Type keyword(s) to search

Yesterday (2019)

• Start Topic

I didn't see a topic for this, so:

I am not even sure it's going to be wide release, but if it plays where I'm at, I'm going. I listened to the Beatles as a kid and this was always my second favorite song. Probably a hokey movie, but I'm okay with that. It sounds fun and light and nostalgic and at least there will be one movie this summer where stuff isn't getting blown up. Win/win.

• Love 6

I'm not sure how I feel about this one.  I'm glad people will be reminded of or introduced to The Beatles music, but the thought of some random person taking credit for writing those songs is making my skin crawl.  I know it's a comedy, but somehow it's just hitting me wrong.  I'm a baby boomer and The Beatles are my childhood and teenage years.  Basically every song instantly conjures a memory.  It's weird because I don't mind covers or reinterpretations.  I might not like them, but it's great if someone wants to try!  I guess it's because listeners would still know the original is out there.

Hopefully I'm wrong and the movie pulls it off.  It would be great to hear the music in a concert setting.

• Love 5
On 5/27/2019 at 10:39 PM, Frost said:

I'm not sure how I feel about this one.  I'm glad people will be reminded of or introduced to The Beatles music, but the thought of some random person taking credit for writing those songs is making my skin crawl.  I know it's a comedy, but somehow it's just hitting me wrong.  I'm a baby boomer and The Beatles are my childhood and teenage years.  Basically every song instantly conjures a memory.  It's weird because I don't mind covers or reinterpretations.  I might not like them, but it's great if someone wants to try!  I guess it's because listeners would still know the original is out there.

Hopefully I'm wrong and the movie pulls it off.  It would be great to hear the music in a concert setting.

I think that's the point-were supposed to be somewhat horrified by what the character is doing. From the trailer though, it seems very respectful ?  Guess we'll see.

On 5/28/2019 at 1:29 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I've been eagerly anticipating this movie since I first saw the trailer a few months ago. The concept sounds fun and it seems like a great light summer movie.

According to the official website, the movie will be in theaters on June 28.

Yes, something fun and light, exactly ! Looking forward to it.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Who's behind this movie?  I just wonder how they could afford to pay for the use of all those songs. 

Working Title is the production company. They are owned by Universal and Working Title is one of the most prolific and successful British film companies. They've made all of the Richard Curtis written films and this is another one of his. They've also roped in Danny Boyle to direct this.

I read that it took $10 million to secure the songs for the film.

• Useful 3
3 minutes ago, Athena said:

Working Title is the production company. They are owned by Universal and Working Title is one of the most prolific and successful British film companies. They've made all of the Richard Curtis written films and this is another one of his. They've also roped in Danny Boyle to direct this.

I read that it took $10 million to secure the songs for the film.

I just recently saw Paul McCartney in concert, so, this film does pique my interest.  I realize it's a comedy.  I guess I can take it.  

• Love 2

I respect Boyle's decision not to explain what the hell happened (i.e. the blackout, the cause of the blackout, how it relates to Jack ending up in an alt-universe, how the other two people ended up there as well), but it was a bit frustrating.

I enjoyed the rest of it for what it was, a standard rom-com wrapped in a big wet kiss to The Beatles.

• Love 4

I enjoyed it of course Oasis doesn't exist if the Beatles don't 😉.

I gasped when he went to the house and then I started it crying. I was expecting a cameo but it definitely not that.

All in all it was a nice way to spend a couple hours .

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
(edited)
9 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

I was expecting a cameo but it definitely not that.

There's no one credited, but was that Robert Carlyle?

ETA: I answered my own question Googling how to spell Carlyle. It's him. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 3

This was very enjoyable! The music was - as expected - great, the characters were likeable and the dialogue was clever/humorous. 

I’ve never seen Himesh Patel in anything before, but I really liked him. He’s a cutie too. I wonder if he sang all those songs himself? 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Even Jack was like, "Makes sense." So then what did Jack sing when he was 14?

When Jack was 14, it was before the blackout, so that was when The Beatles (and thus, Oasis) existed.

I think the Oasis joke went a bit over the heads of the older crowd in the theater where I saw it today, but I definitely found it hilarious.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Even Jack was like, "Makes sense." So then what did Jack sing when he was 14?

Something else from a band with two brothers who broke up the band.

I thought they would fix it and bring back the Beatles or just have Jack wake up from a coma where he had this dream. I liked that didn't.

No Coke, cigarettes or Harry Potter.

I did kept cracking up in how Ed Sheeran's face kept dropping when Jack would just happen to write/perform one of "his" songs. It what he deserves for suggesting changing the song to Hey Dude.

Also the pitch meeting regarding the albums was hilarious.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

I thought it was cute.  Enjoyable for a matinee.  I thought it was funny how Ed Sheeran’s ring tone was his own song.  

I laughed so hard at that moment - love.

I enjoyed it, although I don't think it was as good as I hoped it would be.  The love story was written pretty shoddily (paraphrasing, "If you want to be with me, you need to turn your back on this dream-come-true international fame right now and stay with me at this train station," what kind of ultimatum is that?), and it's weird to me that there are no less than three extended sequences in which all the comedic and/or dramatic tension hinges on characters being repeatedly interrupted at critical moments.

All that said, I loved the concept, the music was great, and Himesh Patel was terrific.  I really like that other things disappeared along with the Beatles, and I love that Jack didn't have the Beatles' entire catalog locked and loaded - one of my favorite recurring bits was his struggle to remember the exact lyrics of "Eleanor Rigby," and I cracked up whenever something random would remind him of yet another song he had to work on.

• Love 5

I loved it (full disclosure: I've responded that way to 4 Richard Curtis movies). The scene where Jack performs "All You Need Is Love" with a bunch of random people coming on stage playing instruments was a nice reference to the wedding scene in "Love Actually" featuring the same thing.

Some of the reviewers are taking a dig at plot holes. I thought the only time you really had to suspend disbelief was at the beginning, in response to the crazy idea of a huge power outage wiping the Beatles (and a few other things) off the map. Once we got past that, everything the characters did was pretty realistic in terms of how they'd respond to such an event. That made it easy for me to go along with the whole premise instead of constantly questioning it - as a "what if this happened?" thought exercise, I think it worked.

They also did a good job satirizing the shameless, soulless pop music industry of 2019, espeically with Kate McKinnon as the demented manager. They could have gone further with it and made Famous Jack even more of a caricature, but that would have gotten in the way of the idea that Jack was doing a positive thing sharing the Beatles' catalog with the world.

• Love 3

The credits end.  I start down the stairs.  I ask the young lad waiting to clean the theater if he had seen the entire movie.  He said he hadn't and then asked if I liked it.  As I was trying to say, "It's such a warm and loving movie.", I started crying.  Boyle captured me yet again.

Sure, it's a silly summer romp.  Yet, it is as endearing as can be.  There is genuine struggle.  Different types of struggle.  All well presented.  Most importantly, appropriate reverence is given the Beatles' catalogue.  

I usually can't stand the Hollywood tropes used to put barriers in budding romances.  In this movie, there was no romance for a very long time.  It bubbled forth organically.  Less was so much more.  Lily James really sold her commoner/teacher/dreamer character.  I entirely bought in.

The various Google searches were fun.  The final one was pure genius.  Perfection.

There is quite an English sensibility throughout.  I am certain there are some asides which went right past me which would add to my appreciation.  The quirky nature of it all added to the warmth which is ever present.  

I loved that we got to see the lead's (Jack) heart and commitment to his music.  The movie takes its very sweet time showing us.  His coterie of friends/followers were great "everymen" who were all very real, to me.

The parents were not as well-drawn as they were in Bohemian Rhapsody, but they were not mere caricature, either.  They knew they loved their son and were concerned for him.  They had every reason to be.  Genius?  They didn't recognize.  

Jack takes a meeting late in the movie which created all kinds of wondrous reactions within me.  It was among the most fantastic movie moments I've ever experienced.  I admit my bias to wanting to like the movie.  My love for the Beatles' music is (hopefully) eternal.  So yes, I was primed for that moment.  Yet and still, it happened.

If you can get past the alternate universe and the requisite suspensions of disbelief, I'm betting you will enjoy Yesterday very much.  If you additionally like/love that music, you owe it to yourself to see it in a theater.

• Love 9
On 6/29/2019 at 2:05 AM, shoregirl said:

I enjoyed it of course Oasis doesn't exist if the Beatles don't 😉.

I gasped when he went to the house and then I started it crying. I was expecting a cameo but it definitely not that.

All in all it was a nice way to spend a couple hours .

My daughter and I teared up, too. At first I thought I’d be annoyed with any actor portraying him (we weren’t spoiled, but my daughter kept saying throughout that he’d still be alive so we totally guessed where Jack was going) but as soon as he opened the door I was so happy. 

18 minutes ago, Dani said:

It makes total sense he’d still be alive since a crazed “fan” killed him. Without the fame, there’d be no one who wanted to kill him. 

• Love 6
(edited)

This is a thoroughly delightful film. Himesh Patel has a really endearing, easygoing presence both in terms of chemistry with his fellow actors and performance. And hey, he's a pretty good singer, even if Summer Song won't be burning up the charts anytime soon. My favorite character was his oddly sweet lazy friend lol. The execution of the romance was a little clunky and seemed to be Ellie obsessing and convincing Jack that he had to have feelings for her, but their overall chemistry was sweet. Parts were a little bit of a tongue bath for Ed Sheeran, but I really enjoyed his role too.

My one nitpick is Kate McKinnon's character felt out of step with the rest of them - mostly because she plays the exact same zany, bug-eyed SNL character in everything she's in. Her handful of insulting one-liners were amusing, but I found her distracting. She seems to find herself hilarious, which kind of sucks the oxygen from a lot of scenes. 

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 8

Really liked this. Jack's struggle to balance the excitement of his music career taking off and then the mixed emotions of guilt and being overwhelmed were well done. 

The two other people who knew the truth were great. Loved their reaction.

I was distracted throughout the movie by how much Lily James resembled Kiera Knightly. They could be sisters!

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, knitorpurl said:

The two other people who knew the truth were great. Loved their reaction.

Yes! The way they showed the woman skulking around after Jack made me think she was involved in a plot to expose him as a fraud, so I was relieved when it was revealed that she was just another mega fan expressing gratitude for Jack reviving the Beatles' music and shepherding it back into pop culture.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, buttercupia said:

I loved the implication that George would also be alive since cigarettes didn't exist.

In the credits, toward the end, an audio engineer credit (of some sort) was given to a "George Harrison."  🙂

• Love 2

I loved that the Rolling Stones were still rocking. Oasis, not. That actually makes me wonder what musical influences do not exist in this alternate universe. How about Elvis? Buddy Holly? If The Beatles' influencers didn't exist, no Beatles. But if the Delta blues men were still around: Voila! Rolling Stones. 

The other things that didn't exist made me laugh too. Could someone please check if Georgia made it OK without Coca-Cola? 😄  No cigarettes is kind of a big stretch. Is there no tobacco in this world? I would think that somewhere along the line, someone decided to smoke it. Perhaps cigarettes just have some other name. OTOH, it's nice to think that George is probably still alive in this universe.

I loved Rocky and he was, as a kooky, somewhat socially awkward character, a bit of a callback to Spike, another kooky, socially awkward character, from the also Curtis-penned Notting Hill. 

Jack trying to remember all the Beatles' songs and lyrics were some of the best scenes. Fun seeing the little inspirations that would allow him to recall another song to add to his wall. His seeming inability to recall the lyrics to Eleanor Rigby, had me calling out to the screen, "The socks belong to Father McKenzie!" 🙂

I was so pleased that the two older people who also remembered the music of The Beatles were happy that Jack was singing their songs for the rest of the world to hear. I was dreading the idea that either/both of them would ultimately expose him as an imposter. This way was SO much better and much more aligned to the tone of the movie.

I really don't care for Kate McKinnon. This movie certainly did nothing to change my opinion.

Although I'm a Baby Boomer, I have always continued to listen to new music. It ticks me off that most people in my age group will only listen to music that was popular when they were young. Accordingly, there were a lot of older people in the theater with me, who didn't get many of the jokes: "Fix You", Oasis, most of the humor at Ed Sheeran's expense--I'm really not certain they even had any idea that he is a major recording artist IRL,not just some actor!--and most unbelievably the Voldemort/Harry Potter reference at the end. Seriously, you don't even know of Harry Potter?!?!  OTOH, I have several friends who are in their 30s and were wondering if they'd enjoy the movie, given that they're not all that familiar with The Beatles' catalog. I've assured them that they will. I think Boyle/Curtis did a great job to keep both age groups interested. I'm thoroughly sold. I can't stop thinking about the film and look forward to seeing it again.

I actually liked "Summer Song." 😄

• Love 10

I was intrigued by the concept of this movie, and I think there was a nugget of a really good movie here somewhere, but this one fell short for me.  I loved the music, of course, and sang along with all the songs he could remember -- and sang the songs he couldn't remember.  Not too loud, though there was only one other person in the theatre this afternoon.  I also liked that the other two people who remembered the Beatles weren't planning on outing our Jack as a fake.  In the end, Jack did do the right thing by 'fessing up and making all the tunes available for free.

I've been trying to figure out what would have made me enjoy it more, and I can't quite put my finger on it.  Why did the Yellow Submarine lunchbox survive the event when all his Beatles albums didn't? 

There were parts that I liked, but overall, the best I can do is meh.

• Love 2
(edited)

Just saw the movie this afternoon and thought it an interesting, fun premise, whatever one might think of the execution. I prefer the idea that Jack (and obviously those other two people) were tossed into an alternate universe rather than that somehow the world changed and only those three -- and potentially more, who knows? -- remained the same. 

I, too, would have had a problem appropriating the artistry of the Beatles -- even if I had the ability to do so -- or the work of J.K. Rowling. However, I've got to say, I would've been awfully tempted to work on the Coke recipe. It's "pure chemistry," unlike music or writing, and I just wouldn't feel the same sense of guilt over "stealing" that discovery and making a ton of money off of it. 😉

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

This wasn't as predictable as I thought it would be- the fans were awesome, as was seeing an old John Lennon. (Maybe the implication is that in this universe, John Lennon chose his first wife that he married in 1962 after she became pregnant over his music?) I was also surprised that he doesn't go back to his world. (I'm guessing he switched places with his alternate who had led nearly the same life?)

• Love 2

Kate McKinnon was very...distracting in this. It felt like she was in another movie. A movie where other characters were there to match her manic energy. But everyone else was fairly normal and there was doing her schtick (and I LIKE her). It was offputting.

And the audacity to look at Himesh Patel and call him unattractive.

Lily James and HP had amazing chemistry but Ellie had some serious Nice Girl syndrome going on. El, you also had 15 years to tell him how you feel. For her to wait until he was on the brink of success and say "Your dreams or me" was incredibly entitled.

I was frustrated that Jack didn't spend more time talking with the other people who remembered the Beatles because they weren't the only things missing in the world. I was hoping they're compare notes about cigarettes and coca-cola and whatever else might be gone.

I expected the movie to end after Ellie asked who is Harry Potter with Jack saying "I think I want to write a book". It would have gone against the whole point of the movie but it would have been very funny.

All in all I did enjoy it despite my complaints.

• Love 13
On 6/28/2019 at 6:57 PM, AimingforYoko said:

I respect Boyle's decision not to explain what the hell happened (i.e. the blackout, the cause of the blackout, how it relates to Jack ending up in an alt-universe, how the other two people ended up there as well), but it was a bit frustrating.

I was fine with that.  I mean, it's not like any of the three would be in a position to understand or explain it.  Besides, would you really want the movie to take twenty minutes for a subplot about some scientist technobabbling about multiversal wormhole dynamics?

• Love 3

I've seen it twice now because it's just a really fun, sweet movie. The first time around, I was worried that the two people who recognized the music were going to expose Jack as a fraud, so it was good to not have that concern the second time, and know that they were just other fans who remembered and were happy for someone to share the songs with the world. 

I love all the random things that disappeared along with the Beatles. Both times, I think I was the only one who laughed when Jack was googling Oasis. Might be a generational thing. Most people didn't seem to get that Ed Sheeran had his song set as his ringtone, either. The Coldplay/"Fix You" joke got a lot of laughs, though. I found Kate McKinnon hilarious in her role; her comment about Jack being skinny but somehow round took me out. 

Himesh Patel was a great singer, and he and Lily James had nice chemistry. The ending with Jack and Ellie and their kids was super cute. I have no problem with no explanation being given for the blackout and the things that changed; it was better left a mystery. 

• Love 5

I'm in my 30s and was super excited for this film.  My mom is a huge Beatles fan (George was her dude back in the day).  Even if she weren't, I have been exposed to their music enough to seek it out for myself and collect it along with the stories.

The movie:  Man, that was lovely.  Fun, sweet, endearing.  It was such a love letter to the import of Beatles influence, and the central theme that the world was better with the Beatles made me so happy!  I certainly believe that!  It left me with such a lovely feelings in the theater and now the day after.  

I can hand wave the mechanics of why certain things went away after the global blackout, so I could care less about the why, as that doesn't really matter to the heart of the plot.  Himesh Patel was so compelling, I adored him, and like his performances.  Hope he gets good work after this!  I've loved Lily James since Dowton, and I find her energy refreshing.  I thought she was fine in a fairly thankless role.  The chemistry between the leads was lovely, and I really thought the ending was sweet (if a little simple).

Side note:  Like a few of you, I have no idea why they kept saying Jack wasn't attractive.  He's adorable! Some of his outfits after getting famous where legit!  I LOVED the blue suit for his performance by the beach. The dreamy look he gets in his eyes is so sweet, and his smile is super attractive.

The controversy is, of course, about the old Lennon AU.  I didn't put together Jack was going to see John, and when the door opened, I gasped and felt a bit emotional.  Personally, I'm taking it as John's life was cut down too early in large part due to his fame. Lennon was dead before I was born, and yet, I still mourn for him (and George).   If he wasn't famous, he may not have died in such a fashion, and I like the idea of John the artist being around in the world in 2019.  It felt like a respectful homage, and I liked his words to Jack.  

Rocky was hilarious and quirky, as were Jack's other friends.  Ed Sheeran was pretty good too...his little speech in Russia about being Salieri to Jack's Mozart was so overdramatic and made our audience laugh.  I love Kate McKinnon, but don't know that she worked here for me.

As a Desi, I was so happy to see the ever awesome combo of Meera Syal (love her books!) and Sanjeev Bhaskar as Jack's parents.

• Love 8

First things first. This is the type of movie we need more of being made. Mid-budget, character-driven, simple concept, with a captivating story. If it weren't for the music licencing issues which could throw this into royalty hell, Yesterday would be the type of movie you watch anytime it's available. The proverbial "throw away the remote" movie (in whatever form that takes five years from now).

It's far from a perfect movie, but it's eminently watchable, makes you feel good, and low-stakes.

I too kind of love that there was no investigation into the blackout and why it made the effects that it did. It was just a plot device to tell the story. I questioned the veracity of the global blackout effecting New York, the UK, and Moscow all during night time (Japan I guess wasn't distinguished, and could have been a morning show), but a quick check makes it look like that could have happened.

I'm glad the other two people who remembered the world beforehand were on his side, but their press conference questions moments were particularly aggressive, and not consistent with their overall perspective.

• Love 10

Yes I also think I was the only one in theater to laugh at the oasis joke (I’m a crazy fan and product of the 90s) and the Pulp Common People mention.  What about Liverpool international airport? The took out the John Lennon part in the sign. I think I was the only one to catch that too.

• Love 5
On 7/7/2019 at 11:29 AM, ProudMary said:

Although I'm a Baby Boomer, I have always continued to listen to new music. It ticks me off that most people in my age group will only listen to music that was popular when they were young. Accordingly, there were a lot of older people in the theater with me, who didn't get many of the jokes: "Fix You", Oasis, most of the humor at Ed Sheeran's expense--I'm really not certain they even had any idea that he is a major recording artist IRL,not just some actor!--and most unbelievably the Voldemort/Harry Potter reference at the end. Seriously, you don't even know of Harry Potter?!?! 

Count me among the people who tick you off.  I've never heard of Oasis, so I didn't get that joke.  I know Ed Sheeran only from appearances on Graham Norton, and I know of "Fix You" only from that documentary about the old people's choir, which might be bad but I still got the jokes.  Didn't know Sheeran's ringtone was his own song.  Nice touch.

On 7/10/2019 at 9:06 PM, TrininisaScorp said:

The movie:  Man, that was lovely.  Fun, sweet, endearing.  It was such a love letter to the import of Beatles influence, and the central theme that the world was better with the Beatles made me so happy!  I certainly believe that!  It left me with such a lovely feelings in the theater and now the day after.  

I can hand wave the mechanics of why certain things went away after the global blackout, so I could care less about the why, as that doesn't really matter to the heart of the plot. 

When I first started seeing previews, I thought, "I'm going to love this."  Then the reviews came out and they were lukewarm, and I was actually thinking about not going.  But a friend went and said I should go, so I did and I'm so glad.  I loved every second of it (I count not hating Kate McKinnon as "love,") and will probably go see it again.  It will definitely be one that I drop-in watch if I ever run across it when channel surfing (I'm old). 

I can't believe people are hung up on having to suspend disbelief.  Yet superhero movies make tons of money, and nobody complains about having to suspend disbelief in those, never mind all the action movies that are nothing but CGI.  I'm definitely a fan of facts, and can't stand science fiction, but all this movie takes is a little hand-wave at the beginning, and I'm happy to do that.

Himesh Patel was so compelling, I adored him, and like his performances. 

I liked that he wasn't a really great singer.  And his performance of "Help!" was stunning.  In my theater, it was noticeably louder than anything before it, I assume intentionally.  It brought the house down for me.

• Love 3
On 7/7/2019 at 1:29 PM, ProudMary said:

Although I'm a Baby Boomer, I have always continued to listen to new music. It ticks me off that most people in my age group will only listen to music that was popular when they were young.

I'd really make you mad then. These days, I stick to SiriusXM, and I swear that, aside from the Taylor Swift thread in the Music forum, that I live on another planet because I am now in "get off my lawn!" territory despite being a Gen-X'er (born in '72). Then again, I am not much into synth pop or rap or whatever is hot now. Still a rocker/grunge chick, and it seems like, unless one's image is marketable, no genres outside of those exist now, hence my migrating to satellite radio. I do not recognize any of the new big songs and maybe about 2% of the artists, if I am lucky. Shrug.

As for this movie, I have yet to see it. But as a big Beatles fan, I hope to do so.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'd really make you mad then. These days, I stick to SiriusXM, and I swear that, aside from the Taylor Swift thread in the Music forum, that I live on another planet because I am now in "get off my lawn!" territory despite being a Gen-X'er (born in '72). Then again, I am not much into synth pop or rap or whatever is hot now. Still a rocker/grunge chick, and it seems like, unless one's image is marketable, no genres outside of those exist now, hence my migrating to satellite radio. I do not recognize any of the new big songs and maybe about 2% of the artists, if I am lucky. Shrug.

As for this movie, I have yet to see it. But as a big Beatles fan, I hope to do so.

I don't particularly recognize the new, big songs either but I consider those "pop music" and a good deal of "pop music" has always been crap whether it was from the '70s, '80s, '90s or whenever. But there's still plenty of good, new music out there--I tend toward alternative, but I still like harder rock too--and it's pretty easy to find on satellite radio or on streaming services. I'm curious as to which station(s) you listen on SiriusXM? Just traditional grunge (mainly from the '90s-which I also love BTW) or do you listen to some present-day alternative? We certainly all have our comfort zones; mine is New Wave but I don't like to close myself off from great current stuff that's out there.

• Love 1
On 7/26/2019 at 11:44 PM, ProudMary said:

I'm curious as to which station(s) you listen on SiriusXM?

Lithium and its new subchannels, The Spectrum (so I do hear songs I have never heard of, but none really grab me), Hair Nation and its new subchannels, RockBar, and 1st Wave and its new subchannels are basically what I listen to.

• Love 1

I have Sirius XM but am not finding a lot I like aside from Lithium, XMU, and Underground Garage. I'm almost 56 but have the opposite problem of what usually happens as one gets older: music is not loud enough! About 95% of what is played on "alternative" stations bores the hell out of me. I want teeth, energy, rawness, and guitars laden with effects. After falling in love with The Brian Jonestown Massacre a couple of years ago I became immersed in an entirely new genre of psychedelic and lesser-known shoegaze bands. That's pretty much all I listen to now. Every time someone asks who I'm listening to I always apologize for sounding like a hipster because my response is usually, "You probably haven't heard of them." 

However, no one will EVER be able to touch The Beatles, and "Tomorrow Never Knows" is my favorite psych song ever. I've always said that it's like they exist on a separate musical planet from all other bands. I can understand people not liking any other bands but I'm floored when someone says they don't like The Beatles. What the hell is wrong with you?! I did have a young friend who felt that way but she had never heard "Tomorrow..." or the Revolver album and that totally changed her opinion of them. Her mother had only ever played their earlier, more pop-ier music.

Even though I was unfortunately spoiled for the John Lennon appearance, I still started crying when I saw him. I've always felt that for my generation (I was born in 1963) his death was like John F. Kennedy's for the generation before us. I will always remember exactly where I was when I heard about Lennon, just like my mom remembers where she was when she heard about Kennedy. It was that monumental.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 3
On 7/26/2019 at 7:46 PM, WendyCR72 said:

These days, I stick to SiriusXM, and I swear that, aside from the Taylor Swift thread in the Music forum, that I live on another planet because I am now in "get off my lawn!" territory despite being a Gen-X'er (born in '72).

Forgot to add that we are a lot alike. Although I haven't spent any time in that forum I really flove Taylor's first few albums and unabashedly enjoy singing along. Another confession is that I also adore and sing along with Ashlee Simpson's first album!

Okay, back to working my way through Rancho Relaxo's discography.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 1

I consider myself to be an old fogie, music-wise (I'm 59) but I've certainly heard of Oasis and recognized Ed Sheeran and the humor around his ringtone.  Heard of Coldplay, but not Fix You.  I think that people always have a greater fondness for the music of their youth.  I find much of today's music sterile and boring.  Hip hop isn't my thing, though there are a few songs that I do like.  I'm sure that there are some really great bands out there that I have never heard of, but I don't know how to find them and seldom have the energy to look.  The few newer bands that I like, I've found on YouTube, mostly. I am sad because I have turned into a "get off of my yard" person.  There are huge artists out there that are proclaimed geniuses and I Just Don't Get It.  But I am outnumbered, so obviously, it is just me.

I do wish that the movie had truly explored the implications of a world without the Beatles.  Obviously, there's no Oasis, but I somehow doubt that there would be a Coldplay, either. They changed the entire recording industry, if inadvertently.  I mean, the Beatles were the whole reason that most of the younger musicians in the 1960s and 1970s even got the idea to be in a band to begin with (judging from too many musician interviews to count.)  So I think that there could have been a little more thought put into that part of it.

Loved Himesh Patel.  Hope to see him in more things.

• Love 1