Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
aquarian1

S17.E11: New York City of Dreams

Recommended Posts

A few random thoughts (before new episode airs because I'm running behind on all my shows) ...

On my TV I pegged Jamal's color as vermillion and Sebastian's color as a very pale peach. 

I'm wondering if we got an all-out Tessa Sucks blast tonight to take some of our (my) collective distaste for Hester down a notch and make her inevitable place in the T3 at the expense of more talented (Bishme/Sebastian/Garo, likely the latter) more palatable. 

Also, my assumption (possibly wrong) is that the judges don't see all the footage until later (I don't know how much later) ... would knowing that Tessa was lying like a rug have factored into their decision? 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

Late to the party but let's get it started!!! At this point if there's going to be a woman in the final three, I hope it's Hester and I can't believe I would ever say that. Also wouldn't it have been so great if Tessa's client stood on the runway and told the judges, "I fucking hate this dress."

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Congratulations wannabe Heidi for living up to Heidi's dress code -- too tight, too short, too sparkly, just trashy enough, or maybe too trashy.  A matter of opinion I suppose.

Hester, I can't remember who said it (Coco Chanel?), but before you leave the house, look in the mirror and remove one item - earrings, glasses, whatever.  It's good advice.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/30/2019 at 2:39 PM, Special K said:

So you end up with the "curvier" women in misshapen sacks (like every single season!) because somehow the designers don't understand that they need structure in their garments -- especially if thereare no straps -- egad, I thought the poor woman was going to fall right out last week!

I've always wondered if they are allowed to use appropriate undergarments. The misshapen sacks would look better with supportive undergarments, and in the real world, I would not step out of the house in one of those dresses without something making everything a smooth line underneath.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, auntlada said:

I've always wondered if they are allowed to use appropriate undergarments. The misshapen sacks would look better with supportive undergarments, and in the real world, I would not step out of the house in one of those dresses without something making everything a smooth line underneath.

I think that Brandon asked Jamall during the runway critique if he had access to a bra and Jamall reluctantly said yes. This is an area that has long been unaddressed by the show. I can't think of a specific example, but I'm sure that in the past there have been times when the models wore their own underwear and it didn't work well, but otherwise they would have been unfairly exposed.

Share this post


Link to post

I thought more about it after posting, and especially for the real-world-women episodes, I'd like to see them have access to a selection of foundation garments (that fit the women) -- something similar to the accessory wall. I'd be surprised if designers in the real world preparing for fashion week don't plan what their models will or won't wear underneath the clothes the designers make, so it would be nice to see if these designers could select appropriate undergarments for their designs.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, auntlada said:

I thought more about it after posting, and especially for the real-world-women episodes, I'd like to see them have access to a selection of foundation garments (that fit the women) -- something similar to the accessory wall. I'd be surprised if designers in the real world preparing for fashion week don't plan what their models will or won't wear underneath the clothes the designers make, so it would be nice to see if these designers could select appropriate undergarments for their designs.

In a lot of FW runway photos I've seen, it's clear that what they intend for the models to wear under the clothes is nothing, including when they are sheer and unlined. But as for being worn in the "real world," when you see many of their designs in celebrity red-carpet appearances, not only have they been at least partially lined, they've either been altered to accommodate appropriate undergarments, or so that there is support built into the construction of the garments (e.g., backless gowns that still offer structure to wrangle and support the bust). I agree that it would be great to take this into account in a challenge, such that even if the contestants don't have the experience or expertise to build that into the clothes, they'd still have to make things that can be worn by the women with necessary bras, smoothers if they like, etc.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/30/2019 at 12:46 AM, Marmiarmo said:

The woman in the first photo is Tabria Majors. Christian tagged her in the pic..

I was referring to the first picture in the Elupian 5K 's post, not my own post.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/1/2019 at 10:36 AM, auntlada said:

I've always wondered if they are allowed to use appropriate undergarments. The misshapen sacks would look better with supportive undergarments, and in the real world, I would not step out of the house in one of those dresses without something making everything a smooth line underneath.

Using one might give some designers an advantage but if they MAKE one of their own, like a corset or boning, do you think that is fair?   Yes I do.  I have seen some great structural designs that made a huge impression

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hester fucking Sunshine is perhaps THE most punchable contestant, ever.  I'd imagine the line to bitchslap her is very, very long.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/2/2019 at 6:04 PM, walnutqueen said:

Hester fucking Sunshine is perhaps THE most punchable contestant, ever.  I'd imagine the line to bitchslap her is very, very long.

Well, maybe so.  I have seen every season since the beginning, and there were a couple of others much more annoying.   If you want to just base it on design, that may be true about the punching, but I still think she must be pleasant to be around, non judgmental and  encouraging of her competitors.   She seems well liked. 

The previous ones  could not have left early enough for me.  My mind has gone blank, but some of them were downright mean, rude and vicious, and had too much to say about other peoples work.   One of them even won!  You all know the one.    I try to block that one out.  The others could not have left soon enough for me, but did take a space from a more deserving person by being "safe" because the judges decisions were nuts

Not particularly happy that  Hester is in the final but that is the judges call.  If she had gone home sooner, the final 3 or 4 would have been much different.  Just IMO

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, oceanview said:

My mind has gone blank, but some of them were downright mean, rude and vicious, and had too much to say about other peoples work.  

Ivy comes to mind.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, Special K said:

Ivy comes to mind.

Definitely.  Thank you.    I can see her now.  What a stinker.   Do you recall who won, if I give you a couple of hints?   Another favorite of Nina's,  outfits looked like Holly Hobby on a bad day, nearly caused  Tim Gunn to quit or have a stroke when she won.    I want to say her name began with an E or a G.  I think I just want to forget her   Lol

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, oceanview said:

Definitely.  Thank you.    I can see her now.  What a stinker.   Do you recall who won, if I give you a couple of hints?   Another favorite of Nina's,  outfits looked like Holly Hobby on a bad day, nearly caused  Tim Gunn to quit or have a stroke when she won.    I want to say her name began with an E or a G.  I think I just want to forget her   Lol

Sounds like Erin to me.  Her crappy, craftsy kiddie pool designs were right on par with Hester's, but by treating the other designers decently, Hester now at least seems likeable (ish).  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Gretchen? Erin? Jeffrey Sebelia and Ashley Nell Tipton were unpopular winners, as well. Ashley wasn’t mean that I recall but had a bit of a “poor me” attitude, and I think Tim was unhappy with her win, presumably because he (like many of us) thought it was not based on talent but for reasons of inclusivity.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Babalu said:

Gretchen? Erin? Jeffrey Sebelia and Ashley Nell Tipton were unpopular winners, as well. Ashley wasn’t mean that I recall but had a bit of a “poor me” attitude, and I think Tim was unhappy with her win, presumably because he (like many of us) thought it was not based on talent but for reasons of inclusivity.

DING   DING  DING.... WE HAVE A WINNER     Thank you.....BABALOO      Gretchen is the one i was trying to remember.      I agree about the other 3 also, but  at least Jeffrey had some talent!   I loved that yellow dress with red stripes maybe., it might have been done in Italy.  I loved that one 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, oceanview said:

Definitely.  Thank you.    I can see her now.  What a stinker.   Do you recall who won, if I give you a couple of hints?   Another favorite of Nina's,  outfits looked like Holly Hobby on a bad day, nearly caused  Tim Gunn to quit or have a stroke when she won.    I want to say her name began with an E or a G.  I think I just want to forget her   Lol

I thought you meant Erin, who was crafty and liked to paste stuff on her clothes and do whimsical appliques, etc.  She wasn't especially mean, though, as I recall.

Jeffrey was only mean to that other contestant's mom, as I recall, one of the darker chapters in the history of "real women" challenges.  But he was pretty dismissive of other contestants (then again, so have many others been -- Santino, even probably Christian himself).

This season's group seems uncharacteristically supportive, bonded, and kind to each other, which is refreshing.  It's nearly as pleasant as watching the Great British Baking Show!  😉

Edited by Special K
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Special K said:

I thought you meant Erin, who was crafty and liked to paste stuff on her clothes and do whimsical appliques, etc.  She wasn't especially mean, though, as I recall.

Jeffrey was only mean to that other contestant's mom, as I recall, one of the darker chapters in the history of "real women" challenges.  But he was pretty dismissive of other contestants (then again, so have many others been -- Santino, even probably Christian himself).

This season's group seems uncharacteristically supportive, bonded, and kind to each other, which is refreshing.  It's nearly as pleasant as watching the Great British Baking Show!  😉

I agree...........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 6/4/2019 at 6:25 PM, jrlr said:

Sounds like Erin to me.  Her crappy, craftsy kiddie pool designs were right on par with Hester's, but by treating the other designers decently, Hester now at least seems likeable (ish).  

Erin was a pain, no kidding

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/2/2019 at 6:04 PM, walnutqueen said:

Hester fucking Sunshine is perhaps THE most punchable contestant, ever.  I'd imagine the line to bitchslap her is very, very long.

I'd take ten of her over the twins.

  • Like 12
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, bitchin camaro said:

I'd take ten of her over the twins

Indeed.

Seriously though, they're all heinous.

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/5/2019 at 9:30 PM, bitchin camaro said:

I'd take ten of her over the twins.

OMG the TWINS!  They had blessedly faded from my memory.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/2/2019 at 6:04 PM, walnutqueen said:

Hester fucking Sunshine is perhaps THE most punchable contestant, ever.  I'd imagine the line to bitchslap her is very, very long.

She's close, but the winner of that contest for me will always be Kenley.  God, how I despised her.  Her nastiness towards the judges and other designers was unreal.  I prayed weekly for Nina to disembowel her on the runway.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

She's close, but the winner of that contest for me will always be Kenley.  God, how I despised her.  Her nastiness towards the judges and other designers was unreal.  I prayed weekly for Nina to disembowel her on the runway.

Heh.  This could be the start of a beautiful murder pact friendship.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size