Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E11: New York City of Dreams

• Start Topic

On 5/30/2019 at 2:39 PM, Special K said:

So you end up with the "curvier" women in misshapen sacks (like every single season!) because somehow the designers don't understand that they need structure in their garments -- especially if thereare no straps -- egad, I thought the poor woman was going to fall right out last week!

I've always wondered if they are allowed to use appropriate undergarments. The misshapen sacks would look better with supportive undergarments, and in the real world, I would not step out of the house in one of those dresses without something making everything a smooth line underneath.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, auntlada said:

I've always wondered if they are allowed to use appropriate undergarments. The misshapen sacks would look better with supportive undergarments, and in the real world, I would not step out of the house in one of those dresses without something making everything a smooth line underneath.

I think that Brandon asked Jamall during the runway critique if he had access to a bra and Jamall reluctantly said yes. This is an area that has long been unaddressed by the show. I can't think of a specific example, but I'm sure that in the past there have been times when the models wore their own underwear and it didn't work well, but otherwise they would have been unfairly exposed.

I thought more about it after posting, and especially for the real-world-women episodes, I'd like to see them have access to a selection of foundation garments (that fit the women) -- something similar to the accessory wall. I'd be surprised if designers in the real world preparing for fashion week don't plan what their models will or won't wear underneath the clothes the designers make, so it would be nice to see if these designers could select appropriate undergarments for their designs.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, auntlada said:

I thought more about it after posting, and especially for the real-world-women episodes, I'd like to see them have access to a selection of foundation garments (that fit the women) -- something similar to the accessory wall. I'd be surprised if designers in the real world preparing for fashion week don't plan what their models will or won't wear underneath the clothes the designers make, so it would be nice to see if these designers could select appropriate undergarments for their designs.

In a lot of FW runway photos I've seen, it's clear that what they intend for the models to wear under the clothes is nothing, including when they are sheer and unlined. But as for being worn in the "real world," when you see many of their designs in celebrity red-carpet appearances, not only have they been at least partially lined, they've either been altered to accommodate appropriate undergarments, or so that there is support built into the construction of the garments (e.g., backless gowns that still offer structure to wrangle and support the bust). I agree that it would be great to take this into account in a challenge, such that even if the contestants don't have the experience or expertise to build that into the clothes, they'd still have to make things that can be worn by the women with necessary bras, smoothers if they like, etc.

• Love 5
On 6/1/2019 at 10:36 AM, auntlada said:

Using one might give some designers an advantage but if they MAKE one of their own, like a corset or boning, do you think that is fair?   Yes I do.  I have seen some great structural designs that made a huge impression

• Love 1
On 6/2/2019 at 6:04 PM, walnutqueen said:

Hester fucking Sunshine is perhaps THE most punchable contestant, ever.  I'd imagine the line to bitchslap her is very, very long.

Well, maybe so.  I have seen every season since the beginning, and there were a couple of others much more annoying.   If you want to just base it on design, that may be true about the punching, but I still think she must be pleasant to be around, non judgmental and  encouraging of her competitors.   She seems well liked. 

The previous ones  could not have left early enough for me.  My mind has gone blank, but some of them were downright mean, rude and vicious, and had too much to say about other peoples work.   One of them even won!  You all know the one.    I try to block that one out.  The others could not have left soon enough for me, but did take a space from a more deserving person by being "safe" because the judges decisions were nuts

Not particularly happy that  Hester is in the final but that is the judges call.  If she had gone home sooner, the final 3 or 4 would have been much different.  Just IMO

• Love 4
12 hours ago, oceanview said:

My mind has gone blank, but some of them were downright mean, rude and vicious, and had too much to say about other peoples work.  

Ivy comes to mind.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Special K said:

Ivy comes to mind.

Definitely.  Thank you.    I can see her now.  What a stinker.   Do you recall who won, if I give you a couple of hints?   Another favorite of Nina's,  outfits looked like Holly Hobby on a bad day, nearly caused  Tim Gunn to quit or have a stroke when she won.    I want to say her name began with an E or a G.  I think I just want to forget her   Lol

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, oceanview said:

Definitely.  Thank you.    I can see her now.  What a stinker.   Do you recall who won, if I give you a couple of hints?   Another favorite of Nina's,  outfits looked like Holly Hobby on a bad day, nearly caused  Tim Gunn to quit or have a stroke when she won.    I want to say her name began with an E or a G.  I think I just want to forget her   Lol

Sounds like Erin to me.  Her crappy, craftsy kiddie pool designs were right on par with Hester's, but by treating the other designers decently, Hester now at least seems likeable (ish).  

• Love 3

Gretchen? Erin? Jeffrey Sebelia and Ashley Nell Tipton were unpopular winners, as well. Ashley wasn’t mean that I recall but had a bit of a “poor me” attitude, and I think Tim was unhappy with her win, presumably because he (like many of us) thought it was not based on talent but for reasons of inclusivity.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Babalu said:

Gretchen? Erin? Jeffrey Sebelia and Ashley Nell Tipton were unpopular winners, as well. Ashley wasn’t mean that I recall but had a bit of a “poor me” attitude, and I think Tim was unhappy with her win, presumably because he (like many of us) thought it was not based on talent but for reasons of inclusivity.

DING   DING  DING.... WE HAVE A WINNER     Thank you.....BABALOO      Gretchen is the one i was trying to remember.      I agree about the other 3 also, but  at least Jeffrey had some talent!   I loved that yellow dress with red stripes maybe., it might have been done in Italy.  I loved that one 

• Love 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, oceanview said:

I thought you meant Erin, who was crafty and liked to paste stuff on her clothes and do whimsical appliques, etc.  She wasn't especially mean, though, as I recall.

Jeffrey was only mean to that other contestant's mom, as I recall, one of the darker chapters in the history of "real women" challenges.  But he was pretty dismissive of other contestants (then again, so have many others been -- Santino, even probably Christian himself).

This season's group seems uncharacteristically supportive, bonded, and kind to each other, which is refreshing.  It's nearly as pleasant as watching the Great British Baking Show!  😉

Edited by Special K
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Special K said:

I thought you meant Erin, who was crafty and liked to paste stuff on her clothes and do whimsical appliques, etc.  She wasn't especially mean, though, as I recall.

Jeffrey was only mean to that other contestant's mom, as I recall, one of the darker chapters in the history of "real women" challenges.  But he was pretty dismissive of other contestants (then again, so have many others been -- Santino, even probably Christian himself).

This season's group seems uncharacteristically supportive, bonded, and kind to each other, which is refreshing.  It's nearly as pleasant as watching the Great British Baking Show!  😉

I agree...........

• Love 1
On 6/4/2019 at 6:25 PM, jrlr said:

Sounds like Erin to me.  Her crappy, craftsy kiddie pool designs were right on par with Hester's, but by treating the other designers decently, Hester now at least seems likeable (ish).  

Erin was a pain, no kidding

On 6/2/2019 at 6:04 PM, walnutqueen said:

Hester fucking Sunshine is perhaps THE most punchable contestant, ever.  I'd imagine the line to bitchslap her is very, very long.

She's close, but the winner of that contest for me will always be Kenley.  God, how I despised her.  Her nastiness towards the judges and other designers was unreal.  I prayed weekly for Nina to disembowel her on the runway.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

She's close, but the winner of that contest for me will always be Kenley.  God, how I despised her.  Her nastiness towards the judges and other designers was unreal.  I prayed weekly for Nina to disembowel her on the runway.

Heh.  This could be the start of a beautiful murder pact friendship.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1