doesn't hurt that I enjoy the music of the Beatles (although I did have some thankfully unfounded concerns that I would be annoyed hearing covers of their songs throughout the movie).

I loved the twist that the other two people who knew the truth wanted to thank him, not expose him, but I totally understood why they were so grateful for him bringing the music back. Imagine never being able to hear your favorite songs again! I was really hoping he would get their contact information before they left so he could ask them what else was missing from their new world besides cigarettes and Oasis.

• Love 2
On 5/26/2020 at 12:04 AM, txhorns79 said:

To me, while some of their music is timeless, I think a number of their songs are very much of their era, meaning I don't think an audience hearing them for the first time today would react to them like audiences did in the 60s.   

Impossible to say.  Just like it's impossible to say what the music landscape today would look like if the Beatles hadn't existed.  As for some of their songs being very much of their era, I think a good song is a good song.  It's the weaker songs that are going to sound dated.