Type keyword(s) to search

[BUG] Clicking on thread goes to 1st post, not 1st NEW post

shapeshifter

Since yesterday afternoon (May 20, 2019), 
clicking on a thread takes me to first post, NOT first New post.

This happens on various platforms and browsers.

I tried marking the forum read, logging out, clearing cache.

It doesn't happen on threads I've never visited.

I have my "Sort by" option set to "Last reply."

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

This is happening to me, too, in most areas of the forum - from show forums to activity streams.  The "?do=getNewComment" is missing from the clickable URL.  However, when you do find the new post it does still have the gold outline.  The one place where it does still work is at the "Next Unread Topic" links at the bottom of individual threads.  ETA: found one more place it works, in the "Managed Topic Follows" tab.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

So for the last few days anytime I click on a thread, either from the forum itself, or from my content posted page, instead of going to the latest posts, it goes to the very first page of the thread. Any way to fix this?

• Love 3

I recently noticed, maybe within the last day or two, that when using any of the streams under the 'My activity Stream' list, when clicking on a topic link, rather than taking me to the first unread comment (as had been the default) it now takes me to the very first page of the topic.  I double checked the settings, especially on the custom streams and they all are set to link to the first unread comment.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/21/2019 at 8:31 AM, aquarian1 said:

However, when you do find the new post it does still have the gold outline

I noticed it's gone back to being a single gold line; IIRC, before the wonkiness started, the style had been changed to a gold border on all sides of the 1st new post.
Or was it the last read post?

Anyway, I'm relieved to know you're on it. 
And it's not just me.

ETA

On 5/21/2019 at 8:31 AM, aquarian1 said:

The "?do=getNewComment" is missing from the clickable URL. 

Thanks for noticing and mentioning this, @aquarian1.
It's a little easier to click on a thread
and then append ?do=getNewComment to the URL
than it is to click on a thread, click on the last page, and then scroll down to find the gold line.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 5/21/2019 at 8:53 PM, shapeshifter said:

I noticed it's gone back to being a single gold line; IIRC, before the wonkiness started, the style had been changed to a gold border on all sides of the 1st new post.
Or was it the last read post?

I am also having trouble with this issue.  Sometimes I get the gold box, sometimes I get the gold line, sometimes it goes to the first unread post, and most of the time it goes to the first page instead of the first unread post. 

I am still experiencing this.

If I do go to the last page and scroll backwards I will see the gold line on the post which marks the first unread.

I see the gold outline if I click on notifications of a specific, post (yours for instance) or in the default  'all activity' stream which takes me to that specific post

• Love 1

Same as everyone above.  Clicking on thread in Activity Stream takes to first post instead of first new post.  The new post does have a gold line on top.   However, within a forum, I now go to first new post, so that part seems to be fixed (fingers crossed).  It's just the streams now for me.  Although, since that my primary navigation method, it is still an issue.  

I'm also experiencing the same issue. In addition to the others, what happens to me is the page can't decide where to go-the first new post outlined in gold or the top of the page. It just hiccups up and down before going to the top of the page. So then I have to scroll down to the first unread/new post.

Happens on my phone: iPhone/Safari and PC Windows 10/Chrome.

On 5/30/2019 at 1:07 PM, SilverStormm said:

@shapeshifter @aquarian1 @Kel Varnsen @DearEvette

Are you still experiencing the not going to newest post bug? Also, can you let me know what you're currently experiencing with the gold line vs. gold outline on latest/notified posts please.

So I just found out if I click on a thread from the "content I posted in page" it goes to page 1. But say if I click on Avengers Endgame thread from the movies page it will go to first unread.

Also I seem to get a mix of gold line and gold box.

I'm still having problems going to the last new post.  Is it just me?  Am I doing something wrong?  I've logged out, completely rebooted, cleared cookies...nothing worked.

4 hours ago, izabella said:

I'm still having problems going to the last new post.  Is it just me?  Am I doing something wrong?  I've logged out, completely rebooted, cleared cookies...nothing worked.

Our tech people are working to fix this bug but no ETA yet. As soon as there's an update on this I'll post it in here.

• Love 3
On June 7, 2019 at 7:04 PM, SilverStormm said:

Our tech people are working to fix this bug but no ETA yet. As soon as there's an update on this I'll post it in here.

Still happening for me as well. 

Thanks!

On 6/7/2019 at 2:47 PM, izabella said:

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Thanks!

And me.

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Thanks!

Still happening for me too.  I notice if I click on a thread from the list on my forum home page it goes to first unread post but if I do it from my "topics I follow" activity stream it goes to the very beginning of the thread. 

• Love 1

I don't know what you guys did, but it's almost fixed!

1. In a stream
  2. if you click on the time stamp for the last post:
    (sorry if my black background is confusing)
    image.png.140a3f1876ab8d0a0ba07d16c8817095.png
  3. you will be taken to that last post with a gold outline around it.
  4. But NOW, if you scroll up, you will also see a gold like demarcating the last read post from new posts since your last visit:

(sorry if my black background is confusing)

image.thumb.png.343442c81f34fd11bc55e1f7624d5b1f.png

18 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

Can someone confirm whether they're still experiencing this issue post update? Thanks!

Yes, I'm still experiencing this. Except now, it will go to the first unread/new post for one second, then jump back up to the top of the page, so I have to scroll to the new post.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:
2 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

Can someone confirm whether they're still experiencing this issue post update? Thanks!

Yes, I'm still experiencing this. Except now, it will go to the first unread/new post for one second, then jump back up to the top of the page, so I have to scroll to the new post.

Maybe my internet connection is too slow to see the brief trip to the new post, but it's still not working for me.

In my streams,
clicking on the title of a thread that I've already visited
goes to the first post on the first page. 

This happens with

• laptop running Windows 7, using Chrome
  • iPad Mini 1, OS 9, Puffin browser
  • iPhone 7+, OS 12.4.1, Safari
2 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

I still have this issue. Links in streams still don't have ?do=getnewcomment at the end, so still go to the first post.

I'm still having the same problem of it not going to the first new post.  I'm also having a new problem now - when I click Forum Follows it gives me an error "Sorry there is a problem."

Sorry, there is a problem

Something went wrong. Please try again.

Error code: EX1054

This is both on Firefox and Safari.

Edited by izabella

I have this problem, still - PC Windows 10/ Firefox

Also, since the last update, if there is more than one thread with a new post in the forum, and I open the first thread, the clickable notification at the bottom of the thread no longer tells me the name of the next thread with unread posts. It just says "Next Unread Topic."

On 9/16/2019 at 6:06 PM, izabella said:

I'm still having the same problem of it not going to the first new post.  I'm also having a new problem now - when I click Forum Follows it gives me an error "Sorry there is a problem."

This is both on Firefox and Safari.

There was a whole thread dedicated to this issue, which I'm unable to find at the moment (The issue is still there for me on the "Manage Topics" tab, not the "Manage forums" tab. Same message with Error code: EX1052)

I'm again seeing the problem of when I click on a notification, it briefly goes to the correct post, then jumps back a couple of posts. I saw this a week or two ago, then it was resolved. Now it's back.

the problem I reported on October 5 has not been seen since around then-- but in fact my unread tag was set to "go to top of page". But I'm not sure that is relevant to what I was seeing (and what I was not seeing recently). Anyway I'll report if I see it again. Basically I was clicking on a "new post notification" and it would briefly go to new content, then jump back a few posts. Anyway, haven't seen it in a week or so.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:40 AM, SilverStormm said:

Please check that each Activity Stream's Read Status is set as indicated by the arrow in the screenshot below and let me know if that fixes the issue. Thanks.

hunpchn89y.thumb.jpg.eb31e7e7396f47efc4d340b269c70493.jpg

Still going to first post on first page for me with Read Status selection of "Unread item links take me to the first unread comment"
on Windows 10 Chrome 77.0.3865.120
and on iPhone 7+ OS 13.1.3 Safari 

Sorry

On 10/17/2019 at 7:51 AM, dleighg said:

Basically I was clicking on a "new post notification" and it would briefly go to new content, then jump back a few posts. Anyway, haven't seen it in a week or so.

It's back.......

On 10/5/2019 at 8:21 AM, dleighg said:

I'm again seeing the problem of when I click on a notification, it briefly goes to the correct post, then jumps back a couple of posts. I saw this a week or two ago, then it was resolved. Now it's back.

In the last few days I've started to have this same problem.

@SilverStormm, I read your post about updating the unread status in Activity Streams as a potential solution and I tried it, but I'm a little confused because I have never used Activity Streams.   Should I only have to update this once and it will apply to all threads, or will I have to do it in each thread?  Also, when I click on the Save Changes button it says I must name this new Activity Stream, and I'm unclear if I do this whether it will affect how I normally use the forums.  (Apologies if this sounds incredibly stupid, but I use Manage Followed Content exclusively and have never experimented with anything else.)

Dell laptop, Windows 10, Microsoft Edge. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy

@Quilt Fairy We have a guide on how to use Activity Streams which will hopefully answer your questions. 

On 11/10/2019 at 3:38 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

Should I only have to update this once and it will apply to all threads, or will I have to do it in each thread? 

You would need to do it for each Activity Stream.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:39 PM, aquarian1 said:

@SilverStormm - I just noticed that switching to the newly available (or newly noticed) "IPS Default" theme fixes this issue in Activity Streams.  It still doesn't work in the "Light (Default)" option.  (As seen in other reports, the other theme options currently aren't available).

On 11/7/2019 at 1:24 AM, Brattinella said:

Still happening to me.

Can you let me know if this is still a problem currently please & thanks.

On 11/5/2019 at 3:39 PM, aquarian1 said:

@SilverStormm - I just noticed that switching to the newly available (or newly noticed) "IPS Default" theme fixes this issue in Activity Streams.  It still doesn't work in the "Light (Default)" option.  (As seen in other reports, the other theme options currently aren't available).

Switching to the IPS Default theme worked for me but it's so bright it's hard on my eyes!

On 11/21/2019 at 10:44 PM, Yeah No said:

Switching to the IPS Default theme worked for me but it's so bright it's hard on my eyes!

Yes.
And it is not possible to read oneself to sleep in IPS Default theme mode. ☹️
Is there any plan to implement the IPS Default theme behavior (clicking/tapping on thread title goes to first unread post) in Dark Mode?
Please make it so.

If it can be done in one theme, why not all?

Especially since in Dark Theme mode clicking/tapping on the time stamp no longer goes to the last unread post (now it goes to the user’s last post).

On 1/1/2020 at 11:40 AM, kickingnames said:

I pretty much use the Dark theme exclusively as well, and have set up some activity streams, but the links don’t go to my first unread post either. Is this still being worked for the non-default themes?

41 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

Yep, it's still being looked into; if the Bug/Question/Suggestion is still in the main BQS forum that means it's still active.

Thanks for update. Clicking on the time stamp in dark mode had stopped working last time I checked, so I've been using the default light mode, which, now on the newest iPhone OS version 13 requires tapping the thread title twice.

And since the light mode contributes to insomnia, I am now going to "crawl off to sleep in the bath" for a few minutes.