Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Chapter Ninety

When Jane and Rogelio join forces to pitch a pilot, Jane is excited until she discovers a secret about her book being published. Alba and Jorge make an important decision about their future together. Rafael asks Jane to allow Luisa to meet Mateo, but she is unsure of her decision. Meanwhile, Petra and JR's relationship is once again tested.

Directed by Gina Rodriguez

Promo:

Original air date 5/22/2019

Thank God we got an episode without any stupid love triangles rearing their ugly heads. As long as I stop myself from thinking about Michael all alone with his brain damage and torture a million miles away while all of this is going on, this was a pretty good episode. 

Glad that Alba got her happy ending, even if it took awhile, and the little cartoon at the end was pretty adorable. Its certainly rare on TV to see older people getting some!

Loved the focus on Jane and Rogelio's relationship, which has kind of fallen to the wayside with the love triangle and the cancer plot. I can get why Jane was so upset about Rogelio pulling strings to get her published, but its not like her book wasnt good or he bribed people to put her book out, and he really was just trying to help, and after Michael died, Jane certainly needed a win. And while he has gotten much better about it, Rogelio does have a tendency to try to throw money and gifts at Jane to try and make up for him not being in her life earlier. Jane getting inspiration for her story from her relationship with her dad, and the whole montage of their relationship throughout the show and it progressing actually got me a little teary eyed, and its been awhile since I got those Feels from this show. 

Nice to see Jane and Raf behaving like mature adults for the most part, even if its probably going to end badly with Raf introducing Mateo to Louisa. I do kind of crack up about Roses plant basically playing her stereotypical gay best friend who only exists to be her backup, and how of course she buys it hook line and sinker. 

• Love 2

I loved the connections between Alba/Jorge and Jane's early experiences--the crumpled flower, and Jane repeating back to Alba the first lines of the pilot (that were spoken by a character, rather than the LLN); the cartoon of Alba and Jorge mirroring the cartoon of Jane and Michael, and everyone singing to Alba in church, though IIRC, they sang to Jane "Don't have sex, Jane."  (I'm trying to remember exactly when that was?) I also love that Jane decided to write about her relationship with Rogelio; I'm assuming it was memoir, rather than a fictionalized story (with the montage showing us the inspirations).  I'm curious to see what happens with Petra and JR--whether JR is going to leave.  

• Love 3

though IIRC, they sang to Jane "Don't have sex, Jane."  (I'm trying to remember exactly when that was?)

Actually, I believe they were singing "Go have sex Jane." That was when she got married to Michael (sigh).

• Love 3
(edited)
3 minutes ago, commadrama said:

Actually, I believe they were singing "Go have sex Jane." That was when she got married to Michael (sigh).

Thanks, commadrama (love your name!).  I couldn't remember.  I just thought Alba had had a solo of some sort, so assumed it was "Don't have sex, Jane," but at her wedding makes sense.  🙂

Edited by Turtle Wexler
  • Love 2

Actually, I hated the entire "go have sex, Jane" part of her wedding to Michael.  I didn't find it charming or campy or anything but squirmy, embarrassing, unentertaining, so when revisited in this episode, and especially when Jane sang to her GRANDMOTHER to go have sex, I was not amused. ( I am old, LOL) 

I did enjoy Jane and Rogelio and their moments together, and I hope this is the start of a real career for Jane. Jane the telenovela writer! 

I also enjoyed JR and Petra.  Lots of growth being shown for Petra.  

Still miss Michael.

• Love 5

Loved everything about this episode, except for the end! Enough of freaking Rose already... Let Luisa have her happy ending too!

As others have pointed out, the parallels between Jane and Alba were great throughout the show. The flower, the singing to go have sex, etc... It was all so funny!

I teared up at many points during the episode, but the montage of Jane and her father, as she is writing what I am assuming his a memoir, had me bawling. That was so nice...

JR and Petra are just adorable and I want them to have a really happy ending!

• Love 2

I hated that JR apologized for yelling at the girls. When children are screaming and throwing food, you ARE supposed to tell them to stop misbehaving and to clean up the mess they just made.

On top of that, Jane was right - if you're going to leave your kids with someone, you need to talk to the babysitter or whoever about how to discipline them. Even if the other person has kids, that doesn't mean that they discipline their kids the way that you do. Just basic things like what Petra ended up telling JR (threaten to take away their iPads) would have helped.

Ha, I cracked up when Jane gave Alba a framed flower. The choir singing "Go have sex!" and then everyone joining in was hilarious. I love that the show is giving a positive portrayal of someone over the age of 40 having sex. Usually on tv, anyone considered old having sex is depicted as a joke. I have to admit that part of me is still annoyed with Alba for slut shaming Xo and Jane for so many years.

I loved the compilation of Jane and Rogelio's relationship. They really have some a long way.

• Love 7

I guess it's an unpopular opinion, but I don't enjoy the Petra-JR relationship. It just seems to be all conflict and apologies, week in and week out. They also don't have any chemistry IMO.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

I guess it's an unpopular opinion, but I don't enjoy the Petra-JR relationship. It just seems to be all conflict and apologies, week in and week out. They also don't have any chemistry IMO.

You mean like every other relationship in this show? 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I'll join your club. I totally agree.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Jillybean said:

YES. And if you don't want kids and aren't interested in being around kids (which is a valid choice), don't date someone with kids. It doesn't make JR a bad person any more than having kids makes Petra a good person. Anyone (generally speaking) can reproduce.

• Love 2

I knew Rafael was going to end up at the wedding. The only JTV wedding both Jane and Rafael wasn't present at was, of course, Xo & Ro's Vegas wedding in S1. That's five weddings! A lot of emotional moments in this episode. Jorge & Alba were just adorable. A lot of callbacks. Them making out and Alba staring at the framed flower. J/M in the pilot. The cartoon since it was Alba's first time in decades! J/M in S2. TPTB used both J/R and J/M moments for the slightly less young people. I loved that Jane's gift was a framed flower. Perfect. The "go have sex" song 2.0 was hilarious.  I really believe Luisa is done with Rose, but I still feel terrible for Rafael.  I loved Jane & Rogelio's father-daughter montage. Feels. I felt sad that Jane couldn't call Rafael to share the good news about the pilot pick up. They were just friends for years before starting a romance again. I believe without a doubt they're endgame but it's great to see their friendship mending. So the secret was about Jane's first book like some others believed some weeks ago. But it makes perfect sense since the other one isn't even halfway done. Jennie really made Jane's first book a huge failure. I want to see Jane write her love story with Rafael. We've seen her write about her love story with her parents for the second book. We have seen her write about her S1 love story with Rafael in S4 for that part in SF, but they're beyond that now. Jane is just crazy in love him and it's hilarious and beautiful.

• Love 1

I enjoyed how this episode was so focused on family.  Xo and Alba have come so far in the past few years.  There was always love but I think there's a new understanding.

It looks like Rafael and Luisa are going to end close again, as long as this Rose thing is a fakeout.

Jane and Rogelio did resolve that fight quickly but I think the show is headed back to early season 1 pace where things moved pretty quickly.

I am torn on JR and Petra.  I liked them initially but JR really comes off as uncomfortable with the kids.  That's not an indictment and some step parents get better with time but I'm just not feeling that with JR.  In fact, throughout their relationship, I've always felt Petra was more into JR than she was into Petra.

3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Just sayin'.  I'd like to see Petra's  twins go up against the twins on Single Parents? Can they get their own show?

That reminded me to confirm that they're the same actresses.  I thought they were but then...maybe they were just the inspiration.

• Useful 1

I laughed when they repeated with Alba that scene with Jane from the pilot, I think it was, when she was all hot and bothered with Michael and stopped herself when she saw the flower. I was also amused by everyone singing to Alba to go have sex. I was glad she waited until she married, though. She has changed a lot, but that would have been too much.

What I didn't enjoy was the plot about how Rogelio paid off the publisher to publish Jane's book. It feels like yet another effort to undermine Jane's past with Michael. So, Jane's lifelong dream came true when she published her book about her love story with Michael... lol no, that doesn't count because Rogelio made it happen. It's like they're trying really hard to make sure that every big moment that Michael got is erased retroactively. If they could re-virgin her so she could have her first time with Rafael I think they would. It all feels so mean spirited and I keep finding it very off putting.

I thought Luisa was really cute during this episode and I enjoyed her with Mateo more than I thought I would (i generally dislike that kid), so I groaned inside when the episode ended with Rafael getting that call. This is beyond repetitive at this point, let it go, show. The Rose thing also got old ages ago. My love for Bridget Regan can't save this story.

11 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I don't dislike them, but I too have been finding them repetitive. It's the curse of getting couples together too, soon.

• Love 2

18 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

Jennie really made Jane's first book a huge failure. 

I guess that's really to emphasize how much of a mistake her first love was?

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Irlandesa said:
16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Just sayin'.  I'd like to see Petra's  twins go up against the twins on Single Parents? Can they get their own show?

That reminded me to confirm that they're the same actresses.  I thought they were but then...maybe they were just the inspiration.

Oh, wow!  I did not realize they're the same kids - I just thought they had similar looks and attitudes.  And I watch both shows!  They seem so much younger in Jane.  Nothing like staying busy!

• LOL 1

Love the emphasis on family loving each other. Jane understanding that Ro did what he did out of love (though doing that too much would be a problem, despite good intentions), and Xo not being upset with Alba changing the wedding plans after Xo had put in so much work. Other shows would have had Xo steaming about that. But JTV teaches that making people you love happy is most important.

5 hours ago, smartymarty said:

Xo not being upset with Alba changing the wedding plans after Xo had put in so much work. Other shows would have had Xo steaming about that. But JTV teaches that making people you love happy is most important.

I loved that Xo wasn't creating all these elaborate wedding plans out of her own selfish needs and desires (which is what we often see on other shows). Her motivation in going crazy with the flowers and all the other details were to give her mom a beautiful wedding as a token of her love. I was really glad that she didn't take it personally and have a fit when Alba decided to have a quick wedding much sooner.

On 5/23/2019 at 11:41 AM, Jillybean said:

To each their own, but given that the only other example of a lesbian relationship on this show is the steaming turd pile of plot devices and toxicity that is Rose/Luisa (the two most boring and lazily written characters on the show imo), Petra/JR is at least a solid improvement. I also feel like it's affirmation that Petra's subconsciously attracted to Jane or that Petra/Jane would be dating on some other timeline, which I'm down with.

Cutesy parallels to Jane aside and although senior sex positivity in media is much needed, I'm starting to tire of Horny Alba, which seems to be her only mode this season. We get it, she wants to be railed 24/7 now!!!

I love seeing the 3 Villanueva women together. 

Also love seeing Jane/Petra. They are my real dream couple - not romantically but as a family.

• Love 1