Type keyword(s) to search

Christina on the Coast: Episodes 1 - 6 Discussion

I think I'm only going to end up watching this show because it will allow me to see Izzy.  I also never realized how much I subconsciously preferred Tarek because Christina was like nails on a chalkboard.  Maybe it will get better with the second episode, but this one was TMI about Christina's personal life.

Izzy should have his own show.  I'd rather watch that.

• Love 13
(edited)

Her robot-voice has improved since the early days of Flip or Flop but I still can't help wishing for her to flop. More Izzy, less Ant, more colors. Frankly, I don't see what new perspective she is bringing to design that she needs her own show... (and that probably means HGTV has renewed it for five more seasons already)

Edited by MaKaM
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4

I've always thought Ant was a fool for appearing with that fat dude on the Wheeler Dealers car show my husband watches. Ant works hard on the car restorations and then fat dude practically gives them away.

Obviously Ant's preference in a hot mess wife is no better than his choice of working with a creepy car show partner.

Bottom line for me is that I won't watch if it means seeing her husband and kids on a regular basis. They took up a lot of time in the premiere episode that could have been devoted to Izzy working on the house.

• Love 2

Well I must be the only person on this planet that kind of liked the show! I liked the interaction between Christina and her friend, it was nice seeing Izzy again, the finished kitchen looked good, as did the "gifted" outdoor space.

There are plenty of HGTV people who I loathe and I watch very little on this channel nowadays, but Christina doesn't bother me at all.

• Love 10
(edited)

I watched the premiere and may not watch again on a regular basis.  Christina has a good eye for design and I give her credit for that but I don’t care at all about her new husband and their “story”.   I wish that time had been used to show her thought process on the different choices for flooring, backsplash tile, etc.  I love seeing designers making decisions in granite yards and design centers and wish we would see more of that.

Also, her vocal fry has gotten worse and it grates on me.  I swear, vocal fry has almost become a national epidemic.  Grrrrr....  

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 14
19 hours ago, Broderbits said:

Well I must be the only person on this planet that kind of liked the show! I liked the interaction between Christina and her friend, it was nice seeing Izzy again, the finished kitchen looked good, as did the "gifted" outdoor space.

There are plenty of HGTV people who I loathe and I watch very little on this channel nowadays, but Christina doesn't bother me at all.

@broderbits I didn't hate it! Like some others, I'm hoping for more time spent on construction and less time with Ant knocking on random people's doors, but I will definitely watch a few more episodes. Also, like someone else mentioned, she's less annoying when she's not butting heads with Tarek constantly.

• Love 4
On 5/26/2019 at 2:37 PM, CruiseDiva said:

I've always thought Ant was a fool for appearing with that fat dude on the Wheeler Dealers car show my husband watches. Ant works hard on the car restorations and then fat dude practically gives them away.

You should watch the earlier eps with Edd China instead of Ant--it was quite the kerfuffle in the car world when Edd got dumped--and especially the British-based ones. (and it is TV, so not really "reality"). We'd laugh like hell at all the stuff Edd did that didn't get considered when pricing the car. Auto repair labor is $100 an hour these days. 

Edd would never ever end up with Christina IMO. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

You should watch the earlier eps with Edd China instead of Ant--it was quite the kerfuffle in the car world when Edd got dumped--and especially the British-based ones. (and it is TV, so not really "reality"). We'd laugh like hell at all the stuff Edd did that didn't get considered when pricing the car. Auto repair labor is $100 an hour these days. 

Edd would never ever end up with Christina IMO. 

My husband has been watching Wheeler Dealers for years. Long before Ant came on board. Yep, the little fat dude has been screwing up the "dealing" result since the show started.

Christina wouldn't have given the very auto-talented Edd the time of day.

Do we really need to see Christina getting her hair/makeup done?  It's bad enough we have to watch her play "go fish" (at the least the kids are cute), but enough is enough.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
17 hours ago, edie3 said:

I did not like that bathroom.  To me, the shower tile and the floor tile did not go together.   And the penny round was too much.

It didn't go together and the floor was really ugly. Tile similar to what was used on the shower walls is actually available in larger sizes. I know that because I used something similar in my master bath.

A better look would have been to use the same tile on the bathroom floor that they used on the shower walls, but in a larger size, and something other than that penny tile on the shower floor and wall niche.

• Love 1
(edited)

I really didn't like the tile she chose for the bathroom floor.  Too big, too bold, and it added one too many patterns in the small room.  I also think the newly created doorway in the bedroom was a mistake but won't blame Christina for that decision because it wasn't hers.

Had to laugh when the one guy was pushing for the idea of the raised sinks when it was clear his partner wouldn't be able to spit out his toothpaste into the bowl due to his shorter stature.  What was he thinking?

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, tinderbox said:

Had to laugh when the one guy was pushing for the idea of the raised sinks when it was clear his partner wouldn't be able to spit out his toothpaste into the bowl due to his shorter stature.  What was he thinking?

I chalk it up to HGTV's standard manufactured conflict scenario. It must be required on every show and they think we can't function without it.

• Love 1

I actually don't mind seeing the kids. After all, they were in all (or most) of the original ForF shows. As long as it's kept to a minimum, I have no problem with it. At least the kids are a bit more interesting than watching her get primped for the show.

• Love 5

I just think the whole situation is awkward and somewhat uncomfortable. The only reason anyone knows who Christina is is because of Flip or Flop. It's just so odd to give her another show with another boyfriend (now husband) and Tarek out of the picture. It feels weird. And she isn't offering anything unique to the spectrum of designing and remodeling shows. She's not even a real designer, it's not like she has any background or training. She was a realtor and started flipping houses with her then-husband. Now she fancies herself a designer. 

You have to wonder what her kids think of this. Taylor is getting so big, it's funny to think how little she was when they were carrying her around back in the first season of Flip or Flop. 

You gotta figure Tarek still has the kids sometimes, I wonder how or if they'll address that.

Also, her vocal fry has gotten worse and it grates on me.  I swear, vocal fry has almost become a national epidemic.  Grrrrr.... 

Podcasts have led me to the conclusion this is something a lot of women just can't help. Or they could if they were aware of what they were doing and made a conscious effort to avoid it. But I think most women who do that aren't doing it for effect. I think attention to "vocal fry" first came to light as a result of certain reality show or YouTube personalities who did do it for effect. And now every woman whose voice drops into her throat is accused of vocal fry, whereas for many women it's just a natural place where their voice rests when they aren't talking loudly.

It's a double standard, too, because there are men who do that and aren't accused of "vocal fry." Bradley Cooper, for example, talks that way all the time. And women don't seem to mind it, they even find it sexy. But when a woman does it? Vocal fry.

• Love 4

Missed the first episode but watched the second. Um, it won’t go on a series setting for me on my DVR. I don’t really take her seriously as a designer. At least, with Tarek it’s design and construction which I can watch. This show is all just her (and, her random new husband) which isn’t enough for me to care. I will be curious to see if it gets picked up for a second season or not. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I will be curious to see if it gets picked up for a second season or not. 

Me too. HGTV is really promoting it. I'm not watching - don't give a flip about Christina.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
19 hours ago, MsTree said:

I actually don't mind seeing the kids. After all, they were in all (or most) of the original ForF shows. As long as it's kept to a minimum, I have no problem with it. At least the kids are a bit more interesting than watching her get primped for the show.

They aren't the viewers kids to miss or there to save their mother's tv show. They deserve privacy. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

They aren't the viewers kids to miss or there to save their mother's tv show. They deserve privacy. 

I'm sure they deserve a lot of things, but that's up to their mother whether or not they get it.

• Love 1

I actually don't mind seeing the kids. After all, they were in all (or most) of the original ForF shows. 

True, but Flip or Flop was about a married couple with their kid(s) so it made sense to show them as a family. Now, they're . . . well, it's awkward. 

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

True, but Flip or Flop was about a married couple with their kid(s) so it made sense to show them as a family. Now, they're . . . well, it's awkward. 

I think it's awkward for a different reason.  When Flip or Flop premiered, Tarek and Christina were in a different financial circumstance.  They borrowed money from his mother and her parents at different times.  Even with the manufactured HGTV drama, we know that they were not as wealthy as they are now.

Tarek is now wealthy as well, but the difference is is that he's quieter about it.  Other than Flip or Flop, and the occasional short article here and there, we haven't heard much from him, which I can appreciate. 

I'm having a much more difficult time with Christina because it's now clearly a money grab and attention for her.  (Not that it wasn't before, but it wasn't so obnoxious.)  Her wedding photos were sold to People.  It's been announced that she's expecting a child with Ant, and within the first two episodes of her show, she's driving around with Ant looking at $4M houses.  That's obnoxious, in my opinion.

I know that Tarek likes expensive watches, and he has a yacht, but he's not on a TV show effectively yelling "Hey! Look at my yacht!"

Christina is also not particularly charitable either, at least not that we've heard.  If she's going to be that exposed, at least have someone else benefit from it in addition to herself if she's not going to be quiet about her wealth.  Chip and Joanna drive me up a tree, and I'm not naive about the fact that they get publicity from being charitable during their shows.  However, the difference is is that they get publicity AND someone else gets a remodeled house,  Christina is being neither quiet nor charitable, and the tone of her show is very off-putting, at least it is to me.  The design comes across as secondary to "Hey, look at how wealthy I am."  Izzy may not be enough to keep me around.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
On 6/2/2019 at 11:21 AM, iMonrey said:

Podcasts have led me to the conclusion this is something a lot of women just can't help. Or they could if they were aware of what they were doing and made a conscious effort to avoid it. But I think most women who do that aren't doing it for effect. I think attention to "vocal fry" first came to light as a result of certain reality show or YouTube personalities who did do it for effect. And now every woman whose voice drops into her throat is accused of vocal fry, whereas for many women it's just a natural place where their voice rests when they aren't talking loudly.

It's a double standard, too, because there are men who do that and aren't accused of "vocal fry." Bradley Cooper, for example, talks that way all the time. And women don't seem to mind it, they even find it sexy. But when a woman does it? Vocal fry.

Vocal Fry bothers me no matter if the person is male or female.  In the last several years I’ve noticed it coming from both but I will say it is usually females.  I respectfully disagree with your theory that it’s a “natural place where their voices rest” and truly believe it has become an aggravating....trend.  A good example is Savannah Guthrie.  I watch The Today Show on a daily basis and have for years.  Her vocal fry came out of nowhere.

Clearly, VF is like nails in a chalkboard for me and I’m not trying to argue with you. I swear.

• Love 10
On 6/2/2019 at 10:21 AM, iMonrey said:

You gotta figure Tarek still has the kids sometimes, I wonder how or if they'll address that.

Tarek shows his kids all the time on his Instagram .  He seems to have them fairly often. He’s with Tay in all sorts of events  and activities.   Tarek’s House is beautiful. 

So Isidro is a regular on her show? Well, I guess there had to be a better reason to watch this new show, she sure as hell wasn't going to bring in that many viewers on her own. 😂🤣

• Love 4
20 hours ago, tinderbox said:

Vocal Fry bothers me no matter if the person is male or female.  In the last several years I’ve noticed it coming from both but I will say it is usually females.  

It's everywhere now and nothing will make me change a channel faster than a grating, gravelly voice like Christina's. If it's an affectation they need to stop, it's not attractive.

The host of Bargain Mansions has a voice that hits a rough note at the end of nearly every sentence but I put up with it because I enjoy the show and I'm pretty sure it's her natural voice and it can't be helped.

• Love 5
(edited)

I've watched one episode.  I thought she really needed Tarek.  I don't think she can carry a show on her own. JMO.  Most of what she does must be super great, because, she rarely veers from the same old thing. I'm tired of it.  Just dial it in. 

And, did she really live in that house for very long with Tarek before the separation?  How many bad memories could there be?  It's a lovely home.  I just struggled to feel sorry for her there with all those bad memories.  Please.  Why did I get the feeling that its not good enough for her now. That's why she really wants to move. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've watched one episode.  I thought she really needed Tarek. 

I think that's why Izzy is featured in the series.  He's taking the spot that Tarak has opposite Christina on Flip or Flop.  I completely agree with you that she can't carry a series.  Izzy is awesome, and I love him, but this whole show is still awkward with a capital A.

I also think it's a bit ridiculous how far the network is going to avoid mention of Tarek.  I get it.  They're divorced, she's with Ant yada, yada, yada, but when she was talking about Brayden being born in that house, and the selected clip conveniently did NOT show Tarek, I just did a major eye roll.  People who are going to take the time to watch this show more than likely have watched Flip or Flop and are likely to know that Christina's pregnancy was heavily featured on the show.  It's like the network thinks viewers are going to spontaneously combust at the mere sight or mention of Tarek.  Or maybe Christina will, but the WE ARE NOT MENTIONING TAREK decision is so obvious, it's like Christina on the Coast is practically screaming it.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I also think it's a bit ridiculous how far the network is going to avoid mention of Tarek.  I get it.  They're divorced, she's with Ant yada, yada, yada,

The network seems to have created this image of a Brave Single Mom for her. Knowing her back story, that really is awkward. 

• Love 10

I've watched one episode.  I thought she really needed Tarek.  I don't think she can carry a show on her own. JMO. 

I suppose HGTV is banking on Christina's appeal as a host. I mean, she's pretty enough, but that's about it. The reason Flip or Flop was a success was because it had a cute young couple hosting it with a cute little kid. But I think a lot of fans soured on them after their dirty laundry came out and they divorced. I also think Christina came off worse because she was cheating on a husband that had just survived cancer.

So I think the network has gravely miscalculated on which of the two could be a stronger draw on their own, if either even could. 

• Love 12

Just finished "sorta watching" this as I was in the kitchen. The first thing I noticed was the homeowner's "plumped" up lips and Christina's ripped knees on her jeans! Pretty bad considering this is supposed to be a design show!! Since Ant is being presented as her boyfriend, I can see a proposal and wedding in upcoming episodes, so I'm not sure how this is an actual design show....it is a "I'm Christina! Look at me!!" Wonder what Tarek thinks of this show...if he is even watching which I bet he has sneaked a peek at least!

And wasn't it lucky that she had all of that brick just sitting in her warehouse? No one orders that badly, I would hope! And her hitting the target...no way, all you had to do was look at the bow and figure the arrow landed right in front of her...good editing on that shot!

I cannot see this show lasting...I might tune in just to see how outrageous it gets.......

• Love 4
On 6/11/2019 at 1:33 PM, iMonrey said:

I suppose HGTV is banking on Christina's appeal as a host. I mean, she's pretty enough, but that's about it. The reason Flip or Flop was a success was because it had a cute young couple hosting it with a cute little kid. But I think a lot of fans soured on them after their dirty laundry came out and they divorced. I also think Christina came off worse because she was cheating on a husband that had just survived cancer.

I used to like Christina a lot.  A few minutes ago I saw a promo for "Christina on the Coast," showcasing her trendy Tarek-free life and my first thought was "Bitch."

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Pickles said:

Christina and Ant really look a lot alike, facially. They showed footage of their trip to Ireland. Does that mean HGTV funded all or part of the trip?

Based on other reality shows: yep, the trip was probably free. Of course, the Irish tourism association or the various hotels and resorts may have provided freebies to production in exchange for the promotion.

Christina just doesn’t wear well with me. She’s a big ‘ole phony who is way too impressed with her seemingly meager talents, IMO.  And I really, really DO NOT CARe about her new husband, upcoming baby or renovations to her own house. Her kids are cute but I don’t need to see them.

• Love 10
(edited)

As I've mentioned before, I don't miss the tension between C & T - nor the I Love Lucy-ish Ricky(Tarek) wagging his finger at Lucy(Christina) on  her spending ways  and not staying on budget

I like seeing the interiors of the homes so I'll continue to watch

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 11:33 AM, iMonrey said:

But I think a lot of fans soured on them after their dirty laundry came out and they divorced.

Till the day I die I will maintain that they (the network) threw Tarek and Christina under the bus specifically to avoid giving those loathsome, goody-goody hypocrite Gaines' more bad press regarding their choice of church and their apparently even more loathsome, homophobic pastor. 

Edited by Ninamags
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Wonder what Tarek thinks of this show...if he is even watching which I bet he has sneaked a peek at least!

Tarek is incredibly busy. He was recently in North Carolina helping Habitat for Humanity build houses for the community. He also has a new real estate company plus he is super busy spending time with his kids. 

I'm sure he has no  time for her ridiculous "show" that is only superficially about renovations. She should have peddled her show to Bravo. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 1:33 PM, iMonrey said:

I suppose HGTV is banking on Christina's appeal as a host.

I think the network wants a "lifestyle" show a la the Kardashians or Martha Stewart.  However, since the network is about houses and design, there has to be a bit in there.  Emphasis on "bit."  This episode shows that the network is propping the design part of this show something fierce.  Again with someone she knows, and the design isn't that much different from one of her flips.  The rest of the show is all lifestyle.

As to the appeal of Flip or Flop, I also think some of the appeal came from the deal.  What did they pay?  What did they spend?  How risky was the flip?  Plus, we got to know all of the various contractors.  That's all missing from here.  We have vapid and overindulged Christina and Ant.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Ninamags said:

He was recently in North Carolina helping Habitat for Humanity build houses for the community.

I'd watch that. At least he's helping someone.  He could bring Izzy along to help as well.  Maybe it couldn't be a whole series, but it could be an HGTV Special or something like that. 

• Love 4

It's not a bad spin-off.  Personally, I always cared for the decorative aspects of these shows rather than the home-buying and flipping, so I'm not missing Tarek's role in the series here.  As for Christina by herself, she's ok.  She doesn't have much personality (which is important for these shows) but again, I'm in it for the fancy finishes and the final results, Christina is just a second.  

Since Christina is pregnant now, I'm wondering what her house hunt is going to look like in the end.

I sympathized with the short guy in the second ep, who wanted a shorter vanity so he could actually use it properly.  His partner (who was much taller) whined and eventually relented on the under-mount sink.  I know it's manufactured, but it's still stupid.

Then again, I'm not a fan of vessel sinks anyway.  They look stylish, but I'm messy and I know I would slop water all over the place.  I'm all for under-mount or trough sinks.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Tarik and Christina are on the cover of this months HGTV magazine and it mentions their former show. I wonder why they are still pushing the two of them.

Unless you've heard or read something recently, I haven't gotten the impression that "Flip or Flop" is a former show.  They've both stated publicly that they plan to continue to work together, so unless that's changed, I think Flip or Flop is in its "off" cycle, as most HGTV shows have..  If Flip or Flop were cancelled, I'd think it would have at least made the TV blogs.

Christina's even mentioned in passing on CotC that she's working on flips, so presumably, that's with Tarek.

• Love 2
(edited)

Till the day I die I will maintain that they (the network) threw Tarek and Christina under the bus specifically to avoid giving those loathsome, goody-goody hypocrite Gaines' more bad press regarding their choice of church and their apparently even more loathsome, homophobic pastor. 

Maybe. I wonder if Joanna Gaines divorced Chip and hooked up with some other guy if HGTV would give her her own show. 

As to the appeal of Flip or Flop, I also think some of the appeal came from the deal.  What did they pay?  What did they spend?  How risky was the flip?  Plus, we got to know all of the various contractors.  That's all missing from here.

Yeah, I noticed she didn't say how much she sold her house for, or what the asking price was for the houses she looked at. Now I realize that's her business but it was such a huge part of her show, her job, and her brand that I fully expect the negotiations to be part of the conversation since it's part of the new show. Why is she being so coy about it when all we ever heard from her is how much they were spending on this house or that house. Why is the house she's living in so different? It makes her seem shifty.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1