Type keyword(s) to search

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm very disappointed to see this great show get canceled.  I feel it finished things in a good place though.  I hope we will see The Dark Crystal on another streaming service sooner rather than later.

I'm glad it won an Emmy.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

While the cancellation is sad news, I'm not devastated by it. I really enjoyed the series and would happily watch more BUT  honestly I'm not sure I would have felt good watching the series slowly kill off all the gelflings to get it to where the movie needs it to end. At least this way all the characters get a kinda happy ending. I know there was a cliffhanger so to speak but it still had a nice conclusion as a series.

Also very happy it won an Emmy. It was a very well made show. And I think just like the movie, it's reputation will grow over time.

• Love 3
On 1/30/2020 at 2:11 AM, Trini said:

Also, blooper reel with all the puppeteers' voices:

The puppets are HUGE! For some reason, I did not think they were that big.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:04 PM, Darlin said:

This is a bummer. Puppets are such a fun twist of for movies. I hope someone picks up the show someday.

Ugh pretty upset over this.   Yeah the show was expensive,  but a lot of that expense was building all these puppets and sets... and now they are just gonna collect dust in a warehouse somewhere?  That makes no sense to me. 

• Love 3

'The Dark Crystal Will Return...as a Ballet'

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/the-royal-opera-house-reveals-highlights-of-its-first-full-season-since-2019

The Linbury Theatre continues to be a driving force for collaboration and creativity, featuring independent companies and schools and developing new work. The Royal Ballet presents Company Wayne McGregor in The Dark Crystal: Odyssey, a work for family audiences choreographed and directed by Wayne McGregor. Based on Jim Henson’s iconic 1982 film, this  magical coming-of-age story brings together a team of world-class collaborators including artists Brian and Wendy Froud, composer Joel Cadbury, digital designers kontrastmoment, lighting designer Lucy Carter, dramaturg Uzma Hameed,  costume designer Philip Delamore and face-and-body-artist Alex Box, with puppets and props from Jim Henson's Creature Shop.

'Henson TV Enlists ... Norman Reedus to Create New Creature-Filled Adventure Series'

In the case of Reedus, the star has worked with creatures for years, fighting zombies on the long-running AMC hit. Now, he’s creating an entirely new universe of characters by teaming up with Brian and Wendy Froud (“The Dark Crystal”) for a project in the works for Henson. The primetime adventure series, intended for a family audience, will feature an entirely new universe of creatures created by the Frouds.

“Norman Reedus, the Frouds [who will create the show’s creatures] and the Jim Henson Company coming together to create a show is the mashup of my dreams,” says Halle Stanford, president of TV at The Jim Henson Company. “Norman is an artist, and when I suggested to him, what if we create a series with the Frouds together that explores his love of magical creatures, he was so excited.”

Although Netflix canceled “The Dark Crystal: The Age of Resistance” after one season, Stanford hasn’t given up on figuring out a new way into that franchise.

“We are nimble, we are resilient. We are ready to jump. The minute anyone would like to jump back into Thra [“The Dark Crystal” planet setting], it is a world that we will continue to build on and think about,” she says.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:04 AM, Trini said:

BTW, the Dark Crystal ballet is scheduled to run in April 2022:

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/the-dark-crystal-odyssey-by-wayne-mcgregor-details

It's not like I was going to be in London to see this, but still disappointing: it's been delayed until next year.

As a result of the repercussions of Covid and its ongoing international impact, Company Wayne McGregor have had to revise their plans for The Dark Crystal: Odyssey, which was due to receive its world premiere in the Linbury Theatre in Spring 2022. This exciting new production will now open in 2023.

It looks like the title changed slightly for the ballet:

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/the-dark-crystal-odyssey-by-wayne-mcgregor-details

https://waynemcgregor.com/productions/universe-a-dark-crystal-odyssey/

UniVerse: A Dark Crystal Odyssey reimagines Jim Henson’s epic adventure and unsettling world in the context of our own ailing planet, exploring themes of nature, exploitation, courage and rescue, and asking how we can come together to be whole again. Featuring the extraordinary dancers of Company Wayne McGregor, this is a modern myth for all generations.

Since its premiere in 1982, Henson’s boundary-breaking film The Dark Crystal has achieved cult status. A darkly fantastical tale with ecological overtones, today its depiction of an earth riven by extremes and in need of healing is more urgent than ever.

A team of world-class creatives, led by director and choreographer Wayne McGregor, includes artists and original Henson collaborators Brian and Wendy Froud as well as composer Joel Cadbury, digital designers Kontrastmoment, lighting designer Lucy Carter, dramaturg Uzma Hameed, costume designer Philip Delamore and face-and body-artist Alex Box.

I think this was originally supposed to have puppets in it, but it seems like that's not the case any more?