Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E22: I'm Not Leaving You

• Start Topic

First Aired: May 22, 2019

In the Season 7 finale, Severide and Kidd continue to investigate Benny's old arson case, unexpected news leads Brett to ponder a big decision and all hell breaks loose.

(edited)

Not too long ago, Mouch was ready to "quit" the station because Otis was busting his balls. Ritter was going to remind him of that decision before the car crash.

The mother couldn't tell the son run to a neighbor or call the father or go outside for assistance before getting behind the wheel and drive?

That husband gave the excuse of his father dying and Carol enterd his life 15 years ago. What was his excuse this time when she showed up at his door?

There is no way this show will allow Stella's pretty face to have a permanent scar. She barely had a mark when she got to the bar.

Hubble gave no thanks to Kidd, didn't look her way or asked how she was feeling and gave Kelly all the credit (and a smile). 

I almost thought Kidd was going to arrive at the cabin and find Kelly and Hubble in bed. Kelly has matured...go figure!

A lot of burned bodies this episode. Was this in honor of Game of Thrones?

Couldn't they fit a second and third ladder in the elevator shaft? 

Brett and Foster "suited up" in one second. Very Impressive.

Does anyone listen to orders on this show? 

I can see a lot of deaths to open next season (maybe Ritter, Herrmann, Stella).

It's soap opera time with Matt/Sylvie/Chaplain!

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 7

Brett is going to give up her CFD salary and pension to move to Indiana, just for twoo wuv?  Aaah.

Why were so many of the employees in the basement of the factory?  And, to me, it's a helluva lot safer to run your hose lines down that staircase and put fire out ahead of you, rather than find an elevator shaft and lower yourself down to the fire by rope.  What could possibly go wrong?

Ritter, if you haven't learned firehouse culture by now, you're lost.  Hermann should have put another "unapproved" category up there - rank.  You don't tease the guys above you, only below.  That's the rule in any job.

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but a boiler's function is to create steam, correct?  Now, the gas or fuel should have been shut off outside, so those flammables shouldn't be a concern.  The rising pressure is from water being heated to steam until the boiler ruptures.  Is that really going to take out a city block, particularly since it is surrounded by a heavy duty basement?  Granted, if you're a firefighter sitting right there, spraying water everywhere but on the fire, you would be in immediate peril.

I kinda got a laugh when Hubble said "We never would have been able to solve this without you, Severide."  She should have added "particularly since all the relevant information was hidden away in your dad's cabin for 15 years."

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

They try to kill Herman almost every season lol. I don’t think it happens this time either.  I thought Ritter was sweet and a nice addition this season but it was obvious his character wasn’t meant to be around long and he would go out in a meaningful way. I’d be shocked if he survived that.

The chaplain proposing and Sylvie accepting while Matt looked on was just a bit too soap opera for me.

Emily continues to be my highlight of the week lol. “Who wouldn’t want you to jump them? Hell, I want you to jump me!”

• Love 5

I don't like Herrman anymore as he seems like an ass. I wonder if Boden knows that Hermman is teaching Ritter to be a jerk to others. 

I thought that was an awkward proposal but I wonder if that will happen when Sylvia survives. 

I thought and still think it was Doug who was carrying out the arsons. 

I bet Stella will be pregnant next season. 

I hope Herrman is better next season if he survives. 

Maybe its older boilers but I would think there will be a safety thing on newer boilers. 

• Love 1

The chaplain and Sylvie thing is just so unbelievable.  They broke up, he's avoiding the firehouse, he has only talked to her once or twice awkwardly since then.  And now because he's moving to Indiana, he just up and proposes to her?  How about trying to date again first?  That's how it would happen in the real world.

I knew Matt and Sylvie was never going to happen.  She dated Cruz and the chaplain.  And he was married to Dawson. Just too much there to allow it to happen.

The cliffhanger is annoying, but then again, what do we expect?  It's a fire show.  So much of the drama has to center around fires.  Just like last year, we are once again left wondering who survives. 

• Love 4

Why is it so hard for them to call a multiple fire alarm fire where multiple stations come out to fight the fire? I was amazed that they started to bring water to the fire because I have heard it helps put out fires, but why do they have some much trouble calling a multiple fire alarm. This would be a 3-alarm fire for sure.

The exact same problem with the last warehouse fire cliffhanger. Why is there so many issues bringing water and extra support for these fires?

• Love 1

It is funny how the water never seems to go on the fire.

As for the boiler - wouldn't it have made sense to relieve the pressure in a controlled manner rather than let it build up and explode ? Or like the second ladder in the shaft suggestion - is that too much like common sense and therefore not dramatic enough !!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

I don't like Herrman anymore as he seems like an ass. I wonder if Boden knows that Hermman is teaching Ritter to be a jerk to others. 

Boden knows. Herrmann has been so careless lately, I am 99.9% sure he didn't erase the "Ball Busting" info off the white board.

• Love 2
(edited)

The best part of the finale was the actual factory fire, which shouldn't be to0 unexpected since this is show about fire. Everything before that is forgettable and cringe-worthy. Kelly and Stella are firefighters. Not arson investigators or the police. That is why they have the Office of Fire Investigation. That department is tasked with finding arsonists. Not firefighters. Oh, and they're not moving fast enough, Kelly? Investigations are hardly ever a quick process. And a suspect that's on the run isn't found instantly all the time. Any actual investigator would know this. But for drama-sake, let Kelly and Stella investigate the fire and be the ones to bring down the suspect. All so they can get back together again. "I've decided I'm going to be the man you deserve." Ugh. It's amazing how Dick Wolf launched 3 L&O shows, and there were never any inner-department relationships. But it seems he can't help himself with the Chicago franchises.

And you would think with his promotion to Lieutenant, Herrmann would act more grown up. But yet, he's constantly participating in these comedic things, that should be beneath him now. Actually having a "class" about ball busting.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Love 4
(edited)

Well we dodged a bullet with Casey and Brett. You know that would be a disaster.

I don’t think Antonio or Voight would be the killer. It has to be Anne Heche or someone we never heard of before. That’s how this show rolls. When they right one of their hack plots they bring in Ruzek’s sister or Burgess’s sister or someone we never heard of before to be the straw man. 

My prediction? Ray Price’s wife. We know she is crazy and ready to kill and she couldn’t allow Kelton to win because of her.

Or sometimes new we never heard of before.

Edited by langford peel
  • Love 1
On 5/23/2019 at 1:56 AM, Dowel Jones said:

And, to me, it's a helluva lot safer to run your hose lines down that staircase and put fire out ahead of you, rather than find an elevator shaft and lower yourself down to the fire by rope.  What could possibly go wrong?

Ritter, if you haven't learned firehouse culture by now, you're lost.  Hermann should have put another "unapproved" category up there - rank.  You don't tease the guys above you, only below.  That's the rule in any job.

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but a boiler's function is to create steam, correct?  Now, the gas or fuel should have been shut off outside, so those flammables shouldn't be a concern.  The rising pressure is from water being heated to steam until the boiler ruptures.  Is that really going to take out a city block, particularly since it is surrounded by a heavy duty basement?  Granted, if you're a firefighter sitting right there, spraying water everywhere but on the fire, you would be in immediate peril.

Didn't they get Otis to move the elevator car up so they could use the shaft the way they did? I'm sure I saw it moving, briefly. Since it's a freight elevator, why not (for the sake of TV, at least) load as many in it and hoist them all up at once? Of course, it would be dangerous as all hell, but there's a serious chance there'd be a stampede at the bottom or Some Other Catastrophe, so that would have been the lesser of two evils.

Yup, never, ever prank on the guy with the white helmet. 

They're almost certainly going to find a fix for the overpressure boiler in the first two minutes of next season, unless Hermann and Ritter are going to be written out. But since they said it would take out the entire block (meaning in the story it's true), if it does go then we need an entire new cast next year and there are a hundred dead civilians. So yeah, they'll probably depressurize it or some other magical solution.

But getting back to the lame ballbusting by Ritter, if they're going to write him out of the series that could be part of Boden's eulogy, maybe? We don't really know anything about Ritter so if he dies the audience has no real connection. Hermann, on the other hand, would be a huge loss, but it would solve one big problem—more screen time going to Engine, of whom we never really see any other personnel. Killing him and Ritter off would put 51 into the background once again. I hope they don't. I really love Hermann (and Mouch). Heart and soul of the firehouse. Old guys rule!

Either Brett dies or the engagement fizzles and it's Dawson 2.0 next season.

Please keep Stellaride as a functional adult relationship now. So done with the playboy crap from him. She's a keeper, you fool. 

They finally did something right that I'd harped on several times. When Boden called in the deuce, even though we only saw a couple of extra pieces of apparatus arriving, Boden was commanding many more than we saw, giving the impression that they had a lot of manpower. Obviously it's a budget thing (where are you going to rent 20 or 30 pieces of apparatus and 80-120 fully-dressed extras at a TV show budget, after all), but that's a good solution. Except it wouldn't really be Boden giving the commands at that point; it would be a division or district chief. But for TV sake, I'll buy it, and I'm glad they did it. Emergency! did it 45 years ago, with equal success.

• Love 2

I have a feeling Ritter will be the only casualty. His character doesn't really do much and won't be missed. Plus, I'm pretty sure I read that all the main characters renewed their contracts.

I like Brett with the Pastor, but we all know it's not going to last. 

Hopefully next season, the show will do away with these hokey B plots. They're getting old and are never funny.

• Love 1
On 5/23/2019 at 1:56 AM, Dowel Jones said:

I am a mechanical engineer (although it has been a few years since I workded on a boiler project) but I think  like @Marvin said the logical thing to do would be to find a way to relieve the pressure. Opening or breaking valves or breaking off steam pipes to get any steam pipe out in a controlled manner seems like a smarter thing to do.

On a side note when they were coming into the building it looked like there was sprinkler piping in the ceiling.

Also my suspicion now is that Brett will get injured in the explosion ( Hermann will be fine) and will have to spend time in hospital recovering. During that time the padre will move and she will finall fall for Casey. 

Caset/Brett was so daytime soap. Casey not asking her, ex appearing, Casey misunderstanding, ex proposing, Brett accepting because she thinks Casey doesn't feel the same. What's next? He'll chase her down at the airport and stop her from leaving declaring his feelings? 

• Love 2

I don’t want any of them to die but my guess is we may lose Ritter.  I hope not.  Do any of you know if the actor has signed a contract for next season?

I’m all for the idea of Matt and Sylvie.  My guess is one or both of them will be seriously hurt or burned in the fire and they’ll eventually profess their attraction/love for one another during recovery or at a “deathbed” scene.  (Neither will die.). Hmmm...  I like soap operas!  Can you tell?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, tinderbox said:

I don’t want any of them to die but my guess is we may lose Ritter.  I hope not.  Do any of you know if the actor has signed a contract for next season?

I’m all for the idea of Matt and Sylvie.  My guess is one or both of them will be seriously hurt or burned in the fire and they’ll eventually profess their attraction/love for one another during recovery or at a “deathbed” scene.  (Neither will die.). Hmmm...  I like soap operas!  Can you tell?

If this was the first serious firehouse romance of the series (S1 or S2) I'd be fine with it. I was fine with Dawsey when it happened, and the actors had the chemistry to do it well, until the writers ruined her character. Now it's every 51 character bonking every other 51er? Yeah. No.

That's why I like Hermann's wife and Trudy, too. We see them in healthy relationships with our stars but we're not constantly hit over the head with twooo wuvvvvv every time with them. I'm down with Sevaride and Kidd being the 51 romance du jour but keep it at that. I like Brett, and I like Casey, but please...keep it professional. I'd rather they spent the screen time on firehouse romances on maybe doing a few more interesting runs.

• Love 1
On 5/24/2019 at 2:13 AM, langford peel said:

Well we dodged a bullet with Casey and Brett. You know that would be a disaster.

I don’t think Antonio or Voight would be the killer. It has to be Anne Heche or someone we never heard of before. That’s how this show rolls. When they right one of their hack plots they bring in Ruzek’s sister or Burgess’s sister or someone we never heard of before to be the straw man. 

My prediction? Ray Price’s wife. We know she is crazy and ready to kill and she couldn’t allow Kelton to win because of her.

Or sometimes new we never heard of before.

Most of this post sounds like it would go well in the PD thread...

• Love 2
On 5/23/2019 at 1:39 AM, doLLish said:

They try to kill Herman almost every season lol. I don’t think it happens this time either.  I thought Ritter was sweet and a nice addition this season but it was obvious his character wasn’t meant to be around long and he would go out in a meaningful way. I’d be shocked if he survived that.

The chaplain proposing and Sylvie accepting while Matt looked on was just a bit too soap opera for me.

Emily continues to be my highlight of the week lol. “Who wouldn’t want you to jump them? Hell, I want you to jump me!”

Don’t forget, she called her “an 11.”  

Perfect.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, SG11 said:

Most of this post sounds like it would go well in the PD thread...

I know I screwed up but all these shows run together in my feeble mind.

I thought Herman should have killed himself after being married to that horrible woman in “Sex and the City.”

• Love 1

Casey/Brett was so daytime soap. Casey not asking her, ex appearing, Casey misunderstanding, ex proposing, Brett accepting because she thinks Casey doesn't feel the same. What's next? He'll chase her down at the airport and stop her from leaving declaring his feelings? 

No, he will accidentally marry her evil twin. And then get amnesia. 

Seriously, this show's main weakness has always been the interpersonal stories and relationships. The action scenes are great, the calls they go on are usually top notch. It has always felt like there are two different sets of writers, and the ones doing all the personal stories are all rejects from Soap Opera Writing School.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

No, he will accidentally marry her evil twin. And then get amnesia. 

Seriously, this show's main weakness has always been the interpersonal stories and relationships. The action scenes are great, the calls they go on are usually top notch. It has always felt like there are two different sets of writers, and the ones doing all the personal stories are all rejects from Soap Opera Writing School.

Could not agree more. It's the same with PD. The action scenes are top notch. But all the in-house relationship drama is a waste of screen time. What made Chicago Fire so good in its first season. It focused on the fires, and, for the most part, their non-relationship lives outside of the fires. When Stella first came on the show, the focus was on her being a firefighter and just being one of the guys. Not her relationship drama, which the show constantly wastes screen time to talk about. If the show isn't careful, Stella is going to be the new Gabby. And it will only be a matter of time before the writers decide to ket Stella go to Squad and work under her boyfriend, and Boden will allow it, and then we'll get doused with more relationship drama during their calls.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

Could not agree more. It's the same with PD. The action scenes are top notch. But all the in-house relationship drama is a waste of screen time. What made Chicago Fire so good in its first season. It focused on the fires, and, for the most part, their non-relationship lives outside of the fires. When Stella first came on the show, the focus was on her being a firefighter and just being one of the guys. Not her relationship drama, which the show constantly wastes screen time to talk about. If the show isn't careful, Stella is going to be the new Gabby. And it will only be a matter of time before the writers decide to ket Stella go to Squad and work under her boyfriend, and Boden will allow it, and then we'll get doused with more relationship drama during their calls.

I hear you.  But really then what else could this show be about?  It's fires, the firehouse, and their personal lives which seems really to be just hanging out at Molly's.  It's not going to be interesting to see Sylvie going to Jewel to buy groceries, Severide going to the gym, or Casey watching Netflix alone at home.  There has to be something that is going to keep viewers engaged when they're not involved in a fire action sequence.

I agree that PD feels much the same.  And I hate to say it, but I think Chicago Med probably does the best at weaving in the non-medical stuff into the show, much as I'm sick of all the Halsted/Natalie and Choi/April/sister/Bernie garbage.

But really then what else could this show be about?  It's fires, the firehouse, and their personal lives which seems really to be just hanging out at Molly's.  It's not going to be interesting to see Sylvie going to Jewel to buy groceries, Severide going to the gym, or Casey watching Netflix alone at home.  There has to be something that is going to keep viewers engaged when they're not involved in a fire action sequence.

I'm not saying it can't be done, it just needs to be done better. Stella constantly bending Foster's ear with her obsession over Kelly is really juvenile. Matt and Sylvie circling around each other trying to figure out if they like each other is equally juvenile. This mishap of misunderstandings is stale and uninspired. 

If there aren't two sets of writers, maybe there needs to be. They're are doing one thing really well and another thing really badly.

(edited)
14 hours ago, greyhorse said:

I hear you.  But really then what else could this show be about?  It's fires, the firehouse, and their personal lives which seems really to be just hanging out at Molly's.  It's not going to be interesting to see Sylvie going to Jewel to buy groceries, Severide going to the gym, or Casey watching Netflix alone at home.  There has to be something that is going to keep viewers engaged when they're not involved in a fire action sequence.

I agree that PD feels much the same.  And I hate to say it, but I think Chicago Med probably does the best at weaving in the non-medical stuff into the show, much as I'm sick of all the Halsted/Natalie and Choi/April/sister/Bernie garbage.

Oh, no, you didn’t really say that? The difference is, PD and Fire are about being cops and firemen first, and all the boinking, etc second.

In Med, it’s a fully-blown soap opera all day all night, set in a hospital ER backdrop which includes a Psychiatrist who can’t find his way back to the, um, Psych Dept and a staff who competes to see who can unethically treat patients and situations according to their own whims instead of patient wishes, existing laws and any sort of rules whatsoever.

But on Med, it’s the Soap Opera first and foremost.

Edited by SG11

So if Brett and Casey start dating will this be the 3rd or 4th CFD guy she has gone out with? Cruz, the Chaplain, and I seem one other fire fighter she went out with (or maybe I am mis-remembering) and now Matt. Dating that many people where you work seems like a bad idea, and a bad way to get people talking about you, especially in a place like a fire department.

7 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So if Brett and Casey start dating will this be the 3rd or 4th CFD guy she has gone out with? Cruz, the Chaplain, and I seem one other fire fighter she went out with (or maybe I am mis-remembering) and now Matt. Dating that many people where you work seems like a bad idea, and a bad way to get people talking about you, especially in a place like a fire department.

Dating the chaplain wasn't so bad. At least he wasn't in the firehouse. And when she was dating Antonio from PD, that wasn't a bad relationship. But the writers invented the fact that they somehow always hurt each other when they were together, which was completely false. Putting Matt and Sylvie together is just lazy writing. It's totally forced. And it's a bad look for Matt. After divorcing his wife, the next serious relationship he can find is with her partner. Ugh. They should have allowed his relationship with Naomi to go somewhere. And I'd be on board with Sylvie going back with the chaplain, save for the fact that he's moving. And the Sylvie is not leaving the show any time soon, so unless the chaplain stays, the relationship will not work. And then they'll be trying hard to force her with Matt again.

Putting Matt and Sylvie together is just lazy writing. It's totally forced.

Lazy writing seems to be par for the course for the Chicago writers when it comes to love/relationships unfortunately.

And I'd be on board with Sylvie going back with the chaplain, save for the fact that he's moving. And the Sylvie is not leaving the show any time soon, so unless the chaplain stays, the relationship will not work. And then they'll be trying hard to force her with Matt again.

The only reason the chaplain is moving is to open the door for her and Matt which again. . . lazy writing. It would've been far more interesting for them to have kept her and chaplain together and have them explore how their relationship might affect his job rather than the same old two-people-in-the-same-house-being-together tired storylines.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:41 PM, greyhorse said:

The chaplain and Sylvie thing is just so unbelievable.  They broke up, he's avoiding the firehouse, he has only talked to her once or twice awkwardly since then.  And now because he's moving to Indiana, he just up and proposes to her?  How about trying to date again first?  That's how it would happen in the real world.

I knew Matt and Sylvie was never going to happen.  She dated Cruz and the chaplain.  And he was married to Dawson. Just too much there to allow it to happen.

The cliffhanger is annoying, but then again, what do we expect?  It's a fire show.  So much of the drama has to center around fires.  Just like last year, we are once again left wondering who survives. 

I wouldnt write off Brett and Casey as not happening. Just cause she got engaged doesnt mean it wont broken next season. Hes not a regular and I'm willing to bet Brett and Casey happens just not until mid season or even stretches to near season's end so they can bring back Saint Gabby for DRAMMAAA!!